THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Is this really the new world record lion????????

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this really the new world record lion????????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Giraffe Hunter
posted
I just found this on Ebay. I thought the current record was taken in Zimbabwe in the late 1990's. What do you guys think?

World Record Lion

Posts: 286 | Location: Corning, NY | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who knows, but if I shot a lion like that I certainly would not auction it off!

Posts: 83 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And a letter certifting this from the American Sportsmans Club?

Posts: 1473 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Take it with a major dose of salt.

"World record lion" according to whom? Which record book?

Does the seller have all the supporting documentation?

Is the skull included in the auction?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the starting bid price, I will go shoot my own.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Most probably killed with a "45-70 Mbogo Deluxe"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Measuring by length is a skill learned a long time ago by the brown bear guides in Alaska.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Not even a chance that it is a "world record"! Hard to tell from a picture, but the skull on this lion would be around 25-26 SCI score. The #1 lion is 28 1/16 from Zimbabwe with Rusty and Safari Trackers from the last SCI Edition. Don't know if this has been beat yet for the next edition. I do know that one of our clients "Mike McDonald" who hunted with Harpreet and Rungwa Game Safaris in Selous last year took a #4 lion which had a 27" skull. I would put a picture of it, but do not know how to do the picture stuff here.

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Quote:

And a letter certifting this from the American Sportsmans Club?

My blood almost boiled when I saw that letterhead. the American Sportsmans Club was a total scam, and was shut down after a class action lawsuit was brought against them. I bought a "membership" in 1984 after a guy came to my house with photo albums showing all these neat properties with lakes, cabins, trophies taken, and a map covered in stars where all theese properties were.

After I gave them my money, I tried to book a weekend, and of course every property in the US was already booked for 6 months. I signed on to the closest one, and when I finally got there, it was nothing like the book described it.

It was a dry dirt lot with an overflowing trash can, shot gun shells all over the place, and a tree so full of lead it was half dead.

I tried to get my money back, and they folded up.

Obviously this guy is/was in cahoots, and they have NO credibility, or authority to authenticate anything. I'd kick his ass myself just for having that letterhead in his posession.

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice lion but for 25 grand I'll go and shoot a bunch of stuff myself.

Posts: 19394 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
I'm hardy knowledgeable about Lions. That guy does seem to have much of a main? I just trophysare in te eye of the behoulder

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone notice who is selling it?Hollysthings?She probably got it in the divorce and is selling it just to rub it in.

Bravo

Posts: 109 | Location: New Mexico,USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If Mr. St. Clair is claiming his lion is the new world record because the skull measurement finally broke the 17 inch length barrier, he is several years too late. According to Rowland Ward's 24th edition, the number 1 lion is 28 3/4, with a skull length of 18 1/4. Number 2 is 28 1/2. Rowland Ward's number 1 lion was taken in 1968.

Kathi

kathi@wldtravel.com

Posts: 9373 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA!
That story and the letter from the American Sportsman Club are a nice touch! Do you spell lion S-C-A-M?

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote