New
Find
Notify
Tools

Large Leopards? Which country?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking at which country offers the best opportunity at taking a large Leopard? Any suggestions to country and area please. Zimbabawe, Zambia, ?????

Posts: 156 | Location: Satsuma, Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Botswana IMHO. They have such limited quota and they are absolute pigs if you get a permit in a good area. In KD 2 concession (Kalahari proper), which is 2 million acreas they get one permit. The best hunt for leopard again IMHO is a tracking hunt with the bushmen and dogs in Bots. You know from the track it is big. When you close it doesn't get anymore exciting. Sitting on a bait ain't my cup of tea. They are expensive though.

Kalahari Lion (Bots 07)

Posts: 101 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bearhunter,

Several countries will produce an outsized leopard but I think your chances of getting a really big tom are higher in Zimbabwe's lowveld than anywhere else. The Save Valley Conservancy consistently gives up leopards in that 150# plus class and 170# to 200# is definitely possible. Success is about 70%-80% overall. Having said that if you don't know this those hunts are night affairs and the leopard killed with the asistance of a spot light usually. That of course does not equal an easy hunt and in fact my clients have found it to be an intense affair until the leopard is in the salt.

You might shoot a smaller leoaprd on the Luangwa river in Zambia with John Du Plooy or Andrew Baldry (120#-140#) with a few larger but it will be a daylight hunt with nearly 100% success. Once you have a big cat feeding and you might have multiple toms feeding you'll only sit your blind early AM and late PM. You'll sleep in your bed at camp and hunt other game during the day. I prefer this hunt but as I said the Lowveld of Zim can produce a bigger cat.

You'll get lots of feedback on this and where anyone shoots a big cat will be their first choice but I don't think consistently you can do much better than the Save or on the Luangwa.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12931 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Whenever the subject of leopards comes up, an awful lot of people start waffling about body weights but in reality, body weight means absolutely nothing because it can vary so much depending upon when the animal last mated or ate etc.

Frankly, (IMO) all the talk of weight is either from gullible hunters who have been told it means something or sales hyperbole.

The way to judge a leopard is to do it the way ALL the record books do it, which is by skull measurements alone and nothing else.

Be that as it may though, and at the risk of sounding like a smug git, Wink I'll bet the first round of drinks, I can post pics of leopards that were taken in Tanzania and are bigger than any taken in SA, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia or anywhere else in huntable Africa.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
The key to successful leopard hunting is to hunt in an area with lots of cats. The key to successful hunting of big leopards is to hunt in an area with lots of big cats. Easy, right? The record books and PH associations are good sources of and indicators of these criteria.

No doubt there are large leopards in every country where leopard are actively hunted. However, whether you shoot a true whopper or just a nice tom leopard is largely a matter of luck. I killed a monster tom in the Save my first time out. A year later, I killed a real nice tom, also in the Save. I am proud of them both eventhough one is significantly larger than the other. In neither case did we set out to hunt a monster cat or a specific tom.

When I hunt leopard in 2011 and 2012, I'll be hoping to get that mature male on the bait and, if we do, I'll be proud of the success and the experience, and if we shoot another monster cat, that will be a great bonus.

I think the real question to ask is when, where, and how do you want to hunt, how much time do you have to hunt, what other species do you want to hunt, and how much do you want to spend.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shakari, are you planning on posting the photo of Marrs Bowman's leopard taken with TAWICO?

I've heard so much about the lowveld and Kitumbeine leopards that I'm hesitant to say another place is better, but I do think Zambia's Kafue should be considered, too. I expect Andrew Baldry and Aaron Neilson will agree with this. The Zambian record was taken in the Lunga Luswishi in 2004, and photos suggest it was a 200 pounder if such a thing exists. I shot a 7'8" cat there this summer, and we saw tracks from another tom the same size, with other, only slightly smaller cats having been identified earlier in the season. My understanding is that the Luangwa has higher success, but that the Kafue produces bigger cats.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Sandy,

No. Wink

What did your leopard's skull measure?

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...391030111#3391030111

My husband took two leopards in Zim, with one being a 172 pound old tom. With that being said if I was given a choice of where to hunt leopard it would be Ethiopia. They take huge cats during daylight with some being black.

We were in Ethiopia during October 2009 and there was leopard tracks and sign everywhere, including a leopard's kill (bushpig) hanging in a tree.

On the negative side, leopards from Ethiopia cannot be imported into the U.S.A.

Good luck on your search and hunt.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9417 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Kathi

Admittedly Ethiopia seems to have a higher percentage than most other places but black leopards occur in most parts of Africa.

The KNP just up the road from me produces fairly regular sightings of them, The Pietersburg area seems to have a fair number and (FWIW) I saw one in the SGR in Tanzania about 15 years ago.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I never have had a hunter contact me requesting to shoot a leopard with a Rowland Ward head measurement. Speaking of leopard's trophy size in weight is the same as speaking of a moose's trophy quality in relation to the width of its antlers. It is the common language that most people understand that reflects the overall trophy quality of the animal. When I talk to safari opertors about how their year went concerning leopards they always talk about weight first and then maybe length and head size. When Neil Duckworth tells me his client shot a 187# leopard I don't say "but how big was his head. I say "Holy shit that's a monster".

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12931 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
clap 17 3/16" skull and taken in the lowveld of Zimbabwe.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Steve,

I never have had a hunter contact me requesting to shoot a leopard with a Rowland Ward head measurement. Speaking of leopard's trophy size in weight is the same as speaking of a moose's trophy quality in relation to the width of its antlers. It is the common language that most people understand that reflects the overall trophy quality of the animal. When I talk to safari opertors about how their year went concerning leopards they always talk about weight first and then maybe length and head size. When Neil Duckworth tells me his client shot a 187# leopard I don't say "but how big was his head. I say "Holy shit that's a monster".

Mark

Mark,

That just goes to show you how so many gullible hunters fall for the sales hyperbole.

Ask yourself why do all ALL the record book criteria for cats is for skull measurement alone and nothing else.......

I'll also repeat my previous comment which said: Frankly, (IMO) all the talk of weight is either from gullible hunters who have been told it means something or sales hyperbole.

However, perhaps you can name a record book organisation that does use weight or even length as a criteria for quality?

The reason they don't is because weight will always be dependent on the factors I mentioned AND that both weight and length are both so easily open to abuse by the unscrupulous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Well! Lions are entered in the book by skull size also. Do you really think if a client shoots a lion with great hair that 1 of 100 clients cares where in the book their magnificently maned lion falls? I don't.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Wayne Grant's book "INTO THE THORNS" describes the hunting in an area west of the Matobo Hills in Zimbabwe.

The cats we shot there were truly massive, and nowhere else in Africa have I seen an area consistantly produce leopard of this calibre. The biggest, if I remember, had a skull measurement over 19", and won the PH an award with the ZPHGA.

Body weight was also way up there.

Posts: 534 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Steve,

Well! Lions are entered in the book by skull size also. Do you really think if a client shoots a lion with great hair that 1 of 100 clients cares where in the book their magnificently maned lion falls? I don't.

Mark

Mark,

That's not much of a well reasoned reply but thanks for telling me how they measure lions anyway. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes rotflmo

However, you might like to check the title of the thread...... it says leopards. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Stephen Goldfinch
posted Hide Post
South Africa's Limpopo if you can get a tag. Huge cats. But I think you've got your answer. Southern Zim from the Limpopo to the Tuli. Some huge cats have also come from Sentinel, though that place isn't so easy to hunt (or book a hunt that is). The problem you'll find most places (at least I have found) is an over-abundance of females. I just returned from a hunt and had at least 10 different females on bait and not 1 male.

"Sleep When You're Dead!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll also repeat my previous comment which said: Frankly, (IMO) all the talk of weight is either from gullible hunters who have been told it means something or sales hyperbole.

I'm not gullible and I don't need to sell anyone anything on here and I can tell you weight is important in talking about cats. If a cat weighs 200 lbs with a full stomach or 200 lbs with an empty stomach he is still a giant and anyone would be a complete fool not to shoot him. If you are wanting to tell clients that kill 180 lb cats that thier cat is just allright because if he had an empty belly he would only weigh 155 lbs, you need to touch up on your sales skills. Skull size is an even weaker form of judging cats to me. I have seen a namibian leopard with a 17.5 inch skull that wasn't but a scrawny 7 feet. I have seen a leopard that was seven feet six inch cat out of the lowveldt that didn't even break 17 inches. Every single client would have shot the 7.5 footer if those cats were standing next to each other. Immature leopard don't break 180 lbs no matter how much meat you pack into thier guts. Once they get to that weight full guts or no you are dealing with a hell of a trophy that deserves respect, and when a hunter or PH says he wants to show me a pic of a 180 lb or bigger cat, he has my full attention.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stephen,

Yeah! I just had clients return from a leoaprd hunt on the Save with Mokore. They had 7 diferent females feeding right up until day 11 when 4 males hit 4 different baits and on day 12 they killed their leopard. Frustrating that might be but it surely shows the abundance of cats and food for cats on the Conservancy.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not gullible and I don't need to sell anyone anything on here and I can tell you weight is important in talking about cats. If a cat weighs 200 lbs with a full stomach or 200 lbs with an empty stomach he is still a giant and anyone would be a complete fool not to shoot him. If you are wanting to tell clients that kill 180 lb cats that thier cat is just allright because if he had an empty belly he would only weigh 155 lbs, you need to touch up on your sales skills. Skull size is an even weaker form of judging cats to me. I have seen a namibian leopard with a 17.5 inch skull that wasn't but a scrawny 7 feet. I have seen a leopard that was seven feet six inch cat out of the lowveldt that didn't even break 17 inches. Every single client would have shot the 7.5 footer if those cats were standing next to each other. Immature leopard don't break 180 lbs no matter how much meat you pack into thier guts. Once they get to that weight full guts or no you are dealing with a hell of a trophy that deserves respect, and when a hunter or PH says he wants to show me a pic of a 180 lb or bigger cat, he has my full attention.

smarterthnu,

I wish I had said basically the same. Thanks for nailing the subject.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of Stephen Goldfinch
posted Hide Post
Mark,
unfortunately, I think this problem is more our govt's fault than any natural thing. If we can't import females, no one shoots them, and we end up with the same problem we have with deer here. This is a continuing and growing problem throughout Africa. It seems like you have to wade through 10-12 females on average to find one male. I know the males territory is larger, etc...but geesh.

"Sleep When You're Dead!"

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smarterthanu:

With all due respect and honestly without meaning to insult you, I'll try to explain why you're wrong.

A big leopard can easily eat half an impala at a sitting and that weight once eaten and before it's digested, obviously adds itself to the weight of the cat. Therefore the weight of the cat can vary by something like 25% at the very least....... it's the same cat with the same skull measurement but with two very different body weights. One weight sounds helluva impressive to a client whereas the other sounds somewhat more mediocre.

BUT IT'S STILL THE SAME SKULL MEASUREMENT. Which is why ALL the record books judge by skull measurement AND NOTHING ELSE. Incidentally, as a cat ages, the skull widens which is another reason the skull measurement and nothing else is used by the record books.

You can also forget length because any and all cats are extremely flexible. In fact, a freshly killed cat will stretch whether you like it or not and will then contract to a more natural shape as rigor mortis sets in.

Believe me, the only criteria that's accurate and can't me misjudged either deliberately or accidentally is skull measurement.

As an example of how they stretch, check the last pic here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...unting-mr-spots.html. I'd been holding that cat in my arms for no more than a minute or two and you can see how it's already started to stretch.

alternatively, just look at a domestic cat on a hot day and see how far it'll stretch it's body out on a cold floor to cool itself down.

As I said, I don't mean to insult anyone at all but this fixation about body weight is nothing more than sales BS or hyperbole put out by people trying to sell hunts by impressing people with utter bollocks.

It's no more scientific than telling a car buyer he should buy the red one because red is always faster! rotflmo

Why else do you think ALL the various record books judge by skull measurement alone and nothing else? Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, next I'll guess you're gonna tell me my blue car isn't more economical because blue paint weighs less? Smiler

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil-PH:
Wayne Grant's book "INTO THE THORNS" describes the hunting in an area west of the Matobo Hills in Zimbabwe.

The cats we shot there were truly massive, and nowhere else in Africa have I seen an area consistantly produce leopard of this calibre. The biggest, if I remember, had a skull measurement over 19", and won the PH an award with the ZPHGA.

Body weight was also way up there.

+1 recommendation for Wayne Grant's book. Wayne takes some real toads in the Matopos.

Wayne and I shot this brute in Moz. He said it was on the smallish size compared to what lives in the lowveld.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Two from the Save. 2009 and 2010. BTW: I'm 6' and 240lbs. Hope to do as well in 2011 and 2012.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, we didn't measure the skull on my leopard, but I'll let you know once I get it back. The cat was very long (no stretching required), with big feet, but I don't know that its head was particularly huge. I've only seen one dead leopard in person, though, so I won't dare to make a skull measurement guess. I'd post a photo, but I'm holding off on such things, including an AR report, until after a magazine article on the hunt runs.

For what it's worth, I recall that the Zambian record's skull was north of 18".

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
Steve, next I'll guess you're gonna tell me my blue car isn't more economical because blue paint weighs less? Smiler

Red

Mate, with a name like Dago Red, I'm very disappointed to hear you have a blue car! rotflmo

Sandy,

I'll look forward to seeing your pics but in the meantime, which magazine?

More generally, there's some very nice leopards here but still none as good as the ones from the Tanzanian areas I have in mind.

Any more takers?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, it's supposed to run in the DSC magazine.

Are you ever going to post your photos? Saying that you've got pictures of bigger leopards and then not posting anything is akin to telling someone you have a full house but not showing your cards. Let's see those pictures!

Last time this topic came up on AR, some big cats were posted, including the Bowman cat and the Zambian record. Here's the thread:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...971039521#1971039521

Are you saying you have pictures of clearly bigger leopards? Wow!

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.scifirstforhunters....os.cfm?bookID=137557

19 11/16 skull, one big cat!!!! Is this cat from Botswana with Jeff Rann?

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9417 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Sandy,

I'm not a member of DSC but will hope some kind soul sends me a copy of the article.

I'll wait a while before posting the links to the pics but yes, they're considerably bigger than anything posted so far.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Sandy,

Check the 1st post on the thread you posted....... it's the same company/areas.

They're helluva expensive but they produce leopards that are truly mucking fonsters!

I'll add that another place for monster leopards, albeit a slightly different one would be Iran.

It must be 20+ years ago now that the Govt there tried to get me interested in the cat hunting and the pics they sent me were simply breathtaking....... the problem was I wasn't about to take clients into an area where some bloody Immam could walk into camp and flog my client for drinking a G&T. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
Originally posted by smarterthanu:

With all due respect and honestly without meaning to insult you, I'll try to explain why you're wrong.

A big leopard can easily eat half an impala at a sitting and that weight once eaten and before it's digested, obviously adds itself to the weight of the cat. Therefore the weight of the cat can vary by something like 25% at the very least....... it's the same cat with the same skull measurement but with two very different body weights. One weight sounds helluva impressive to a client whereas the other sounds somewhat more mediocre.

BUT IT'S STILL THE SAME SKULL MEASUREMENT. Which is why ALL the record books judge by skull measurement AND NOTHING ELSE. Incidentally, as a cat ages, the skull widens which is another reason the skull measurement and nothing else is used by the record books.

You can also forget length because any and all cats are extremely flexible. In fact, a freshly killed cat will stretch whether you like it or not and will then contract to a more natural shape as rigor mortis sets in.

Believe me, the only criteria that's accurate and can't me misjudged either deliberately or accidentally is skull measurement.

As an example of how they stretch, check the last pic here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...unting-mr-spots.html. I'd been holding that cat in my arms for no more than a minute or two and you can see how it's already started to stretch.

alternatively, just look at a domestic cat on a hot day and see how far it'll stretch it's body out on a cold floor to cool itself down.

As I said, I don't mean to insult anyone at all but this fixation about body weight is nothing more than sales BS or hyperbole put out by people trying to sell hunts by impressing people with utter bollocks.

It's no more scientific than telling a car buyer he should buy the red one because red is always faster! rotflmo

Why else do you think ALL the various record books judge by skull measurement alone and nothing else? Roll Eyes

Remember, he is "smarter than you". Roll Eyes

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
clap 17 3/16" skull and taken in the lowveld of Zimbabwe.

(insert chinese accent here)Confiucious say, "picture worth a thousand words", yup the Zim Lowveldt..jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't claim to be an expert on most anything else but drinking johnny walker red, but i have spent somewhere around 100 days hunting mr spots. I have to agree with mark young that the best chance for big leopard is in the loveld. Now i didn't say the bigggest leopeard, cause that may some from somewhere else, but the lad cattle country of zim has bred big cats. Skul, weight, length - i don't give a chit. a big cat is a big cat. by biggest came from that loveld country after 4 hunts and 54 days . that cat was 17 15/15 skull, 7' 10" AND OVER 200 #'S (scale only went that far) On that hunt we had 15 cats on bair - 15 cats, - 15 cats - 15 cats. if you can beat that - do so with a big stick. now this is a post about chances - and i really don't believe than there is any place that can beat chances like that. this hunt was with jumbo moore in the arda. Actually i hunted for 2 years for a cat that i still think was larger in an area about 50 KM from where we were, but that one was not to be. OK now the plus is that the cat there is probably going to cost you a hellova lot less $$ than most anywhere else (luck excepted) . If i was to go back tomorrow (gods provide) i'd go back to the save, and hopefully should i live long enuf, I will

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's no more scientific than telling a car buyer he should buy the red one because red is always faster!

Why else do you think ALL the various record books judge by skull measurement alone and nothing else?

Remember, he is "smarter than you".

I understand cats gorging themselves can eat a lot of meat. Lets say a cat does eat 20 lbs of meat before your client pokes him and now he weighs 180. Are you really going to stick your snooty nose in the air and say the cat really should only be a 160 lb cat? Hell, a 160 lb leopard is still a big son of a bitch. Thats my point. And very few people can't wait to see thier big cat skull. They want to see a big barrell chested leopard mount with forarms like popeye and a neck as big as his waist. And leopard spines don't shrink and stretch the spinal tissue is too weak and would break. They have a lot of flexibility in the spine through curving and straightening. More than likely when you picked up the cat, it had a flexed curve in his spine and after a while of hanging in your grip it just straightened out. The oldest leopard I have ever had my hands on was a Botswana cat that only had a 14.5 inch skull. Big skulls are a genetic trait and after a certian point in life they will stop growing in a leopard. They measure skulls because that is the only reasonable option the record books have. Top ten SCI trophies have to be measured by a master measurer and since most people don't go hunting with a master measurer, so that a corpse could be measured or weighed on sight, we have to use the one piece that can be transfered internationaly, to a master measurer, the skull. I hope you are not insulted now because you know how you are wrong.

Dogcat,

I am not smarterthanshakari, or smarterthanyou. I am Smarterthanu, so pull your panties out of your crack and debate like you are older than 14.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i don't claim to be an expert on most anything else but drinking johnny walker red

While we're on the topic of not claiming to be an expert: Hopefully you're not claiming to be an expert at knowing what is good Scotch! Big Grin

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
-This guy came from the Selous R2 in 2009.

big body

Big head

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Several great areas but luck plays a big role in taking big toms. Not only area, but time of year and a good PH who knows how to hunt old toms. The best places have been mentioned.
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:

Steve, maybe you should spend more time listening to the consumer than telling the consumer what he wants. I shot a nice leopard in '08 and never measured the skull, But i did weigh him. What does that tell you?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Smarter,

I'm not being snooty at all..... in fact, there's not a snooty bone in my body but I do believe in science and I do hate sales BS.

If you don't believe cats stretch then take a look at the pic in the link I mentioned or for an even better example,take a look at the pic Jorge posted........ If you can't see that leopard has stretched out of his normal shape, you might like to get your eyes tested. rotflmo

Mate, you don't drive a red car by any chance do you? Wink

Regarding your comment of "I shot a nice leopard in '08 and never measured the skull, But i did weigh him. What does that tell you?"

What that tells me is that you fell for the sales hyperbole that many companies like to trade on. If you wanted a true gauge of the cat (and I appreciate you might not have done. After all and IMO, any mature male leopard hunted ethically is an excellent trophy), you'd have measured the skull.

More seriously, I'd rather tell the consumer the truth than mislead him with sales bollocks that has zero meaning..... but thanks for the suggestion anyway. Wink

As I'd said before. If body weight or indeed length was a reliable way to judge a cat trophy then the record book organisations would be using it as at least part of their criteria....... BUT THEY DON'T.

ALL of them use skull measurement alone and in fact, all use the identical measurement method of length plus width across the zygomatic arches.

Hell even RW & SCI use exactly the same method and there ain't much they agree on...... and I'm still waiting for someone to name a single organisation that does judge cats by weight or length...... or in the case of lions (to keep Mark happy) mane length! animal

Going back to the original question. The biggest leopards I know of are the ones in the Ramoni areas of Tanzania. Take a visit to www.tanzaniabiggame.com and spend time sorting through their image galleries. Admittedly they're not cheap but some of their leopards are simply huge and quality is never cheap.

Another thing that people might like to do is look at the record books and see how often Tanzania ranks in the top 50 or so of each book.

I'll close by saying, I tend to think the record book thing needs to be kept in perspective and it's far from being the be all and end all of hunting. As I see it, one should judge the trophy primarily by the excitement and quality of the hunt...... but that doesn't alter the fact that I don't think that body weight or length are a meaningful way of judging a trophy.

But hey, it's your trophy and if it makes you feel good to tell people you shot an animal that weighed whatever number of pounds then go for it. Wink

Just don't expect me to be impressed by that information. rotflmo

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Going slightly off topic for a moment. The more I learn about those areas I mentioned, the more it seems to me as though it's almost like there are two separate sub species of leopard in those areas.

Some of the leopards look to be much the same as anywhere else but for some reason others are damn near the size of a lioness and I'd love to be able to see a (simply written) report on the DNA testing of some of the cats there.

P'raps the Aggie team might be able to comment on that?