THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What do you take to make you sleep on the long flight when going to AFRICA

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you take to make you sleep on the long flight when going to AFRICA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of white north
posted
What do you take on your flight to aid sleeping. Is it over the counter?, off the shelf? I will be leaving this june and would like to take something to help me sleep on the long flight. Just do not know what to get or what is out there. There are no doctors where I come from, so I just cant go ask a doctor.

White North

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take a traditional Australian medication - BEER!! You will find it most therapeutic!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johnny Walker works for me!

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of white north
posted Hide Post
I do not drink beer, wine or that fire water stuff.

White North

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ambien or tylenol pm.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't take anything but some of my family takes Benadryl.

You can buy it over the counter in any Drugstore.
Take a couple and you should be out for 10 hours.

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being on a plane heading to africa to hunt does not make me sleep.A good song on the radio-a good movie and I am fine.As long as you don't have to work or think,you can do with very little of it,IMO. stir

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No matter what I do or take I don't sleep well on an airplane. On long flights, the movies make it bearable. I can always doze for a few minutes during even the good movies, and more so during the crappy stuff. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Ambien works for me. It requires a prescription.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Ambien works for many people. Roserum (sp?) is another prescription sleep aid.

Some have mentioned Benadryl (diphenhydramine). This is the active ingredient in Benadryl, Tylenol PM, Advil PM, Wal-Dryl (Walgreens generic Benadrly) etc.

It makes you groggy, the one thing I dislike is that it sticks with you for the next day! Ambien (for me at least) does not have the same effect.

Ask your Doc. For me, the prescription sleep aids are better and do not give me the sleepy hangover that diphenhydramine does.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Lunesta works for me and Ms. SL. The only bad part is it has a metallic after taste. Yuk.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've pretty much given up on sleeping on planes, but if you take something, Ambien is good. It has a short half-life and does not leave you hung over the next day (as does benadryl!).

I don't know if they still do, but for years NASA would give Ambien to astronauts in space because of its lack of a "hangover" effect.

It's bad enough landing in Africa after a long flight and having to go through customs, gun clearance, etc, without also being hungover from medication.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Older sleeping pill with slightly longer half life (about 12 hours) has worked well for me for over 20 years....used to be called Restoril, now generic tamazepam. Haven't tried Ambien (and it's shorter half life may make it better for some people) but I don't have any real after effects with tamazepam just a few hours (say 6 to 8) after ingestion. YMMV. Whatever you take, I'd strongly recommend that you experiment with it's effects on you a time or three on your BEFORE you get on a plane. People's reactions to these types of drugs vary widely.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Collar pillow is enough for me usually, if not some spirit helps Wink

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I suggest you google deep vein thrombosis. Sleeping for long periods in an upright position can have dire consequences. Just a suggestion.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing!

I sleep deprive myself for a few days prior to trip, set my GMT watch on local time at destination and begin training my bio-clock to be ready for the time change...Done this for years and rarely if ever suffer from jet lag / restlessness on flights!

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Ambien works well with a rapid onset but it doesn't seem to last very long. Ambien CR is a longer release product that works very well giving more than the 4 or 5 hours sleep usually obtained with Ambien.

One of the rarely reported side effects of Ambien (Zolpidem) has been psychotic behavior, hallucinations, or strange dreams. Just to be on the safe side if you have not taken it before try it at home before using it on a plane.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Ambien --I also use them once I arrive in Africa to make my body adjust its sleep cycle -- takes me a couple days to get fully adjusted and get my head on that side of the pond.
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
Nothing!

I sleep deprive myself for a few days prior to trip, set my GMT watch on local time at destination and begin training my bio-clock to be ready for the time change...Done this for years and rarely if ever suffer from jet lag / restlessness on flights!

Jeff has the best solution.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Benedryl", which is generically diphenhydramine HCL, works well for me and wears off in less than 8 hours -- for me. I usually take a 50 mg dose, which is two of the 25 mg tablets. It is sold variously as an allergy relief, cold relief, appetite suppressant, or sleep aid, depending on how it's packaged, but it's all the same thing and comes either by itself or formulated with an analgesic as Tylenol PM, Motrin PM, or similar generic substitutes. Be advised that like nearly any pharmaceutical, it will have varying effects on different people and can cause hyperactivity in some -- exactly the result you don't want. So, try it, or anything else you might be advised to use, before your trip to see how it does for you. "Benedryl" may have the effect of slightly raising blood pressure in some people, so use caution if your cork is already about to pop.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Along with the sleeping pills I always take a good dose of pain relievers. Alleve or aspirin work for me. Haven't tried Tylenol PM but that should work for both. My joints ache from being cramped up in a too small seat for extended time in low pressure. Don't forget to get up and walk around and stretch occasionally.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to Africa 'cause i'm living here but soon I'm flying to Billings via Denver - another long flight ahead of me. Sh...

I can't sleep on a plane, never, at least not in Economy. Business Class is a different story, there I can sleep fantastic - but the price...

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ambien CR (its the longer acting version)

Posts: 36 | Location: New York | Registered: 22 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used Lunesta on my last two flights and was able get a nice 5-6 hours of deep sleep, just enough to recharge the batteries.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Yet another suggestion, this one available over the counter is melatonin. Actually a hormone involved with the sleep-wake cycle. That plus some sleep deprivation (and some red wine with the in-flight dinner) helped me sleep through some serious turbulence on my first flight over, or at least the little old lady from Durban next to me said there was turbulence.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, melatonin works quite well and you can buy it at Costco, Walmart, etc. etc. Another that works is Tylenol PM. One of my Zim PH's begged me to leave all of the Tylenol PM with him, on one trip over.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ambien is what my husband and I use. We wake up bright, cheery and ready to go! dancing

The Tylenol PM and other PM's make me groggy all day.

Regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by white north:
I do not drink beer, wine or that fire water stuff.

White North

Maybe it's time to start.

There's a whole world of enjoyment waiting for you. beer

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
The Tylenol PM and other PM's make me groggy all day.

Regards, D. Nelson

They are just Benadryl. Not a great choice.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
over the counter sominex...(sp?) Works like a charm!

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Ambien chased with some Amarula on the plane is so sweet. Nighty-nite! Wink

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oryxhunter1983:
over the counter sominex...(sp?) Works like a charm!

Check the active ingredient section on the back of the box; sominex is diphenhydramine aka benadryl. Actually many of the OTC sleep aids (and the PM portion of OTC PM pain relievers) are just benadryl or some other anti-histamine in different packaging and in a different name.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Ambien or a generic version. If I really want to sleep I could bring tape recordings of my mother-in-law talking left wing politics. That can make me really sleep.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a flat bed in Business Class and the purr of the engines

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Just be careful not to miss the flight!
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
Nothing!

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
Smiler some good brandy and coke and i am in sleper heaven Wink

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suggest you google deep vein thrombosis. Sleeping for long periods in an upright position can have dire consequences. Just a suggestion.
L. David Keith

LDK
I developed DVT and now would suggest others to take your suggestion. Those silly warnings about leg movement and exercises may be a bit more important than you think. Especially if you want to continue living. You can imagine,I spend a bit more time on my feet than most.

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take a book and doze. I have spent a large part of my adult life traveling the world in the oil business. I tried Ambien and others and find that they make me foggy headed.

I read a lot and found that reading passes the time and helps me sleep without stimulants or depressants.

For me, the worst trip is to NZ or Aus from the US. The trip back is fine, but going there is rough on me. Take naps and just push through has been the best medicine for me.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
two ambien and two of those little bottles of wine they give you on the plane.....

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote