Notify
Tools

The Right Lion Zimbabwe???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Brad & Mike,

All I will say is that I have long since given up on you two.

Y'all are entitled to y'all's opinion as I mine.

Aaron and used to disagree too...go back and look at some old arguments.

The difference is that Aaron took the time to visit hisself with the likes of Paula White, Craig Packer, Luke Hunter, Karyl Whitman, Colleen Begg, the fellows at TGTS who have practiced the science for a decade and he has evolved.

I am fixing to go to the Texas Equine Veterinary Association and lecture on the orthopedic system of the horse this next week. What I always precede my talks with is this very statement: "the day you quit trying to learn to do things better than you did yesterday...should be the last day that you practice". I feel the same way about lion management. Smiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ledvm,

One thing that wild lifers have learned is that if the public (PHs) don't buy into the rule or law, it probably won't work. I also think there are more than one way to achieve the goals most of us can agree on, that is to reduce or eliminate young lion take. Let's keep our options open to find a better and more acceptable solution than a strict six-year old rule.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
ledvm,

One thing that wild lifers have learned is that if the public (PHs) don't buy into the rule or law, it probably won't work. I also think there are more than one way to achieve the goals most of us can agree on, that is to reduce or eliminate young lion take. Let's keep our options open to find a better and more acceptable solution than a strict six-year old rule.

465H&H

Walt,

I have stated at least a 1000 times on this forum that I, Aaron, nor anyone involved with the LCTF was for a "strict " 6 year old rule. In fact...we lobbied against it...but too late.

We do like the Niassa Reserve hunting rules and have favored a modified version.

But...the 6 year rule can work. TGTS has proven that beyaond a shadow of a doubt. They have had a self-imposed 6 year old rule for a while now and as stated...I have seen the results...they are outstanding...and...the PH's learned to deal with it. One of my best friends in the world is a hired PH of TGTS.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's keep our options open to find a better and more acceptable solution than a strict six-year old rule.

Niassa Reserve Lion Hunting Rules

An "acceptable solution".

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Caracal,
I bet any of those 3 PHs you mentioned - and you can include Fujotupu as well - can tell a 4 year old from a 6 year old more than 90% of the time. If they can't, then in my eyes, they don't have enough experience. Big Grin

i do want to ask them 1 question though. Do they agree that only male lion that have had a chance to breed at least 1 generation of cubs and raise them to independence age would be a good male to take? because if they do, then that lion would -9 times out of 10 - be a 6+ year old lion. Wink

The Tz fast rule was promoted primarily for the following reasons:
- put an immediate stop to the unscrupulous shooting of 2-4 year old males which ended up being the majority of hunted lions in Tz in preceding seasons
- Send a message to those that were lobbying for a closure of lion, an uplisting of lion to CITES appendix 1 and to those promoting the listing of lion to the US ESA list, that at least 1 country was serious about regulating lion hunting to ensure sustainability.

I would say that the first goal has been partially achieved. Not sure about the second objective yet. It was a better option than a moratorium and can and will be improved to make it more field friendly. And to set the record straight following various subtle and not so subtle innuendos, the lobbying of Gov to adopt a 6 year rule in Tz came from the scientific community not from the private sector.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a question: how when the lion is on the ground the exact age is determined? also with istological metods (like the comunt of cementum laiers in the teeth) a 1-2 years error is normal

D.V.M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Italy | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lorefuma:
a question: how when the lion is on the ground the exact age is determined? also with istological metods (like the comunt of cementum laiers in the teeth) a 1-2 years error is normal

Production of cementum annuli are eratic in the lion. It is thought that the erratic nature of tooth maturation is due to the eratic nature of the lions diets with long periods of feast and famine to match the rainy and dry seasons.

However...the overall narrowing of the root canal is linear and distinct narrowing takes place in the 5 year old year making the groups of 4 or less or 6 and greater easy with a radiograph of the 2nd upper premolar where pulp cavity width can be measured precisely.

As the argument goes which I agree...the 5's can be difficult to distiguish precisely from 6's with the radiograph alone.

However...there are other skull criteria such as closure of growth plates and loss of the canine ridge to shed further light when trying to decide 5 vs: 6 and the sum of that data usually makes the dead analysis conclusive.

But...the 4 or less and 6 and greater are fairly easy to categorize. The 5's are the ones that require the most thorough analyis.

For these reasons...the Lion Conservation Task Force has always favored the Niassa Rules where some 5's being taken are with out penalty but reward is given for only taking 6 or greaters...which for biologic reasons that Bwanamich pointed out...should be the goal...at least in today's Africa.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich is correct - I am pretty confident of judging the difference between a 4 and a 6 year old lion. I am just not happy with the extreme penalty that may be imposed in the instance of an honest mistake. I am starting a lion hunt in early September and I will endeavor to post some trail cam pics ( maybe with Bwanamich's help???) for the forum to see. I am also hunting Selous lion which are a whole different kettle of fish as so little research has been done down here.

perhaps also to add some perspective we could ask Bwanamich to post the new law details describing penalties for shooting a lion under
6 years old here in Tanzania. I am in camp and do not have the act to hand, but that would be interesting for all to look at, please Bwanamich.

I am also pleased to hear from him that we as a hunting community did not have anything to do with the ridiculous legislation imposed upon us here in TZ.

because our point as PRACTICING PH's (me, Ganyana, and Buzz) still remains that we cannot tell the difference between a 5 and a 6 year old lion under field conditions. We three and many others also actually rely on hunting big game professionally for our livelihoods, as opposed to the bulk of the pro 6 year old rule crowd. With all due respect to Bwanamich and co. (Tanzania and TZ wildlife is lucky to have their company) their owner's daily bread is not at stake here.

I also 100 percent agree with the mission to put a stop to baby lions being shot. But it has gone too far.

The beginning of this thread was to put the question to Zim PH's as to where they see lion conservation going. To that end I implore them, and the " scientific community" to stay away from encouraging such legislation and stick to strict quota setting as a way of conserving lions.

The NRA does not work with the Obama administration more closely every time there is another Columbine if you get my drift.

Posts: 280 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTHunt:
Bwanamich is correct - I am pretty confident of judging the difference between a 4 and a 6 year old lion. I am just not happy with the extreme penalty that may be imposed in the instance of an honest mistake. I am starting a lion hunt in early September and I will endeavor to post some trail cam pics ( maybe with Bwanamich's help???) for the forum to see. I am also hunting Selous lion which are a whole different kettle of fish as so little research has been done down here.

perhaps also to add some perspective we could ask Bwanamich to post the new law details describing penalties for shooting a lion under
6 years old here in Tanzania. I am in camp and do not have the act to hand, but that would be interesting for all to look at, please Bwanamich.

I am also pleased to hear from him that we as a hunting community did not have anything to do with the ridiculous legislation imposed upon us here in TZ.

because our point as PRACTICING PH's (me, Ganyana, and Buzz) still remains that we cannot tell the difference between a 5 and a 6 year old lion under field conditions. We three and many others also actually rely on hunting big game professionally for our livelihoods, as opposed to the bulk of the pro 6 year old rule crowd. With all due respect to Bwanamich and co. (Tanzania and TZ wildlife is lucky to have their company) their owner's daily bread is not at stake here.

I also 100 percent agree with the mission to put a stop to baby lions being shot. But it has gone too far.

The beginning of this thread was to put the question to Zim PH's as to where they see lion conservation going. To that end I implore them, and the " scientific community" to stay away from encouraging such legislation and stick to strict quota setting as a way of conserving lions.

The NRA does not work with the Obama administration more closely every time there is another Columbine if you get my drift.

John,

Actually you and I are almost in full agreement...with a couple of differences.

1) it WAS the hunting community that was responsible for the 6 year old rule...how...because the majority of lion shot prior to the law were 2-4's...that is a fact. And in Zim...hence the start of this discussion...it is still common place.

2) Lion are not owned like cattle...when you make your living off of a natural resource...expect comment from the world...as they are the world's commodity.

3) I still think it better to be able to sell the opportunity to hunt mature lions on a regular basis than the very limited quota that would have to be allotted on very strict and limited quota system.

In the end...I beleive if TZ went to a system similar to the Niassa (not to sound like a broken record) it would solve your concerns and be a better system for all.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
ledvm,

465H&H

Walt,

I have stated at least a 1000 times on this forum that I, Aaron, nor anyone involved with the LCTF was for a "strict " 6 year old rule. In fact...we lobbied against it...but too late.

We do like the Niassa Reserve hunting rules and have favored a modified version.

But...the 6 year rule can work. TGTS has proven that beyaond a shadow of a doubt. They have had a self-imposed 6 year old rule for a while now and as stated...I have seen the results...they are outstanding...and...the PH's learned to deal with it. One of my best friends in the world is a hired PH of TGTS.

levdm,

I thought I was backing up what you said and not argueing with you.
salute

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
ledvm,

465H&H

Walt,

levdm,

salute

465H&H

My apologies sir...sometimes I get frustrated with this subject...please forgive me and thanks for the back-up. Smiler

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For anyone with access to it, the Fall 2012 issue of African Hunting Gazette is devoted extensively to lion, and much of what has been discussed here at AR is represented.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lorefuma:

Production of cementum annuli are eratic in the lion. It is thought that the erratic nature of tooth maturation is due to the eratic nature of the lions diets with long periods of feast and famine to match the rainy and dry seasons.

However...the overall narrowing of the root canal is linear and distinct narrowing takes place in the 5 year old year making the groups of 4 or less or 6 and greater easy with a radiograph of the 2nd upper premolar where pulp cavity width can be measured precisely.

As the argument goes which I agree...the 5's can be difficult to distiguish precisely from 6's with the radiograph alone.

However...there are other skull criteria such as closure of growth plates and loss of the canine ridge to shed further light when trying to decide 5 vs: 6 and the sum of that data usually makes the dead analysis conclusive.

But...the 4 or less and 6 and greater are fairly easy to categorize. The 5's are the ones that require the most thorough analyis.

For these reasons...the Lion Conservation Task Force has always favored the Niassa Rules where some 5's being taken are with out penalty but reward is given for only taking 6 or greaters...which for biologic reasons that Bwanamich pointed out...should be the goal...at least in today's Africa.

Thankyou!!

D.V.M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Italy | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

John,

Actually you and I are almost in full agreement...with a couple of differences.

1) it WAS the hunting community that was responsible for the 6 year old rule...how...because the majority of lion shot prior to the law were 2-4's...that is a fact. And in Zim...hence the start of this discussion...it is still common place.

2) Lion are not owned like cattle...when you make your living off of a natural resource...expect comment from the world...as they are the world's commodity.

3) I still think it better to be able to sell the opportunity to hunt mature lions on a regular basis than the very limited quota that would have to be allotted on very strict and limited quota system.

In the end...I beleive if TZ went to a system similar to the Niassa (not to sound like a broken record) it would solve your concerns and be a better system for all.

Agreed that the Niassa system is probably the benchmark and would it has been used here in TZ rather than the draconian stuff we have instead. BTW Derek Littleton and Jamie Wilson are two of my best friends and are there and have been in on the Niassa system since its infancy.

As above a CAVEAT to the Zim boys,don't let the 6 year old LAW get anywhere near you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As above a CAVEAT to the Zim boys,don't let the 6 year old LAW get anywhere near you.

And the best way to do that is to stop the shooting of 5 year old and under! tu2

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly mitch, not going to happen. Too much private initiative on the line.

As with leopard, zim proposed and accepted a 'minimum' trophy score for a trophy to be exported. The idea was that each Skull would be tattooed with the CITES tag number (becuase otherwise we would have seen the same skull 5 times a season from some operators)...a tempory ban on hunting female leopards was imposed for 1 year while equipment was obtained. 14 years latter, temp has become almost perminant.

Also, the demand for lion well exceeds supply even at $50,000 all in. At that value, canned lion WILL replace wild lion- I bet you already have a very few captive bred lion full of Ketamine being put out in front of baits in the Selous...For the uninitiated, given an appropriate dose of kitamine lion can sit up and look arround but not walk off...perfect. Put doped lion in front of bait pre dawn, sneak in with client an hour later and lion is sitting up and looking arround...and shoot it. Such activities are unfortunately increasingly common...and a prime mearchant of this has recently opened up in the selous...

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana
quote:
I bet you already have a very few captive bred lion full of Ketamine being put out in front of baits in the Selous...For the uninitiated, given an appropriate dose of kitamine lion can sit up and look arround but not walk off...perfect. Put doped lion in front of bait pre dawn, sneak in with client an hour later and lion is sitting up and looking arround...and shoot it. Such activities are unfortunately increasingly common...and a prime mearchant of this has recently opened up in the selous...

WOW....

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana:

Such activities are unfortunately increasingly common...and a prime mearchant of this has recently opened up in the selous...

Interesting....could you shed more light on this?
While not discounting the probability of something of this nature taking place up north I find it a little disturbing that it may be taking place on home turf.

Posts: 2036 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A happy-go-lucky (and usually) drunk American and a slick Zimbabwe operator who has never, ever, let a moral come anywhere near him. Got 4 lion last year that make the SCI top 5 Wink I'll introduce you at the show if you don't recognise him from the all the MGM lion trophy pics up in the booth.

In over 35 years I have shot alot of lion around Zimbabwe, moz and eastern Botswana, and thanks to the lion hunting ban in Bot's I have had increasingly good lion available in the past few seasons...Some real 'monsters' like the ones I took out of Tuli in the 80's or on our place in the 70's...but none have made sci top 20... (not that I measured the ones shot on Problem animal control 25 years ago but some of them were truely impresive animals.)

If you want a big skull (and so a good SCI score) the lion need to come out of the Zambezi Valley sub population - but very few of them have great manes like the desert sub population. When you see a great SCI score coupled with a great mane...you are either very lucky or...to shoot four in a season...ja right.

But dept of Veterinary services is closing in at home- even if parks will not stop him, the vet dept will nail him for a) using a controlled drug without a license and b) buying 'dangerous drugs' stolen from the hospitals - so the problem seems to be shifting north

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow - that is a scary story from Ganyana. however I very much doubt there is any canning going on in the Selous and would like too see them try. believe it or not even the Tz. Wildlife dept. would catch that one. As all private ownership of wildlife is prohibited in Tanzania it would be too difficult.

But I would love to watch those monkeys try to smuggle a live lion through the average 17 roadblocks as well as the gates into the reserve that we regularly negotiate. It is hard enough to get a PH and his vehicle through.

Bwanamich I have a couple of lion pics from a trailcam which I am going to try and post and maybe send to you. perhaps we could get other reputable Selous outfitters to start doing the same so we can build up some knowledge on our not so hairy cats down here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

But I would love to watch those monkeys try to smuggle a live lion through the average 17 roadblocks as well as the gates into the reserve that we regularly negotiate. It is hard enough to get a PH and his vehicle through.

With the non existing Radar coverage in parts of Africa flying in on a regular flight with a quick stop on a landing strip to offload a parcel I don't think that is impossible and is much easier as driving.

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,
with a "bomb" such as you have dropped on this thread, you have no option but to disclose the names of the involed parties....... even if by PM. Nothing is impossible, more so in Africa, but I tend to agree with Jonathan at the moment.
Thx

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It's a shit site to negotiate but anyone who has the time & patience to rake through it for long enough will find CITES have(for a number of years) issued permits for live lions to be exported to a variety of African countries, including Tanzania for use in travelling circuses.

Hands up all those who have even heard of a travelling circus anywhere in Africa, let alone seen one. animal

Even if they do exist, I'd seriously doubt anyone keeps track of what happens to them after arrival.

As for getting in & out of the SGR undetected..... an awful lot of poachers laden with all kinds of things from firearms to tusks to truckloads of illegally felled hardwoods seem to be able to do it on a regular basis & without too much hassle so I'd have thought an occasional unconcious circus lion would be a doddle.

The SGR leaks like a sieve and always has.

Note, I'm not suggesting it definitely is happening. Just that there's no reason whatsoever that it could happen or might happen without too much hassle.

Maybe the trick is to not shoot lions if they're wearing red clown's noses? - Oh no. That won't work will it...... I nearly forgot, the black nose theory went out of fashion a few years ago.

Silly old me. old rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could always hold up a hoop and see if the lion jumps through! animal

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
or use a chair and a whip, while wearing a revolver. or best of all, get Seigfred or Roy to be your PH. 1 thing for sure, having used Ketamine off and on for 35 years in the OR, it will do just as described.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
or use a chair and a whip, while wearing a revolver. or best of all, get Seigfred or Roy to be your PH. 1 thing for sure, having used Ketamine off and on for 35 years in the OR, it will do just as described.

Add a little Acepromazine and you can shoot a sleeping lion in its bed.

465H&H

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

levdm,

salute

465H&H[/QUOTE]

rotflmo animal

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote