Find
Notify
Tools

cooling sheet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted
awhile back someone here posted about a "towel/sheet" that you soak with water, then lay over you at night to make it easier to sleep when it is REALLY hot. can't find the thread. i bought a synthetic "towel" at REI that might work but it seems a bit heavy and is designed to be used as a towel, not as an evaporative cooling device. anyone got any suggestions? i figure it will be plenty hot in the Caprivi next month( already bought a small battery powered fan).

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13433 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grandma told me here in Arizona before there was air conditioning they would drag the beds out on the porch to have a breeze and dunk cotton sheets in water. There would have a bucket beside the bed to rewet the sheet during the night.

So a simple cotton sheet works.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
thought about that and if the towel i bought doesn't work, that will be plan B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frogg Togg Chilly Pads.

They work very well.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Frogg Togg Chilly Pads.

They work very well.

+1

Chilly Dana is good to wear around your neck too.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jerry Walmart has battery operated fans takes 2Dcells works great my wife took to Tanzania for our two safaris name of fan is O2cool and she also had a cooling towel from Travelsmith.
http://www.travelsmith.com/32-...ibvalue=&listIndex=0
http://www.walmart.com/ip/O2-C...ed-Desk-Fan/15992435

I also took with me gatorade packets for hydration the G2 not to much sugar.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
The Fan will be your best friend!

Any towel should do. I remember some Namibians telling me they would lay one down on the floor and sleep on a wet towel.

When it gets stupid hot here in TX, I wet a bandana and tie it around my neck, it helps. Have also laid a wet bandana on top of my head, unfolded and put my hat on over it. That actually works well for 15 min or so. Keep wetting it.

Also, dont be afraid to completely soak your hat in water. It makes enough of a difference between miserable and tolerable.

Good hunting.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Also, dont be afraid to completely soak your hat in water. It makes enough of a difference between miserable and tolerable.

Safety Note: Be sure and take the hat off first, Wendell nearly drowned the first time he tried this.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:

Safety Note: Be sure and take the hat off first, Wendell nearly drowned the first time he tried this.

yuck

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Frogg Tog Chilly Pads down here when fishing, they are a great. I can also recommend the O2cool 5" fan. I used the fan in Oct. in Zambia and this March in Malapati. It works great. I kept it on low all night and it lasted all 10 days of each trip on one set of D cell batteries, but I bring extras.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
+5 for the Chilly Pads. Wear them over your head and neck while riding in the back of the truck through the sand river canyons in the afternoon when it's 110+ degrees!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
well i already have the fan, electrolyte supplement, and the "towel" i bought at REI looks just like the "chilly pad", so i guess i am as ready as i will ever be. Cool

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Need a gun bearer? I'll carry it in front of you like the old days and you can take it off the shoulder. Big Grin
I'll bring my double for you to shoot.

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Brazil, a wet cotton sheet draped over you while you slept was the only way to survive the summer!

Posts: 252 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Need a gun bearer? I'll carry it in front of you like the old days and you can take it off the shoulder. Big Grin
I'll bring my double for you to shoot.

Mike tu2

Mike, you know i only use camp rifles anymore!! rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
That frog tog sheet worked great at CMP nationals when it was over 100 and humid every day. Takes up little room.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
I'm so gald to have read this thread - it taught me some new uses of English words to describe hot weather:

In increasing order:
Hot.
Very hot.
Tolerable.
Miserable.
Stupid hot.

That's a good one Wendell!

More on topic, one year a bunch of us went on a family camping holiday over 16th December in the middle of the Botswana Kalahari. It was [Bstupid hot[/B] during the day, and just a bit less in the early evenings. Wet sheets and towels does work, but the best is a shower with clothes on, and don't even try to dry off!

Just remember that in humid conditions you will still suffer!

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Andrew, you left warm and toasty off your list! Cool

They'll have towels and water in camp, and that's what we've used when things have heated up a bit.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13661 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
I'm so gald to have read this thread - it taught me some new uses of English words to describe hot weather:

In increasing order:
Hot.
Very hot.
Tolerable.
Miserable.
Stupid hot.

That's a good one Wendell!

More on topic, one year a bunch of us went on a family camping holiday over 16th December in the middle of the Botswana Kalahari. It was [Bstupid hot[/B] during the day, and just a bit less in the early evenings. Wet sheets and towels does work, but the best is a shower with clothes on, and don't even try to dry off!

Just remember that in humid conditions you will still suffer!

Andrew McLaren

My daughter has one: Africa hot.

I used to go out and run 4 miles when it was 106 degrees outside; I brought two water bottles filled with mostly ice but some water. I started off with a completely wet t shirt and a wet head. As my hair died I would squirt the bottle on my head, getting both conductive and evaporative cooling. (And if you fart you get convective cooling to boot.)

Nowadays, I run first thing in the am. But here in PHX, it is often still above 90 - the water bottle trick works.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote