New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife friendly camps
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Planning a trip for 2015. My wife wants to come along so I'd appreciate some recommendations regarding the following (do not need recommendations regarding managing my wife):

I would be primarily interested in hunting buff.
Somewhat upscale accommodations.
Friendly Staff.
Something for the wife to do other than go on the hunt.
She has been to Africa before and is really a good sport. Thanks in advance for helpful advice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be hard to beat the Sango Lodge in the Save'.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4-5-0;

I think some of the best (5 star) wild camps are in Tanzania, but for only buffalo they get pricy. There may not be much for your wife to do if she doesn't want to go along with the hunt each day, but the camps are fantastic. Maybe worth checking out.

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4-5-0:

If you mean touring, shopping, or sightseeing, then finding an area where she can leave camp and go to "civilization" knocks out 95% of Buffalo hunts outside of South Africa.

Leaves Matetsi as an option though.

If a photo Safari is a possibility, then you have more options. However, after 3 days a photo safari gets old. 3 days is the perfect amount of time in one area for a photo safari.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Planning a trip for 2015. My wife wants to come along so I'd appreciate some recommendations regarding the following (do not need recommendations regarding managing my wife):

I would be primarily interested in hunting buff.
Somewhat upscale accommodations.
Friendly Staff.
She has been to Africa before and is really a good sport. Thanks in advance for helpful advice.

If fences are not an issue you should look at SA. You can find some superb lodges in south africa and some good hunting, too!

But there are also some unfenced options, like matetsi. No SPA or shopping but nice camps.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for suggestions so far. Things to do would be camp related photo, sightseeing , local interest etc. Who's a good outfitter in Matetsi ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with mark young on the sentinel ranch in zim. Was there last sept with a buddy and both wives, his wife's first trip. Rock carvings and artifacts on the ranch, wives got a tour with the mrs side of the owner. Saw ele daily, shot two nice buff. Heard lions one morning and hyeans every night. Accomadations were very nice.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would be hard to beat the Sango Lodge in the Save'.

+1

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
It would be a shame for a wife to trek all the way to Africa and not want to actually experience wild Africa while going along on the hunt itself. Why not try and "negotiate" some side trips in addition to the experience I mention. Just a thought.

You never know where that might lead. Next thing you know you will be buying her rifles for Christmas. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
This looks like the best camp in all of Moz.
I am going this august.
http://www.kambakosafaris.com/...ique/photo_camps.htm

Posts: 761 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two comments here..
1.- for a hunting lodge,Sango is amazing, five star, all the way. In fact, it's the only hunting lodge in the "Top 100 lodges in africa"
2.-talk to Mark Young...I did this same type of trip with my wife two years ago, before going on our actual safari. We flew into Vic Falls, did a few days in Hwange Park (amazing), and then stayed at four different lodges, whil working our way East. He will show you villages, rock paintings, real life stuff, the best wildlife viewing you can imagine!!!

D

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Brooklands in the SAVE.

Great hunting in the SAVE, excellent buff.

They have a very good camp, excellent food and even have a nice swimming pool. tu2

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
I am taking my wife, kids ages 4, 11,13 to hunt buff in the ume camp on Lake Karibe with Martin Pieters in June. there are things for my 4 yo daughter and my wife while I chase buff. local villages, fishing etc. They can take photo tours also. we will all be doing photo tours when in Huange when at Nehimba for 3 days followed by vic falls, a great family trip and a compromise from my hard core hunting. Your wife may have an interest in something like this. we are gone for 15 days, I am hunting 7 full days

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Lozano:
I am going this august.

Just saw our own Tim Herald shoot a beautiful zebra and a lion here on Tv, your a lucky man to be headed there, report back and good luck

Posts: 1020 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Sent you a pm. Tanzania. The smile say's it all.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
quote:

If you mean touring, shopping, or sightseeing, then finding an area where she can leave camp and go to "civilization" knocks out 95% of Buffalo hunts outside of South Africa.

Leaves Matetsi as an option though.

If a photo Safari is a possibility, then you have more options. However, after 3 days a photo safari gets old. 3 days is the perfect amount of time in one area for a photo safari.

We have areas close to Kruger that's 25 000acres and has a East Africa luxury tented camp.lots to see and do for a non hunting wife and some good buff hunting .

Or as above Matetsi is close enough to Vic falls but can still be a full day trip

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frostbit has it right about your wife going to Africa and missing out on the hunt. No alternative activity can exceed the entire experience of pursuing the buffalo, seeing all of the animals and areas in the process and being there for the death bellow. My wife and our son's wife endorse this opinion strongly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
More thanks to all for sharing their knowledge and experiences, very helpful and appreciated. Years ago a Maisi guide told my wife 'Mbogo very bad'. Between that and charging buff on 'you tube' she's surprised I'm still alive. Once we get in country the lure of the hunt may take over.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Marin Pieters does both hunting and photographic.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may wish to hire a separate guide, not necessarily a Ph, to take her on day trips to photograph animals, learn about trees and birds, and make side trips to historical / interesting sites, like ruins, villages, Vic Falls, art places. Makes for fun conversation over dinner. During winter the swimming pools are usually too cold.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you book with the Duckworths (Mokore Safaris in the Save Valley) you canshoot a nice buff & your wife can visit local schools/tribes. Once your duggaboy is in ths salt, they can take you a bit south to their Moz Coutada 9 camp that includes a proper eco camp with many nature & cultural activities, all done compatibly with a hunting safari camp nearby - The best of both worlds! You can hunt plainsgame, even a single specie, while your wife joins others hands-on learning ( not too strenuos) bushcraft. I shot a 40"buff in the Save & a donkey of a warthog ( my main quarry) in Moz last August with Barrie Duckworth, plus my wife got a zebra & we donated clothing to some very needy children. Check out Neil Duckworth's eco camp info under " Hunts Offered" here on AR. We'll be going back!

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Lozano:
I am going this august.

I will be there in August with my girl also.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with jouster. I will also add that their camp in the save is beautiful. Your wife will love it. The camp in Moz is, I believe, a tented camp, however, don't let that worry her. We stayed in a tented camp in Ghonerezou while touring with Barry and it was my wife's favourite camp.

Bill

Posts: 94 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Without doubt, the most exclusive HUNTING lodge in Zimbabawe is found on Sango in the SAVE. It has a gym, wireless, swimming pool, mini bar in the rooms, walk in closets, bath tubs, small library, fine food and to go with it there is a huge amount of game on the property, including good quality buffalo. PM me should you want more details or information.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It's not Buffalo but myself and my good friend and AR member Snellstrom are taking our significant other as non hunters to RSA in June

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Planning on taking my wife to Natron with Michel Mantheakis in 2016. His camps are tented, but over the top luxurious. Not just ensuite bathrooms, but a bathtub in addition to a shower. I'm talking cast iron four legged bathtub (at least that was there in Lukwati last year). My wife will love that. I may never get her out of it.

King sized bed, desk, tables, chest, in the tent. All Zanzibar-carved. Solar-powered, not generator. Ports to charge all your electronic gizmos in the tent.

Chai in the morning; first class service. Couldn't beat it in my opinion.

Meals last year included lobster, prawn,kingfish, as well as game meat. The chef could make soups at most 4 star restaurants. I think my wife will enjoy it, as I'm sure anyone's would.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are some very nice camps in Massailand. Harpreet has really renovated Lobo and the camp looks like a 5 Star hotel. Obviously there is great buff hunting there and the Massai culture would be very interesting to your wife. It will be pricey for sure, but a great option.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote