Notify
Tools

Firestorm
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
Guys,

Hope Saeed doesn't mind me posting this here but I'm getting shedloads of messages from AR people trying to find out if we're safe so thought I'd take the easy way out & post here.

You've probably heard of the massive fires that are sweeping through Portugal.

It came to us at 2000 hours on Saturday & Susan & I managed to get out with our cat & dog with seconds to spare & raced the fire for 7 or 8 kms & then found sanctuary further afield.

We got back 2 days later to find a devastated but not beaten village. 11 in the village had died in the fire & many had lost everything so our losses are minimal compared to theirs.

The entire village is devastated and it's all hugs & tears whenever any two people meet.

Our home is damaged but repairable & mostly insured & even my classic Jeep survived.

To say that we were lucky is the understatement of the century.........

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Great to hear you and your wife are safe!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! Glad you and your Family are OK.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildfires are one of the worlds most devastating forces. I'm glad to hear that you are okay. I am deeply sorry for the loses that have been suffered in your home.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shakari - Glad to hear that you and your wife are safe. Sad to see the loss of life and devastation.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very happy to hear you are safe, the rest can be rebuilt.

Posts: 1447 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FFemtRN5287:
Very happy to hear you are safe, the rest can be rebuilt.

Exactly!

Very sad to hear of the loss of life.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68662 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear you are okay.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Glad you are safe. Hope you won't have to worry about fires for awhile.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Alive, that's all that matters for now
Good luck with rebuilding Steve

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you all are okay.

Take care.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi steve

Was very worried your skype was off,im glad you and susan are ok.

best news is my jeep are ok!!!!!!!!!!

luan

Posts: 261 | Location: Lydenburg | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't believe the images we saw on TV here in the states.

So glad to hear you made it out OK!

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Glad you guys are safe. I got a big skrik when Paulo called me Monday morning with the news. We will have to work in another good kuier next year. Very sad about the people who lost so much. Glad the Jeep made it, although I guess Susan would have partied for a week if it perished rotflmo

Please be safe and look after yourselves buddy.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Just back online momentarily. The village is called Nodeirinho & we now have TV crews all over the place so I guess you guys are probably seeing some of the devastation........ it's truly heartbreaking.

No matter where you go or who you speak to, everyone has suffered awful losses & some have lost entire families. Frowner

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve,
Glad to hear you are OK. Prayers sent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37783 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, sorry to hear. No good. Terrifying. Brings back some memories. The community spirit and kindness will be incredible and will be truly moving. Kind regards, Ben

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Glad you, wife and pets are safe Steve, that's all that matters.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Good to hear you and Susan are safe. Stay well my friend.
Warm regards
Saeed

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Disasters like this serve to remind all of us about what truly matters in life and what is secondary.

Glad to read you and yours are safe.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you and your wife are okay Steve. Sorry for your losses and the losses your friends have suffered.

All the best going forward.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you`re OK, but saddened about your village`s losses Frowner

Posts: 1091 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
More deaths & disappearances being reported daily from not only our village but all surrounding villages as well.

One guy tried to reach his loved ones just a few minutes after we passed by the other way & he only made it 20 metres into the forest before he died......... the fire was so hot, it totally melted his aluminium engine block & I'm told that happens at about 600C

Most of the losses are due to the fact that commercial woodland is planted illegally close to roads & homes....... the law states land must be clear within 50 metres of human habitation & 10 metres from roadside edges & it's commonplace for trees to be planted right up to boundaries & roads........... Hopefully the existing laws will be obeyed now & in my case, if they're not, I intend to fell the fucking trees myself & if the landowner doesn't like it he can kiss my arse.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Glad you guys came out of it OK, sad about the losses in the village. I don't know what else to say other than the African spirit can survive about anything mother nature can through at them..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Got comms back for a little while

12 dead in our village & at least 25 more within 3 km of the village....... & shedloads of livestock & wildlife killed. Also many homes destroyed.

Our losses are mostly insured & nothing whatsoever compared to many others in the village & area.

Community support from every aspect of Portuguese society is still going on strong here & the local Junta has asked everyone to submit lists of all outdoor plants, trees, machinery & livestock lost in the fire, the Camara have visited with the military engineers to look at all the open wells that need covering & I’ve even heard that the landowners of the village in a nearby area have said they’ll hand over all land within 500 metres of the village to the Camara and all commercial woodland will be felled in those areas & replanted with indigenous trees such as oak, chestnut & walnut etc so let’s hope that idea spreads to all landowners in all areas of Portugal.

Not only will it make the country a whole lot safer from fires, it’ll also create a much more game friendly environment for the animals such as deer wild boar & birds etc

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear this. Glad you are safe. Prayers being said.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11207 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson: Steve, Glad you guys came out of it OK, sad about the losses in the village. I don't know what else to say other than the African spirit can survive about anything mother nature can through at them.
Well said Ray. Wishing you and all impacted the strength to march on Steve.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Glad you and your wife are safe, Steve.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you and your family are okay and made it through the worst with minimal losses. Thoughts and prayers to the others in your beautiful adopted country.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Just got comms back for a little while...... I don't have time to post pics here but have posted an album of pics on my facebook page at steve.robinson.77770 if anyone wants to see the damage.

Our losses are mostly insured & absolutely nothing compared to many others in my village & the one that hurts me the most is my dear old neighbour who is the nicest man imaginable & well into his 70s at least has lost absolutely everything & I'll bet my life he wasn't insured........ I'm hoping either the Govt or local funding can rebuild for him.