THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    My plains game Battery... Your opinions.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My plains game Battery... Your opinions.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
I am finally going to make my first trip next year to Botswana with a few friends for a plainsgame hunt with Mark Kyriacou. I really wanted my first trip to be for Buffalo as this was my lifes dream, but good friends invited me to join them, and logistics and probably high additional costs have reconciled me to not being able to go after a Buff. If all goes well and my wife enjoys it as much as I think she will, I believe another trip for Buff will be in the future! I am also somewhat of a romantic and an Anglophile in regards to firearms and the classics used in Africa. My choices for my 3 gun battery are as follows.
Whitworth .375 that I restocked with a nice piece of English, Gentry Barrel band and NECG banded front sight. Leupold 2.5 x 8 in Kimber double lever rings.
Original Vickers/London Mauser actioned .318 Express. This rifle has a period correct double lever side mount with a Leupold 2x7.
Army & Navy .256 mannlicher (6.5x53r) with express sights.
The .375 will use my handloads with a 300 gr. Swift A-frame.
The .318 will use my handloads with either the Woodleigh 250 gr. or some Barnes 250's depending on which shoots best.
The .256 will be handloaded with the Hornady 160 gr. RN.
I realize that by modern standards, my last two rifle choices may be considered to have some drawbacks, but I honestly dont see that. With four hunters going, we have decided to distribute the ammo for the .318 and .256 amongst us in case there are lost luggage problems on the trip over. I will bring the .375 mainly for backup purposes and probably to bag a Zebra. The .318 for Kudu and Gemsbock and Wildebeeste.
The .256 for warthog and Impala at ranges under 150 yds. Both of these light rifles are well-used and in fine shape, and I almost wonder if this might be a "coming home" for them, they are certainly representative of the golden era of African hunting. Most of my reading indicates that a 3 rifle battery is one too many, but this is going to be a relaxed hunt for me, and I plan to use the oldies as opportunity presents. My wife is an experienced hunter, and she can carry the .256 in case of close shots. I have hunted Texas, Colorado and British Columbia over the last 30 years for deer, bear and moose, so I have some experience, but since this is my first Safari, I figured I could use Y'alls advice and suggestions. What do you think of my choices? Thanks, Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
That's really neat, taking those old rifles over there.

I found a Cogwell and Harrison 375 Mauser for sale for $600 once (it was rough but sound), and I couldn't afford it at the time. When I got paid about 7 or 8 days later it was gone. Those old British mausers are great.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
I think you battery of rifles is a great choice for you. The idea of seperating out the ammo is a good one that I practice with my hunting buddy.

I have been to Africa 2 times. First to Zim for plains game in 2001 and in 2003 to Tanzania for Buffalo, and a load of plains game. I am now booked to go back fall 2006 for Elephant, leopard and some more plains game.

My hunting friend and I both take the 300 win mag and 458 win mag combo. I feel it covers the best of both worlds, My 300 is a Winchester Supergrade with a Leupold 2.5 x 8 in leupold dual dove tail mounts. I shoot Barnes x 200 grain hand loads. My 458 is a Rem 700 safari custon with a leupold 1.5x 5 in QD mounts.
I keep the iron sights at 50 yds and the scope on at 100. I use 500 grain Barnes X and solids.

The thing I like most is that in a pinch I can use either rifle in most cases.
Example while hunting Buffalo I shot a Kudu and zebra incidentaly with the 458. Also the 300 can handle anything in Africa short of the Buff and elephant.

I think your gun choices are great mostly because you love the guns and probably have confidance in them and can shoot them well.

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
I have done a couple of plains game bushveld hunts with a 8x57, and I have since aquired a 318 Westley Richards, which I intend to take on my next trip, whenever that is...

I think your battery will prove to be a lot of fun and will bring you huge satisfaction. It brings on a feeling of smug superiority to cleanly drop game with an old classic, when the supermagnums take out both the hunters hearing and shoulder as well as being pointlessly high in velocity for 90% of african hunting conditions.

You mention using a Barnes 250 grains in the 318. Do they make such a .330 bullet?

I'd like to hear about your other 318 loads too.

Having dropped one at 200metres with my 8x57 without any snags, I reckon the 318 pushing a woodleigh at 2300 fps would be more than man enough for the zebra, or an eland for that matter.

------------------------------

Richard
VENARI LAVARE LUDERE RIDERE OCCEST VIVERE

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lee,

Personally, I think taking three rifles is simply too much hassle especially as most airlines now restrict you to two rifles per gun case...In your case I would probably just take the .375H&H and .318

Sharing out the ammo is a good idea, but make sure its legal to do so...These days in RSA for instance, you can only bring in ammo if you have a firearm in the same calibre..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO, 3 rifles is too many.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Normally I would agree that 3 rifles are one too many but since your wife can take one as part of her baggage I see little problem. Your choice of calibers is classic and it will be a real kick to use them in Africa. Enjoy your trip!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
Normally I would agree that 3 rifles are one too many but since your wife can take one as part of her baggage I see little problem. Your choice of calibers is classic and it will be a real kick to use them in Africa. Enjoy your trip!

465H&H

465H&H,I'm thinking she can only import a firearm if she is booked as a hunter!

Lee440, what you might do is, if one of the other folks are takeing only one rifle, they could bring in one of your rifles in their case. you will have to let them put that rifle on their form 4457, however, as owner. The ammo divided between you is a good idea, that I think will fall on deaf ears with the customs folks in Africa. Now days, the ammo must match the rifles you are bringing in most cases.

All members of your party need to decide what arms they are takeing, and go to US Customs, and get form 4457s reflecting what they are takeing! You will need this form to re-enter the USA with your firarms, but the real need is for the African countries. Though this form is NOT a USA gun permit, the verious countries have begun to ask for your Form 4457 like it was a permit, which they require,and as proof of ownership of any firarm you import into their country. The form is free, and no record is kept at US Customs. You can put your Cameras, and Bynocs on it as well if they have serial numbers, but it is better to get a seperate one for the optics, leaving only guns on the other. Your booking agent should be able to tell you anythig not mentioned here, that you need do for your destination.

Good luck with you first hunt in Africa, and make no mistake you will go back again! You can't help it!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The only time I have taken three rifles has been on a 21 day full bag safari.

But I do like your choices. thumb

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I agree that three rifles is exactly one more than I'd care to take with me anywhere. Complication tends to mess up the best of efforts, and it's hard to say exactly under what circumstances you'll have opportunities to shoot various animals.

Personally, if I had your rifles I'd leave the 256 at home and bring the 318 and 375.......

AD

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
If you take only two and split some ammo to reduce risk, GO CLASSIC and take the .256 and .318. Leave the redundant .375 at home.

If you can get your wife listed as a hunter, you can split the ammo with her, or your mates. Just get it back if necessary when going through customs. Easy.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37

Your correct in that to import a rifle you must be booked on a hunt. But that doesn't pertain to the air line baggage rules and although it is in her checked baggage they do not look at whose baggage the weapons are in when you go through the police permit system.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Most experienced hunters will not take three rifles on a plains game hunt, however if you and your wife will both be shooting then three rifles should not be to much to keep up with. Do what ever makes the hunt more enjoyable for you. After the hunt is over, all three of those rifles will be forever blessed with the special status of being the first rifles you took to Africa.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, I knew I could count on Y'all.
If I take two cases, one being 1/2 of my wifes checked allotment, is it a problem? There is not a rule against one person bringing 3 guns, just luggage restrictions, right?
All of the hunters on this trip will be traveling togeather every step of the way, so if we divvy up the ammo, when we get to Jburg, could we not redistribute it before we get to customs and avoid that problem?
We are spending the night in Jburg and taking the next mornings flight to Maun, any firearms problems here? I assume the weapons will stay in customs at the airport for the next mornings flight?
I am willing to put up with the hassle of taking the .256 along for the chance to use it. My wife will be with me every step of the way and she can handle it. The .375 was my project from my first inspiration to go to Africa twenty years ago after reading many books on the subject, and the acquisition of the two light rifles was inevitable once I was hooked, Visions of Bell, Hunter, Stigand et al. If I had to leave one at home, I guess it would be the .375, but for it not to at least gather the dust of Africa would be a sin to its creation. I told you I was a romantic. Muletrain summed up my feelings quite well! Anyway, if I get to camp and the PH says leave one behind, so be it, I will defer to his experience! I am going to have a great time and I am fairly laid back on the subject of trophies, but if the opportunity to use all three is there, I will take it. Thanks for your further advice. Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
318, 375 only for back up

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Three rifles on a plainsgame hunt is literally overkill. If a third weapon is needed take a shotgun.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless your wife wants to shoot, I too wouldn't take 3 rifles. Its extra weight and worry and hassle. If you can check your bags and guns thru you won't have to hassle with the SAP (South African Police). She'll need an invite letter and all the paperwork if you have to clear SAP and claim one is hers. The ammo switch at the airport is too complicated too. I suspect it will be complicated figuring out which to bring or carry during the hunt, and you're liable to have the "wrong" one in your hands at any given time.
Next time I go, I'd like to only bring one but probably won't be able to choose between the .375 and .416.
Isn't the .318 similar to a .338, and hence theres a lot of overlap with the .375?

Posts: 81 | Location: too far east | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote