THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    You Want To Hunt Dangerous Game? This Is How To Do It!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You Want To Hunt Dangerous Game? This Is How To Do It!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The following story is from the book THE HUNTING IMPERATIVE; by Richard Harland; published by Rowland Ward; ISBN 0-9584188-7-x.

"...One unusual case arose when one of teh scouts came to report he had left his colleague with a local man they had arrested for killing a buffalo. Not wanting to leave the evidence in case other people or lion or hyaenas damaged the exhibit, the second scout and the poacher camped at the carcass while I was summoned. On the long drive south towards the Mozambican border, I questioned the scout about the case, having assumed simply that teh hunter had snared a buffalo. However, it appeared that he had killed a bull using a spear only; no snare, no dogs, nobody else assisting him! I suggested to my scout that the man had a rifle or a muzzle loader which he had used, then hid it away after shooting the animal, but was told the hoel in the buffalo was made by a spear, a whole spear, and nothing but a spear.

We managed to get the Land Rover righ to the scene of the crime as I intended to collect all the meat for our people back at the station. A Heavily built African weraing tatters of khaki clothing and sandals made from car tyres, rose from under a bush to greet me. Probably twice my age, I could not help but hold him in respect, seeing the huge buffalo bull he had apparently killed gladiator-style, lying in the shadow of a tree. Tsuro and I examined the dead beast, turning it over to check for wounds. The only mark was above the shoulder where the spear had gone into the lungs..."

The hunter related how how he kills his animals.

"...There are two animals that a person can get close to: elephant and buffalo. It is very difficult to spear a kudu, nyala, impala, unless you have dogs. The problem is that buffalo's ribs overlap each other, so when I am close, I also have to find the right way to stab the animal for the spear to to go between the ribs. I found this bull lying by himself in the scrub mopane, the other two had walked on. I moved quickly. The wind was strong so he did not hear me. And his head was facing into the wind. Also, teh side on which I came was a good place to put my spear through the ribs, stabbing forwards into the lungs. After spearing him, I ran fast through the mopane bushes to a big tree where I stopped. I heard the buffalo running away. I think all three of them, so I went back and followed. Soon I found my spear on teh ground and plenty of blood. That was over there" He pointed towards a group of tampoti trees growing along a dry river bed fifty yards away.

He the told him that he had killed eight buffalo bulls and lion in this manner.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68689 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That man was quite the hunter. I don't think anyone on this site wants to try that. Wink

Posts: 141 | Location: Upstate, New York | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd never convict him.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Now that is truly manly. In this one case, my hat's off to the poacher.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Yes, now that is how it is done! I need to buy Richard's books...

quote:
...A Heavily built African wearing tatters of khaki clothing and sandals made from car tyres...
Light or dark colored khaki??? Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
That man had balls made out of solid rock.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the Jo'berg airport a year or two ago I encountered an American hunter, a college prof, who was hunting with a spear an atlatl. The latter is a throwing device which imparts considerable veloicity using leverage. Most of you have likely seen pictures of these. He told me that a fellow prof, an engineer, had helped him with the design. Perhaps he's even on this site.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The Atlatl is an anchient speer used by Indians of Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas long before they had horses in North america. The Indians hunted the grassy plains on foot, several thousand years ago. It seems the engineer who first made them was the pre history type! One of the Universities in Oklahoma has a Bison skull, found in a river, with a flint Atlatl speer head deep inside the skull, which was carbon dated to be several thousand years old. No speer thrown in the normal manner would be able to penetrate that far in that skull, even with a steel head, much less flint! Wink

Many of the anchients were real ballsey hunters, made more bold with that Atlatl being a PUSH FEED !
jumping jumping jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amazing story!

I'd like to hear how it went with the Lion!

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the story. It is amazing what a little hunger can cause when it comes to boldness, bravery and creativity.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

This hunter wasn't a push feed man, he only used CRF...Chiseled Rock Flint. Wink

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
That man had balls made out of solid rock.

And I suspect a bit of desparation. Wink

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Atlatls are cool, I've seen them go right through car doors.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty incredible. Now that man was a hunter - knew his prey had overlapping ribs and just where to place his spear for a fatal wound.

Definitely some balls made out of rock - the size of grapefruit.

Of course, that pales in comparison to Walter's "bare hands, bare ass" technique. For his sake I hope he doesn't try it on a cold day with Saeed photographing the event.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Follow up to the story.

Richard decided not to report him for his kill.

He killed a buffalo and went to get the rest of his village to cut it up. When he came back he found a young lion feeding on it. He scared the lion away, and went to his buffalo. The lion then came back, and was looking at him from a 10 foot overhang. He threw his spear at the lion, hitting him in the neck.

The lion tumbled down the overhang, and he swapped places with him by going up.

The lion died shortly afterwards.

One of the reasons I posted this here because some of our friends on this forum seem to think the closer one gets to a dangerous animal, the more exciting it is because of the danger factor.

Well, our resident genius here told me in no uncertain terms that is a load of coddswallop! And he can prove it too!

He said as long as one has a rifle, and knows how to use it, there is no dangeror involved whatsoever.

He proceeded to ask how many hunters are killed every year by those so called dangerous animals, against how many animals being shot.

Lacking enough intelligence to argue with a genius, I told him I agreed with him!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68689 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Saeed, great thread. Even makes old Samuel Baker and his long knife seem tame, as he had the assistance of his faithful hounds. Do the Masai still hunt lions with spears in a closing circle?
As to atlatls, I make and use them (against charging hay bales), as all of our ancestors did before someone came up with a bowstring. In fact, Montezuma's Aztec warriors gave the Spaniards quite a nasty surprise with their atlatl darts. The dart is much faster and more accurate than a spear, although the latter is best for thrusting. I suspect that professor in the airport was from Montana, where a lot of current atlatl engineering is going on using aluminum , titanium, carbon fiber, etc.
Here's a URL for much more on atlatls:
http://www.atlatls-n-more.com/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Anyone hunting a buffalo alone with a spear deserves the buffalo, poacher or not.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its what makes the Thinking man, the most dangerous animal on earth. Here was a fellow because of need, did a little thinking and managed to collect his game. We will think twice about shooting buffalo with a 338, but here is a guy that can collect one with a sharp stick.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This sort of hunt would make a great video - or hunting TV show series. There are a slew of hunting shows (and videos) out there - most are pretty "ho hum." Anyone want to set a new trend? I'll buy the first copy.

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the poor buggar took a buff w/out the help of a PH, scouts, and videographer. stick and muscle and BRAINS. and later killed a lion off his kill? a better man, he, than me. the saps that have their surviviour shows need to hire him as consultant.you who can find him, buy him a drink!

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
This hunter is a better hunter than most of us and he deserves our respect ,i would like to see his photo ,and to know his tribe is he a zulu or a masai,i was discusing with some international hunters that it will be good for our sport that the SCI gives some sort of recognition to the trackers and local hunters ,beside being honest with ourselves we can put this people in the side of the sportmans and perhaps they would not need to poach again ,i saw here local guides natices that at only 10 years have killed many pumas and boars with their dogs and knives .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's a story worth the telling.

Richard did the right thing!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Walker
posted Hide Post
Dude thats rambo!!!!

Posts: 40 | Location: South Africa. | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can say that as a retired game warden with 26 years of service I would not of arrested that man. He and Sasha Siemel would of made good hunting buddies.
troy

Birmingham, Al

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Well, our resident genius here told me in no uncertain terms that is a load of coddswallop! And he can prove it too!

He said as long as one has a rifle, and knows how to use it, there is no dangeror involved whatsoever.

Saeed,

Perhaps your resident genius is right! Wink

Lion Clip

I have my own thoughts as what the real reason for the loo paper is! Big Grin

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
I'd never convict him.

Nor I

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I was the game warden, I would be strongly tempted to try to hire him. He obviously has excellent bush skills and courage. The fact that he (and the game scout) were still there when the warden showed up proves he has respect for authority.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
WEll... I think I'll stick with my rifles anyway... sofa

I guess it's easy to forget that rifle has only arrived in the last few centuries and before that hunting was a bit more dangerous. lol

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What ever level of technology he lacked in weaponry, he made up for with the teflon coated, stainless steel balls!

My hat's off to this fella.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't Peter Capstick kill a buff or two with a spear? Think I will keep to the rifle.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, prehaps 20 or so, I saw a short film clip taken in the 30s or 40s of a native taking an elephant with a spear. The film was only about 1 1/2 minutes long and was taken in heavy brush. The hunter was striped naked and slipped up behind and beside the beast then ran the spear into the heart from below and behind the shoulder. The film got rather wild as everyone beat a fast retreat then resumed as they tracked and found the animal dead. Sure wish I could see that again, great stuff.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Do you think this guy sat around the fire and argued with his friends whether ...

A 1500 grain blade was more effective than the more commonly used 1250 grain blade?

Or if the 1.25" diameter spear carried as much penetration as the 1.378" diameter spear?

Was he ever criticized for taking a soft bossed Buffalo?

Do you think his friends gave him grief over the tread of tire that he chose for his sandals?

Hmmm .....

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where is Mark Sullivan when you need him? Big Grin
I can see him standing next to this hunter and saying, "lets let him choose how he wants to die" Razzer
This spear hunter has my respect! It would be cool to watch this guy in action.
excellent story. beer

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A real man would of strangled them ! Big Grin

Posts: 26 | Location: Hampshire UK | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
The man was hungry...he found food and took it. No conviction from me. A few years ago when they were blasting in downtown Nashville (for what became the First American Bldg.) a cave was discovered that originally led to the Cumberland river (which is nearby). Saber Cat and Mammoth remains were found. Embedded 3 inches deep in one of the Mammoth femurs was a flint Clovis point. I've argued for years that Paleo people had the Atl-atl. Just because Bannerstones aren't found within Paleo sites doesn't mean they didn't have them. It took us a few years to go from flint lock to cartridge rifle. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard's book is great and this is one of my favorite stories in it. Cool stuff.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story. My hat is off to that man...

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Muy grande cojones!!!

What a story! It sure makes one feel humble about my hunting skills. Watching a bushman track does the same thing......

Ordering the bood today!

Thanks Saeed!!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not only not have arrested the guy and tried to hire him I'd have transported him and his well earned meat home.

There is no creature (edible) on earth that a human, hungry enough, will not attempt to kill and eat or to kill to provide food for his family.

And frankly the only animals man has not killed are either those he hasn't discovered yet or those that became extinct before he discovered them.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Guys,

I have met and talked too Richard a couple of times at the BASA shoot in Pretoria, and thoriughly enjoys his books and talks,

I have one question though, as far as I have it the owner of Cold Steel knives has hunted a couple of buffalo with spear, and is actually booking a lion hunt with a spear for this year,

also made of titanium if you asked me

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote