New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mozambique
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My only foray into Mozambique consisted of walking about 2 feet past a marker in the middle of the bush somewhere. I did it just to say I did it.

I am contemplating the possibility of a trip there to hunt. Could anyone give me general impressions of the country please?

I am looking for information on:

1- How hard is it to get there?

2- How difficult to bring your guns?

3- Any safety issues?

4- Game populations? Especially buff and elephant.

5 Areas to avoid?

6- Prime areas?

7- The best operators?

8- The worst operators?

Thanks.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Larry, I'm booked for next August with Jumbo Moore of Kambaco. Going with Tim Heralds group. He would be a good fellow to speak with about Moz. He is hunting lion there now

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, my Mozambique trip was one of my best. Moz is like you would imagine African hunting would have been in the 1930s-1960s...quite remote, game-rich, few amenities. I don't remember flights or firearms clearance to be an issue. I'm not sure if the US ban on importing Elephant trophies is still in effect; I know they were considering changing that. You'll love it.

Posts: 20159 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
My only trip to Mozambique was with Safaris de Mocambique ( Simon Rodgers) Had a wonderful time, 4 and 5 start camps, great food, booze is always good, plentiful game....lots of elephants although you can't export ele from Moz to the US. Plenty of buffalo. Got a nice old 41+" hard bossed bull and saw one that should go 45" with soft bosses and a good drop that should be hard enough now or next year to shoot.
Not hard to get to, fly into Harare, they will charter flight you.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Gents, I spoke with Jumbo Moore of Kambako a while back; the elephant import ban to US is alive and well, unfortunately.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We drove in crossing the border at Kruger and forded the Limpopo river. I hunted near the Moz/Zin border. The drive to camp was on the border one minute in Zim next back in Moz. It is very well I'll say primative drove past many bombed out building from the war. The only "petrol station" we saw sold both gas and diesel by the liter and I mean that literly only had liter bottles on the shelf. I was hunting Suni but some others in camp were hunting DG and had good luck.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
Gents, I spoke with Jumbo Moore of Kambako a while back; the elephant import ban to US is alive and well, unfortunately.

I have heard US guys go over and shoot ele. what do they do with the ivory. I would think even if they ever lift the ban they would not let US hunter import ivory from years back. Who gets the ivory?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mozambique is a great country to hunt. The only negative is the time it takes to get your trohpies exported. It took 30 months from the end of my hunt to when my finished trophies were delivered to my door.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Larry,
I am leaving September 19th to hunt with Mark Haldane and Zambeze Delta Safaris. All my intel has been very positive. Hunting buff, sable hartebeest, nyala and some of the little guys. Will post a report when I get back.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana, don't forget to get a Suni and a Blue Duiker while you're there. Plenty of them in Mark's camps. This guy is about as big as a skinny Beagle!

Posts: 20159 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Jon,
I have a blue duiker but definitely looking for a suni and a red duiker! Cool little animals! Nice suni you have there...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted just down river from Mary Livingston's grave. It was like I was back in time with her and David! We did not use Argos, all the swamp travel was by machete...lots of buff and ele in the Zambezi swamps. I have awesome memories and pictures of those swamps. The PG seemed a bit scarce and wary, probably from drive-by shooting. Tough on archery hunting. I had not shot anything but bushpig in the first 6 days ( of a 7 day hunt) but it had been my best hunt ever..connected the final afternoon on buff.
Lots of scheduled flights into Maputo, Pemba, Lichinga, etc.
I am going back in Sept for leopard.

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
2 trips there. 1 in Coutada 10 adjoining Mark Haldane's concession, the other on Lake Cahorra Basso. fantastic old time Africa feel and destination.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13392 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, very nice Suni!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Biebs, very nice Suni!

+1 Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:https://forums.accuratereloading.com/groupee_common/ver1.3.7.9995/platform_images/blank.gif
My only foray into Mozambique consisted of walking about 2 feet past a marker in the middle of the bush somewhere. I did it just to say I did it.

I am contemplating the possibility of a trip there to hunt. Could anyone give me general impressions of the country please?

3- Any safety issues?

5 Areas to avoid?

6- Prime areas?

7- The best operators?

8- The worst operators?

Thanks.

Via JHB ( LAM, SAA), or Via Lisbon TAP

No Problem you need a Import permit and Customs Paper all done by outfitter before hand

3- Any safety issues?
No except driving

Depending on area and quality from excellent to poor to non existent

5 Areas to avoid?
all NEW areas and with new "Operators"

6- Prime areas?
Prime areas for big elephants are Niassa, for Buffalo Zambezi Delta Coutada's 10, 11 and 14 and the southern bank of Caborra Bassa

7- The best operators?
The ones with a sound and long track record in Mozambique

8- The worst operators?
most of the new guys with the new fantastic areas. Roll Eyes

For specific info PM

Cheers

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of question as well! Since you can't import ele to the USA, If you can, what is the number of days do you need to book to take two buffalo, and is the a way one can take three on one safari in Moz?

When Moz opened after the war I was about to book there but was told not to do it because of the uncharted, and abandoned mine fields. Has that been cleaned up?

..................................................................... bewildered

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
I have a couple of question as well! Since you can't import ele to the USA, If you can, what is the number of days do you need to book to take two buffalo, and is the a way one can take three on one safari in Moz?

When Moz opened after the war I was about to book there but was told not to do it because of the uncharted, and abandoned mine fields. Has that been cleaned up?

..................................................................... bewildered

Mac
No Import of elephant trophy's to the US thanks to USFW can import to Mexico and Canada.

Normally 10 Days for 2 Buff 14 Days for 3 Buff.

Regarding the Land mines most area are cleared and the old operators know if there are mines in the area however the original estimates were highly over inflated (more Money) today there are more Land mines in Zimbabwe then in Mozambique. Generally Mines has been along borders, bridges, dams and around villages / towns and areas of heavy fighting and naturally around military installation and infrastructures deployed.

Cheers

One of Us
Picture of bradking1
posted Hide Post

Coutada 11 (the Haldane outfit)...best hunt of my life.

Posts: 403 | Location: SW IDAHO | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Thanks Freischuetz, Back in about 1991 or so, when they opened Moz back up for hunting the mines were a large worry because nobody knew exactly where they were! Safaris were very cheap at that time, and the mines were the only reason I booked back in Zambia instead!

In the case of the ele not being importable to the USA, I think I’d book 14 days and take three buffalo instead!
.............................................................. BOOM........ holycow holycow holycow

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about shooting the elephant and having a Zim taxidermist make a replica?

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

That would certainly be an option, and far better than not having the ivory at all! Good luck on your safari Larry, I just re-watched your film "Retun to Save"a couple of days ago, good film!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac - I knew you were old like me but you were thinking of going to Moz in 1901???? Eeker You are really doing well for your age don't you think, wow. Wink

Been to Moz twice, in Coutada 10. Great area, old Africa feel. Have taken Buff, Sable, Leopard, Hippo, Croc, Bushbuck, Warthog, Duiker, Monkey. PM if interested in outfitter used. He is a good one!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Thanks Freischuetz, Back in about 1901 or so, when they opened Moz back up for hunting the mines were a large worry because nobody knew exactly where they were! Safaris were very cheap at that time, and the mines were the only reason I booked back in Zambia instead!

In the case of the ele not being importable to the USA, I think I’d book 14 days and take three buffalo instead!
.............................................................. BOOM........ holycow holycow holycow

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
1901 Mac,

Them was the good ole days!! old

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Let me know when Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Larry that is not a problem taxidermist in Zim or RSA can do this.

The Tourism & Wildlife School in Niassa got each year a quota for one elephant (fully exportable) for reasonable fees and all the fees minus the cost goes to the school account in support for the school and students equipment. They also got this year a Sable and Leopard available as a separate hunt packet. Best times are mid end October till end November.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience with Mozambique wasn't great but I went to one of the "new Areas" freischuetz mentioned.

I have not hunted with Kambako safaris but every single report I've read was positive. I'd book with them if I could afford it!

quote:
Originally posted by freischuetz:

The Tourism & Wildlife School in Niassa got each year a quota for one elephant (fully exportable) for reasonable fees and all the fees minus the cost goes to the school account in support for the school and students equipment. They also got this year a Sable and Leopard available as a separate hunt packet. Best times are mid end October till end November.

Can you give me the contact details?

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2090 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just seen the price list for elephant in Moz. No doubt, the most expensive elephants in Africa. The license fee is $11,000 with an additional fee based upon the size of the tusks. The MINUMUM additional fee is $20,000. A 100 pounder would cost $111,000! The lowest total fee is $31,000 for an elephant.

The hell with that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
My experience with Mozambique wasn't great but I went to one of the "new Areas" freischuetz mentioned.

I have not hunted with Kambako safaris but every single report I've read was positive. I'd book with them if I could afford it!

quote:
Originally posted by freischuetz:

Can you give me the contact details?

nhalikanganiassa@gmail.com

Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have just seen the price list for elephant in Moz. No doubt, the most expensive elephants in Africa. The license fee is $11,000 with an additional fee based upon the size of the tusks. The MINUMUM additional fee is $20,000. A 100 pounder would cost $111,000! The lowest total fee is $31,000 for an elephant.

The hell with that.

bewildered

The new License fee will only be from next year is still around 5000$ for this year and elephant hunting starts about at 35 000.00 to 40 000.00$ for fully exportable 14 days hunt's including day fees, trophy and license fees you can aspect 50lbs plus bull for that price. I think that is competitive and good value for money?

Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check Kambako's website. The fee quoted there are seriously high. $31,000 minimum for license/trophy fee PLUS daily rates. Eeker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

You mean $31,000 for lic and basic trophy fee. correct? Daily fees are on top of that.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13005 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark:

Correct.

According to what I saw, the basic license was $11,000. In addition there was a trophy fee based upon the weight of the heaviest tusk. This ranges from $20,000 to $100,000. In addition, there was the daily rates.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Larry I think Kambako and RWS are on the high end in Moz (they have from what I understand a good ele area with 100 pounders taken some years). You can get it alot cheaper if not looking for that 100 pounder.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Check Kambako's website. The fee quoted there are seriously high. $31,000 minimum for license/trophy fee PLUS daily rates. Eeker

For operators that work under the Niassa Reserve there is an extra fee on top of the license fees etc that the reserve charges the operator but not in the other areas of Mozambique.

Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That in interesting and informative. It makes me view Mozambique differently.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can't find the rates on their Website. Link pls.

Posts: 2090 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KAMBAKO SAFARIS
TROPHY FEES 2012 - MOZAMBIQUE
2012 TROPHY & LICENCE FEES

SPECIES TROPHY LICENCE SPECIES TROPHY LICENCE
FEE US$ FEES US$ FEE US$ FEES US$

Baboon - Yellow 100 50 Hyena 1,000 200

Buffalo 2,300 1,200 Impala - Johnston 350 150

Bushbuck 700 200 Kudu 1,200 700

Bushpig 350 120 Leopard 4,000 1600

Crocodile 3,000 500 Lion 15,000 1600

Duiker (common) 400 80 Sable – Roosevelt under 40” 3,500 850
Duiker (red) 1,000 80 Sable – Roosevelt over 40” 5,500 850

Eland male 1,300 900 Suni 1,000 80

Elephant See below 11,000 Warthog 350 120

Grysbok – Sharpes 900 80 Waterbuck 1,800 500

H/beeste - L/stein 1,950 550 W/beeste – Niassa 1,950 550

Hippo 3,100 900 Zebra – Boheme 1,200 800

Elephant Govt & Niassa Licence Fee $11,000 plus Trophy Fee on its heaviest tusk: starting at US$ 20,000
60 - 69 lbs US$ 20,000
70 - 79 lbs US$ 25,000
80 - 89 lbs US$ 35,000
90 - 99 lbs US$ 50,000
Over 99 lbs US$ 100,000

NB. ELEPHANT PENALTY
Any elephant shot with its heaviest tusk weighing under 60lbs will accrue a fine of $10,000 and the minimum trophy fee of $20,000 still has to be paid.

NB. LION POLICY
No lions under six (6) years of age are to be shot. In the event of a lion under 6 years of age being shot without the consent of the Professional Hunter a penalty of $30,000 will be imposed on the client.

NB. BAIT POLICY
Meat used for baiting purposes that has not been hunted by the client:
Leopard & hyena baits - $ 150 / bait
Lion baits - $ 500 / bait

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't find the pricing either, on the website. What are the daily fees?

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13005 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker oh boy, looks like i never gonna hunt elephant in niassa