New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Ivory Seizure in Moz
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wonder where that much ivory might’ve come from…govt warehouse maybe? I don’t see why the various govts don’t sell their stockpiled ivory. In a normal world that would raise a lot of money that could be used at least partially for conservation of natural resources (I said could), but I think most of us have a good idea where any funds would end up.

MOZAMBICAN AUTHORITIES SEIZE 651 BAGS FILLED WITH IVORY TUSKS BOUND FOR DUBAI

Friday, 22 March 2024

The Tax Authority of Mozambique (AT) and the National Criminal Investigation Service (SERNIC) seized a twenty-foot container at the Port of Maputo on Thursday that contained 651 bags filled with ivory tusks.

The contraband was destined for Dubai, capital of the United Arab Emirates.

According to Moçambique Bio, the container was subjected to a physical and detailed examination after the first evaluation at Kudumba. During examination, a multi-sectoral team made up of elements from the Mozambican Tax Authority and the National Criminal Investigation Service discovered 651 concealed bags of ivory tusks.

The tusks had been carefully placed in the centre of the container surrounded by sacks of corn, in an attempt to deceive the authorities. Efforts are underway to identify both the exporter and the customs broker.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Karl, that is a lot of Ivory.

Placed in bags, I am assuming that the ivory was cut to various lengths to be placed in the bags.

someone had a stockpile and it probably was the government stockpile.

so nothing lost as the ivory will be returned to the government stockpile storage area for another try later.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1572 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to believe it is “old” ivory.

Posts: 1862 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely been cut, I have a photo that I’ll try and post when I get home to my computer.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can see a photo here…

https://clubofmozambique.com/n...dubai-photos-256096/

Karl Evans

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Make ivory legal to sell.

The stupid idiots who burn ivory to satisfy their sick agendas is not working.

Going as far as to ban and confiscate ivory of the past isn’t a great idea either!

No common sense whatsoever!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Going as far as to ban and confiscate ivory of the past isn’t a great idea either!

agree...

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Can someone tell me where is all the ivory recovered from dead elephants in parks?

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can someone tell me where is all the ivory recovered from dead elephants in parks?

I’m sure it’s safely stored in a secure warehouse…somewhere. Wink

Karl Evans

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have heard all sorts or arguments.

To the extent that no ivory was ever burnt!

FAKE ivory was burnt.

Some of the people involved seem to visit the far east!

Makes one wonder!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have heard all sorts or arguments.

To the extent that no ivory was ever burnt!

FAKE ivory was burnt.

Some of the people involved seem to visit the far east!

Makes one wonder!

I detest the ivory burns.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Totally agree. I have a pair of tusks stored by Buzz and company from 2015 I have ZERO chance of ever importing. I would donate them to DAPU but that isn't possible either.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
All the ban on commerce in ivory and the destruction of ivory do is drive up the price and strengthen the black market.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Maybe we could convince everyone that the tusks from wild pigs in the US are more valuable and cure ED?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3039 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So it's not 651 bags as in the first article, but 651 pieces, most of them seem to be cut, so maybe 'only' from 100-150 elephants. That could be either syndicate or government stockpile.