New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it wrong to lie to my wife?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife and I have an appointment to get shots next week. I need a booster, but this is her first trip to Tanz and she needs Hep A & B, a tetanus, Yellow Fever, I think that should be it. I never do the rabies, typhoid, etc., they recommend. She's never had any of these and is scared of needles. She asked if any of them hurt and I said no. I guess "hurt" is a relative thing. They didn't hurt me. She will think they hurt, especially the Hep and the YF. Was I wrong?

Now this is a woman who is afraid to fly in small planes subjecting us to road transfers from Arusha and between areas as well. I don't want her to pull out and not go.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Tell her Jim said the shots hurt less than the autopsy.

Glad to help. sofa

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7622 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I think you should get the same shots just out of sympathy even if you don't need them ...

donttroll

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4769 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of a corpse complaining of pain Big Grin

Needles in use today are insensitive, not like the ones they used in yesteryear when I was in school that were as thick as a nail, sterilized by boiling, re-cycled and blunt as could be from multi-use.

The Hepatitis, Typhoid/Paratyphoid A&B shots are bastards as their side effects can be most unpleasant, swelling and painful, sometimes accompanied by fever.

Once done and dusted there's no turning back and you just grin and bear it. She might give you a cold shoulder for a couple of days which is understandable, but she'll get over it (on the next safari might tell you to fuck off on your own) Big Grin

Posts: 2030 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
It is not wrong to lie to the wife as long as you don't get caught.
Cal
PS. Thsi advise is from a gent who has been single for 25 years!

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first ones should not hurt.

The later ones in the series may hurt. Hepatitis is a series injection, as are tetanus, You do build up immunity, and get a reaction.

Yellow fever has a risk to the immunization, and she will get the whole pile of paperwork from the doc.

The polio can be given orally.

I would get the typhus vaccine. That can be really nasty.

I would just tell her that she has to put her big girl pants on... (also not married)!

Jim, I have never heard anyone complain of pain from an autopsy.... Big Grin

Just remember, no pain, no gain...

Posts: 10964 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
You could tell her, as Nietsche did to to all of us, that what does not kill her will make her stronger.

But then you would have to duck and run. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After Being extremely sick with Typhoid I highly recommend getting the shot, especially now it lasts longer and has broader cover.

DRSS

Posts: 1970 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When we had ours in 2015 I swear I barely felt a thing.

What I say is for her to DO NOT look at the needle. You get yours and keep on smiling and keep her doing the same. Hold her hand and keep smiling if you need to. Tell funny stories and make her laugh. Take her to Pappasitos or her favorite place afterward.

Have her looking at you and if the Doctor is good with the injections she may barely feel much stick either.

My 2 cents.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Cal

Now I know how you have so many cool guns. I'm glad Janet Reno didn't take all your money.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
My father, God bless his soul, said women should never complain about pain if they enjoy giving birth clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68613 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Typhoid hurts the worst.

Ask I wouldn't skip on anything. But I am probably overnoculated from my military time, and our international moves.

quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
My wife and I have an appointment to get shots next week. I need a booster, but this is her first trip to Tanz and she needs Hep A & B, a tetanus, Yellow Fever, I think that should be it. I never do the rabies, typhoid, etc., they recommend. She's never had any of these and is scared of needles. She asked if any of them hurt and I said no. I guess "hurt" is a relative thing. They didn't hurt me. She will think they hurt, especially the Hep and the YF. Was I wrong?

Now this is a woman who is afraid to fly in small planes subjecting us to road transfers from Arusha and between areas as well. I don't want her to pull out and not go.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have a rule in this house, if you take the kids to get shots, you get shots. We have 3 toddler girls, I am fully caught up.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mate you are in so much trouble.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If she is intelligent she will respond to reason.

Tell her the prognosis of any of the diseases if she doesn't get the shots.

If she doesn't respond to that, let her go to Paris. tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just remind her to breath and relax... don't tighten up!

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Tell her to get over it, suck it up and deal with it
Lies? Catches up with other you one way or the other so deal with it...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:
If she is intelligent she will respond to reason.

Tell her the prognosis of any of the diseases if she doesn't get the shots.

If she doesn't respond to that, let her go to Paris. tu2

If she is a woman she WILL NOT respond to reason.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . might as well suggest to her while you are at it that she get a gamma globulin injection too at the same time to give her an immunity boost. Eeker

Mike

Posts: 21662 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Tell her Jim said the shots hurt less than the autopsy.

Glad to help. sofa

..unless the autopsy comes first..:LOL

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
If you get her to have the shots and she has a reaction, just remember...

Bribery in the form of jewelry will get you out of hot water! She may get pissed at you, but something that sparkles will ease her pain. Big Grin

Posts: 3898 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
My father, God bless his soul, said women should never complain about pain if they enjoy giving birth clap

I made the mistake of saying "Come on, a million women a day give birth" during the tortuous grunts groans etc. That didn't go over too well.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great responses.

Jim, I like the autopsy bit. I'll use that if Andrew is correct in his prediction. Blair, she goes to Paris every year. Without me generally.

Saeed, when our son was born, reluctant as I was, she cajoled me into being in the delivery room. After about 19 hours she looked at me with a look that resembled something from the Exorcist and said (in a voice that resembled the one in the movie) "You did this to me." I made the mistake of reminding her it was her idea to have kids -- yeah, Andrew, I have a track record.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suggest that you have something she will really like when you get there. I'd rather get the shots again then do another 19 hours in a SAA coach seat!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:

One question no one else seems to have asked, are you any good at lying to your wife more generally or will this be your first real whopper? Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
How you treat a woman in camp. This is our Darin Nelson.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not wrong to lie but not a good idea to post you might on the internet.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, always. If you ever do it will only come back to haunt you forever.

Which do you think would be better, her being told shots don't hurt and finding out later you lied because they do, or her being told the truth and trusting you for it?

If you don't want to tell here something then keep it to yourself but never lie to her.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
quote:
Yes, always. If you ever do it will only come back to haunt you forever.

Which do you think would be better, her being told shots don't hurt and finding out later you lied because they do, or her being told the truth and trusting you for it?

If you don't want to tell here something then keep it to yourself but never lie to her.

I think the thread was a joke???????

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7622 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit: I think the thread was a joke???????
Okay. I take it back. Go ahead, lie to your wife. And keep the baseball bat handy in case she doesn't believe you. hilbily

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
It's only Ok to lie to your wife about redheads ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4769 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Cal

Anyone woman who would marry a man who shoots varmints with a 600 Nitro Express deserves whatever she gets! Luckily she she finally got her senses rotflmo

Posts: 68613 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
How you treat a woman in camp. This is our Darin Nelson.

If she has to suffer, she should be suffering with champagne & chocolate cake!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
A fish would never get caught if he just kept his mouth shut!!...

Let her get the shots and when she moans, just say "oh really, they didn't bother me at all honey" be sure and use the word 'honey"...

Stick with me on this and you'll end up wearing diamonds as big as horse turds. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would depend on how much longer you want to stay married to her--

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Actually, it all depends on which one of your wives you are talking about.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

You guys in the West never understand us.

You think we marry four wives just for pleasure.

Well, it is not.

It all started by a well know king many years ago.

He had four wives, and they had their purposes.

HE married an Arab wife to bear him children.

He married a Persian wife to cook for him.

He married an Indian wife to give him a massage.

He married a Turkish wife to beat up, as an example for the others. clap

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, it is not.

.................................................................... jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well, it is not.

I'd stop at three, I'm not greedy. Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I've never had the typhoid shot, but I have taken an oral vaccine before every African trip.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote