THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Do you have any game mounts that are now banned?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have any game mounts that are now banned?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've seen pics of polar bears in guy's trophy rooms and it made me wonder what other game some of you may have that are now banned.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
Not mine personally, but the gunshop I frequent has a full mount tiger.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of my mounts are good but I have several items made from elephant ivory that I purchased before the ivory ban and I can't sell or barter them. Had to give away a set of scrimshawed ivory grips for a 1911.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Polar bear
Sea turtle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
'Sea Turtle'.

I caught one of those off of Surfside, TX.
It was like pulling in a tractor tire. Had quite a crowd wanting to take pics with it.
We eventually turned it toward the sea and off it went.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a polar bear you can see if you look at post on trophy rooms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walrus skull with scrimshawed tusks ... pre-ban.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I've seen a mounted tiger that was shot in Vietnam.

It's the model for the painting by Craig Bone that is in the Pentagon.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snow Owl. A friend who doesn't hunt gave it to me about 25yrs ago, think it had been hit by a car.

Posts: 105 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, several. My wife has banned most of my trophies from the house.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Schaefer
posted Hide Post
My dad has a Horned Owl mount in his trophy room. He shot it backinthe 50s when it was legal. He has it sitting on a post with a dead bird in its claws. Pretty neat mount.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..."
Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

Posts: 52 | Location: Minneapolis, MN USA | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, but I have one that had to be published in the Federal Register before getting a permit to import.

Posts: 12037 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A full-size Cheetah mount that was brought back by a GI, from an estate in Germany.

Posts: 20149 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it make the item illegal now if they were acquired before a ban???

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does it make the item illegal now if they were acquired before a ban???

I sure hope not (and don't think so).

But there may be some question as to whether or not they can be resold now legally.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Family has a set of Rino horns taken back in the 40's

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a tiger skin that has been in the family for decades. One of our relatives used to be a missionary in China and got it there before WWII. It has all the papers from the US Fish and Wildlife to proof it is legal.

It's showing its age, but it holds a place of honor on the wall back home. You don't see those too often anymore.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a buddy who has a jaguar skin that his dad shot back before WWII.

The old Buffalo Hunter gun store in downtown Santa Fe, NM used to have a gorgeous Black Rhino shoulder mount on the wall.

But he most interesting "trophy" that I've ever seen was a genuine shrunken human head that came form the Amazon Basin back around the turn of the century. It was in a private collection and I'm not sure whatever became of it.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Yes, several. My wife has banned most of my trophies from the house.

That would be the bloody day! Mad Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, I didn't know we were married to the same woman! Eeker

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
All of my mounts are good but I have several items made from elephant ivory that I purchased before the ivory ban and I can't sell or barter them. Had to give away a set of scrimshawed ivory grips for a 1911.

465H&H

If you have paper to proove the items/mounts were taken/bought before ban, they can be sold or bartered!

My wife has several items brought back from Japan, India, and OLD SIAM durring and just after WWII in the 1940s long before the ban on Ivory, and/or horn of any kind.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a timber wolf taken in Ontario and brought into the U.S. before the endangered species act ever existed. I checked with US Fish & Wildlife and was told that I could sell it antwhere in the U.S., but that I could not export it back to Canada.

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a timber wolf taken in Ontario and brought into the U.S. before the endangered species act ever existed. I checked with US Fish & Wildlife and was told that I could sell it antwhere in the U.S., but that I could not export it back to Canada.

Something about that strikes me as a little humerous. We can send you live wolves but you can't send any dead ones back! stir

Sorry I couldn't resist!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mountain lion taken by my grandfather in California in the late 1950s. It is now in our shop and I love seeing people turn their noses up at the sight of it. No more lion hunting in California.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

465H&H

If you have paper to proove the items/mounts were taken/bought before ban, they can be sold or bartered!

My wife has several items brought back from Japan, India, and OLD SIAM durring and just after WWII in the 1940s long before the ban on Ivory, and/or horn of any kind.

Mac,

I contacted USF&WS enforcement office and was told emphatically that I could not legally sell pre-ban ivory products.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is simply not true.

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

465H&H

Mac,

I contacted USF&WS enforcement office and was told emphatically that I could not legally sell pre-ban ivory products.

465H&H

quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
That is simply not true.

They simply told you wrong! You cannot import or export them but you can sell them here in the USA, it is done all the time in game mount auctions. Mounts of now banned animals, and Ivory tusks, Things made from Rhino horn! In fact the antiques Road Show record item was four cups made of Rhino horn was no more than two weeks ago! The four cups were sold for near $1000,000 USD at auction! Scrimshawed Whale teeth are bought and sold every day, in every antique auction and store in the USA!

There was a auction sale in Fort Worth, Texas Will Rogers Coliseum just last month where Elephant tusks and monted elephant heads Many of these things were from estate sales were sold at aution! This was advertised for two weeks prior to the auction on TV so I assure you if they were illegal to sell the feds would have been arresting folks in a heart beat! D/FW is a high volume Customs area, and there are feds behind every bush here!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what my scrimshawed Walrus skull is worth?

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:

They simply told you wrong! You cannot import or export them but you can sell them here in the USA, it is done all the time in game mount auctions. Mounts of now banned animals, and Ivory tusks, Things made Rhino from horn! In fact the antiques Road Show record item was four cups made of Rhino horn was no more than two weeks ago! The four cups were sold for near $1000,000 USD at auction! Scrimshawed Whale teeth are bought and sold every day, in every antique auction in the USA!

There was a auction sale in Fort Worth, Texas Will Rogers Coliseum just last month where Elephant tusks and monted elephant heads Many of these things were from estate sales were sold at aution! This was advertised for two weeks prior to the auction on TV so I assure you if they were illegal to sell the feds would have been arresting folks in a heart beat! D/FW is a high volume Customs area, and there are feds behind every bush here!

Bingo - in Reno 2009 there was a pair of 120 lb ivory tusks in the booth across from us. They sold for $60,000, which seemed like a deal for what they were.

I think both of them were right around 10 feet long, and absolutely beautiful.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what has been said here it appears that I was told wrong by USF&WS.

465H&H

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
From what has been said here it appears that I was told wrong by USF&WS.

465H&H

You were told wrong. I have noticed that there are people in all lines of business who love to answer questions with, "You can't do that!" or, "That won't work". It gives them a sense of power to stop people from doing what they want to do.

I think I am guilty of that from time to time....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
You were told wrong. I have noticed that there are people in all lines of business who love to answer questions with, "You can't do that!" or, "That won't work". It gives them a sense of power to stop people from doing what they want to do.

Over the years I have also noticed that a lot of these folks, both state and federal, have learned that if their first response to a question is negative most folks take it for the gospel and go on about their business.

It has caused a lot of the misinformation that is floating around concerning game and fish laws.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote