Find
Notify
Tools

HELP ON NEW CMS DVD
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi All

I am presently in cold Atlanta working on a new DVD. What I need to know is whether the majority of Americans have "blue Ray" dvd players (capable of playing HD DVD) as that would help us decide whether we will produce an HD version or just a standard DVD?

I would appreciate the comments especially from the pros like Dave and Tim. Likewise I am maketing DVDs in Europe/ Russia so anyone from there also who can comment on it I would be greatful. Thanks in advance. Cheers Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I own a blu ray player and every playstation has built in blu ray player as well. Highest possible quality on the film please //

Anton

Sweden

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
We have blu-ray

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of opus72
posted Hide Post
I, for one, would be willing to cough up an extra $10 or so for Blu-Ray over a standard dvd. You might sell more copies of a standard dvd now, but in a couple years I think definitely Blu-Ray. Almost everyone has HD tv's these days, and before long a standard dvd will be like a vhs tape. Personally, I'd like to use my tv to its full capabilities.

On a side note, do you know if it will be possible to have the footage from my buff/lioness hunt this coming September put on a Blu-Ray disc?

Brett Barnes

Posts: 262 | Location: Mount Pleasant, SC | Registered: 02 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Buzz, Blu-ray is here to stay for sure, but sometimes main stream America is slow to jump on the latest craze. I would say however that anyone going to buy a new DVD player would go for Blu-ray, so it's probably a good move to consider going to BR. You guys produce some outstanding video's, bar none. Good hunting, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blu-ray players are very common over here, especially among younger people, since the Playstation 3 game console works as one. However, I wouldn't say that the majority of Americans own one. As someone who owns a Blu-ray player, I would buy a Blu-ray compatible version if you sold one. However, I would also buy a normal DVD version, if that was all you offered. In the end, HD wouldn't really change my decision to buy the video, but it would be nice to have.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
How about some charts on Media Sales Revenue? Sounds like a plan to me:

Source:

http://forums.highdefdigest.co...pdate-thread-15.html

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I think Blu-Ray is the way to go. The quality is superb and the standard DVD is quickly going the way of the VCR.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
What's a DVD?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
DVD's play on Blue ray but not the other way. I go with the higher tech. Blue Ray

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the charts....it's still DVD for another 3-5 years, and the soft global economy won't accelerate it.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Buzz,

Our Magnum videos are not currently on Blu Ray, but we only send out about 1500 of each to our members. If I were selling, and I had the quality HD footage that I know you have, I would definitely produce it in Blu Ray. I know that is how I want to see it as a consumer. I don't think it will hurt sales at all, but I am also not sure it will help sales. So...I think you would want folks to see your stuff in the best possible light. Give me a call if you want to talk about it more. Home through Monday mid-day, then off to SHOT.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz-

Don't look at the charts. Useless. The marketing question is "Do most Safari Hunters (likely to buy such goods) past present or future, own a blue ray".

All the safari hunters I know have at least one blue ray player so my un-scientific experience makes it likely that considerably more than 50% of likely consumers of your goods, have blue ray.

Will you have them at Reno? See you then.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's one safari hunter that doesn't have blue ray, and I don't know anyone with one. So I would look at the charts and draw the obvious conclusion.

Chuck

Posts: 359 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
Buzz-

Don't look at the charts. Useless. The marketing question is "Do most Safari Hunters (likely to buy such goods) past present or future, own a blue ray

All the safari hunters I know have at least one blue ray player so my un-scientific experience makes it likely that considerably more than 50% of likely consumers of your goods, have blue ray.

Will you have them at Reno? See you then.

Don't confuse me with data, antedotes are better.

Since we in speculative mode, my guess is that only 10-20% of buyers of African hunting videos ever make it to Africa.
It's a little like the AR membership.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Don't have a BR and no plans to get one -- I do not claim to be an expert by any stretch but just read somewhere that the projected life expentency of the BR is fairly short -- guess I may miss the offering if done on BR --- but if as noted above --- apparently the DVDs will play on a BR --- seems reasonable to put in on a DVD and thence the BR types can also watch it.
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz,

No Blue Ray here and we don't know anyone that has one, but I suppose when we buy a new player it would be BR as all our TVs are HD

Leroy

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Blue Ray

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got our first Blue Ray (plus 3D TV).
I really think you need to go 3D, it's really cool.

Posts: 443 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blue ray might be the way to go in the States, but I don't know anyone around here in NZ with one.

Posts: 120 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 28 August 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Buzz,

There are other points you might have to take into consideration.

The price of a blank DVD is $0.31
The prioe of a blank BD disk is $3.67

I am assuming that you get your DVDs done at a commercial compnay, which means you have to order them in advance, the larger the quantity, the better teh price is.

For Bluray, you have to doa sort of a guessing game of how many you might need. If you order a large quanity, and they are not sold, then you are at a loss.

If you do not order a large enough quantity, your price is going to be relatively high, so are you prepared to absorb that?

For this reason, we offered our hunt of thso year on both DVDs and in HD, to be played on a computer, or a computer connected to an HD TV. Those who have an HD TV can easily connect their laptop to it, and play the movies that way.

They do not even have to have a Bluray player.

The funny part is we have shipped over 800 sets so far, over 90% were standard DVDs.

Also, as you have seen, we do our own production and copying in house.

I built two copiers, one for DVDs and one for Bluray, so all we have to consider is the price of the blank disks only.

If you have the option of making your hunt films to order, then it might work.

Otherwise I think you will be taking a bit of a chance.

I purposely offered our HD content in 720P rather than 1080P. As it is easier to play on most laptops than the higher quality, which seems to bring most computers to their knees. Even then, the quality is far superior to a normal DVD.

I think Bluray is here to stay. Sadly, it had not caught on as fast as it might have.

It has been hindered by the higher price, and not long ago, by the lack of much choice. I also think 3D is going to impact Bluray negatively.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had one here in Australia for 2 years and the quality is excellent if the source material is HD.
Don't listen to a Kiwi - they are backward and careless with the truth!!!!
I believe this format will survive and the main frustration is lack of available titles which are slowly increasing.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Don't have Blue Ray yet....

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a blue ray, and don't plan on buying one soon. Every penny I save gets me back to Africa sooner. I am looking foreward to your next DVD though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blue Ray and whats the theme/title of your new DVD?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zig Mackintosh
posted Hide Post
Hey Buzz,

Hope that you had a good season. I think that it all comes down to the cost of Bluray disks. Your videos are very popular and will sell either way. By releasing the title on standard DVD now, you will be able to re-release it on Bluray later on down the line. Cool

Posts: 240 | Location: South Africa/Zimbabwe | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zig Mackintosh:
Hey Buzz,

Hope that you had a good season. I think that it all comes down to the cost of Bluray disks. Your videos are very popular and will sell either way. By releasing the title on standard DVD now, you will be able to re-release it on Bluray later on down the line. Cool

+1

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I believe right now is the time that many are considering the purchase of a Blue-Ray player, because that's my situation. I probably will, but haven't yet.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A standard DVD will play on a Blue Ray player, but not the other way around so its a no brainer from my point of view. Go for the standard DVD and hence wider audience.( I would also suggest that you produce one on super 8 spool for Bill Stewart )

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have gt a HD TV, but not a blue ray player, but thats not an issue, blue ray payers a cheap
go BLUE RAY

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Buzz,
I would suggest to market your productions in DVD format for now, and then relaese a Blu ray version later on(when market conditions improve and blu ray becomes more common). I still have a DVD player and as stated the current economy will not push the technology. Like many safari hunters with not a boat load of cash, I save my money for hunting and not the newest technology. I also don't have a flatscreen TV, newest cell phone fad, or even a new truck.

Just my thoughts,
John

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doing it in Blue Ray would be a HUGE mistake!

The majority of Americans DO NOT HAVE one, there is your answer right there.

Next consider your market, baby boomer and older hunters. Lots of these guys are still trying to figure out how to set the clock on their VCR. A lot of the Blue ray sales are going to younger consumers who play video games and have a playstation 3.

Blue Ray is a good 3-5 years away as the quality is only minimally better then DVD.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
Doing it in Blue Ray would be a HUGE mistake!

The majority of Americans DO NOT HAVE one, there is your answer right there.

Next consider your market, baby boomer and older hunters. Lots of these guys are still trying to figure out how to set the clock on their VCR. A lot of the Blue ray sales are going to younger consumers who play video games and have a playstation 3.

Blue Ray is a good 3-5 years away as the quality is only minimally better then DVD.

Geoff,

I am afraid I have to disagree with you on the quality bit.

Bluray done properly shows a HUGE difference in quality.

One has to have the original footage in full HD to realise this however.

We replaced our old HDV camera with a new Full HD file based camera. And the footage from this is absolutely amazing!

May I suggest you download the footage I mean?

You will find it at the bottom of my Hunt Report. It is a very lar ge file,but I am sure you will see what I mean what the quality is.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBullet:
Buzz,
I would suggest to market your productions in DVD format for now, and then relaese a Blu ray version later on(when market conditions improve and blu ray becomes more common).

+1 - A DVD disk will play on a Blue-Ray but not vice versa. I have both so it wouldn't matter to me but thee are many more DVD players out there as the statistics above show.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
While I have two HDTVs, I do not own a blue ray player. I think most folks have not jumped on the BR bandwagon as of yet. Many who have a BR player actually have a child with a game console that doubles as a BR player. DVD still has the market share, but this will likely change as the world phases out their old televisions and moves toward more advanced TVs and components.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you bring out a new DVD, I will buy it. If you bring out a BluRay I won't. I have to believe there are a lot more like me out there. It seems like a bad idea to eliminate a portion of your potential market especially since a standard DVD can be played on a BluRay. I can't see how your market potential can be as great with a BluRay as a standard DVD.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Bluray done properly shows a HUGE difference in quality . . . And the footage from this is absolutely amazing!

I think the word is stunning. It is comparable to the difference between watching a regular TV and an HDTV.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buzz,
I would suggest to market your productions in DVD format for now, and then relaese a Blu ray version later on(when market conditions improve and blu ray becomes more common). I still have a DVD player and as stated the current economy will not push the technology. Like many safari hunters with not a boat load of cash, I save my money for hunting and not the newest technology. I also don't have a flatscreen TV, newest cell phone fad, or even a new truck.

Just my thoughts,
John

Now that's good business thinking!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oday450:
quote:
Buzz,
I would suggest to market your productions in DVD format for now, and then relaese a Blu ray version later on(when market conditions improve and blu ray becomes more common).

+1 - A DVD disk will play on a Blue-Ray but not vice versa. I have both so it wouldn't matter to me but thee are many more DVD players out there as the statistics above show.

After reading through this thread I have changed my mind now agreeing with the two gentlemen above.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys

Thanks for the helpful comments. I am leaning to doing it in both formats. The regular DVD will be sold by Safari Press and I think I will sell both regular and HD "blue ray" through our website www.cmsafaris.com where I market the other two. Cheers Buzz

ps- hunting is a damn side more exciting then editing!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote