Find
Notify
Tools

SHOOT HIM?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
Here is one for all you prospective Lion hunters.

Last day of your very expensive Lion safari and on the way to the airstrip I spot this one (photo taken two days ago at Royal Kafue) but I have a quandary. The damn thing refuses to open his mouth for a pre molar inspection.

What to do? As you do not have time to monitor this Lion. He looks alone and is lying up in the shade in the middle of a plain. Just like the photo in the brochure. Plus you could take him on foot.

I presume if I turned him down my client would immediately think that I either do not have a Lion on license or I was coming down with sunstroke.

Look a little closer to his left (left of the white stick) you will see the head of a Lioness.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
shoot him, check the teeth, if not acceptable to LEDVM dig hole and bury.

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Shoot him and pull a few teeth out. Nice lion

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Bang...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Choot im....

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I usually assume the PH knows what he is doing.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Shoot him, take hammer to his teeth, paint the nose black , smile for the camera.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:

Wonder what Lane would do?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
get the female away from him so he can get a word in edgewise, then he'll have a chance to open his mouth

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
Shoot him, take hammer to his teeth, paint the nose black , smile for the camera.

+1 Jerry... rotflmo

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Wildlife Gallery, full mount please!

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Damn, when I saw the subject, just somehow, mad Bob came to mind! Must be Springtime and hope renewed. Roll Eyes
Other than that, the kitty is worth a rapid nitrocellulose burn. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fairgame is it your policy not to shoot a lion in a pride. As far as I know it's not Zambian policy.

Posts: 203 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now that's funny!

quote:

And so is that...

As others have said, if the PH says "shoot", I'm following his instructions!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

I'd leave the final decision to you of course but he looks very good and unless the female has dependent cubs I think he fits the criteria.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
See what happens when you don't read the entire post. I hadn't read Andrew's final comment about the lioness, and thought I was cleverly the only guy who spotted that 2nd kitty. Well, what I dumbsh*t I was. Wink

But he isn't alone. There is another lion, appears to be a mature male, lying to his right, in the brush to the left of the picture. Depending on whether its mane or shadows, could also be a female. All you can easily see is its chin, black nose and right ear, with a hint that the body lays to your left. At a minimum, take a moment to see if the other lion if bigger/better/more mature or even a male.

All that said, if my PH says shoot, its gonna get real loud, real quick.

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

WWLD............just remeber this anytime you are hunting lions! Roll Eyes

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
SHOOT HIM? ...........

................One or both barrels?

.................. BOOM

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Is that a cub's chin and ear in the bushes just to Mrs. Shumba's right?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
What to do? As you do not have time to monitor this Lion. He looks alone and is lying up in the shade in the middle of a plain

OK, so no time to monitor, what happens after you shoot, approach and find that you also blew a hole in the 2 dependant cubs snuggled up to his backside?

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, where would you shoot him if he was lying down like that?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
As long as you agreed I would gladly take him!

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would take him if you give me your OK!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Andrew...I would be awaiting the green light from you,Given that... cover your ears.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is a great looking Lion. However I would guess him to be 6 or 7. There is little doubt in my mind that he is in prime breeding condition. There is also little doubt that he is a pride Lion. I thought that was one of the most important rules. Don't shoot pride Lions.

It would be very tuff, but I hope I would have the strength of will to walk away.

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elegant solution. Shoot him in the mouth. Wink

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks Andrew...I always knew you had my back. moon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36621 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not even a question for me...I can't see his ass-hole and being from Texas...I have a sworn pact to never shoot a lion unless I can take a Texas Heart Shot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36621 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the PH says shoot...... BOOM BOOM

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
quote:

Not even a question for me...I can't see his ass-hole and being from Texas...I have a sworn pact to never shoot a lion unless I can take a Texas Heart Shot.

rotflmo

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This post is why, after a lot of pondering possibilities and situations, soul searching, etc., I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I don't need to hunt lion. I tend to second guess myself to death, and with a lion, I'm afraid I'd never be convinced enough to shoot. And if I did, I'd worry about it afterwards.

Posts: 10027 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is why I pay the PH.

He looks excellent, and I would be happy to shoot him for his looks. With the other Lion around, its going to be a definite judgement call by the PH here. If he knows his area and his cats, he will probably be able to tell me pretty quickly.

I can understand the PH's quandary here- the client is going to likely be unhappy if he doesn't shoot this cat, especially if this is his "one and only" crack at a Lion. He'd be even more ticked off if he was called off, and then the next guy shoots that same cat (after the PH has a chance to really evaluate the situation.)

I guess that's why PH's are making the big bucks... hilbily

Posts: 10628 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
How would you class these two lions I took in the Kruger last week?

Shooter or non shooter

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,
I want to believe that you really know what you would do in this situation yet you have not shared this with us? So what is it going to be?

As for me, I would question as to whether or not the hunting permit would still be valid "on the last day heading to the airport" scenario you potrayed?? If not, would that not indicate the client is either a) leaving early which is fine, or b) being short-changed a hunting day which he would have no doubt paid some funds towards? Regardless of the above, if I was the client, I stand with Venda Axe (except on the age Wink). If I was the Ph, I would turn him down. In the latter instance, I have always maintained the importance of having a frank and detailed discussion on the expectations of a lion hunt with the client. Such a scenario as you described, would have been covered in that discussion. I believe it helps to a) minimize the pressure on a PHs decision making, b) helps to put clients' expectations in perspective and c) hopefully educates the client on the requirement and dynamics of lion conservation.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
get the female away from him so he can get a word in edgewise, then he'll have a chance to open his mouth

Now that is funny!!

I say if you feel it is OK to shoot then shoot. Live with your decision and don't give a bat's behind what the self proclaimed experts say.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich,

Had I not seen the Lioness hiding in the bush I would have had the client take him. Confident that this was indeed a trophy male in his sixth year. Time would not be on my side here and the mistake if any would be mine.

Others would say that I would have to monitor the Lions (male and female) for a number of days to determine that there were no dependant cubs etc etc.

Effectively we are saying you might as well pack your guns away 5 days prior to the end of your safari?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
This photo disproves any tooth ageing theory and is a famous Lion that dominates the Northern Busanga Plains of our Kafue region. The photo is a scanned copy courtesy of one time PH Francois Delby whose vast Lion hunting experience put the Lion at approximately 10 years old. Considering the depth of mane and the numerous years he had been photographed I would tend to agree

This males sharp and pointed teeth however would put him at 4 or 5? Note these Lions prey almost exclusively on the diminutive Puku which are endemic to this region.

Proof that the tooth theory is also a load of codswallop and cannot be relied upon either?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bwanamich,

Had I not seen the Lioness hiding in the bush I would have had the client take him. Confident that this was indeed a trophy male in his sixth year. Time would not be on my side here and the mistake if any would be mine.

Others would say that I would have to monitor the Lions (male and female) for a number of days to determine that there were no dependant cubs etc etc.

Effectively we are saying you might as well pack your guns away 5 days prior to the end of your safari?

I will probably get some flack for this.

TGT is the only safari company that actually has a group studying lions on their concessions.
That is something we should all be proud of.

They know the lion prides, and they know the ages of the males.

Other PHs do not have this luxury, and have to depend on their own experience and knowledge to decide if a lion is a shooter or not.

But, this raises another tickling question.

When a male becomes old enough to shoot, and they are aware of its location, do they decide which hunter gets that honor?

I am not suggesting that they do, but it certainly raises the question.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66985 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
[QUOTE]

TGT is the only safari company that actually has a group studying lions on their concessions.
That is something we should all be proud of.

Hi Saeed

I would argue this comment that TGT is the only company that has a study group on Lions, we in the APNR have a full time study group on Lions Leopards Elephants Ground Hornbills and Wild Dogs,

Regards

JK

Posts: 494 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote