THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What kind of fitness program do you engage prior to safari?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of fitness program do you engage prior to safari?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am currently running intervals, lifting shoulders hard - I want my lats and delts to easily handle toting a rifle all day. I also want my cardio to be able to handle increased heart rates in order to make better shots. My plan is to start walking hard about a month out to get used to the walking.

What do you guys do?

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I am an ultramarathon runner, so don't alter my training particularly. However, from reading your post, you seem to have a good start, but I would suggest that you add brisk walking of hills and some abdominal work.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
working abs is great idea, I am doing some core stuff, but good add some more.

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I start drinking my scotch without ice about a month before the hunt! beer

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:

HA! That is hilarious. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're already well past the average hunter. Keep it up! I run a lot but that's what suits me. It served me well in Makuti, which is the area that wore out several hunters last year.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go on long vigorous hikes with the gun you'll be carrying or a 10 pound dumbell.

Scott

Posts: 418 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Phoenixdawg

You can't go wrong with CrossFit.

www.crossfit.com

These workouts are based on a functional paradigm. The functional paradigm is that we don’t use muscles one at a time in real life, so “body building†type workouts that isolate muscles are not as affective at training for life/hunting. CrossFit workouts focus on training whole groups of muscles at the same time so they can learn to work together and coordinate powerful or quick movements together. This simulates real life and is by far a better workout paradigm for people wanting to get in shape for a hunt or for life for that matter.

This is hardcore stuff and not for the faint of heart, but if you stick it out you'll be ready to wrestle lions and drag dead elephants back to the truck by the tail. They post workouts every day for free. They go 3 days on and 1 day off. The idea is to do the workout as fast as you can, so you get cardio in with weights and plyometrics. You don't get board because it keeps you guessing as you never know what workout they'll post next.

Word of advice/caution: I'd ease into doing them otherwise they may kick your butt. I'm a young fit guy and they frequently kick mine. Also some of the workouts are near impossible so don't be afraid to pair back the weight or sets or exchange impossible exercises for similar possible ones. You can start out lower intensity and then turn it up as you get use to the workouts. Don't be intimidated by my warning. People of all ages and abilities can do them just make sure you use common sense and good form.

I did CrossFit for 3 months before my safari 2 years ago and I was in amazing shape.

Brett

Cheers LJS!!!

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
If some of the exercises are unfamiliar look them up under exercises & demos. If you are interested and have any questions let me know.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My long term [6 years] fitness maintainance program has been: 3X a week, 20 deep knee bends, 30 toe touches, 30 push-ups, 6 pull-ups; followed by a 3 mile jog over mixed ground [pavement, gravel, firm sand] and then another 30 push-ups and 6 pull-ups as well as 20 sit-ups. When I was in Africa in '06 I had no trouble keeping up with whatever came along. We were hunting the Dande North which is fairly hilly, and if I were going back there, I would add some hill climbing and running for a few months before the trip.
Have a great hunt, SXS

Posts: 29 | Location: Northeast USA | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I am competitive powerlifter and spinning instructor so, I have 12 hours heavy weightlifting and 10 hours aerobic activity per week minimum. I only do some extra running on a tread at high incline as a suppliment.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm a contractor, I've worked construction for oh thirty years or so. Try walking around with 15 to 20 pounds of crap in a tool belt all day, on your feet, climbing ladders, whatever. Want a real workout? Try hanging sheet-rock for a while, makes humping 5/8" sheeting up onto a roof seem like fun. Plus I try to run 2 to 3 miles every evening, can be a pain in the Montana winter, so I cheat and just run to the gym if the weather is halfway good and run on a tred mill. If the weather is really crappy I just stop off after work.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
you mean your hunting camps didn't have ice? man, you were really roughing it!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Actually, if you are in a reasonable good shape, you would do just fine in Africa.

Most of the hunting would require you walk between 2 to 6 miles a day. On very rare occasions, you might have to walk about 15 miles or so.

A more important factor to take into consideration is being able to make an accurate shot after running for a bit.

Speed and accuracy in taking your shot are the two most important aspects of your hunt.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I think that you need to walk a lot on uneven terrain, thru brush, ducking under limbs, while steping over branchs. you will be doing very little hunting on pavement, or, in an air conditioned gym.
endurance counts if you are going elephant, or, buffalo hunting. Hell, if you are in any shape at all you can carry your rifle for a few hours, again you are not going to be carrying it at high port, at least I never have

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Prior to a hunt I will bike during the hottest and most humid time of the day. Heat seems to take more out of me than carrying equipment on long walks out hunting.

I cannot run due to past multiple fractures and a destructive bone tumor but I can walk all day and pedal a mountain bike. I also practice shooting since I may have to rely on that since I do not run.

When I hunted in the Zambezi Valley I was glad I did the heat work outs, it was over 100 degrees F every day and very humid.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carry my double rifle and hunt pigs on foot on my place in Texas. It is hilly it's hot in the summer and it a fun as hell.

Hunting is a great way to get in shape for hunting.

Not only that but hunting hogs gives you tons of trigger time and the terrain and temps and shooting situations are a serious Africa simulator.

I am unable to run so walking, bike riding and weight training are my at home exercises.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of my African hunts have been pretty easy. Lots of walking and lots of heat but nothing too vertical.
I do a lot of incline (stair stepper, 15% grade on treadmill) arobic's with a back pack on. I circuit train with weights 3 days per week (arobics 5 per week). I also do a lot of work on the eliptical machine to save my knee's. I'll put a 50# pack on and go push cut my grass rather than using the rider. I'll do day back pack trips around the mountains here. There is nothing like uneven terrain to get the small muscles working.
I've been a sheep hunter for 25 years so the very best way to get in shape is go on a 10 day sheep hunt. Nothing like it for tuning up your body.

As for shooting. When I'm at the range and it goes safe to check targets, I'll go run around the parking lot till "hot' is called. I immediately start shooting off sticks to practice with my heart rate and breathing elevated. Even when you recover you're usally still hot and uncomfortable, just like you'll be in Africa.

Posts: 443 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
57 years old and hard workouts are out... I ride a bike for upto 7 miles and I walk in many in local state parks carrying a 10 lb dumbbell curls and reverse curls and presses alternating hands... I also step on all rocks and roots to twist ankles in all different directions to strengthen them... When riding in my truck I carry one of those hand squeezers to strengtghen grip foreamrs and fingers... two months of this and I am ready to go and chase m'bogo...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Alaska Hunter

Great idea. I'll have to try practicing with my heart rate up.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cut down on Oreos since I know they will not be available in safari camp.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Buzz had Oreos for me in camp -- and Blue Bell Cookies and Cream ice cream too. Must be something you said to him.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Even in the best of shape (which certainly am not), hunting (especially dangerous game) brings new challenges. One may be able to ride a bike or walk at a brisk pace all day long. But walking through thick jesse and up and down sandy river bottoms brings a new element that is hard to prepare for (in my opinion). One of the most difficult things I find in walking (often at a quick pace) in a crouched position..I am sure I have lost a lot of flexibility but I can never seem to get low enough. One thing I definitely plan on doing next year is apply the advice that Buzz gives in his first video about letting the trackers carry your rifle. Certainly there are times when you will/must carry the rifle yourself, but otherwise I am going to let the tracker carry it. I realize that many of the egos on this board would never allow or fathom such a horrid action, but when that 5 mile walk through the bush does turn into 15 or 20 miles I want to be as fresh as possible to take the shot.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget drinking warm beer, that can be a real challenge for some people. Especially those That have not been properly conditioned. Wink

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Don't forget drinking warm beer, that can be a real challenge for some people. Especially those That have not been properly conditioned. Wink

On a 17 trip around Bali in the 90's I came to love warm Bintang. Amazing what 99 degrees with 99% humidity will do for your preferences.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can keep the Oreos...but I wish we could get the bottled Cokes like they still have in Zim. It's got to be a different recipe then we get here in the States...different syrup or something.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Same with Mexican Coca-cola.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I found that the heat really kicked my butt the first few days. I am just not accustomed to it, and working out on our hottest days is no-where near comparable. So, next time I will do some workouts in a sweat suit (like boxers use to drop weight) and spend some time in a sauna.

The other thing I noticed that I was not fully prepared for was massive amounts of leopard crawling and crabwalking, etc. That stuff really takes its toll after awhile if you are not prepared.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always have good intentions, but I'm lax about exercising for a hunt..I rope a lot, so I guess that works for me, sometimes...

I take my vitamins and beer every evening, and a glass of vino always gets me in shape! I get by...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Same with Mexican Coca-cola.

I thought of that after I posted. I spent a lot of time in Mexico about 15 years ago and thought the same. Kind of funny how in the bit of traveling I've done that I can always find Coke but Pepsi is another matter. Glad I like Coke.

As to the heat, that gets to me too now that I don't live in TX anymore. I have been running with more clothes on just to generate heat. I would like to get a little sauna too.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
As others said - crabwalking, crawling...after doing it for 1/2 hour its not funny anymore - for some that is Smiler

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HAY-MAN:
Go on long vigorous hikes with the gun you'll be carrying or a 10 pound dumbell.

Scott

I don't know if the dumbbell is a handy carry, but prior to my buff hunt in '06, I walked several miles a week on a friend's acreage carrying my loaded rifle, binos, and other gear I'd use on the hunt. I started three months prior to the hunt, and it paid off in spades.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Work-off as much nervous energy as you can. If working-out keeps you from thinking about the hunt, get after it. Pass the time before the hunt as best you can.

I personally don't do anything. What I can't figure out is why hunting never tires me.

At 57 I did a ten day backpack dall sheep hunt in the Northwest Territories. I thought that would probably show me my limits, but it was not as tough as I anticipated. It was one of the greatest hunting experiences I've ever had.

Hunting in Africa has not been near as strenuous as elk hunting for instance. The thing I do find is that at 61 I'm a lot smarter hunter now than when I was 21. When I was young I "pushed" game. Hunting with good guides and PHs, I've learned patience is a tremendous asset. I use my head more than my lungs and my legs now.

But, if it makes you feel good, drop and give me 20.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
I hired a personal trainer, walked 3-5 miles 5 times a week 1 year prior to my safari. All of it really helped.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wasn't there another thread recently that gave an opinion that; safari hunters in africa are obese, old farts who shoot their animals out of the backs of vehicles because they are so out of shape they couldn't stalk an animal more than a hundred yards ------or something to that affect Confused

this thread indicates, "Africa Hunters" that such a point of view was B.S. BOOM

myself--I am hitting my elliptical trainer everyday ---weights most days and most nights I train in grappling/martial arts.
The weather is beginning to break here-----so I will be out shooting as much as possible to get in shape what is most important-----my shooting! Big Grin

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
the one thing I can remember that really set my legs on fire was walking in fairly loose sand. I had been going on lots of walks in preparation, and did pretty well except for in the loose sand.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At 53, I am training as I did when I took a bunch of Boy Scouts to Philmont. I walk 2 to 3 miles every weekday with a pack, then 5 to 7 miles on Saturday and Sunday. Use my hunting boots and lose about 20 lbs. I also started a bunch of flexibility exercises to help with the back, hamstrings and knees. It is helping and works great for me.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I'm already eating an extra box (of 12) chocolate donuts every morning, and adding half a pound of lard to each pound of bacon for breakfast. Four months out, I switch from cigarettes to cigars and be sure to eat extra helpings at dinner right before bed. lol
Sorry, I just couldn't help it.

I started my elliptical bike sessions last week and started evening walks after dinner. I'll increase the walks to jogs in a month. Cut back on what I eat, especially breads, pasta's or potato's. I'll begin long weekend days of metal detecting for civil war relics soon (in steep mountainous terrain) and continue until late May when the humid heat, undergrowth, poison Ivy, Chiggers, & Ticks take over.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote