New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best meal on safari?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hands down!!!!! Chips mayai, I started every morning of a 21 day Selous Safari with the perfect amalgamation of potatoes and eggs. a close second...chicken fried Zebra and garlic mashed potatoes.....very tasty!!! of course most any meal afield is good if the day went well, and it doesn't hurt to wash it down with a cold Tusker or Castle. Many fine SA wines aren't bad either....but of course this is coming from someone who at times has found a freeze dried Mountain Hut dehydrated meal pretty tasty too.

Posts: 98 | Location: NW Missouri | Registered: 26 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudu cottage pie. I could eat my weight in that stuff!

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Cold left-over chunks of Kongoni with a liberal dose Tabasco sauce midmorning on the trail of buffalo.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grilled Reedbuck with au gratin potatoes, corn, and Kingsley Cola. A pack of Stimorol Wild Cherry for the bush the next day Wink

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Crowkiller
posted Hide Post
Charl cooked Nyala on the braii one evening:

It was spectacular. I guess that Nyala is too hard to domesticate or it would put the beef industry out of business.

TANSTAAFL

Posts: 73 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My absolute favourite is zebra schnitzels with potatoes au gratin and I have managed to teach a good number of camp cooks to do it over the years.

It is even better the next day in the chop box so be sure they cook double the necessary.

My other great stand by is eland filet (preferably but kudu, oryx, and many others will do), marinaded in olive oil and crusted in biltong spice (salt, coarse ground balck pepper and coriander) then seared over a hot fire and sliced thick while still rare.

Posts: 280 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote