Find
Notify
Tools

Best meal on safari?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
One can tell from my pictures that I love to eat and great meals utilizing the game I take is one of the reasons I go on safari.

Until my last trip, my favorite dinner was thinly (wafers, really) of impala meat wrapped in a ring with alternating layers of onions, sun-dried tomatoes and mixed peppers with the divider of a croissant-like crust. I guess the whole thing was made into a roll and then sliced like a loaf of bread. A white sause with a hint of mild cheese was then poured lightly over and mandrin oranges and red grapes were the garnish. Wow!

At Deka, I had the equal. We shot some francolin and the chef made a dish (shredded breasts only) with onions and fresh mushrooms, a brown gravy using the marrow, etc. (and maybe some bacon grease?) all over unpolished rice.

I like South African wine, and with both, a dry red (almost dusty) was served. Perfect!

What's your favorite?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eland steaks with real french fries(not the frozen junk).

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushbuck filets with carmalized onions and potatos or grilled Zebra with peppers.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I almost forgot, wild African honey and honeycomb for dessert.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was unsucessful this year in my search for my Suni, so I missed out on my favorite meal. Pygmy antelope (any species) liver, kidney and heart fried up with onions in a brown gravy and served for brunch with fried eggs, beans etc. and a cold Castle.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't know if i have an actual favorite, but the bacon wrapped dove breasts last month were sure good

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zebra steaks on open coals

Posts: 20090 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kongoni steaks medium rare with all the trimmings over a brown rice grown at the little village of Mahenge, just outside the Selous. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to say grilled zebra and springbok steaks with green peppers and mushrooms as well as eland sausage at Etosha Lodge...enjoyed with some excellent South African wine.

Posts: 71 | Location: St. Michaels, Maryland | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite dinner was mountain zebra tenderloin over camelthorn coals with a nice South African red. My favorite lunch was breaded eland schnitzel over spaetzel with pickled beets (or as Vaughan Fulton insisted on calling them "beet root salad.") Just as good as my late grandmother's!

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Its a tie:

Buffalo steak, egg, and chips (fries) OR

Filet mignon of giant eland.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eland steak with pumpkin fritters.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MD375, have not had the tongue but sounds great.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DOJ

Tongue is really nice. Also if you want to be a bit brave you should try vetderm (I think it is colon). Really nice when grilled over the coals.

Posts: 389 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Had great Kudu and Gemsbok steaks at Jim's Beerhouse in Windhoek, Namibia. The food we had with our outfitter was good, but nothing that was considered anything special.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
For dinner, floured and fried Hippo balls for an appetizer, cape buffalo tail soup, grilled buffalo steaks (thick and seared on the outside but medium rare inside).

For lunch, cold guinea foul or buffalo tongue sandwich.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Guinea Fowl casserole. Nothing better in all Africa. Zebra Cordon Bleu is also pretty good and a nice Eland steak is top grade food by any measure.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
prof242, don't want to rain on your parade, but what more would you expect from me Big Grin it is Joe's. The food is good there I had the kabob and as I remember (one of the first things to go) it had Zebra, Gemsbok, Chicken, Croc and
Kudu.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to grilled zebra tenderloin, grilled of course by John Sharp in Zim. Just great of course SA red! He could be the most expensive cook in Zim but he is worth the price!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After taking a very nice Eland, one of our trackers made a sausage out of part of the intestine and various parts of the Eland. It was about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and about 2 feet long. I can't remember what it was called, but cooked over Ironwood coals with cold Castle beer I almost made myself sick with that little appitizer. The Eland tenderloin was also very good!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MD375, are any of the snakes in RSA good eating?

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I've had many dishes that I found delicious, but an absolute favorite red meat would have to be Bontebok. There is no doubt why they nearly became extinct. Grilled tenderloins and back strips marinaded in Olive oil, lime and garlic over coals is fabulous. Other foods I love would be Impala, onion/mushroom meat pies, Bushbuck/Nyala tenderloins, Francolin breast fillets wrapped around pineapple and smothered in white cheese and about anything Chris Troskie's wife Sabina cooks. She has worldly cooking skills and serves some outstanding meals. About every PH and Outfitter in southern Africa I book for or have hunted with does a great job at serving quality meals, but sometimes you come across those that are gifted in the culinary arts. Charl Van Rooyen cooks a mean steak just with the bare necessities when it's just us guys out in the bush.
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, it was not a Puffadder, but did look similar.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oxtail or marrow bone soup with homemade bread followed by main course of Sitatunga Cordon Bleu.

Posts: 97 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That is such a hard one, as I have had so many great dishes and meals on Safari. I have to say that Eland, fixed nearly any way, is probably at the top, however.

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
For dinner, floured and fried Hippo balls for an appetizer,

Eeker Eeker Eeker Eeker

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gemsbok tenderloin in a curry sauce with fresh vegetables. So spicy it was a three beer delight!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Eland steaks cooked by yourself on cast iron tiles heated on an open fire.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eland tenderloin, split and stuffed with ham, onions and garlic and then baked and sliced. Sable kabobs were memorable too.

Posts: 1475 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
floured and fried Hippo balls for an appetizer

Scott... hate to admit it but I liked em too!

Also, Roan filets grilled with blue cheese crumbles... by our French trained chef in Benin. Outasight!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eland steaks with real french fries(not the frozen junk).

I agree!

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite this trip to Botswana was springbok liver with onions, little red potatoes and vegetables served with red wine. I can almost taste it again! The next night we had springbok steaks on the grill. Riann marinated them in milk and somthing else that escapes me now. Another great entree!
John

Posts: 154 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ate like a king at Chirisa.Fresh baked cakes,all kinds of soups,meat dishes,a special BBQ night,impala roast,buff steaks(from my freshly shot buff),fresh fruit,foot long fresh kudu jerky for the days trip,salads,SA red wine,cheeses...there was no end to it-they just poured it on.Then there were those delicious,gigantic pork chops I ate at Bobs,in Harare.I wouldn't mind going back there again.I loved my room with its seperate shower and bathroom-everything was great.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
My favorite African meal?......my NEXT one!

That said had some Eland liver fried with apples that was outstanding, as with my first meal of Zebra. At first I thought 'Oh no, I'm about to eat some white/black horse meat'. But it was great.

I think the European influence on African hunting really puts an emphasis on quality. I've been on some big dollar hunts in other parts of the world and eaten canned beanie-weenie dinners and pancakes was a big deal.

Other than some mealie-pop stuff for breakfast and some mutton that was a bit tough one night....I've never had a bad meal while hunting in Africa.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Another thing, the bacon in Zambia was great. I hope it is the same in Zimbabwe and I wish we had it here!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The meal I liked the best was grilled Gemsbok fillets with roasted peppers, onions and squash.

About the only thing that I missed was coffee. Instant Nescafe is not coffee!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
grilled sable tenderloin

just slightly better than eland or reedbuck tenderloin

agree francolin casserole is pretty good too

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am suprised no one has so far mentioned:
warthog, kudu, oryx,....

I am further suprised how many of you voted buffalo steaks! Eeker Eeker

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Its a tie:

Buffalo steak, egg, and chips (fries) OR

Filet mignon of giant eland.

I'm with you on them both, Will! thumb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had some great Impala stew, and an English Sunday Roast with Zebra that was a bit strange but well good.
But Canadian "Prairie Chicken" with potatoes baked in the camp fire embers and fresh picked Corn on the cob can not be beat.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote