New
Find
Notify
Tools

What ever happened to...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It snowed 12 1/2 inches in Dallas yesterday, biggest snow fall in recorded history! Didn't go to work, spent most of the day on the computer, "cabin fever". Got to thinking about some of the posters on the African forum, those that have not been around in a while, but used to post a lot. What ever happened to...John the Greek, Yukon Delta, Giraffe Killer, Marterius, Widowmaker416, Cats, Carmelo, Serval, Judy? I think Carmelo may have been banned, but did the others just drift away? I did a search on some of their posts but have not found any in the last year. Anyone remember them? Confused

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
John the Greek was teaching in Cairo I believe. Yukon Delta has gotten busy with other things from what I hear. Not sure about Widowmaker, wondered the same myself. Cats may or may not be around under another alias, depending on who you ask. Judy -- not sure if banned or just lost interest or changed names.

That's about all I know.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I posted back and forth with John the Greek once about coming over to Egypt to fish for Nile Perch in that big lake they have, Lake Nasser? He was going to get a group together with a local guide, price of around $500 per person. I recall someone saying he was sick. Yukon Delta used to send me PM's about his elephant hunt with a lever action. I think he drifted away. Anyway, thanks Charles. Anybody else know any of these?

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I miss John the Greek also. He always got things "going" around here.

I would add Longbob to the list as I missed reading his posts for a few years. But then, about two months ago, he reappeared.

EricD is another interesting member who has floated away.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
JohnTheGreek got married, not sure what else may have happened. Hopefully he is okay.

There were a couple of "What happened to Yukon Delta" threads here you can probably dig out.

ErikD was banned I believe. Still around at NitroExpress.Com, the last place I saw JohnTheGreek as well.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will do another search on "John the Greek". I wouldn't mind getting some more info on those $500 Lake Nasser fishing trips. That is still one of the items on my "bucket list". I still seem to remember someone posting that he was ill? I did do a search and read Yukon Delta's last post, and I don't recall it saying what he was doing now, but do remember something about him taking on other ventures other than hunting. He seemed to be a very nice guy, and very knowledgeable. He used to PM me once and a while, asked for pictures of my trophy room and lifesize buffalo mount. I sent him several pictures of my trophy room, although I have never posted any here on AR. Brings up another topic; a moderator once said there is probably as much PM'ing between members here as there is regular posts. Sort of a AR subculture - that for every popular post, there are other posts going back and forth between the members. Maybe some members still stay in contact with these guys? Just a thought. I will also check out the Nitro site.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I spent some time with John the Greek in Salt Lake City before he went to Egypt.

After he got married I know he and his wife bought a cabin in Alaska.

I have not heard from him in a while...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:

ErikD was banned I believe.

Boy I hope that is incorrect. He sure did not seem like the type to get himself banned.

Does anyone else know if this is true?

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know Cats and Carmelo were banned, some say that they were the same person. I heard ErikD was banned but don't know for sure or why.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:

ErikD was banned I believe.

Boy I hope that is incorrect. He sure did not seem like the type to get himself banned.

Does anyone else know if this is true?

Yes it is true.

Erik and JOHAN started playing some silly games, and I asked them to stop.

They wouldn't, so they got banned.

I think those of you who have been on here for a while know how easy going we are. But a limit has to be set, and when someone reaches this limit we ask them to refrain from whatever they are up to.

If they do, all is forgiven and a new page is started.

If they persist, we have no option but to stop them accessing the forums.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Culpepper:
I know Cats and Carmelo were banned, some say that they were the same person. I heard ErikD was banned but don't know for sure or why.

I am pretty sure your are correct on Carmelo, but I don't think Cats was banned, just drifted away. I remember seeing his picture posted here with a group of big bore shooters from AR, I think somewere on the East coast. I sure don't think they were the same person, I remember seeing Carmelo's picture too. I think he even had his own hunting and shooting website! A did often suspect Cats and Serval were one in the same, or very close friends. They would back up each others posts and usually posted at the same time.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
IMO, it isn't easy to get banned on Accurate reloading but it is posible! As Saeed says nobody is banned untill they are given a chance to cease and desist. If one doesn't heed the warning.................

I will say the best place on any website to transgress enough to actually get banned is to vist the political forum, and get sideways with the powers that be!

I have a personl rule that I live by. I never discuss politics with anyone unless it is face to face, and religion is a subject that, again IMO, is a very personal subject that requires no approval from anyone, nor does it require my input to others!

The internet has some very disturbing draw-backs that tend to make people angry when the above subjects are argued, a term some call debate! I do not call it debate, because there is no place in debate for anger!

.................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Widowmaker is still running {or hiding} from irate taxidermy clients and PH's.

Last I heard he had relocated to the west somewhere from NJ.

I don't think he has reappeared here since then [several years now].

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
John the Greek is alive and well...

I speak with him about once a month...

he is still teaching in Cairo

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Please give him my best regards.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you LHowell and Mike_Dettoree. This is the kind response I was hoping to get. Smiler Glad to hear John is doing well. I thought he had left Egypt and returned either to Canada or the US. I miss him on this forum.

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
quote:
JohnTheGreek got married,.

R.I.P. !!!!!!

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I've been gone for a bit, myself. Is there anyone I should know about who has 'passed the bar'? I've lost a couple of webfriends from another site and it was hard. I'd hate to come back here and find a row of tombstones when I wasn't expecting it.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of people looking for widowmaker.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldsarge:
I've been gone for a bit, myself. Is there anyone I should know about who has 'passed the bar'? I've lost a couple of webfriends from another site and it was hard. I'd hate to come back here and find a row of tombstones when I wasn't expecting it.

I know that Murf (Murray Schmidt) who used to post quite a bit on the forums and who loved to hunt has passed. That is one of the reasons I started this thread, I was afraid we might have lost some others, and just not know it. Sometimes members just quit posting and you never know why.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Sarge

Robert Johnson passed away recently.

Does anyone know what happened to N'gali?

What about Shumba?

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone heard from Marterius? We were supposed to meet in Sweden once but we never got around to it. Nice guy, hope he´s OK.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Well said Mac, and good advice!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cewe:
Anyone heard from Marterius? We were supposed to meet in Sweden once but we never got around to it. Nice guy, hope he´s OK.

Marterius was on my list. He used to post here a lot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And what about Ninja Hunter? He used to post a lot; he is still listed as Moderator on the Falcon Hunting Forum. I think his last post was years ago.

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
what about Bill Mc? I still remember his signature..

Back to the still! The older I get, the better I was.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Shumba is alive and well.

I get an email from him from time to time.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yukon Delta was a pastor in Scott City, KS 10 years ago. Then I went to Africa and He went to Alaska. Hang out with him and his family at the Tulsa Gun Show one year. Good guy. I think he is in Texas raising support for his mission.
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know what happened to N'gali?

What about Shumba?

As Mike mentioned Shumba is fine. I spoke with him just a couple weeks ago. He's busy with work and family.

I spoke with N'gagi last month as well. Same story, just really busy with work and family.

Both are great guys. Hopefully they'll be back some day.

Kyler

Posts: 2509 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
Who could forget africanbowhunter (Tink Nathan). He seems to be doing fine, just doesn't post here anymore. www.tinks.tv

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
John the Greek is alive and well...

I speak with him about once a month...

he is still teaching in Cairo

Awesome. Last I heard, he was moving to a cabin near Whitehorse YK. He was doing a Bison hunting article, and I sent him some pictures....then never heard what happened.

Please say Hi to him from Canuck as well!

Cheers
Chris

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RBHunt:
It snowed 12 1/2 inches in Dallas yesterday, biggest snow fall in recorded history! Didn't go to work, spent most of the day on the computer, "cabin fever". Got to thinking about some of the posters on the African forum, those that have not been around in a while, but used to post a lot. What ever happened to...John the Greek, Yukon Delta, Giraffe Killer, Marterius, Widowmaker416, Cats, Carmelo, Serval, Judy? I think Carmelo may have been banned, but did the others just drift away? I did a search on some of their posts but have not found any in the last year. Anyone remember them? Confused

Going back even further....I often wonder what happened with Matts B. Johannsen. (sp?)

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What ever happened to Terry Carr....diagnosed with Cancer last i heard
Daniel

Posts: 1488 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a personl rule that I live by. I never discuss politics with anyone unless it is face to face, and religion is a subject that, again IMO, is a very personal subject that requires no approval from anyone, nor does it require my input to others!

The internet has some very disturbing draw-backs that tend to make people angry when the above subjects are argued, a term some call debate! I do not call it debate, because there is no place in debate for anger!

Mac: I couldn't agree more!

Good to hear some of the old posters are alive and well. Hope the same goes for Mr. Carr, whose going to Africa posts were invaluable to me in 2007.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
What ever happened to Terry Carr....diagnosed with Cancer last i heard
Daniel

I knew I was forgetting someone. He is one of the most generous members AR has had.

Does anyone have an update? I hope he is doing well.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
posted Hide Post
I "see" ErikD on a local hunting site once in a while.
He is around and in good shape.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
What ever happened to Nickudu?

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You can probably raise him by PM at NitroExpress.Com, the last place I saw him active. I miss the classic articles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatever happened to cchunter? Christer?

He's not been here for almost 2 years. A big guy who really liked his big bore rifles.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember cchunter was having some health issues.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote