New
Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic clothes on safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is probably a stupid question but I have heard a couple times now about only bringing natural fiber clothes like cotton do to the ironing melting sythetic fabrics.

Since I prefer gear form companies like North Face and Underarmour I have lots of sythetic stuff. I greatly prefer performance clothing.

I guess the real question is why is anybody ironing anything in the middle of nowhere in the first place?

Secondly I assume I can just request not having anything ironed to avoid having any of my clothes melted? I'm sure they are not going to take the time to read the tags and follow the instructions, LOL!

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been told the ironing is to kill the sandfly eggs and larvae to prevent them from boring into your skin. Never had the problem, but it's one I'd prefer to avoid.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course you can request no ironing. In fact, they will be happy to comply. However, why take performance style clothing to Africa? It's just the opposite of what you might take to Alaska...in Africa, I actually prefer cotton type clothing whereas I would never wear that in Alaska.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geoff - Thanks for bringing this up. I too have been thinking about this as I am planning on taking a lot of synthetics on my trip to Namibia next month. I'll be hunting a farm area and the laundry is done more in a modern way as opposed to out in the bush type camps. My thought was just to make a request of "no ironing" on anything dropped into the laundry basket each day. I will also remind my hosts of this wish and hope for the best. Shirts, pants and other things that are cotton don't really need ironing anyway as I'll just be wearing them out on the hunt the next day or two.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
As Lavaca says, one of the reasons for ironin is to kill things like bot fly lavae etc..... believe me, if those things are extremely unpleasant.

The reason cotton is so good in Africa is that it absorbs sweat which then cools you as it evaporates........

But hey, it's your hunt, wear what you like. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
Ironing, kills fly eggs and you do not want to ask not to have this done... If you ask around youu will find that they are not plesant.

I used UA gear this past year in Zim, mainly t-shirts: but the ironing did not damage the material and when walking 6-10 miles/day I really appreciated not being drenched.

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Asking not to have clothes iron is fine, but don't be surprised if they do it anyhow. It is just standard practice in most camps, and when clothes are washed and dried by hand it makes a much nicer looking garment when ironed. There are NOT many electric tumble driers in the bush!

I take mostly cotton, but occassionally some synthetics. I have a real nice pair of pants with an iron shaped hole melted in one leg from a camp in Zim. It is a nice souveneir! Be prepared to loose a garment or two, at least occassionally, if you take synthetics.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
You do not want to risk getting get a Cuterebra maggot (or two) do you? Clothing should be ironed to kill parasites.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I have yet to have my performance tshirts, shorts, socks or underwear "melted".

I have had a nice pair of cotton shorts go missing at Chifuti's camp though.

For the other clothing, I do like the cotton or blends (button-down safari-style shirts, zip-off longs for cooler weather, hooded sweatshirt w/front hand pocket for the back of the truck, baggy sweatpants for around camp and morning on the truck over shorts if chilly, etc...).

Wear whatever makes you happy. Smiler

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea Bill but look what the help is wearing...cotton! Wink I would definitely take performance type socks like Smartwool and NOT cotton socks. Other than that, I like to wear cotton in Africa.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I wore Under Armour for 10 days last year in Zimb. I just asked for no ironing. The new fishing shirts are made like safari shirts and are super. they have stretch, ripstop and breathe like UA...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Yea Bryan and so did I on my first and second trip. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Touche. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info on why they iron.

For those of you who like cotton for evaporation you need to try some of the high tech stuff from companies like underarmour.

UA is so superior it is ridiculous, there is a reason that it has caught on like wild fire in everything from Football to hunting.

Nothing wicks moisture away and evaporates it like UA gear. You will never want to wear cotton again.

When wearing a cotton shirt I'll have "sweaty pits" in a matter of a few minutes even with the best anti perspirant. Wearing UA shirts I can drive for hours or fly and my pits are bone dry.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Not based on anything scientific but I have found that all shirts eventually disintegrate on safari. They look fine but a litte left to right stretching and they just start to fall apart. I've lost 3 while hunting. Two synthetic and 1 cotton. I think the ironing is necessary so I'll just take an extra each time I'm not packing new stuff which is most of the time.

I've used several types of clothing but medium weight cotton is my first choice.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one other point - i used to just wear t shirts, and that is fine until you get into a fly area. then the t shirt material gives them something to land on grab hold of and really pound it to you. After one application i took to hard surfaced cotton.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a big ripstop cotton fan, worked well for me in a variety of hot climates. I have not been to Africa yet, going in June, but ripstop is what I am taking along with cotton pants.

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, for God's sake and mine buy Underarmour the more the better, maybe a dozen of each! dancing

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like hard surfaced, light weight cotton shirts. But synthetic shorts and stretch running shorts under them make walking all day comfortable with no chafing and all moisture wicked away.

A really thin wicking sock under light weight SmartWool socks works to keep the feet as dry and cool as possible.

There's been no damage from the ironing, yet.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm all about synthetics on the feet and under shorts (can't bring myself to say performance underwear!). What really bothers me is having tight shirts on. I understand the wicking properties very well as I use them in the north country. I just don't like them in the heat.

It's a personal thing I guess but I really like the feel of cotton shirts that get sweaty and then you feel the coolness of it. I don't want tight clothing for the most part.

One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
Yukon, Under Armor now has a line out called "Heat Gear" that they sell in a Loose-Fit style. I've tried them and you get the advantages of UA without the "sausage" feel.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks GL. I will check that out. Hey, I'm open to new ideas too.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've lost a couple of items to ironing in both South Africa and Zimbabwe. I prefer the ironing to taking chances with the local insects.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I never take synthetic with me. One time was enough to learn: my expensive safari shirt melted. My PH offered to replace it as he told the girl who ironed it to only use the lowest setting. Was still too much heat, especially since it was Wilma Flintstone that ironed it.
troll
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
This may be of limited relevance, but some synthetic garments, especially trousers and jackets/windbreakers are noisy as hell when stalking. I wore a nylon jacket one year and my PH finally had to say something.

My cotton gear has survived several trips.

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JPenn
posted Hide Post
I have spent most of my 62 years in the deep south, currently Houston. Someday I think I may try some of the synthetics, I am sure they are better now that in the past, but for the long haul, gimme cotton. Namibia was no different.

opinions are like.....well, you know....

SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

Posts: 226 | Location: Texas | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
I'm all about synthetics on the feet and under shorts (can't bring myself to say performance underwear!). What really bothers me is having tight shirts on. I understand the wicking properties very well as I use them in the north country. I just don't like them in the heat.

It's a personal thing I guess but I really like the feel of cotton shirts that get sweaty and then you feel the coolness of it. I don't want tight clothing for the most part.

Its the same for me. I like the running tights under my shorts but I really don't like anything tight on my torso.

The shirts I wear were made by Lewis Creek, no longer in business, and are very light but with a hard finish. They have a vent back and mesh to keep the bugs out. They've stood up well and I've repaired rips and tears along the way. I wear them dove hunting and early duck hunting too. I figure they've got a couple more safaris and a couple more years to go.

Filson makes a very lightweight, 100% cotton shirt for fishing that comes in an olive color that would work well. I've got several that I used to keep on my sportfishing boat and they hung in their well for years. They're showing their age now, but they would make a good safari shirt.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you this...I'm changing clothing from what I used last year in Zim. Those Cabelas safari shirts are not my preference after using them! The zip off pants were ok but I will try something different next time. It's not a matter of style but of function.

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can tell you this...I'm changing clothing from what I used last year in Zim. Those Cabelas safari shirts are not my preference after using them!
The Long Grass "safari weight" shirts are very nice...soft, crisp-looking and not all crinkly like the Cabalas. Almost feel like a good synthetic! Big Grin

http://www.long-grass.com/safarishirts.htm

Not all the pictures on their website are true to color (I'm surprised they have not updated them, as they told me in Nov that they had new picts and sent one), but the Sage and Olive would be good choices.

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Guys,

Not based on anything scientific but I have found that all shirts eventually disintegrate on safari. They look fine but a litte left to right stretching and they just start to fall apart. I've lost 3 while hunting. Two synthetic and 1 cotton. I think the ironing is necessary so I'll just take an extra each time I'm not packing new stuff which is most of the time.

I've used several types of clothing but medium weight cotton is my first choice.

Mark

While my experience is limited, I think Mark's comments as to the disintegration of safari clothing is on point. I was amazed how hard the jesse was on my clothing. I took one what I will call a"semi-performance' shirt to Zim with me last November. It was no doubt comfortable and it did seem to "wick away / breath" perhaps a little better that the all-cotton shirts I took, but it took a beating in the jesse. Ultimately, I am just going to buy some middle of the road stuff(tag, long grass, etc) when I go back next year and leave it with the staff just as I did this year. They appreciate it tremendously and it is less I have to pack!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually Bill, your comments on those got me thinking (again) about alternatives to what I have been using. So I looked at those and will probably try them. Also, for shorts I have been looking at these from Mims...
http://www.huntersheadquarters.net/hunting_details.asp?...-Dura-Short&item=235

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 2 cents is a bit different than others.
I like the good stuff (high performance) for hunting here in the states----but in Africa I differ.

I take the worst clothing I got! I pack old t-shits, underwear and my old hikers(shoes). I do take one pair jeans and back-up very light weight hiking/walking shoes ----but other than that, I take worst stuff I got. If it looks like it might only survive two weeks of wear--it goes! Wink

At the end of the hunt, I give my old stuff to the trackers and skinners---boots clothes etc.. They really love it. I travel home with the clothes on my back and my jacket. It leaves my bags light weight and empty for any curios I might want to bring back.

Your not hunting in the Rockies, so don't need to be all dolled up for a prom Big Grin
just my thoughts

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
I found the Filson shirt was much better then my Cabelas one.

What I need to find is a good jacket. Something lightweight and packable yet can stop 40mph wind and keep me warm early in AM on the back of the truck. Rainproof would be a bonus.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quicshot is spot on. I shopped at Goodwill and thrft shops for used but good shirts and pants. My whole wardrobe was probably $25.00. Left almost everything there for the staff. I did wear heavy wool socks with a synthetic liner socks and had NO blisters in over two weeks in the bush! I will be doing the same on my next trip.
John

Posts: 155 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:

Most of my stuff is the loose fit stuff. I do have lots of compression gear too as it is awesome when you are layering.

One thing to keep in mind is the advantages of the compression shorts and shirts as a base layer. They were designed with sports in mind and I find that they even reduce injury and strains by keeping all your muscles and tendons in place. It is kind of like when you roll your ankle and put on one of those elastic ace bandages and it is amazing how much better your ankle feels. Compression shorts and shirts do the same thing for your body. Something to keep in mind during very physical activities.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quickshot:
My 2 cents is a bit different than others.
I like the good stuff (high performance) for hunting here in the states----but in Africa I differ.

I take the worst clothing I got! I pack old t-shits, underwear and my old hikers(shoes). I do take one pair jeans and back-up very light weight hiking/walking shoes ----but other than that, I take worst stuff I got. If it looks like it might only survive two weeks of wear--it goes! Wink

At the end of the hunt, I give my old stuff to the trackers and skinners---boots clothes etc.. They really love it. I travel home with the clothes on my back and my jacket. It leaves my bags light weight and empty for any curios I might want to bring back.

Your not hunting in the Rockies, so don't need to be all dolled up for a prom Big Grin
just my thoughts

That is a great point. I really like the safari shirts by Boyt but if they are going to get shreaded after one safari I'm not sure it is smart to spend $80 per shirt just to have them ruined.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Poplin, poplin, poplin...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Could not pay me to wear synthetics. Cotton in southern Africa is it. Few synthetics do the same cooling job and almost none are fire retardant. FYI. The army in Iraq has banned use of underarmor clothing on missions as it has melted into soldiers victims of IED blasts. Don't get too close to the fire if wearing fleece or underarmor!

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where I live can't be much different in climate from several African hunting areas.

I do like the new hi-tech fabrics - and 100 pct cotton is best.

The North Face, REI, Woolrich all have performance natural fabrics that work fine for me in this dry hot. I've tried many. Underarmor and similar synthetic fabrics are cool, but not as comfortable as cotton - they're better for fishing. Reason being, these synthetics are really inferior in the protection and studuryness areas if you hunt where there are thorns or poor footing.

My cotton clothes protect me better when I hunt the rocky, thorny and unfriendly outdoors of W. Texas. TNF rip-stop cotton is my current favorite pants for hot season hunting. Featherweight Filson LS shirts, also.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good point on being careful around the fire. A spark on the material would be a BAD thing.

Good point on the thorns also. I put on a shirt the other day that had gone to Africa. How did I know that? Because it had thorn holes in it! Not every place is like the Zambezi Valley but that place has some serious thorns in the jess. Not sure how the synthetics would do when they get hung up in that?