New
Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic clothes on safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my several trips in the bush I have always felt most comfortable in medium-thick cotton shirts. They were South African, and sold by Rogue footwear (just re-branded by them). really soft but hard wearing, rather likie my old (British) army shirts. I like natural fibres because somehow it seems more in tune with the bush.
Also sparks from the campfire can put little holes in synthetics.
I only wear wool singlets not synthetic - esp when hunting. Wool underwear is very popular here in New Zealand (no bloody central heating) and stands up to misuse very well. Warm when wet, soft and just right for a chilly evening.
Synthetics can also really pong after a surprisingly short time. It might be OK if everything is washed every day, but even if you are only out overnight.... yuk. Share a hut with people wearing wool and others wearing polypro. No contest!
I've mentioned this once before, but well washed local clothes can make you appear less "foreign" in a more crowded setting, which can help detract unwelcome attention.
And shorts - really short cotton rugby shorts! None of those half measure garments!!

Posts: 120 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 28 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wear "performance" tee shirts, to wick sweat, but everything else is heavy cotton......no fleece, in Africa it has to be abrasion resistant!

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullterrier, I'm familiar with Rogue shoes but not the shirts. Can you direct me to a website or more info?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YD - it's www.unbeatentracks.com - a UK based setup.
The shirts are £26 delivered in the UK - pretty good value, I reckon. The khaki is dark enough and the olive is light enough for the surroundings, if you know what I mean.
The guy does a pretty good range of Rogue boots and vellies, and it's all really cheap.
Rogue footwear is very broad - good for my feet. Its straightforward type stuff - not flash high performance gear, but I think it has its place. I have some vellies which I wear every summer, and have had them for 5 years now.

Posts: 120 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 28 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks BT. Wish I could see them in person. They sound nice. Just need to tear the sleeves off...Smiler

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
When Mountaineering or Alpine hunting, I always use a combo of wool and synthetic clothes but for Africa or hot areas of Australia ect I always use a combo of cotton and or wool.
Synthetics cause sweat rash on me and they stink if not washed.
Naturals like wool and cotton hold little oder and can be Ironed without to much fuss.
I don't like the idea of having the Tumbu fly larvae burrowing and living under my skin so I prefer the idea of neatly ironed cloths to the ruff look.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
About six months before my trip, I purchased a bunch of cheap cotton shirts and cargo pants in olive drab from Mark's Work Wearhouse. I wore them almost continuously before, during and after the trip. They just won't wear out, which is pretty good since I bought them as "throw-aways". I found them cool and comfortable in the summer, and warm in the winter. I thought they were about as good as you could get for Namibia.

Years ago, my cousin was caught in an auto vehicle accident and fire. She was wearing synthetic slacks and a wool sweater. She received third degree burns to her lower body, but her upper body survived relatively unscathed. Her doctors told her that her wool sweater had saved her life.

Planes and cars crash and burn. If I survive the impact, I would like to survive the fire as well. I keep my synthetic clothing to a minimum.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Early on when I mentioned synthetic, I was referring to undergarments, shorts, T-type shirts (UA Heat Gear) and socks thin and medium. Outer shirts and pants are normally cotton of somesort.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote