Find
Notify
Tools

PH shot by client
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted
Just heared from Andy Hunter that Dande PH Anthony Harland was shot accidentaly from behind by his client in the Zambezi valley. He is in hospital with one arm completely shattered. A big blow to Andy after looseing his best friend and mentor Owain Lewis just a few weeks ago.

Max

Posts: 215 | Location: colyfornnia | Registered: 13 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Really terrible news. Prayers for the Mr. Harland and the client, they will both need them.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Thoughts And best wish's to all involved. A nightmare event for everyone. Would Anthony be any relation to Richard Harland?

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rough year for Zim PH's. Sorry to hear this .

Posts: 12035 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My best wishes for a complete recovery for Mr. Harland. It looks like we are going to need another fund raiser. I would be real interested to know the details, especially the type of firearm and safety mechanism.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terrible news. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Posts: 41930 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accidental shootings are never pleasant to hear about. Hope he recovers well.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terrible thing to happen for all involved. I don't know the circumstances with this incident but I can absolutely see it happening. All the PH's I've hunted with want you locked, loaded safety on. With one up the spout there always is a chance of an AD. I carry my rifle now on my shoulder with a sling. I may not be able to get into action so fast but I'm not pointing the muzzle at anyone. With and other method of carry it is almost impossible to not at some point be pointing your rifle at someone sometime. This includes the African carry which may be the worst offender. Even some of the most experienced have killed people in their party with that method of carry.

Best wishes to Mr. Harland for a speedy and full recovery.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12943 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The type of rifle is of no matter and the only safety mechanism that counts is the guy holding the rifle.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The type of rifle is of no matter and the only safety mechanism that counts is the guy holding the rifle.

Plus One on that thought.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
thumb +1 for Mark's comments. Carry your rifle at sling arms! It is the safest method, period! This over the shoulder african carry is an accident waiting to happen. Sling arms is no slower than the african carry and actually faster for anyone with the slightest bit of training.

I do hope things turn out well for Mr. Harland.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anthony is a very talented hunter who we know quite well. He appied for Chifuti under Andrew Dawson and a nicer young man you will never meet. A promising career, long dreamed of and hard earned has now been taken by a careless client.
This is terrible news and I am just sick to the core. Every PH will confirm that the most dangerous thing in Africa is not a charging elephant or lion, but a careless client three feet behind you with an express rifle. Anthony VERY NEARLY lost his life due to blood loss, and only a quick response from blood donors prevented the ultimate tragedy. We are just crushed by this latest blow.Please pray for this fine young man.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Anthony from the High Caliber Radio Staff.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Good lord, terrible news.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Very bad. Hopefully he can recover completely. I wish him the best.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19341 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Every PH will confirm that the most dangerous thing in Africa is not a charging elephant or lion, but a careless client three feet behind you with an express rifle.

The second most dangerous thing can be the gov person behind you with the AK should things become dicey.

Best wishes to Anthony on his recovery.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear, not good at all.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Oh no....

So sorry to hear.

~Ann

Posts: 19327 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prayers for all involved and their families.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thoughts and prayers

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Prayers for the PH and family and others involved. Terrible news.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11035 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very bad news indeed. Prayers and wishes for a speedy and healthy recovery.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A promising career, long dreamed of and hard earned has now been taken by a careless client.

As long as the PH lives. there is hope. At one time yes, this would have been the end to a promising career, or would it? didn't Bwana Cottar come back from a severe Leopard mauling to hunt a few more years before the rhino got him? That was before modern medicine and medical techniques. If the PH survives, he may very well work his way to a point of being just as capable as he was pre-accident, but with some limitations.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Just terrible, especially so if careless gun handling was the cause. Anthony is lucky to be alive, and I wish him all the best for his recovery.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13522 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I understand that an amputation may have already been done to Anthony's wounded arm. I hope I am incorrect, but if not, the wound was truly traumatic and blood loss extensive. Again my sincere hopes for the best for Anthony.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Sad news, my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is indeed sad news! Let's not place blame without knowing exactly what happened. It is too early to blame African carry or a careles hunter. Maybe for once we can not jump to a conclusion!!!!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a bit of information.

It is apparently pretty bad. One of my friends was hunting with Peter Barnard was supposed to get a charter plane. Instead this plane was used to fly the PH to a hospital facility urgently. My friend was delayed needless to say.

Posts: 12035 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
There is such thing as an accidental discharge.

It's carelesness from either the gun builder or the person carrying the weapon.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1433 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Horrible horrible, I am so saddened to hear this. My best wishes for Anthony. I hope he keeps his arm and has a full recovery. This is the saddest thing that can happen on a hunting trip and is every hunter's and guide's nightmare.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4739 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I too understand that Mr. Harland had to have his arm amputated. I would love to find out that I am misinformed. Will remember him in my thoughts and prayers regardless. A real tragedy.

Mike

Posts: 21423 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FMC:Maybe but if the bullet hits a person the muzzle was obviously pointed at the person so I still say its negligence no matter what

Tragic news

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2853 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thoughts & prayers going out to all involved.

Posts: 115 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:

AMEN TO THAT!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13292 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what happened, will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. What a tough situation, thankfully he lived.

Posts: 3883 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Curious as to whether it was a magazine rifle or a double?? If it was a double, the typical over the shoulder carry method would give me pause for a client, except if it was the lead man, the PH. Maybe that is why Krieghoff developed the cocking mechanism for their doubles.

Anyway you consider this event, it is really a
tragedy. And a good reminder to watch the direction of the muzzle and not get careless even in the closing moments of the stalk.

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dakota45056:
Curious as to whether it was a magazine rifle or a double?? If it was a double, the typical over the shoulder carry method would give me pause for a client, except if it was the lead man, the PH. Maybe that is why Krieghoff developed the cocking mechanism for their doubles.

Anyway you consider this event, it is really a
tragedy. And a good reminder to watch the direction of the muzzle and not get careless even in the closing moments of the stalk.

Dak

There's no rifle double or otherwise that is safe to carry over the shoulder if the barrel/barrels are pointed at any momment at another person. No excuse for the African carry unless you're the one in front. Phil is absolutely right. The only safety that matters is the person carrying the gun.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
PS> I'm very sorry to hear this and wish him a speedy recovery.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just terrible, especially so if careless gun handling was the cause.

Unfortunately, that is obiviously the case. If the rifle is in your hands, the consequences of the bullet from that rifle is your responsibility.

I hope the report that Anthony has lost the arm are premature. My thoughts and prayers are with all those involved. I cannot imagine ...

Posts: 10153 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Huntingbigun
posted Hide Post
Prayers for him & his family, sad day

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Patron NRA
SCI

Posts: 9 | Location: Plant City, FL | Registered: 11 October 2011Reply With Quote