THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hunting Damara dik dik and Hartmann's Mountain Zebra

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Damara dik dik and Hartmann's Mountain Zebra
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted
I'm interested in a hunt for Damara dik dik and Hartmann's Mountain Zebra. Who would any of you recommend?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Greg Brownlee here and Westfalen Safaris. Slam dunk, great value on both...
Neat little hunt for Dik Dik and they have plentiful game of other Namibian variety at fantastic rates and quality

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
UEG,

We're on the same quest again. A probable safari in my future, too!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a cool hunt Vaughan!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I recently had a great hunt with Roy van der Merwe of Ojtandaue Safaris. http://otjandauehuntingsafaris.com/

I killed a nice mountain zebra and saw several Damara dik-diks during our 10 day hunt.

Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Give me a shout, I've got a great Namibian hunt that a ton of guys on AR have taken advantage of. Great free range hunt with a great family.

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:
Give me a shout, I've got a great Namibian hunt that a ton of guys on AR have taken advantage of. Great free range hunt with a great family.

Do this! Westfalen is a great outfit. Lots of game, great food, great people! I will be going back! And for a bit of shameless self-promotion...here's an article I wrote about the hunt.

http://www.predatorxtreme-digi...Set=27&contentItem=0

John

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Check out Leopard Legend Hunting Safaris. www.leopardlegend.com

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg: I'll give you a call in the next few days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I counted 22 Damara dik dik on Monday along the road outside of Outjo Namibia and you can find Hartmann's all over the place.

There are 15+ operators in the area who could help you out.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:

Do this! Westfalen is a great outfit. Lots of game, great food, great people! I will be going back! And for a bit of shameless self-promotion...here's an article I wrote about the hunt.

http://www.predatorxtreme-digi...Set=27&contentItem=0

John

John,

Great read and thank you very much for sharing!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the compliment. Westfalen is run by genuinely good people and you will have a great time there. Bring a belt with a bit of extra room in it though...because, as Greg can attest, Juliana Van Der Westhuizen will stuff you to the gills with her amazing food!

Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done that with Onduri Safaris. WONDERFUL hunt! I can't imagine any area (Outjo, Namibia, just south of Etosha park) having more of either species so lots to choose from on a big property. You will likely be the only hunter at the Boshoff's home and treated like one of the family. Be warned, you will be tempted by their other spectacular game!

Posts: 298 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 1BigDeer for the information.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
The team at the late Jan Oelofse Safaris have more Top 10 Damara Dik Dik in the Book than any others. I do NOT recommend Gunther Heimstadt if he is still hunting....he offers Top 10 Guaranteed....not one in the book!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2677 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Outjo to Otjiwarongo to Kalkfeld area is chocked full of Damara.

tu2

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the valuable info. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took both with Sebra Hunting Safaris. For me, Dik Dik was fairly easy, though we had to crawl through some real thorny brush. The zebra on the other hand was a lot of work. It may have been the drought and predator pressure during the time, but I definitely feel I earned that one. It took longer to get the zebra than the leopard!!

You will enjoy the Outjo area. I would highly recommend spot and stalk on the zebra. One of the most rewarding hunts I have done.

Posts: 62 | Location: USA / Temporarily South Korea | Registered: 18 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I too hunted with Sebra Hunting Safaris, twice actually. Got a beautiful zebra the first trip, but not enough room for a second zebra rug the second time. Saw dik diks but not one of my targeted species. I leave on June 22 for my third trip to Sebra. Hope to bag a spotted hyena, another big kudu, another warthog, and a blue wildebeest.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Dik Dik is really a fun little creature....and you will regret NOT taking one while you are there....especially after you get hooked and want the Tiny 10 or other collectible award...needing these little guys....requires surgical shooting with a small caliber....really fun!! Enjoy your next hunt and Good Luck on Biggens!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2677 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The dik dik is the last trophy needed to finish the tiny ten for me. I've also shot the grand slam of springbok, but I would like a nice big Kalahari ram, along with a Mountain Zebra. Just a fun and relaxing safari without a lot of pressure or time constraints. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I am hoping to finish (or come close to finishing) my tiny ten in RSA this coming year with a Red Duiker, Blue Duiker, Cape Grysbok, and Suni. I think I might be happy with two or three and then sort out the rest later.

I dare say that getting the Tiny 10 is just as logistically difficult (though certainly cheaper) as the Big 5. In fact, the Tiny 10 may be more difficult as we often seem to hear about guys getting at least 4 of the Big 5 on one 14 or 21 day hunt but it's tough to imagine a guy doing the same with the little ones.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
The dik dik is the last trophy needed to finish the tiny ten for me. I've also shot the grand slam of springbok, but I would like a nice big Kalahari ram, along with a Mountain Zebra. Just a fun and relaxing safari without a lot of pressure or time constraints. Big Grin

L'wyk's conservancy hunts at Leopard Legend Hunting Safaris have the biggest Kalahari springbok I've ever seen and there are loads of Hartman's zebra. He has plentiful dik dik back at his main farm. The conservancy has many other interesting desert dwellers including klipspringer, ostrich, lots of hyena, giraffe and several others. This huge free-range conservancy is a cool place to hunt.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tendrams: You need to contact Charl Van Rooyan of Infinito Safaris regarding your "bucket list" of the remaining tiny ten. He can tailor something for you to give you a chance at the remaining critters and you would most likely be hunting both the Natal and Eastern Cape Provinces for them. tu2 I shot my Red Duiker and the Livingstone's Suni in Natal and the Blue Duiker in the Eastern Cape, where you will also likely take your Cape Grysbok as well. What a fun hunt! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Add a vote for Jan Oelofse You would not be sorry

Posts: 121 | Location: Creswell Oregon | Registered: 13 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. tu2