New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to go for Sable
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As I continue to plan my first plains game trip to Africa, I have whittled down my must-have list to 3 animals.....Sable, Kudu and Gemsbok...in that order. I have other species on my hit list but my destination would be focused on these three. The rest would simply be filler.

Is it possible to hunt these three antelope in one location? as in free-range native habitat?
I have been strongly considering Namibia but I can't find that sable is indigenous to that country in general. maybe the furthest most nort eastern part?
Thoughts?

Posts: 82 | Location: DFW | Registered: 17 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Royal Kafue for Sable.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You Can certainly do Sable and Kudu free range in Zim.
I doubt there is anywhere free range that would include the gemsbok with the other 2..

Of course a game farm in Namibia it is possible

Posts: 47 | Location: Here and there ....... | Registered: 27 February 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
RHutch, I can help you with all 3 on one hunt, on 2 different free range areas in Namibia.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Looks as if you need to split this safari. If you want really big Kudu and Gemsbok I would consider Botswana but they have had to fence their game.

It would be possible to hunt both Namibia and Zimbabwe/Zambia but you would be looking at least 20 days including travel and the whole thing could end up being frantic or hurried.

I would advise over time two separate safaris at your own leisure and you get to see the best of two countries.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl S:
RHutch, I can help you with all 3 on one hunt, on 2 different free range areas in Namibia.

Sorry Karl we posted at the same time and I did not realise that this could all be done in Namibia.

Cheers

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Sorry Karl we posted at the same time and I did not realise that this could all be done in Namibia.

Cheers

No problem Andrew! Good advise nonetheless!

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cheers

Have you got a map of where Sable occur your side?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cheers

Have you got a map of where Sable occur your side?

I will try and upload a map for you, but most of the Caprivi strip, in and around the parks. Anyway in 2 of my 3 areas (used to be in third one up to the border war anyway), namely Bwabwata East and Sobbe.

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Andrew, this park holds exceptional sable. I hunt the Eastern part of it (from Chetto to the Kwando river).

Then, all the following conservancies have sable on them (I am not sure on quota, likely to be 1 a year like my own are Sobbe no 50).
Areas 17, 18, 19, 49, 50 and 58 (there is a new-ish area east of 58, called Bamunu, which I think may also have sable, but not sure...)

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coutada 9

No gemsbuck.

Posts: 1919 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No offense meant but Coutada 9 is a bad suggestion for what he is looking for.
The Gemsbuck alters the potential recommendations
1) If top quality free range Sable is the true priority then Zambia is the way to go (Kudu can be done anywhere)
2) Karl above could easily spend a couple of days and hammer gemsbuck and then sable elsewhere in Namibia
3) Tholo in Botswana could also do awesome kudu and gemsbuck and High fence sable

The real consideration is this. Do you want:

A)free range top quality Sable or is a good Sable in high fence just fine?
Answer...if Free Range, the answer is Zambia and if so Gemsbuck is pretty much off the table)
B) if Sable (your Stated top animal)is fine behind a high fence in a large area then you have many options in South Africa, Namibia, and Botswana

I’m hunting Tholo later this year and one of my friends with me is going to hunt all three of what you describe in very high quality

Karl gave a very unique example above that is a very good option in Namibia is fantastic areas. Zambia is unparalleled for the very best wild free range Sable..period... thus the above recommendations

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All good points. Sable is my #1 which is why I asked where to go. Now I need to determine if I am dead set on absolute free-range or concede to kill one on fenced acreage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RHutch. It's difficult to find these together because of their native habitat. Gemsbok die if there is too much moisture. They get ticks that infect their udders. You certainly can find all on fenced game farms. The only two places I know of that have wild populations of all three are the Waterberg in Namibia and maybe still BVC in Zimbabwe but I heard that the gemsbok in BVC was dying out. Certainly both have great sable and kudu. Ultimately like Karl and others suggested either go to two places or take two separate trips. It s fun to visit different areas!

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHutch:
All good points. Sable is my #1 which is why I asked where to go. Now I need to determine if I am dead set on absolute free-range or concede to kill one on fenced acreage.

All of the large Botswana estates had to fence in their indigenous populations these are not game farms as such. Elephant and Lion are frequent visitors. Personally I would hunt Kudu and Gemsbok here with the bushmen trackers. In addition you can hunt eland, red hartebeest and some plains game.

Obviously I will agree with the others that recommend Zambia and their is a host of other species here that may also be of interest.

Richard Bell Cross in Lunga Luswishi still has Sable (and Kudu) on license for this year.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Just to be clear, our sable in the Caprivi is totally free range...the only fence you may see is the 4 strand fence between Namibia and Botswana, or whats left of it after having had elephants migrating across it for decades...!

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Karl S would be a good choice to take all 3 without having to travel to more than one country.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

The Save' has good Sable!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:

But no Gemsbuck per his request.
Karl's suggestion is the only Free Range realistic option for all three (cost notwithstanding)
Zim is simply not as good as Zambia if Sable is your true #1 choice. The Kafue can easily product mid to high 40s

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHutch:
As I continue to plan my first plains game trip to Africa, I have whittled down my must-have list to 3 animals.....Sable, Kudu and Gemsbok...in that order. I have other species on my hit list but my destination would be focused on these three. The rest would simply be filler.

Is it possible to hunt these three antelope in one location? as in free-range native habitat?
I have been strongly considering Namibia but I can't find that sable is indigenous to that country in general. maybe the furthest most nort eastern part?
Thoughts?

My advice would be to pick your #1 which you said was sable and not worry about a list. Go and enjoy a great safari. Also the high fence or game farm thing is not a put and take in most cases in Africa. They are typically thousands of acres and the animals may live out their entire lives and never see the fence. Granted some of the hunting in SA can feel a bit "tame" but there are areas there that are as free range as anywhere.
And just to add another factor, I would not go to Africa without buffalo on the list, besides, it would probably give you an excuse to buy a new rifle.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
One thing to consider about two countries is getting the trophies home.

Because of expense, you are likely going to want to consolidate the shipment to US which means you need to ship one set of trophies to another country in Africa. While I am sure this is done on a regular basis, it will add cost and create another opportunity to experience the downside of African bureaucracy.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm saving buffalo for a later date on a trip with an old friend. I will buy a new rifle for that trip as I currently have no need for a big bore and don't have one.
Was planning on taking an '06 for this plainsgame trip which will smoke anything on my list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Gemsbok is not an absolute, the Niassa in northern Mozambique or some of the southern concessions in Tanzania have Roosevelt Sable, which are an interesting subspecies, albeit not quite as big.

I think some areas in SW Zimbabwe have Gemsbok as well, or at least I remember seeing them listed on one of my old Zim licenses.

That said, if big Sable is what your primary goal is, Zambia is the place. Angola used to be a place for huge sable, but I read somewhere that the Kafue area of Zambia has a lot of giant sable genes in their Sable.

Andrew is being a bit modest, as he has pulled some 50” Sable out in the last few years!

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
The problem with Tanz (unless they have changed?) is that for sable and kudu and the other glamour game they require a 21 day safari and that gets prohibitive for plains game.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As someone who wasted a tiny fortune trying to mix free range Sable with other species, I suggest you focus on Sable alone and take what comes as far as secondary species. There are LOTS of great options in Namibia where you can take Gemsbok and Kudu together. Make that a separate hunt or a second leg of a hunt before or after a Sable hunt.

A Sable will cost $10-15k depending on area. Make peace with that and go to a great Sable area or you’ll pay a “cheap” price several times with no Sable to show for it.

The Zambeze Delta Coutadas in Mozambique, and certain areas in Zambia are great Sable areas. Some of the Matetsi blocks and Lowveld conservancies in Zim were good but get recent confirmation as those areas are changing fast. I don’t know about Caprivi in Namibia.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have never seen more sable than I saw in Mozambique. But I have never been to Zambia.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
If Gemsbok is not an absolute, the Niassa in northern Mozambique or some of the southern concessions in Tanzania have Roosevelt Sable, which are an interesting subspecies, albeit not quite as big.

I think some areas in SW Zimbabwe have Gemsbok as well, or at least I remember seeing them listed on one of my old Zim licenses.

That said, if big Sable is what your primary goal is, Zambia is the place. Angola used to be a place for huge sable, but I read somewhere that the Kafue area of Zambia has a lot of giant sable genes in their Sable.

Andrew is being a bit modest, as he has pulled some 50” Sable out in the last few years!

Brother Butler DNA has identified that this is separate gene. There are a couple of contemporary photos of some truly monstrous Sable within the Kafue National Park.

Currently the biggest populations of Sable are found in the Mufunta, Mulobezi, Sichifulo, Kasonso and Lunga Luswishi concessions that surround the Park.

I always recommend that if the Sable is mature and looks to be around 40 inches then take him. As you have noted there are some who have been fortunate to have well exceeded that measurement.

If you can afford it hunt them where they are wild and in the presence of big game. Do not dismiss large fenced or partially fenced reserves as often they can boast indigenous populations and the fence is simply a demarkation or to keep others out.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Kafue has better.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Find an outfitter that can give you a hunt in the Caprivi for sable and then take you south for kudu and gemsbok. That way you get all three in one country, at least.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
quote:

But no Gemsbuck per his request.
Karl's suggestion is the only Free Range realistic option for all three (cost notwithstanding)
Zim is simply not as good as Zambia if Sable is your true #1 choice. The Kafue can easily product mid to high 40s

Fairgame- Man what a beautiful Sable! Thierry Labat put me about 25 yards from this one and we decided there could be a better one just around the corner. Labat is a real hunter. Try getting that close to a Sable and have him not know you are there.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The Kafue has better.

I was thinking the same thing and waiting for you to post something like that.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

If budget was not much of a consideration I'd recommend the Kafue area in Zambia every time. If budget is a consideration the Matetsi units and Forestry concessions in Zim can still produce a big sable such as the one pictured.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:

If budget was not much of a consideration I'd recommend the Kafue area in Zambia every time. If budget is a consideration the Matetsi units and Forestry concessions in Zim can still produce a big sable such as the one pictured.

Mark

Mark thats a great free range Sable and post a big one that taken last year.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mark

Mark thats a great free range Sable and post a big one that taken last year.

Wow what area/GMA?

Posts: 1919 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Sorry for the posing quality but this is completely possible in the best Kafue blocks.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry for the posing quality but this is completely possible in the best Kafue blocks.

Mark

Sichufulo?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mark

Sichufulo?

Yes Andrew 2016 , 48.5”.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brother Baldry speaks the truth about oversized Sable in the kafue region of Zambia. For personal taste I find length to be only one factor in determining a quality Sable as true giants also have mass. I’ve never seen or heard of giant Sable coming out on Namibia but perhaps brother Karl has some fine pictures illustrating the Sable quality in his region? Either way good luck in your adventure!!

Posts: 625 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I know DNA shows an absence of giant sable genes in the Kafue, but I find the different facial markings on sable from there and Zimbabwe's Matetsi to be interesting. I shot sable in both areas in the 1980s and early 1990s, when prices still were reasonable, and my Zambian sable had markings that usually are attributed to giant sable.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote