THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Have you had a PH that went above and beyond what was expected?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you had a PH that went above and beyond what was expected?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In 2010 my Botswana PH, Gareth Flemix, was undergoing a nasty divorce. I never would have guessed it. His performance was exemplary in every way...always teaching about tracking, ele behavior, bullet placement, etc. without being condescending. Always a gentleman and very cool under pressure. Looking at his facebook page, I don't think he is hunting anymore and that is our loss.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Barry Long when I was at Blaauwkrantz. He was an absolute straight shooter from the introduction. I remember our first conversation. He said something like I don't hunt anything young and immature, I want old species. If you don't agree I am not your man. I smiled and away we went. Had a tremendous safari. I was without ALL of my gear for 8 of 10 days and he made the most of it and we never missed a beat.

Jason Bridger was just opening up Kanana when I hunted there and considering all the stress he was dealing with it never for one second affected our safari. Had a tremendous trip and look forward to hunting with him at Tholo Safaris this July.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on what you expect of them.

How about a PH who hunts hard without complaint even though the client is a picky bastard who passes on over 20 quality Nyala and doesn't shoot his first game animal until day 5 of an 8 day plains game hunt?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I could give at least half dozen examples of how Buzz Charlton has "made a plan" and as a consequence he has taken what could have been a negative safari experience and made it a memorable experience. I am extremely appreciative of his efforts and value our friendship.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I could give at least half dozen examples of how Buzz Charlton has "made a plan" and as a consequence he has taken what could have been a negative safari experience and made it a memorable experience. I am extremely appreciative of his efforts and value our friendship.

Ditto for Mike Payne of Save Safaris for me.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Adam Parkinson was superb when I hunted with him in CAR.

Bruce Martin in Uganda was also wonderful.

Of course, my "First African Hunt" was also off the charts with Tinus van Heerden.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johan Hermann does it every time. He always manages to pull several rabbits out of his hat.

But don't tell him I gave him any credit Wink

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post

My friend Nigel Theisen. We met well over a decade ago and have shared countless good times.

He always goes above and beyond.

Orphan calf at Blondie's house in Bubye.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As someone has already stated, it depends on one's definition of excellence.

I've only been on 7 safaris so far.

To me, finding an honorable man is the key to the best hunt possible.

Sadly, honorable men are harder to find today in any corner of life.

My 8th hunt will be with the man that I did safari # 6 & 7.

He is a person I consider a man of honor: Andrew Baldry of Royal Kafue Safaris in Zambia.

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:

He is a person I consider a man of honor: Andrew Baldry of Royal Kafue Safaris in Zambia.

Andrew Baldry, Leon Kachelhoffer, Mr. and Mrs. Surefire and Mr. and Mrs. 218 Bee all worked together to turn a potential disaster in 2015 in to a fine safari on Royal Kafue. I still appreciate everybody's efforts on that hunt.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

Ditto for Mike Payne of Save Safaris for me.

Agreed on both these guys. Mike saved our last safari with the cock up of the permits they had a few years back in the Save. Now finally getting back around to see the Save and will be back with them in a couple weeks.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
absolutely - stewart finlay cooper in zambia

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First I'd like to say I think every PH I've hunted with has worked hard and that includes the two I had issues with. only one in retrospect, looking back 20 years might have been a little lazy in that he was not too fussy about what we shot but we had a good safari. In later years the PHs that stand out for me and who have done a great job for me and my clients are Neil Duckworth/Mokore Safaris and Johnny Du Plooy/Muchinga Adventures. Both of these guys are driven but with completely different styles. There also was a PH I hunted with in RSA named Armand Aucamp or Arms for short. He hunts with Crusader Safaris and probably was the most knowledgeable PH I've ever been with about his little corner of the world and it's animals. Nobody could of worked harder to make our safari a success and the effort he put out in trying to retrieve the caracal I had wounded was extraordinary. These guys are all exceptional.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been one lucky SOB

Fred Bezuidenhout in Namibia was outstanding.
Chappy Esterhuizen in Zim was fantastic. Had a great time.
Johan Hermann in SA is a hunter's hunter.

All excellent and would recommend them to anyone.

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
TWO THUMBS UP for NIGEL THEISEN. Not only a great PH......but of the 'old school', where a man's word and a handshake can be trusted! Absolutely honorable, and supports the other PH's in the industry.
He is who I will trust my second set of grandbabies with. In fact - when my family was there last year for an extended time, NOT HUNTING, mind you......He took my grandchildren through the game preserves, and places like Chamabondo (places you have probably never heard of) in his own cruiser and own nickel!
He is the BEST! He is my Friend.

Posts: 505 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All 3 of my PHs were outstanding individuals who worked hard to get me my trophies.

Abbie Steyn

Kirk Mason

Lin Stanton

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the good, the bad and the ugly. I won't comment on who was the latter! Just kidding.

I have had some really good PHs. Collen van der Linden is the PH that I have hunted with the most ( 6 times). He is a true gentleman and his hunting skill are outstanding.

The one thing that Collen did that , at least in my book, went above and beyond was out 3rd hunt together. His wife had just had their second child. She was having problems. As I recall, post partum eclampsia. She was still in the hospital. This is fairly serious especially in a place like Zimbabwe. Collen went on the safari anyway. I told him to go back to Harare. He insisted on continuing with the safari.

Above & beyond? Hell yes!

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Thierry Labat.

Over 6 hunts in two countries, he's exceeded expectations and provided exemplary service every time.

I can't imagine hunting with any other PH and probably won't.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Great thread - taking notes.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
John Sharp for me. Hunted only twice with him, but I'll not choose another, at least not in Zim.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
What is "above and beyond" defined as?
I've had many good hunts with good PHs (and a few cockups, too). The PHs and the staff did what was expected: laundry, good skills in the bush, getting me the game I sought, good meals, followed the agreement and/or contract, etc.
So what would be defined as going beyond expectations?
Saving one's life from a charging elephant? That is expected.
A good followup to make sure trophies make it out of the country and properly dipped and packed? That is expected also.
Come as a client and leave as a friend?
Any work or time outside the contract? If at no charge, maybe. If charged and paid for, no.
Just wondering, fellas.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Con Van Wyk

Posts: 1919 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will back up FishN4Eyes. Thierry Labat is top notch and will go above and beyond.
I will only hunt with Thierry.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I've had many good hunts with good PHs (and a few cockups, too). The PHs and the staff did what was expected: laundry, good skills in the bush, getting me the game I sought, good meals, followed the agreement and/or contract, etc.
A good followup to make sure trophies make it out of the country and properly dipped and packed? That is expected also.
Any work or time outside the contract? If at no charge, maybe. If charged and paid for, no.
Just wondering, fellas.
Cheers,
Cal

I agree with you, Cal. I started this after some (including me) complained about a PH or safari company that had not met expectations. A more accurate title would have been "Do you have a PH you have been very happy with".

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
Con Van Wyk

I will second that.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just wondering, fellas.
Cheers,
Cal

ok Cal - how about a PH who personally picks you up at the airport, takes you back to his home, feeds you, provides a place to stay at his home, takes you trout fishing and tigerfish fishing, drives you to and from the hunt, has gun cases made from some of your hides - all for no charge - I could go on, but I think you get the point. I feel sorry for you if you have not personally experienced some of these things.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:
Just wondering, fellas.
Cheers,
Cal

ok Cal - how about a PH who personally picks you up at the airport, takes you back to his home, feeds you, provides a place to stay at his home, takes you trout fishing and tigerfish fishing, drives you to and from the hunt, has gun cases made from some of your hides - all for no charge - I could go on, but I think you get the point. I feel sorry for you if you have not personally experienced some of these things.

That weasel Mike Payne dancing

I think Leon DuPlessis getting shot by a client in a ad and still insuring the client finished his safari with another ph probably takes award for above and beyond in ph service.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only three safaris so far. 2011 with Pete Barnard. Hard worker, competent, and a practical joker. 2015-elephant with Rich Tabor. Shot my bull on day 13 of a 14 day hunt while Rich was fighting malaria big time. Was so impressed that in 2016 in the Save I told the operator I hunted with Rich and his team or I wasn't coming. Just my $.02.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 488 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Sharp will make u the luckiest hunter ever. Above and beyond is every day for John not only great PH but the best company around.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Danny Moore from Rungwa Game Safaris in Tanzania. Best PH I ever had. We hunted Masaailand on August, had a pretty scary situation with a crappy shot on one of those ninja buff. He never lost his nerves and did not fire a shot on the buffalo when he saw it bedded down before anyone else. He indicated the position to the client (my father) to finish the buffalo. We were after big buffalo and worked our asses off for the whole safari looking for the buffalo of our dreams. It was not easy, but we ended up taking a wonderful old boy on the last day with a 44.5" spread. Truly a perfect PH.

Posts: 29 | Location: Hunting Grounds | Registered: 09 February 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Dave:
You are a lucky man.
I've had PHs do much for me but usually it is at a price. That is not in itself a bad thing. Since 1994 I have many good and some great memories and I keep going back. Even the poor experiences had a silver lining in the black cloud. See the thread on bad hunts.
Cheers, mate.
Cal
PS. Any word on your double import?

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Read our hunt reports and I sense you will find we have been happy hunting with the different PH's. Each, to some degree, went "beyond the call".

Johnny dePloy put a .22 in Joyce's hands, Doves died, and a huntress was created.

Andrew Baldry, what can I say. We have encouraged many people to hunt with him since.

Buzz, gave us the hospitality of his home and shared his "girls" with us.

Derek Littleton backed Joyce with regular encouragement from the time of her diagnosis. He refused to keep our deposits at a time when we were unsure if Joyce would be around to later hunt. He arranged dates so we could hunt earlier than most to coordinate with the timing at the end of the hunt with Buzz. He literally gave us a free week with the option to hang in the bush in Niassa or a beach front cottage on the Indian Ocean.

We've been lucky!!

Cheers
Jim & Joyce

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A different tack on what was above and beyond. I hunted Lemco many years ago with Wayne Williamson and had a great hunt including lion and buffalo. However two of my favorite memories of the hunt are as follows:

First, while shooting lion bait Wayne continually urged me to shoot a giraffe for bait. Lots of bait. I kept declining but for some time never told him why. Finally after many times asking I finally said "here's the deal...my mother is dying from ALS and she absolutely loves giraffes. If she ever found out i shot one she would be devastated." Several days later while driving through Lemco he suddenly stopped the vehicle and excitedly told me to get my video camera and start shooting video of a group of nearby giraffes. As I complied, I could hear Wayne saying "This is for you, mum"

Second, on the drive back to camp one night it was the night that the planet Mars, or the moon, or some other celestial body was as close to the earth as it would be for another century or some such thing. Again the land cruiser came to a halt in the middle of the two track and as we got out of the vehicle he said "Ive just got to see if I can make the guys understand". We stood there in the middle of the bush as he called all of the trackers out of the back of the car, pointed to the sky and the conversation went like this

Wayne: "Do you see that light in the sky?"
Trackers (in unison): "Yes boss"
Wayne: "Tonight that light is as close to us as it will ever be!"
Trackers: "Yes boss"
Wayne: "Do you understand that this will never happen again"

We got back in to drive home and he looked at me and said "I really wanted them to understand"

A class act and things like that make a great hunt more memorable to me

Posts: 10 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaleS:
A different tack on what was above and beyond. I hunted Lemco many years ago with Wayne Williamson and had a great hunt including lion and buffalo. However two of my favorite memories of the hunt are as follows:

First, while shooting lion bait Wayne continually urged me to shoot a giraffe for bait. Lots of bait. I kept declining but for some time never told him why. Finally after many times asking I finally said "here's the deal...my mother is dying from ALS and she absolutely loves giraffes. If she ever found out i shot one she would be devastated." Several days later while driving through Lemco he suddenly stopped the vehicle and excitedly told me to get my video camera and start shooting video of a group of nearby giraffes. As I complied, I could hear Wayne saying "This is for you, mum"

Second, on the drive back to camp one night it was the night that the planet Mars, or the moon, or some other celestial body was as close to the earth as it would be for another century or some such thing. Again the land cruiser came to a halt in the middle of the two track and as we got out of the vehicle he said "Ive just got to see if I can make the guys understand". We stood there in the middle of the bush as he called all of the trackers out of the back of the car, pointed to the sky and the conversation went like this

We got back in to drive home and he looked at me and said "I really wanted them to understand"

Great vignettes, thanks for sharing. Sounds like a wonderful PH to hunt with.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
In 2014 my wife and I had a wonderful PH..... Jeremy Sheepers

Looking back we can't believe how lucky we were. He was a perfect gentleman towards my wife and great guide for our two week stay.

He was perfect.

Sadly I would bet that there is a larger populous of
demanding/overly demanding clients then there are PH's that will routinely go over and beyond.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's good stuff and to me what matters.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah man, great stuff. A little empathy, a little philosophy, all good stuff.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7kongoni:
quote:
Just wondering, fellas.
Cheers,
Cal

I agree with you, Cal. I started this after some (including me) complained about a PH or safari company that had not met expectations. A more accurate title would have been "Do you have a PH you have been very happy with.

In that context I have been very happy with each of the PH's with whom I have hunted. Martin Pieters, Neil Duckworth, Shaun Buffee, Lindon Stanton, Zayne van der Merwe among the others I mentioned in a previous post. By far the worse PH I had was me on my self guided hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trust!!!!..... to have my back under all the situations Im not familiar with or don't know how to handle immediately or safely.

That is my "biggie" and the only reason I hunt with the same PH more than once. They've proven I can "trust " them. The first safari with an unknown PH is a "cr//" shoot I expect.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:

Andrew Baldry, Leon Kachelhoffer, Mr. and Mrs. Surefire and Mr. and Mrs. 218 Bee all worked together to turn a potential disaster in 2015 in to a fine safari on Royal Kafue. I still appreciate everybody's efforts on that hunt.

The expertise to make your hunt possible was certainly provided by the professionals, Andrew and Leon. But it was our pleasure to have you share our camp and our hunts together Mike. Hope to cross paths with you again some day. Good hunting to you.

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote