Find
Notify
Tools

3 x 10 days...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted
As some of you may know, one of my passions is and has been cycling. The past five years has had me training at a great rate and hasn't really allowed me to spend as much time hunting as I would like.

The time on my bike has gone down due to an injury and being 55, I need to get back hunting some more.

So, point to this thread is, next calendar year, I am planning 30 days (-+) in Africa. It will entail 3 very separate Safaris. It could be 3 x 10 or any other derivative of the sum, but you get the point.

One already planned is 10 days with the duPlooy's in Chifunda, always wanted to see it when PJ was hunting it. Spent lots of time in Nyaminga right next door.

So, what say the forum? what would you do with the two remaining time blocks?

Regards,

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3529 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
It would depend upon your choice of hunting; DG or PG, but on an exotic style of hunt, Mozambique with Kambako then onto Uganda (barring no out break of hostilities etc.) with Christian Weth. Buffalo or a variety of interesting game. The Caprivi with Ndumo/Karl would be top choice for Elephant or Buffalo. Dream hunt no matter where you wind up.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given your past expeience, I would try and hunt Ethiopia for mountain nyala if you have not done that. If you have, then the desert areas. I think that it requires more than 10 days though.

I also understand that Chad is open now. Western Kudu and maybe some gazelle hunting there would be a new hunt to try.

Uganda would also be neat in the Karamoja.

You will like Chufunda. Beautiful camp, and lots of game there.

Posts: 10989 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Liberia, Congo, Ethiopia, Sudan, Ghana are interesting countries the offers hunting. I have seen Congo and Ethiopia for a short time and both are real Africa! Sudan and Nubian Ibex but its unsteady in the country and it has been a halt on the hunting there for a few years but I suppose everything is possible if you want it enough Smiler

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Given your past expeience, I would try and hunt Ethiopia for mountain nyala if you have not done that. If you have, then the desert areas. I think that it requires more than 10 days though.

I also understand that Chad is open now. Western Kudu and maybe some gazelle hunting there would be a new hunt to try.

Uganda would also be neat in the Karamoja.

You will like Chufunda. Beautiful camp, and lots of game there.

I actually had a Safari Book with Nassos Rousos in 2012, full deal. That was when the TF's TRIPLED. It made a Safari go from marginally affordable to not interested. IIRC, the TF's alone went UP by 25K

Mike Fell talked to me a bunch about his time hunting Chad. He said it was super interesting but the un-stable nature drove him out.

Still want to go there though.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3529 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
Liberia, Congo, Ethiopia, Sudan, Ghana are interesting countries the offers hunting. I have seen Congo and Ethiopia for a short time and both are real Africa! Sudan and Nubian Ibex but its unsteady in the country and it has been a halt on the hunting there for a few years but I suppose everything is possible if you want it enough Smiler

I have been communicating with Christophe Morio about forest Sitatunga and Bongo, tracking without dogs (I think) He is going to Congo to check things out. That may very well be where I go.

As an aside, Christophe is the real deal. This man knows this environment, both savannah and forest. He loves to walk and gives a willing client a completely unique and authentic Safari.

Spend a lot of time with him in CAR. Didn't hunt with him, I was suppose to but it got changed, like so many things on a Safari.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
As some of you may know, one of my passions is and has been cycling. The past five years has had me training at a great rate and hasn't really allowed me to spend as much time hunting as I would like.

The time on my bike has gone down due to an injury and being 55, I need to get back hunting some more.

So, point to this thread is, next calendar year, I am planning 30 days (-+) in Africa. It will entail 3 very separate Safaris. It could be 3 x 10 or any other derivative of the sum, but you get the point.

One already planned is 10 days with the duPlooy's in Chifunda, always wanted to see it when PJ was hunting it. Spent lots of time in Nyaminga right next door.

So, what say the forum? what would you do with the two remaining time blocks?

Regards,

Steve

Time in the Niassa Reserve, regardless of the quarry. Personally, I would spend that time with Derek Littleton in Block L7.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always wanted to hunt elephant in the Caprivi, dwarf buffalo in West Africa and Nile buffalo in Uganda. So much to choose from.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Forest buffalo in the Republic of Congo on a walk in safaris with porters. I am doing this hunt in 2016.

East African tented safari for Nile Buffalo in Ugunda.

10 days chasing trophy elephant on Coutada 9 fly camping the entire hunt with either Gary or Neil Duckworth.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
What kind of injury has had you laid up?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forest elephant. That would be unique.

Hey, I was in Phoenix this week briefly on business. I was going to call you but my clients were running me ragged. Would have been great to catch up.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

April 2017.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
What kind of injury has had you laid up?

Hi Ted,

It is a relatively uncommon cycling injury called Pudendal Neuralgia. This nerve runs right along the crack of your ass on both sides. Obviously not in a good place for a competitive cyclist.

It is caused by overuse.

Hoping to heal naturally. I've missed one big event, Trans Portugal. It was a 8 day stage race across the entire country of Portugal. I have another biggy in August called the Tour Divide. The longest mountain bike race in the world. theres a small outside chance I can make it but very, small. 2711 miles, all off road.

I've been trail running to keep my fitness. Now, my hips are sore all the time.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hey, I was in Phoenix this week briefly on business. I was going to call you but my clients were running me ragged. Would have been great to catch up.

That would have been awesome Larry. Too bad you were so busy.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of ChristopheMorio
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Why don't you consider Benin.
10 days is just great, enough time to get some nice animals (especially buffalo by calling)and to enjoy this part of Africa.

Christophe

Posts: 205 | Location: France | Registered: 23 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Steve,

The likes of Chifunda is currently one of Africa's richest game regions and good first choice. Do the hunt in June and it is refreshingly cool. Maybe request a fly camp in the back country?

Many have suggest an old style tented safari for Nile Buffalo in Uganda. This is a hunt of story books and reeks of tradition.

Hunting Sitatunga in dank far away places also sounds attractive. To some.

These pursuits are classic endeavours and beyond the means of many here. You are fortunate to be able to afford them and go whilst you are strong and fit.

Take some photographs and keep some notes. Share them with those who are interested.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChristopheMorio:
Steve,

10 days is just great, enough time to get some nice animals (especially buffalo by calling)and to enjoy this part of Africa.

Christophe

Hi Christophe,

Both Buffalo I shot with Mike in CAR were called. It is truly a unique and fun way to hunt Buffalo. Benin would be on my short list for sure. Is there a link you might share with me on what a 10 day package might look like.

Also what are the optimum hunting months as to making traveling between trips in other countries run smoothly.

Regards,

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Steve,

The likes of Chifunda is currently one of Africa's richest game regions and good first choice. Do the hunt in June and it is refreshingly cool. Maybe request a fly camp in the back country?

Many have suggest an old style tented safari for Nile Buffalo in Uganda. This is a hunt of story books and reeks of tradition.

These pursuits are classic endeavours and beyond the means of many here. You are fortunate to be able to afford them and go whilst you are strong and fit.

Take some photographs and keep some notes. Share them with those who are interested.

Hi Andrew.

We have talked in the past about spending some time deep into the watery haunt of the Sitatunga. The general in-accessability of their preferred homes might reward the determined few with that special trophy?

In my mind, The Sitatunga is the pinnacle of the Spiral Horns. I put them ahead of both Bongo and LDE. They aren't as handsome as either but the purity of pursuit required to hunt them is totally unique.

You had mention years ago there was a far-away, little travelled papyrus swamp somewhere, un-hunted. Perhaps a place such as that might hold that Kudu horned Sitatunga bull?

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Steve,

Hi Andrew.

We have talked in the past about spending some time deep into the watery haunt of the Sitatunga. The general in-accessability of their preferred homes might reward the determined few with that special trophy?

In my mind, The Sitatunga is the pinnacle of the Spiral Horns. I put them ahead of both Bongo and LDE. They aren't as handsome as either but the purity of pursuit required to hunt them is totally unique.

You had mention years ago there was a far-away, little travelled papyrus swamp somewhere, un-hunted. Perhaps a place such as that might hold that Kudu horned Sitatunga bull?

There are many swamps across from me. There is also another area that is totally unexplored mate and combines the muddled confluences of the Kafue and Luswishi that create the broken waterways of the Lukanga swamp system.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Steve,

Hi Andrew.

There are many swamps across from me. There is also another area that is totally unexplored mate and combines the muddled confluences of the Kafue and Luswishi that create the broken waterways of the Lukanga swamp system.

Sounds interesting. Perhaps we could hire Patson to be our guide? Remember Patson? Big Grin

Funny stuff.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of ChristopheMorio
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I have sent you an email with details for Benin.
Christophe

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ChristopheMorio:
Steve,

Christophe

Hi Christophe,

Both Buffalo I shot with Mike in CAR were called. It is truly a unique and fun way to hunt Buffalo. Benin would be on my short list for sure. Is there a link you might share with me on what a 10 day package might look like.

Also what are the optimum hunting months as to making traveling between trips in other countries run smoothly.

Regards,

Steve

Posts: 205 | Location: France | Registered: 23 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
- east african sitatunga & pg in Uganda
- forest elephant or dwarf buffalo in Cameroon
- roan and 2 west african buffalo in Burkina or Benin
- pg in coutada 9
- buffalo and pg/ pigmy antelopes coutada 11
- mountain buffalo in Masailand
- small cats and specialty animals (serval, caracal,bush pig,brown hyena,aardvark,jackal) in South Africa
- nile buffalo & pg in uganda

Posts: 531 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
One hunt that I hoping to do this year is one man's pursuit of a really big croc. We did the upper Kafue river last year to no avail and if all goes well on Leopard then we will be fly camping along the oily backwaters of the Lunga river and here there be dragons.

You have to have all your wits about you to bag a dinosaur and an old croc can be extremely wary. What I like about croc hunting is the expectancy and you never really know what lies beneath the surface.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 2017 hunting schedule is beginning to take shape. I'm having a bit of a struggle to get from Tanzania to Lusaka within the dates I need, but so far it looks like 10 Days in Chifunda with Johnny duPlooy, if I can make the dates work.

Either before or after, depending, 16 days in M'barangandu with Mark Sullivan. Wink

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Still one of the funniest things I've seen posted o AR. Thanks for the laugh Larry.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Steve. I am sure you will have fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congrats Steve. I am sure you will have fun.

Thanks Larry.

I didn't even have to sign an NDA agreement. Wink

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Wish I was goin'.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Steve........ no baiting allowed. LOL

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:

Is it really that obvious? Big Grin

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:

Is it really that obvious? Big Grin

Duh!!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Steve:
Got a place open? Maybe I can go without food and sell some of my insulin to afford to go. Selling a double rifle is out of the question.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal
Cheerleaders can Go for free.... dancing

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Want to borrow my pellet gun or my 22 Steve? You might need it to shoot some bulls in the balls. People say Mark does that.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Want to borrow my pellet gun or my 22 Steve? You might need it to shoot some bulls in the balls. People say Mark does that.

I thought Steve had a Daisy Red Ryder.

One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
Hey Steve…you are going to have a great time in M'barangandu! As you know, you can expect fabulous hunting with Mark as your tour guide. Wish I could join you both in 2017. Unfortunately, my schedule wont allow. I am however booked with Mark in 2018. Make sure you leave a couple old large buffalo for me and Mark to find after you leave. Be sure to email me a few pictures when you get back. I would love to see them.

Best always,
Shawn

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Forest elephant
Bar none

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Forest elephant
Bar none

Probably an awesome adventure. I would/will never hunt an animal I can't bring home.

I hunted 21 days in CAR in 2012, never saw one single Elephant. Only saw one set of tracks, they were being followed by humans. sad dealio for the Elephants there.

Formerly "Nganga"