Notify
Tools

Capstick was a fraud.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
We all find our own personal reasons to tear those down that for whatever reason, we have developed a personal hatred for.

As many on here have stated, fraud, charlatan, outright liar, he probably or actually did generate more interest in doing an African Safari than anyone else ever had or did.

So for that reason he gets a pass on being a phony?

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Shows how far this Forum has fallen that some are still debating a thread started in 2008. Sad, just plain old sad....

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Shows how far this Forum has fallen that some are still debating a thread started in 2008. Sad, just plain old sad....

All one has to do is look at who resurrected it!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68628 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
So for that reason he gets a pass on being a phony?

Not at all, it merely shows the childishness of those that simply can't move on with their lives!!!!!

I don't view Capstick as anything more or less than someone that was able to sell himself, and whose fault was that, his or those that bought into his line of bsflag

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When you go back and read all of Capstick’s books you’ll notice only a small percentage are his stories/adventures. Most of the content is on African history, game/gear and historical figures. My take is the “Me and Silent” stories are simply composites and stories of the bush that a hundred other PH’s have taken credit for over the years. Capstick collected these stories and originally published most of them in Pulp magazines of the early 70’s and later into his early books. PHC probably never anticipated a resurgence and popularity in the safari industry that would have people analyzing his words like they were the gospel.

Capstick was a PH, at least in some capacity, for a few years according to the writings of Ian Manning, Geoff Broom and others. I have no idea what the requirements for a PH were in Southern Africa in the late 60’s and early 70’s. It may have been from knowing the right people or simply paying the license fee at the local government office; and actually, anyone with a even a moderate amount of hunting experience could function passably as a PH in the modern safari world once they learned the topography of the concession and hired some decent trackers. I never really understood why some people hold someone with the job title as PH up to a mythic status that few could obtain.

I never felt the need to put Capstick up on a pedestal to be defended, or to ridicule his writings in an attempt to tear him down. He was simply a dude traveling through life like the rest of us who found his niche writing entertaining books that still continue to sell well today and inspire others to hunt Africa.

Posts: 15 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: 26 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never felt the need to put Capstick up on a pedestal to be defended, or to ridicule his writings in an attempt to tear him down. He was simply a dude traveling through life like the rest of us who found his niche writing entertaining books that still continue to sell well today and inspire others to hunt Africa.

Nicely said......

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:

All one has to do is look at who resurrected it!

Yep, this is as absurd as a "who killed JFK" or the "9/11 Towers was an inside job" nonsense...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give the guy a break, he was a great story teller and like many have stated he got people interested again in going on Safari. Did he bullshit, of course, who hunts that doesn't?

Better topic would be the absolute trash that some of the Weatherby Award winners were.

Posts: 205 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmkyMtn:
When you go back and read all of Capstick’s books you’ll notice only a small percentage are his stories/adventures. Most of the content is on African history, game/gear and historical figures. My take is the “Me and Silent” stories are simply composites and stories of the bush that a hundred other PH’s have taken credit for over the years. Capstick collected these stories and originally published most of them in Pulp magazines of the early 70’s and later into his early books. PHC probably never anticipated a resurgence and popularity in the safari industry that would have people analyzing his words like they were the gospel.

Capstick was a PH, at least in some capacity, for a few years according to the writings of Ian Manning, Geoff Broom and others. I have no idea what the requirements for a PH were in Southern Africa in the late 60’s and early 70’s. It may have been from knowing the right people or simply paying the license fee at the local government office; and actually, anyone with a even a moderate amount of hunting experience could function passably as a PH in the modern safari world once they learned the topography of the concession and hired some decent trackers. I never really understood why some people hold someone with the job title as PH up to a mythic status that few could obtain.

.....................................................................Well said!

My take is most of his critics are simply jealous of his good fortune to spend most of his adult life in Africa. I certainly would love to have had that opportunity myself!

I say if you don't like his books don't buy them. if you do enjoy them for what they are, and think what you want!
...................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My take is most of his critics are simply jealous of his good fortune to spend most of his adult life in Africa. I certainly would love to have had that opportunity myself!

I say if you don't like his books don't buy them. if you do enjoy them for what they are, and think what you want!

Lot more truth to your assessment than TOO many folks want to admit to! Good post Sir. tu2 beer

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always thought that Frued might have needed Chapstick.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
No one is beating up on a dead guy, just the gullable folks that actally take what is going on seriously.

Seems you forgot this wasn't to be taken seriously. Cool (from 2011)

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems you forgot this wasn't to be taken seriously.

I haven't forgot anything Steve, the stir pissers are funny, but that does not mean I can't have a little respect for Capstick and his effect on getting folks interested in going to Africa for a hunt.

I mean, aren't ALL of Us Legends In Our Own Minds?????????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Seems you forgot this wasn't to be taken seriously.

I haven't forgot anything Steve, the stir pissers are funny, but that does not mean I can't have a little respect for Capstick and his effect on getting folks interested in going to Africa for a hunt.

I mean, aren't ALL of Us Legends In Our Own Minds?????????

tu2

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3523 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May PHC RIP.
I loved reading his books & took quite a bit of it with a grain of salt.
Don't know whether he was a good PH or not, but would have loved sharing sundowners with him.
The dead are always easy targets.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
May PHC RIP.
Don't know whether he was a good PH or not, but would have loved sharing sundowners with him.

On my last hunt in the Luangwa there was a young South African in camp who came up to experience the wilder side of Africa. He had in hand 'death in the long grass' and was living the dream following in Capstick's footsteps. I absolutely promise you that boy will strive to become a professional hunter in the future. Even in death Peter continues to encourage and influence people.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even in death Peter continues to encourage and influence people.

That's a fine epitaph, in and of itself. 'Nuff said.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew Peter and his wife. He was a gentleman and his wife a fine lady. What I see here is some condemning the man that saved Africas hunting more than all the rest put together..My business as a booking agent, and the PHs of Africa, the Safari Companies business skyrocketed thru the published books of Peter Chapstick, a wonderful revolution of African arose from the ashes of the early 20s and 30s when only the wealthy could go on Safari...He created a market to fit all, He wasn't a counterfeit he was a PH as long as as much as some even more famous than he and one of the most skilled or writers. Because of that He was the target of jealousy with some PHs an some hunters, mostly failures in the trade! As one can see on this thread, most of which really never met him are just bolviationg BS to the masses based primaril on heresay with will buy you a cup of coffee if you have two bucks...Such is the shame, and kicking a man that's dead is a pretty piss poor practice. I hope Fiona doesn't read this shit as Im sure it would be hurtfull.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42138 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I knew Peter and his wife. He was a gentleman and his wife a fine lady. What I see here is some condemning the man that saved Africas hunting more than all the rest put together..My business as a booking agent, and the PHs of Africa, the Safari Companies business skyrocketed thru the published books of Peter Chapstick, a wonderful revolution of African arose from the ashes of the early 20s and 30s when only the wealthy could go on Safari...He created a market to fit all, He wasn't a counterfeit he was a PH as long as as much as some even more famous than he and one of the most skilled or writers. Because of that He was the target of jealousy with some PHs an some hunters, mostly failures in the trade! As one can see on this thread, most of which really never met him are just bolviationg BS to the masses based primaril on heresay with will buy you a cup of coffee if you have two bucks...Such is the shame, and kicking a man that's dead is a pretty piss poor practice. I hope Fiona doesn't read this shit as Im sure it would be hurtfull.

Hi Ray,

In case you didn't know, I was the author of that initial post. This is the problem with internet forums...tone.

It was purely intended to be fun and illicit some spirited debate, which it has.

Unfortunately, the tone and intent don't show through well on these forums. Anyone who has met me, understands I take literally nothing seriously, especially internet forums.

I'm a bit saddened that our sport's demographic has lost its collective sense of humor. That said, I will take full responsibility for the direction this has taken. Not apologizing, just accepting the responsibility.

I guess hunting is best left to doing...not discussing.

Regards,

Steve

I take my sport hunting itself very serious, just not the talk and banter associated with forums.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
May PHC RIP.

On my last hunt in the Luangwa there was a young South African in camp who came up to experience the wilder side of Africa. He had in hand 'death in the long grass' and was living the dream following in Capstick's footsteps. I absolutely promise you that boy will strive to become a professional hunter in the future. Even in death Peter continues to encourage and influence people.

That's a good story...something special about sitting in the Luangwa reading stories about lions dragging you out of your tent in the Luangwa Big Grin

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, could it be possible that with the changing attitude of much of the Public, toward hunting and hunters, we, hunters are viewing things that are not intended to be, as attacks?

Just a thought.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:

Regards,

Steve

I take my sport hunting itself very serious, just not the talk and banter associated with forums.

Steve! I fail to see the connection of a HUNTING discussion, and Kicking a dead man, who can't defend himself, without one ounce of proof! If you think that is humorous you are initialed to your opinion, it sounds a little twisted to me.

I don't know that everything he said in his books is true, nor does anyone here know it was lies!

..................................................................... old

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

Regards,

Steve

Steve! I fail to see the connection of a HUNTING discussion, and Kicking a dead man, who can't defend himself, without one ounce of proof! If you think that is humorous you are initialed to your opinion, it sounds a little twisted to me.

I don't know that everything he said in his books is true, nor does anyone here know it was lies!

If anyone should know about lying on the internet it would be you. Not a surprise you would carry water for PHC.

Years of claiming on here that you own a safe full of double rifles, multiple trips to Africa for DG, etc yet never a picture posted of anything when asked to back up your claims over the years. Dan McCarthy told me a decade ago that you were a fraud and I believe him.

Let's see a photo of your double rifles and some of those buffalo you claim you killed.

I won't hold my breath for you to post 'em up. Big Grin

quote:
One or two cape buffalo per year since 1992

Three water buffalo in North territory of OZ, back in the early 60s

................... beer

"Buff or Bluff" thread posted in 2007.

Wow. How many buffalo is that Mac? 20 maybe 30 plus the three in Oz?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And people are wondering why AR seems to be in its Death Throes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
poor form...

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
poor form...

Really? Maybe it's worse form to create a false image of yourself on a forum.

Perhaps Pondoro will prove me incorrect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SquirrelNut:
quote:
poor form...

What if you are proven WRONG, what then???????

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Not sure I would have ever had a desire to go to Africa had it not been for Capstick. To him I raise a glass of brandy and coke!

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
poor form...

Perhaps you're just an asshole..

What does Pondoro have to do with this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
poor form...

Perhaps you're just an asshole..

What does Pondoro have to do with this?

Why call me names? I didn't make wild claims of shooting scores of buffalo and owning a safe full of expensive doubles.

quote:
I have to agree wholly with Ray on this one! The pricing of anything in Africa today has completely priced me out of the game.

On the prices asked for on double rifles will make me live with the seven I own, and for get any further purchases of doubles! I use the doubles I own to hunt just about everything I hunt in the USA, or Canada, so my days in Africa are sadly over!

.................................................................... CRYBABY

What are these seven doubles? Can we see some pics? I'm interested, I like double rifles and would enjoy seeing pictures of them. Doubles are expensive, I would expect him to be proud of them and enjoy displaying pictures of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Regards,

Steve

Yes, you are in fact entitled to your opinion, as am I. If you wish to let this Genie out of the bottle, remember who called whom out as "Twisted"

Let's have that discussion about hunting in Africa. Let's just limit it to the date range of the date this thread was originally posted and today.

Just between you...and I.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why call me names? I didn't make wild claims of shooting scores of buffalo and owning a safe full of expensive doubles.

Wild claims? rotflmo

If owning a safe full of expensive firearms and shooting scores of buffalo are "wild claims" then this entire forum must be one of the greatest collection of bullshitters of all time.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SquirrelNut:

If anyone should know about lying on the internet it would be you. Not a surprise you would carry water for PHC.

Unfortunately I don’t have a Chrystal ball that tells me who is lying and who is telling the truth that you seem to have! SquirrelNut believe what ever you want, that is your privilege.

quote:
Years of claiming on here that you own a safe full of double rifles, multiple trips to Africa for DG, etc yet never a picture posted of anything when asked to back up your claims over the years. Dan McCarthy told me a decade ago that you were a fraud and I believe him.

Let's see a photo of your double rifles and some of those buffalo you claim you killed.

Wasn’t Dan McCarthy banned from AR for calling our host a “SAND NIGGER” ? That doesn’t seem like a person I’d have much faith in the integrity of that you seem to!

SquirrelNut, As far as the buffalo numbers it is nowhere close to 20 and I never claimed it was. I haven’t been back to African since I retired (after 31 yrs service) almost twenty years ago I couldn’t afford to go back to Africa. However when I was still employed at American Airlines I could cut cost on the airfare making it more possible to hunt far from home. My wife is much younger than I, and today I can’t afford to deplete my savings and leave her broke when I pass. I’m in my eighty first year of life, and in poor health, so I could pass at any time.

On the double rifles I own there are seven, not a safe full of expensive doubles. Most were bought used, and the prices were very reasonable or I couldn’t have afforded them.

#1The only expensive double rifle I own today is a Westley Richards 500-450#1 express (Black powder) that I bought from an old WW II Vet brought home as a war souvenir. It is a hammerless ejector rifle with English scroll engraving. I have a letter from Westley Richards stating it was sold out of the London store in 1892 to an unknown customer.
Because no ammo was available for it the vet couldn’t shoot it. He told me he shipped it home, thinking it was a double barreled shotgun. It was on consignment at a local gun shop, and I only paid $2k for it with the fitted case.

#2 I have a 140-1.2 Merkel Safari chambered for 470NE, that I bought from a member here on AR for $7K with fitted case, a cape buffalo sling, and soft case, 5 boxes of Federal factory ammo, and a break-down TuffPac. I have the original test target, and all the paper work that came with the rifle from the factory. Another bargain, I’d say.

#3 I have another Merkel 140E-1, 9.3X74R with leather hard case, bought new from Cape Outfitters for $4695 brand new!

#4 I also have a Winchester Grand European 9.3X74R O/U double bought from another person here on AR for $3000 with the factory fitted case and a box of empty brass. This one turned out to be not such a bargain because it will not put a bullet from both barrels within six inches of each other at 50 yds, and must be re-regulated. A fix I have not yet taken.

#5 I have Pedersoli Kodiak that was bought new from Trail guns armory for $900 the 134th one made, chambered for 45-70 that regulated perfectly. It is an exposed hammer extractor rifle. That rifle has since been re-chambered to 458 RCBS, a wildcat designed by Huntington, the founder of RCBS. This rifle is as heavy as my 4 wheeler. I’m thinking about seeing if Aaron Little can sleeve in a pair of 450-400 3in barrels on this one for me.

#6 I have Black Powder 58 cal muzzle loading double traded for so I could hunt public land in Texas, where one must use a shotgun or muzzleloader to use the special resident license public land permit.

I have two doubles that are actually CAPE GUNS!
#7 One is a H. Berrela side lock , exposed hammer gun with the right barrel chambered for 8X57JR (.318 dia) and a 16 bore shot/ball on the left barrel.

#8Then a V. Haffner with Damascus barrels chambered on the right barrel for 58 Berdan Carbine, and on the left for 20GA shot/ball.

Not that the above is anybody’s business, but maybe that will make some aware that my collection of doubles is not a rich mans collection, and close to 75 or 80 other firearms I own are the collection that has taken above 60 years of buying, trading and selling over that long period, not because I am rich which I am far from rich, just comfortable at my age!

As I have said before, I’m not a wealthy man, and had to pinch pennies to do what little exotic hunting I have done. If it had not been for working for a world class airline where the airfare was a perk I couldn’t have done it at all outside North America!

With that said I see nothing wrong with stating my opinion on PHC even if it disagrees with yours or anyone’s.
SquirrelNut, It seems you don’t think anyone’s opinion but yours counts. If my post are so unbelievable to you, why don’t you just put me on IGNORE so you are not incensed by them!

.......................................................................BYE! wave

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Well I'll be, I always thought those were your hands in your signature photo, MacD37.

Why don't you tell us more of your history? It seems clear you were born in 1937 -- what years did you make trips to Africa? What caliber/rifle did you use to shoot your Cape Bufs?

I'm not familiar with the Merkel 470 NE 140-2, but a quick web search shows a new one for sale for $13,995. I think most of us would qualify that as an expensive rifle!

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not familiar with the Merkel 470 NE 140-2, but a quick web search shows a new one for sale for $13,995. I think most of us would qualify that as an expensive rifle

He says he bought it for 7k which is inline with what they fetch on the used market...and no, that's not expensive in the world of DR's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well I'll be, I always thought those were your hands in your signature photo, MacD37.

????????? Hadn't you ever noticed this wording above that photo?

quote:
Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SquirrelNut:

Unfortunately I don’t have a Chrystal ball that tells me who is lying and who is telling the truth that you seem to have! SquirrelNut believe what ever you want, that is your privilege.

quote:

Wasn’t Dan McCarthy banned from AR for calling our host a “SAND NIGGER” ? That doesn’t seem like a person I’d have much faith in the integrity of that you seem to!

SquirrelNut, As far as the buffalo numbers it is nowhere close to 20 and I never claimed it was. I haven’t been back to African since I retired (after 31 yrs service) almost twenty years ago I couldn’t afford to go back to Africa. However when I was still employed at American Airlines I could cut cost on the airfare making it more possible to hunt far from home. My wife is much younger than I, and today I can’t afford to deplete my savings and leave her broke when I pass. I’m in my eighty first year of life, and in poor health, so I could pass at any time.

On the double rifles I own there are seven, not a safe full of expensive doubles. Most were bought used, and the prices were very reasonable or I couldn’t have afforded them.

#1The only expensive double rifle I own today is a Westley Richards 500-450#1 express (Black powder) that I bought from an old WW II Vet brought home as a war souvenir. It is a hammerless ejector rifle with English scroll engraving. I have a letter from Westley Richards stating it was sold out of the London store in 1892 to an unknown customer.
Because no ammo was available for it the vet couldn’t shoot it. He told me he shipped it home, thinking it was a double barreled shotgun. It was on consignment at a local gun shop, and I only paid $2k for it with the fitted case.

#2 I have a 140-1.2 Merkel Safari chambered for 470NE, that I bought from a member here on AR for $7K with fitted case, a cape buffalo sling, and soft case, 5 boxes of Federal factory ammo, and a break-down TuffPac. I have the original test target, and all the paper work that came with the rifle from the factory. Another bargain, I’d say.

#3 I have another Merkel 140E-1, 9.3X74R with leather hard case, bought new from Cape Outfitters for $4695 brand new!

#4 I also have a Winchester Grand European 9.3X74R O/U double bought from another person here on AR for $3000 with the factory fitted case and a box of empty brass. This one turned out to be not such a bargain because it will not put a bullet from both barrels within six inches of each other at 50 yds, and must be re-regulated. A fix I have not yet taken.

#5 I have Pedersoli Kodiak that was bought new from Trail guns armory for $900 the 134th one made, chambered for 45-70 that regulated perfectly. It is an exposed hammer extractor rifle. That rifle has since been re-chambered to 458 RCBS, a wildcat designed by Huntington, the founder of RCBS. This rifle is as heavy as my 4 wheeler. I’m thinking about seeing if Aaron Little can sleeve in a pair of 450-400 3in barrels on this one for me.

#6 I have Black Powder 58 cal muzzle loading double traded for so I could hunt public land in Texas, where one must use a shotgun or muzzleloader to use the special resident license public land permit.

I have two doubles that are actually CAPE GUNS!
#7 One is a H. Berrela side lock , exposed hammer gun with the right barrel chambered for 8X57JR (.318 dia) and a 16 bore shot/ball on the left barrel.

#8Then a V. Haffner with Damascus barrels chambered on the right barrel for 58 Berdan Carbine, and on the left for 20GA shot/ball.

Not that the above is anybody’s business, but maybe that will make some aware that my collection of doubles is not a rich mans collection, and close to 75 or 80 other firearms I own are the collection that has taken above 60 years of buying, trading and selling over that long period, not because I am rich which I am far from rich, just comfortable at my age!

As I have said before, I’m not a wealthy man, and had to pinch pennies to do what little exotic hunting I have done. If it had not been for working for a world class airline where the airfare was a perk I couldn’t have done it at all outside North America!

With that said I see nothing wrong with stating my opinion on PHC even if it disagrees with yours or anyone’s.
SquirrelNut, It seems you don’t think anyone’s opinion but yours counts. If my post are so unbelievable to you, why don’t you just put me on IGNORE so you are not incensed by them!

.......................................................................BYE! wave

To set the record straight, Dan wasn't banned for calling anyone a "Sand Nigger". You are either mistaken in that accusation or a liar. I am sure your misstatement was intentional as you've been around long enough to know who Dan was and why he is no longer here. In case you actually have forgotten, Dan was banned for posting anti-Obama memes in the ARPF back in 2008-2009, management here didn't like his political views so he was banned. Of course you know that well and good yet instead chose to lie about him which says more about you than him. Dan was a very knowledgeable member with tons of experience reloading for, shooting, and hunting with legitimate doubles and big bores, unlike you who has only ever posted just enough to make it sound to the half-informed that you know what you're posting about.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sheesh, why all the anger and vitriol? I am sure you could care less but it certainly is a poor reflection on you. Easy to understand why you like to hide behind a pseudonym with your posts.

Mike

Posts: 21668 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Sheesh, why all the anger and vitriol? I am sure you could care less but it certainly is a poor reflection on you. Easy to understand why you like to hide behind a pseudonym with your posts.

I don't hide behind a pseudonym, Mike. Everyone knows who I am or if they don't they haven't paid attention. I don't like frauds and I don't like people who insult my friends who aren't here to defend themselves.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Okay, I was not paying attention. How about just saying who you are? I know Dan too. Bought a double rifle from him. My guess is that he could give a rip what anyone on AR has to say about him. Just saying.

Mike

Posts: 21668 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote