THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    If OOA & Mark Sullivan were the only African outfitters left????
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If OOA & Mark Sullivan were the only African outfitters left????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
I would be really interested in everyone's honest answers.

Question:
If OOA & Mark Sullivan were the only outfitters operating in Africa, what would you do?

Choices:
Hunt with OOA
Hunt with Mark Sullivan
Never hunt in Africa with either of them

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
100% of AR agrees they would hunt with Mark Sullivan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....oh wait I'm the only person that voted. Frowner I'd gladdly hunt with Mark if that were the case. The man will shoot or not shoot as much as his client wants. That man also can use a double like no one's business. To boot he has produced over the years some amazing animals for his clients. The pictures of dangerous game and plains game in his first book are hard to believe!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If someone wishes to sponsor me;

I will do two hunts back to back and give my honest and unbiased report on the two.

Smiler

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
still 100%...

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I hope Saeed or Don deletes this thread.

~Ann

Posts: 19559 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:

I guess thats one no vote for Mark.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Brett:
Thanks for your honest comments on Mark. I would take my .600 Wilkes and hunt with him in a New York minute. When I make some money on my .600 book that is just what I will do. I believe he has more experience with a .600 than any hunter in history. All the folks who put him down do it with jealousy and never have experienced hunting with the man. Perhaps we should hunt with him?
Cal
PS. Shoot at my cabin Sunday? My 4-bore still has some ammo with your name on it (just the 16-dram loads!).

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
According to the poll MS's popularity is soaring!

I guess getting shafted by SCI changed everyone's opinion of the man.
Roll Eyes

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
After four safaris, I've given up hunting Africa because of the endless parade of charlatans, gouging, and outright larcenous nature of the people involved.

MS and OoA are just two of a long list of characters that have ruined "it" fore me.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would hunt w/ MS anytime anywhere.
JM

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

+1, besides it will give some folks here more time to drive around looking for freeway accidents to stop and stare at.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no comparison between Mark Sullivan and out of africa,Mark has never been charged with any ethical violations what-so-ever,Mark Sullivan gets a bad name for people who are jealous of him and makeup BS that has never happened, it just plan slander............

One of Us
Picture of white north
posted Hide Post
hmmmm,if you hunt wih ooa you might not get your trophys,with Mark S you will. Even if they were not the last 2 I still would go with Mark S. As soon as I have enough money I will book a hunt with him.

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to see the tone change around this place if Mark climbs aboard. Just think about the contribution he can make with his formidable DG experience.

Will the detractors engage him?

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have talked to Mark Sullivan on a few occasions. I found him to be most enthuastic about African hunting.

Also I have talked to people tht have hunted with him.

They had nothing but great things to say about him.

One fella had hunted with him twice, Mark never fired a shot on eiother of his Safaris...

The reason, it was not necessary...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Never hunted with Mark but when I was researching for my first trip to Africa I contacted him. At that time I really did not know who he was. He lived here in PHX and invited me over for lunch. He was very pleasant to talk with and from the initial impression I got I would hunt with him no problem. If I had enough money I would book with him tomorrow.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Where were you guys the other several hundred times MS name was being dragged through the mud?

Sometimes the way a thread will go to one extreme or the other has me Confused bewildered and Roll Eyes

killpc

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would hunt with MS in a heartbeat.. hell, not only would I, but I WANT to..
Taking donations.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Where were you guys the other several hundred times MS name was being dragged through the mud?

Sometimes the way a thread will go to one extreme or the other has me Confused bewildered and Roll Eyes

killpc

JB, this not in any way directed against you, or any one else...

If you will look back on those posts, you will see I posted my thoughts on them as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of silkibex
posted Hide Post
Start poaching...

Posts: 210 | Location: Central Asia/SE Asia | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

If you will look back on those posts, you will see I posted my thoughts on them as well.

No, I know that MS has had a few supporters in the past, with you being one. I am just amazed at the outpouring of support.

How could the threads have been so negative in the past with so many members who think he is a great PH with whom they would love to hunt?

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
How could the threads have been so negative in the past with so many members who think he is a great PH with whom they would love to hunt?

Because people like me WERE ignorant about Mark, what he actually does, and why he does it! I finally had enough and decided to read his books, watch his videos, and listen to people who know him. My mind has changed. I may not be falling all over myself to go hunt with him, but I could sure as hell do a LOT worse for a PH than MS!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
There are many smart people on AR. I would even say that a very high percentage of people on AR are smart.

So....I thought I would introduce some inductive logic to see what came out. We all use deductive logic on a regular basis. We also use rational logic and non-rational logic all the time (not irrational but non-rational - such as love, hate, humour etc.)

Inductive logic is the cornerstone of modern scientific analysis and epistemology. Many scientists today have forgotten or never learned in the first place that Social science, philosophy & epistemology are the foundations of modern science. Human ability to develop scientific principles, methods, rules, tests etc. are a scope of science in itself. But it is never absolute or finite.

How does all this become relevant to Mark Sullivan? Well (assuming that the small sample size is a fair representation of AR sentiments) this poll shows that when alternatives and options are limited and the focus in clarified by such constraints, logic, opinion and choice is also clarified. Earlier rants about MS were obviously about egos, opinions and style and had nothing to do with real content. On the other hand the previous rants about OOA were obviously based on much deeper sentiments of ethics, credibility and legality. That is my conclusion from this poll. popcorn stir

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No, I know that MS has had a few supporters in the past, with you being one. I am just amazed at the outpouring of support.

i am certainly not a supporter of either of these -i voted i wouldn't go .. however, MS is getting a raw deal. just cuz i don't like him doesn't mean i think he should get screwed over.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the pole should read who has hunted with and did you have a good hunt. since most to the brain trust here have never hunted with the man or even talked to him. Or a thread asking the rumor mongers if they have ever hunted in africa ever.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had to make a choice I'd pick Mark Sullivan. We'd just have a talk about what I expected and I'm sure the hunt would be fine.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would hunt with MS in a heartbeat

+1 tu2

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with Mark Sullivan and he explained to me that he has registered to be a member of this site(accurate reloading),he will be registered using his name(mark sullivan),he also explained to me(capebuf)that he will answer any questions that people want to ask him and also the BS that people have made up about him,he will be posting by tomorrow.Mark welcome aboard glad to have you...........

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
If those were the only two to choose from, it certainly wouldn't be OOA! However the thought means nothing, because those days are over. I can't afford to hunt Africa anymore, and never could afford to book with MS if I'd wanted to!

If I could afford to hunt with anybody I chose, it would likely be #1 Tanzania Game Trackers #2 Johon Calitz in Botswana, #3 with Andrew Dawson in Zimbabwe, and #4 Pierre VonTonder in Tanzania, but those are just day dreams today. Roll Eyes

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Brett:
Thanks for your honest comments on Mark. I would take my .600 Wilkes and hunt with him in a New York minute. When I make some money on my .600 book that is just what I will do. I believe he has more experience with a .600 than any hunter in history. All the folks who put him down do it with jealousy and never have experienced hunting with the man. Perhaps we should hunt with him?
Cal
PS. Shoot at my cabin Sunday? My 4-bore still has some ammo with your name on it (just the 16-dram loads!).

If I had my way, I would be right behind you. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
quote:

i am certainly not a supporter of either of these -i voted i wouldn't go .. however, MS is getting a raw deal. just cuz i don't like him doesn't mean i think he should get screwed over.

Would you prefer to stay at home knitting? animal

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I didn't vote...

I was really hoping there was an option to hunt with Walter...Now that would be a kick in the pants

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Never been to Africa, but I've talked to a couple of hunting friends that hunted with Sullivan and they said they had a great time.

I've seen a couple of his videos and they looked exciting. I wouldn't mind hunting with him at all.

No clue who OOA is though...

375 Ruger- The NEW KING of the .375's!!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
My good and departed friend Allen Day (RIP), hunted with Mark on several safaris and had nothing but praise for his professionalism, motivation and just plain fun. That is good enough for me and I'd hunt with him anytime anyplace. Mark if you read this, you should exibit at DSC and forget the uppity SCI BS. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do we waste time on a question that won't and can't happen?

465h&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatehouse:

No clue who OOA is though...

OOA is: Out Of Africa, a safari company that was banned from SCI, But as far as I know they were given a reason for their suspencion!!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:

465h&H
damn good question!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13433 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:

465h&H

Same reason why so many are on AR Africa forum though they will never hunt Africa, shoot a buffalo, elephant or leopard etc. Another good reason is self explanatory - the fact that 75% will hunt with MS & only one with OOA shows something very important in terms of the credibility of the two controversial outfitters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

Ann,

You are generally the voice of reason.

Why the sudden need for censorship? Confused

If a thread pisses me off, I don't continue to read it. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont understand how they (OOA ans MS) are even in the same league.

MS has many haters because of his hunting methods and beliefs about dangerous game. I have NEVER heard of him doing anything devious, shady, illegal, or anything that borders on trying to screw a client.

OOA these bastards are the guys that do anything possible to do all of the above to get deeper in a clients pocket....including ass rapeing your dead corpse, if that is what it takes.

I dont see a parralel between the two......

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote