THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    If OOA & Mark Sullivan were the only African outfitters left????
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If OOA & Mark Sullivan were the only African outfitters left????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I hope Saeed or Don deletes this thread.

+1, besides it will give some folks here more time to drive around looking for freeway accidents to stop and stare at.

Mike,
Near as I can tell, YOU steered YOUR car straight into this thread at your own free will.
Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish I had the coins to hunt with MS. With him living in Alabama, I am sure that he and this "good ole boy" from Mississippi would have a grand time.

Hartley Kittle

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
silwane

don't hold back so much buddy tell us what you really think Big Grin. I did enjoy seeing the pictures you posted after your hunt this yr. especially after meeting you and your dad at the airport

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would miss Africa, since I have four more hunts planned.

Or did you mean I could hunt mark sullivan with OoA?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
After four safaris, I've given up hunting Africa because of the endless parade of charlatans, gouging, and outright larcenous nature of the people involved.

MS and OoA are just two of a long list of characters that have ruined "it" fore me.

George

Can't help bad luck. hilbily

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems like nothing but a car accident or Mark Sullivan conjures up more folks stopping to look.
I'd hunt with Mark in a heartbeat, naysayers be damned. Spoke with him before at both SCI and DSC....I enjoyed chatting with him and I'm sure his love of African hunting would fit right in with mine.

There Steve.....your one vote you were looking for....except yours of course. Big Grin

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He ain't here yet...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I checked "Other". Mark, you were a close second. Smiler

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
He ain't here yet...

Rich
DRSS

Well with Big Man on Campus, Rich "daring" him he'll most likey be scared off now.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nganga,

It's all about him, coming here, to defend himself in the court of public opinion.
Don't be snide, at your age it's inappropriate.

Besides, don't try and push this all of on me.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At your age its all but impossible & I'm not pushing it all on you but your daring him Rich.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
I checked "Other". Mark, you were a close second. Smiler

Amen Bill!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's all about him, coming here, to defend himself in the court of public opinion.

Since he's done nothing wrong what he's done needs no defense! God help us if brave souls and great men ever have to be subject to "right" or "wrong" as decided by "the court of public opinion"!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
He ain't here yet...

Rich
DRSS

Anybody else remember Allen?

http://forums.accuratereloadin...?r=61010672#61010672

<allen day> Posted 13 November 2003 06:32

I know Mark very well. He's a very good friend of mine and I've known him and his family for going on ten years or so. I flew to Phoenix to meet him more than a year before I ever hunted with him, which was a very positive experience. I've been positive about Mark ever since.

I hunted with him in 1995 for twenty-one days in Tanzania and together we took a great many exceptional trophies, and I had the time of my life - the best hunting expedition I've ever been on in thirty years of hunting.

I've also hunted with him on various outings during the off-season here in the U.S.; will hunt with him again next week for deer, hogs and stuff in Texas; and I'm booked to hunt with him again next season for a twenty-eight day safari in Tanzania.

Quite honestly, Mark is the very best PH I've ever hunted with, bar-none. He is a highly driven, highly intelligent, and imaginative man who strives to be the very best that he can be in all that he does, sets goals, plans for them, reaches for them, and achieves them. Mark is a very classy guy, an upbeat person, and a joy to hunt with for days on end. Every day is a happy day with Mark, and every hunting day turns out to be a special one. He treats every occasion as if it's the first safari day of the season. He is very selective as to the trophies he lets clients take (that's why you see exceptional animals on his website!), and he has an incredible work ethic and incredible endurance.

I've never seen Mark waste time (mine or his), act as though bewildered, make the wrong set of moves, or mishandle any situation in the bush. I can't say the same for other PHs I've hunted with. He runs a safari crew very efficiently and with great expertise. Make no mistake about it, Mark is indeed a man of great courage, and he is indeed an expert marksman (and FAST) with either a bolt gun or a double. He's no drugstore cowboy by any stretch of the imagination, and he certainly does "walk the walk".

In all candor, can't say anything bad about Mark at all, and if I didn't trust and believe in him as a friend and as a PH, I would invest in an expensive, time-consuming hunt with him, pure and simple. I know several of Mark's long-time clients as well, and most of them have hunted with him again and again, or are planning to. This isn't exactly a stupid group of people, I assure you, and if Mark was the sort of heinous character he gets painted out to be by some of the armchair quarterbacks (who don't know him and haven't hunted with him), you can be certain that these folks wouldn't touch him.

I wouldn't either.

AD

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
quote:
He ain't here yet...

Rich
DRSS

Anybody else remember Allen?

http://forums.accuratereloadin...?r=61010672#61010672

<allen day> Posted 13 November 2003 06:32

I know Mark very well. He's a very good friend of mine and I've known him and his family for going on ten years or so. I flew to Phoenix to meet him more than a year before I ever hunted with him, which was a very positive experience. I've been positive about Mark ever since.

I hunted with him in 1995 for twenty-one days in Tanzania and together we took a great many exceptional trophies, and I had the time of my life - the best hunting expedition I've ever been on in thirty years of hunting.

I've also hunted with him on various outings during the off-season here in the U.S.; will hunt with him again next week for deer, hogs and stuff in Texas; and I'm booked to hunt with him again next season for a twenty-eight day safari in Tanzania.

Quite honestly, Mark is the very best PH I've ever hunted with, bar-none. He is a highly driven, highly intelligent, and imaginative man who strives to be the very best that he can be in all that he does, sets goals, plans for them, reaches for them, and achieves them. Mark is a very classy guy, an upbeat person, and a joy to hunt with for days on end. Every day is a happy day with Mark, and every hunting day turns out to be a special one. He treats every occasion as if it's the first safari day of the season. He is very selective as to the trophies he lets clients take (that's why you see exceptional animals on his website!), and he has an incredible work ethic and incredible endurance.

I've never seen Mark waste time (mine or his), act as though bewildered, make the wrong set of moves, or mishandle any situation in the bush. I can't say the same for other PHs I've hunted with. He runs a safari crew very efficiently and with great expertise. Make no mistake about it, Mark is indeed a man of great courage, and he is indeed an expert marksman (and FAST) with either a bolt gun or a double. He's no drugstore cowboy by any stretch of the imagination, and he certainly does "walk the walk".

In all candor, can't say anything bad about Mark at all, and if I didn't trust and believe in him as a friend and as a PH, I would invest in an expensive, time-consuming hunt with him, pure and simple. I know several of Mark's long-time clients as well, and most of them have hunted with him again and again, or are planning to. This isn't exactly a stupid group of people, I assure you, and if Mark was the sort of heinous character he gets painted out to be by some of the armchair quarterbacks (who don't know him and haven't hunted with him), you can be certain that these folks wouldn't touch him.

I wouldn't either.

AD

Nuff Said,
I'm goin huntin.............

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Allen Day also said on NitroExpress.com:

I've hunted with Mark twice in Tanzania. The first time was ten years ago on a 21-day safari, and then again this season for a 10-day buffalo/plainsgame hunt.

All I can say is that Mark's been a very good friend of mine for some twelve years, and he's absolutely knocked himself out for me as a professional hunter. He's always delivered better than his word, and he's gone way above and beyond the call of duty on my behalf every time. I have NEVER had a written contract with Mark, ever. We've operated strictly on a handshake basis, and our safaris have always worked out better than I ever envisioned going in.

Sullivan has tremendous instincts in the bush, and excellent judgement. He has a happy, can-do attitude every single day of the safari, and an incredible work ethic. Mark is a driven man. He wastes none of your time, nor his. He has a game plan in place at the start of every hunting day, and he seemingly knows every square foot of his hunting blocks as if they were a part of his own backyard.

Mark is also extremely considerate of his native staff, speaks fluent Swahili, and he's had the same two main trackers for the last nine years running, as well as several other members of his team. And quite honestly, Mark's crew is the happiest and most efficient I've ever seen in Africa. While we were in camp this year, Mark's birthday came around, and the entire camp staff came into the dining hut after dinner in celebration. It was one of the most memorable episodes I've ever witnessed in a hunting camp, and luckily I have it all on video. That entire scene told the whole story of Mark's relationship with his staff.

One hunting episode from this season will also tell you something about Mark Sullivan: Early in the safari, Mark told me about an old bachelor dugga boy buffalo that he said lived about one kilometer from camp. Mark, with a twinkle in his eye, said, "Allen, I've been saving this bull for you, and the boys are looking for him every morning. If they spot him, we'll head out from camp on foot and see if we can't collect him!" Well, at first light a few days later one of the boys came to my tent and announced that the bull had been spotted, so without wasting any time or asking any questions, I put on my binoculars, took my 416 Rem. Mag. out of the case, and headed for the main camp area. I stood on top of the Landcruiser and managed to spot the top of the bull's back, and sure enough, he appeared to be about a mile from camp.

We headed out on foot, following the course of a dry wash, which kept us well-hidden for our stalk, and fortunately, the wind was exactly right. In due course, Ali, our head tracker, climbed to the top of the wash and motioned for us to join him. The buffalo was feeding, about 100 yds. from our position, so we carefully stalked even closer, to about 40 yards. At that point, Mark told me to get ready, and when the buffalo looked up and spotted us, he wasted no time in making an exit attempt, at which point I shot him. He went down on the spot, let out his death bellow, and that was that. It was like a storybook hunt, as have been so many of the individual hunts I've had with Mark. It was one of those episodes you never forget for the rest of your life.

And no, Mark didn't fire a shot. He's never shot any of the animals I've taken when we've hunted together, because he hasn't had to. I've done all my own shooting.......

AD

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Allen was a good guy. RIP Allen.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice post to bring back up to the surface, Cane..for both Allen AND Mark..

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
quote:

Since he's done nothing wrong what he's done needs no defense!

quote:
Originally posted by silwane:
I dont understand how they (OOA ans MS) are even in the same league.

MS has many haters because of his hunting methods and beliefs about dangerous game. I have NEVER heard of him doing anything devious, shady, illegal, or anything that borders on trying to screw a client.

I rarely disagree with either of you, but I believe both of you are wrong. MS has been accused of over shooting qouta and leaving dead buffalo in the bush while collecting charge footage for his videos. Some of these accusations made it into print in a book by Terry Cacek. The Tanzanian PH making the accusations was named, but MS was not specifically named but it was extreamly clear that MS was the accused.

I don't have the book(Professional Hunters For A Changing Africa) on hand, so I am going by memory of the accusations. In other words, I may be full-of-S____.)

I will reread it tomorrow.

I hope when MS shows-up we show him the respect he deserves as a guest of this site(Yes Rich, I mean you).

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
MS has been accused of over shooting qouta and leaving dead buffalo in the bush while collecting charge footage for his videos.

"been accused".....not quite the same as "found guilty"! Never the less we (AR) has heard this one before. Nothing concrete came out of it that time either. I believe the story went like: Some guy I know hunted with a PH who had a friend who was a PH who's brother was a PH who talked to a guy who hunted after MS in an area and said you couldn't even walk out of your tent in camp for fear of a wounded buffalo chasing you around your tent. At least that's how I remember it! Big Grin

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall a notorious case where certain lacross players were accused and pretty much convicted in the press. What happened there? MS hasn't been charged with anything much less convicted.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho,your a funny guy,by the way you dont have to send me pms like that.....

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Rich

You are really making an ass of yourself. Please stop digging.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let him dig(idaho)its very entertaining.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the title here of "Devil's Advocate". I like that. People like capebuf depend on me. coffee

My position, from the onset; is that Mark Sullivan has engaged in gratuitous sensationalism in his videos. I saw the first one at Dallas SHOT Show in 1995. It was distasteful then.

I have stated that he is owed a better deal than the one SCI is offering; which is ducking him. I have sent them a letter stating so. A couple weeks ago.

It was my opinion that Mark Sullivan could have used this forum as a court of public opinion, and to force SCI to deal with him in an open and aboveboard manner. They have profited from having him as an exhibitor and donor. They do owe him, or anyone that justice.

He should have come here earlier, like the day after the first post appeared. He would have had my apologies, just as he has gotten from me here and in a PM.

I was wrong, partially thru mis-information, and partly based on his videos.

As I said earlier, I WAS WRONG.

regards,

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho,i like you, you are funny,i depend on you to be a funny guy its entertaining,thank you again......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do what I can...

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Well done Rich. You have earned my respect and I am sure that of others as well.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote