New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on boots/gaiters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Leaving the end of this month for SA in the Limpopo area around Lephalale and have a question about boots and gaiters. I was planning on buying some some boots or light hiker's but my Rocky Lacers are on there last leg and I just bought some some insoles for them to make them doable. We will be there the 28th through the 9th of October and I know it will be hot with these leather boots. They have 8" uppers and was curious if I still need gaiters with this high of a boot. I thinking the gaiters are beneficial with shorter boots or sneakers. Due to the time of year and temp I will be wearing shorts if that makes a difference. Insight would be helpful, thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gaiters keep some trash off your bootstrings, that's it. Nothing to worry about.

Gaiters or not is less important than Scotch or gin in camp.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been hunting in Africa for over 30 years, and have never wore boots or gaiters.

I wear trainers, and they work great.

Light weight too.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67715 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SquirrelNut:
Gaiters keep some trash off your bootstrings, that's it. Nothing to worry about.

Please tell us about your experience in Africa. Word is you only hang out in the Political Forum and are a bit tired of getting your butt kicked there so now you are pretending you actually have been in Africa. Please inform us of your experience there. We wait with baited breath.

Otherwise stick with the children that play in the Political Forum.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7613 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take moleskin for blister instead of gators.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
If you will be in grass that has burrs or seeds the gaiters will keep them out of your laces. I haven't hunted that areas so I do not know.

I have the ones from Boyt Harness that are $16 (plus shipping etc.), Some do not like them because they have to go on before your boots but they work for me.

http://www.shopboytharness.com...duct/safari-gaiters/

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Light weight , standard cut works best and are a good combo with gaitors. 8" uppers you shouldn't need gaitors and if that is what you are comfortable then go for it. But it will be very hot at that time of the year

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Bayou , terrain varies greatly throughout South Africa. You might be over dressed with your heavy boots. Its going to be warm this time of the year. Have your outfitter advise you accordingly.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With shorts, gaiters can be useful......but not essential.

I wear an all leather Pikolino sneaker for warm weather hunts.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I almost always hunt and work with shorts. Cotton gaiters (sock savers) are a sensible way to keep debris out of your shoes.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

Please tell us about your experience in Africa. Word is you only hang out in the Political Forum and are a bit tired of getting your butt kicked there so now you are pretending you actually have been in Africa. Please inform us of your experience there. We wait with baited breath.

Squirrel Nut - Is that like a tiny bollock?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9911 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
rotflmo
Well its certainly not a plural.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Don't wear socks and then it's all good

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:
Bayou , terrain varies greatly throughout South Africa. You might be over dressed with your heavy boots. Its going to be warm this time of the year. Have your outfitter advise you accordingly.

+1 depends on the time of year too. May - August in the Eastern cape highlands will see you walking in tons of grass that will prick and itch you through your socks .

In Limpopo in mopane country it will be dry with very little ground cover and leaves and sand les would work

Find out from your PH what the terrain will be like
Best regards

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt in Tevas most of the time, but some folks prefer boots and gators. If you do decide on gators, make sure they are cotton/canvas type (like ozhunter's) and not a poly fabric. Your PH will burn your poly gators after a few stalks. You will sound like a fat kid in corduroys eating potato chips.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far in hunting TZ, RSA, Namibia twice & Zim I have always hunted in New Balance walking shoes that I walk in 6 days a week. I have gaiters in my gear bag and have used them once in Namibia to keep the grass seeds from driving me nuts. I may be nuts but it did keep the seeds out of my socks Big Grin

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always worn long pants and about 6"-8" boots. I've never had any need at all for gaiters.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12943 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I never hunt without them. They keep the crap out of your boots and keep your laces from snagging on thorns and other vegetation.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
I've always worn long pants and about 6"-8" boots. I've never had any need at all for gaiters.

Mark

Long pants can be nice in some areas Smiler

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anton,

My scrotum contracted the first time I saw that photo of your legs and I had the exact same reaction just now.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12943 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Smiler If you take away all the scratches etc and look at my right foot also, had something bit me on the ankle and I think I sprained it also. (as you could see its about double the size lol..) Those leopards don't come easy!

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
Those leopards don't come easy!

Looks like you tried to kill it with your hands.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7613 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted the Limpopo region a few months back (June).

I decided to take mesh type boots. It was a big mistake! Leather boots (lightweight) without the mesh, would be my recommendation.

I can remember we spent a few hours tracking an eland bull. It seems as if I had about half of every thorn, weed.... etc. in my socks.

If you take regular shoes, or non-leather hikers, use gaiters. If you have leather hiking boots, I don't think you need them....

Posts: 2658 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Really hard to be a good pair of courtneys or leather Russell chuckkas...I like gaiters and wear them every time I wear shorts.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Short shorts and gaiters look really cool in pictures. That's why I wear them.

Also I have noticed that when I put on my well worn dirty gaiters with blood spots on them, the PH starts to relax more and stops talking to me like I'm a total newbie.

Wink

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
I almost always hunt and work with shorts. Cotton gaiters (sock savers) are a sensible way to keep debris out of your shoes.

Glad you had your gaiters on to keep the trash you are sitting on out of your shoes. Nice.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

+1 although we have it on good assurance from members who apparently know him that he really has been to Africa. i hunt in shorts and use Boyt gaiters to keep crap off my socks and out of my low boots.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13292 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Please tell us about your experience in Africa. Word is you only hang out in the Political Forum and are a bit tired of getting your butt kicked there so now you are pretending you actually have been in Africa. Please inform us of your experience there. We wait with baited breath .

What is "baited" breath? Are you baiting me? I await your response with bated breath. Cool

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
nice semantic response to dodge the question.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the question i referred to was you African experience. and from my experience, they do a lot more than keep seeds off your boot strings if hunting in shorts and in an area where there is a lot dried grass. sorry to make the question to oblique for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
the question i referred to was you African experience. and from my experience, they do a lot more than keep seeds off your boot strings if hunting in shorts and in an area where there is a lot dried grass. sorry to make the question to oblique for you.

Gaitors are great if one chooses to wear them but they aren't really necessary. I have two pair upstairs if anyone wants them.

Snake boots here in the south, different story. I wear them.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
are you bright enough to understand the question?-re. your African experience? i don't think snake boots or gaiters, and their use in Africa vs the southern US is at issue...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
are you bright enough to understand the question?-re. your African experience? i don't think snake boots or gaiters, and their use in Africa vs the southern US is at issue...

Give it up, we both know the answer. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
well, i guess you do but i am apparently to stupid to know the answer. maybe you should quit avoiding the question...... or i should donttroll

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is Shootaway using a new name?
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
you gotta wonder how someone gets 386 posts in a month. and still avoids the question of experience. reminds me of a few years ago with Andy, the consummate shit stirrer....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went today and bought some light weight hikers to wear on the trip. They are not the most expensive but I figured they would do for a week and also bought some good insoles. Also checked into the gaiters since I have to make another order through midway and the boyt's are only $10. The hikers are a suede mesh 6" and have to do a serious break in in the next two weeks. If they don't work, whats $10 after all this. Thanks

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Cooley:
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

Glad you had your gaiters on to keep the trash you are sitting on out of your shoes. Nice.
Bill

Could have been this pretty Buff Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a pretty buff!! tu2
Where was this one taken?
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
-Mark Twain
~Will Rogers~

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I hunt in long pants, I never used to use gaiters. Then a PH loaned me a pair -- we had some tick issues if I recall correctly. I've not hunted without them since, long pants and all.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote