Tools

Question on boots/gaiters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SquirrelNut:
Gaitors are great if one chooses to wear them but they aren't really necessary. I have two pair upstairs if anyone wants them.

Snake boots here in the south, different story. I wear them.

I'll take a pair! What do you need? I can PM my mailing address.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Heck, I use 'em here in Texas whenever I am in anything deeper than a mowed lawn. I wear shorts all the time and I HATE seeds in my socks/shoes/laces.

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Walked about 4 miles Sunday near my house. Did not wear gaiters with boots and shorts.

Same walk, same shorts, same boots, with gaiters

Do what you like, I wear gaiters in Africa and at home unless I am wearing gators.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh my...only in New Iberia, LA.
Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with lavaca. I wear them whether I'm wearing shorts or long pants. I use Boyt's canvas models. Lightweight, cool, and fit just fine under the hem of long pants, should I be wearing them.

It also keeps the housekeeping staff happy so they don't have to spend so much time picking the briars and such out of your socks. Smiler

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
The only issue I had with Boyt's canvas model is that the elastic kept constricting my ankles. After a day I'd have swollen ankles on either side of the elastic.

I bought Courtney's leather gaiters with leather ties for future hunts.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TWL:

I wear them a bit different. I tuck my pants into my socks. Then I put the gaiters over that. Belt and suspenders I know.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
I've always worn long pants and about 6"-8" boots. I've never had any need at all for gaiters.

Mark

Long pants can be nice in some areas Smiler

That photo reminds me of a mate now long gone, who at the invitation of a comely woman, was enjoying her company when she squawked something about "husband," "home early." He grabbed his clothing and bailed out the window. The husband was known for his very large rose garden and extensive rose collection. However, fear was better than a popular energy drink. It was only when he landed at his own flat, that he realised that he might need a blood transfusion and even the wobbly bits needed attention.
I digress, sorry.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long pants or shorts I wear gaiters. Certainly keeps seed out of socks. If in long grass or where there are plenty of burrs I use long gaiters. Cotton or suede covered canvas.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote