Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo beans quick fix needed!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
Has anyone got a remedy for alleviating the pain of Buffalo bean hairs.
Need this right away please.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appently rubbing with ash works

Posts: 116 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 12 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Fine sandpaper and lots of grease - burn the clothes you were wearing as well.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Either rub vigorously with mud or wet sand. Or apply mud, let it dry and peel it off.

Neil is right. Get rid of all clothes and other items that have been contaminated.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Ozhunter,

You should be fine by now and it will be a good lesson. When in doubt in the bush keep away from any broad leaf vine. There are a couple that look similar to the buffalo bean and like I say avoid them all.

There are a lot of PH's here that when entering the thick stuff will not look ahead but more upwards and now you know why.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
Thankfully it was one of the boys and not me. Smiler

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sadly, I managed to get whacked by buffalo beans before, as well as blister beetles!

And I can tell you, buffalo bean pales into insignificance compared with blister beetles.

Somehow I got it on the back of my neck, so the whole back of my neck got blistered!

The pain kept getting worse and worse for a few days, especially once the day gets warm, and my shirt collar kept rubbing on the wounds.

I had to turn my shirt neck inside out, to avoid touching the raw wounds.

Anna Marie was kind enough to have a few ointments that helped a bit, and Walter was calling me a wimp!?

I had his sympathy, though, a couple of years later.

I had a big blister on my right heel. And as I usually do, I pricked it to relieve the pressure.

This worked for a couple of days, then it started hurting quite a lot.

When I looked, I discovered that another blister formed undeneath the previous one, and the whole part had become infected!

The stink would have invited any hyaena within a mile downwind!

I pricked that one too, and filled the resulting hole with some perfume with a high alcohol content!

That was the end of the infection.

Walter said "If anyone needs any proof that you do not think while here this is it"

"What do you mean?"
Walter "You have been running around for miles with your foot in that state. Didn't it hurt you?"

"Yes, it hurt a bit"
Walter "You see, no matter what is wrong with you, if there is buffalo ahead, you feel nothing"

"Well, we did come here to hunt, so why let a little blister ruin that"

Walter "Little blister! If that was my foot, I would have stayed in bed"

"That just goes to show the difference between you and me"

The day I discovered that my foot was infected, we had walked 25 ks.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wet tea bag- pores in the paper pull out the hairs...always carry a couple even though I never drink Tea!

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Saeed - one up on your blister beetle story !!

Heading back into camp and needing to take a good dump,so I pulled over,ran into the bushes, dropped the rods, and took care of business.

A couple hours later, I was burning like hell, and not being able to see the problems,promplty scrathched them.Needless to say the acid spread down my legs overnight, and prevented me from wearing ANY clothing for a few days!! Not a pleasant thing.

I have since changed my bathroom habits, with a thorough inspection of the area, where not even a small ant or spider is safe. I learnt a lesson.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Eish, but there's a couple of nasty stories here! jumping

Neil, Might be an idea to keep that one out of the memoirs! animal animal animal animal

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Steve:

No poems, limmericks, or songs on this!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
How about duct tape to pull the spines out. Press the tape over the area and pull it off along with the spines.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
Steve:

No poems, limmericks, or songs on this!

Mate, sometimes I think you're a bit of a philistine! rotflmo

With the itchy beans.... one way is to think like a warthog. first find a flatdog free wallow, get your kit off and wallow all over.... then wait for it to dry and crack the mud off..... if you're a hairy bugger it's gonna hurt like hell. animal animal animal

I reckon Don's tea bag method might be less painful and certainly more hygenic. Not as much fun for the spectators though! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Damn, but I could have done without some of the images provoked by reading this thread!

I have seen plenty of buffalo beans, but thank God I have so far managed to avoid coming into contact with them.

But I have never even heard of a blister beetle.

Does anyone have a photo of one?

What do they do that makes the blisters?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are buffalo beans? Pictures?

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Damn, but I could have done without some of the images provoked by reading this thread!

I have seen plenty of buffalo beans, but thank God I have so far managed to avoid coming into contact with them.

But I have never even heard of a blister beetle.

Does anyone have a photo of one?

What do they do that makes the blisters?

Cantharidin. They are quite common in the lower midwest of the US.

They also happen to be lethal to horses when ingested in hay (alfalfa usually).

http://www.bing.com/images/sea...qpvt=blister+beetle#

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This is good to know, as I will remember to never swallow one then!

One day I swallowed a tse tse fly, and everyone was laughing. We stopped the truck, and I got the Tabasco bottle out of the lunch box, and took a swig from it.

That gave the game scout and trackers a good laugh too.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muletrain:
How about duct tape to pull the spines out. Press the tape over the area and pull it off along with the spines.

That may work for you hairless wonders, but those of us with a bit of pict or neanderthal in our recent ancestry would rather put up with the buffalo beans than strip fistfulls of hair using duct tape! Just carry a tea bag for the buffal beans and some alkali for the blister beatles...and some oxycodone for when you sit down on the loo for a late night ED and find that there is a parabuthus scorpion hiding under the seat....happened a couple of times at rifa- always in the girls ablutions- worse than smearing a little bit of buffalo bean hairs on the bog roll....

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
One day I swallowed a tse tse fly, and everyone was laughing. We stopped the truck, and I got the Tabasco bottle out of the lunch box, and took a swig from it.

Mopane bees are what I have heck with. They seem to fly right into my mouth when I need to take a deep breath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Duct tape is great for those of Cro-magnon ancestry. Those from the Neanderthal tree would have a problem. I would suggest you trim the area and go for the tape rather than bare the pain. Treat with Preparation H afterwards; just like that new tattoo.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
The things you learn here that you never wanted to know! animal animal

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Never been to Africa (yet) but Elmer's Glue is now used in ER's to extract splinters and such. Goop it on. let it dry, peel it off. Works like a charm.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've stayed away from buffalo bean luckily and from talking to folks that have gotten into it I don't wish to ever get any nearer to it than I've been. I honestly have never heard of a blister beetle but there is a nasty looking SOB in Zambia called a blister cricket. Anybody had an encounter with one of those sweethearts?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
worse than smearing a little bit of buffalo bean hairs on the bog roll....

I would think that is a prank that might end in gunfire.
Eeker

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Very interesting about the beetles. Thanks for the information and photographs.

Apparently, although ingestion of cantharidin can be fatal to humans (ten milligrams is said to be a fatal dose), it does have some, shall we say, bizarre side effects even in lesser doses.

From Wikipedia online encyclopedia:

Cantharidin, a type of terpenoid, is a poisonous chemical compound secreted by many species of blister beetle, and most notably by the Spanish fly, Lytta vesicatoria. The false blister beetles and cardinal beetles also have cantharidin.

Cantharidin was first isolated by Pierre Robiquet in 1810. It is an odorless and colorless solid at room temperature. It is secreted by the male blister beetle and given to the female during the mating. Afterwards the female beetle will cover its eggs with it as a defense against predators. The complete mechanism of the biosynthesis is currently unknown. If cantharidin is ingested, it severely irritates the urinary tract as it is excreted, causing swelling of the genitalia.

I guess that accounts for the reputation of Spanish fly!

Cantharidin is also the "beetle juice" that dermatologists use for removal of warts and tattoos!

Nasty stuff!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
very interesting things here, and good stories! what is the deal with tsetse wings? do they make a person itch or they tickle or what?

Is it picts that were hairy? my ancestry is italian, sicilian, irish, cherokee, spanish, english, seriously a mutt. but majority is italian, sicilian, irish and cherokee. I always wondered where the hair came from. I'm the only one in my family that is a hairy bastard, and a redhead to boot. usually they're less hairy. I went once to have the hair on back waxed. at the time I was in great shape, flat stomach, big muscles but didn't look like just a gym rat, very balanced. so I wanted to go shirtless for the summer. damned if I barely made it through the first session. anybody seen 40year old virgin? yeah, painful.

fortunately now I'm married and have the wife help me with a special "body hair" electric razor thing. I guess i"ll make sure if I ever make it to africa I'm smooth as a baby's bottom first.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Pulling a wing off stops 'em flying away and all they can do is sit wherever they land and gnaw! rotflmo

The best place to do it is in a charter plane where the victim can't move around much to get to the tsetse so they have to sit and be chewed on...... and a tsetse bite feels like someone has stuck a red hot needle into you and hurts like hell. animal

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is wicked! HA Big Grin I'll make sure to never sit in front of you.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gather, you're not talking about these. Big Grin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12339061@N06/4548668123/

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote