New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hippo with a Bow!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The photo below is from my client Brett Valette. He hunted just last week with Pro-Hunt Zambia in the Kafue, where he put two arrows in this hippo with his 86lb Ferguson Long Bow, using 950 grain carbon arrows, and 310 grain Ashby broadheads. Apparently he got penetration all the way to the fletching with both arrows, and that was it. Pretty impressive, hippo on land, with a bow!

BELOW IS BRETT'S EXACT ACCOUNT, SO I STAND CORRECTED ON THE TWO ARROWS, IT WAS ACTUALLY 5.

I put a total of 5 arrows into that hippo..kept shooting till it collapsed. But the first one hit the heart, pumped blood everywhere...and

Richard said I didn't need to even shoot it anymore...but, you know dangerous game, I kept shooting...At one point, the hippo turned to face me,

I was kneeling on the ground about 10 yards from him...then he stumbled and I knew it was over. Scary, exciting, intense!
Richard and Gavin were right behind me with back up rifles...I'm glad they didn't need to shoot.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding, especially when you consider that it was done with a long bow!!! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool..

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Must have been exciting.

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Gavin Robinson did bloody well on that safari and put Brett onto a number of Hippo but could not get in closer than the required 25 yards. This Hippo had fought with Lions and was licking his wounds when they came across him.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
That is very neat. I wonder how many sport hunters have killed a hippo on dry land with a bow, let alone a longbow? Very well done!

Posts: 3917 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't see it happen, but I was in a camp when Steve Kobrine shot a hippo with a bow. It is simply a stunning accomplishment no matter who does it with a bow.

Archie Nesbitt has killed just about everything in Africa with a bow (as has Kobrine). Nesbitt has also killed the rest of the planet. He has got to be the greatest living hunter. Not only did he kill all his stuff with a bow, he made the money it took to do this himself as far as I know.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Very Safi!

Posts: 7 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 11 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I didn't see it happen, but I was in a camp when Steve Kobrine shot a hippo with a bow. It is simply a stunning accomplishment no matter who does it with a bow.

Archie Nesbitt has killed just about everything in Africa with a bow (as has Kobrine). Nesbitt has also killed the rest of the planet. He has got to be the greatest living hunter. Not only did he kill all his stuff with a bow, he made the money it took to do this himself as far as I know.

Steve shot a Roan with me in Luangwa a couple of years ago. Walk and stalk and put an arrow in it's chest at a measured 130 yards.

The above Hippo was shot between shoulder and neck and the broadhead managed to reach the heart!

I am not a bow hunting fan but those who truely have mastered this skill are a class of their own.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

~Ann

Posts: 19564 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know Gary Bogner took one with a bow in Tanzania several years back. I saw it on video somewhere.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a big difference between doing it with a long bow or with a compound bow, as many of you familiar with both, truly understand. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is an impressive accomplishment. However, I do wonder what percentage of bow attempts on hippo or elephant result in wounded and lost, as compared to the same info for rifle hunters. I do know of one cow elephant, one hippo and one baboon that were wounded and lost by a bow hunter on the same safari.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a job well done plain and simple.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
That is very neat. I wonder how many sport hunters have killed a hippo on dry land with a bow, let alone a longbow? Very well done!

Can't imagine its happened very often! Heck, I would just like to shoot one on land with a gun.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Jack Brittingham tried it with a bow and the arrow literally bounced off the hippo. When Jack next appeared on camera, he was toting a double rifle big enough that he could hide in the barrels.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
I shoot both recurve and compound. Hippo with a longbow/recurve is truly a feat. Congrats to the hunter.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SilentT: Me too. (Old Bear Kodiak recurve and Hoyt Raptor compound) tu2 Aaron: I know that Fred Bear killed elephant with a recurve, not sure about hippo, though. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
SilentT: Me too. (Old Bear Kodiak recurve and Hoyt Raptor compound) tu2 Aaron: I know that Fred Bear killed elephant with a recurve, not sure about hippo, though. Big Grin

Ya, that too is impressive!

Brett talked to me several times about the option/chance of getting the hippo on land with his bow. Having hunted this same area many times myself, I really thought it was gonna be impossible. Only because the hippos are back in the Kafue River in a big hurry. Rarely are they out of water during daylight.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Brett deserves to proud of that accomplishment. He picked perfect tackle.
I recently sold my compound and am back to the recurve. Feels good, but I can't imagine closing on a hippo with such gear.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hippo was one of those animals I thought would be "impossible" to kill with a bow due to the problems if getting close enough on land. Sometimes it's nice to be wrong! Dang I'd like a try at something like that, but by the time I've got the money I'll be too old to pull that much weight.

One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
That's on my bucket list for sure!

Oh yea...first time poster...looong time lurker Wink

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Awesome Aaron!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Very cool! Congrats!

Alive

Posts: 17 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote