Mike

Posts: 21682 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Ya gotta write something, I guess.

Tuskless in the thick jess. Separates the men from the boys! Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19361 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

4. Great Cats at Night

6. Florida Gators

Boddington would know better than almost anyone, but the above two really surprised me.

I have never heard of a hunter being killed by a big cat at night(while hunting) and I don't see how gators would be dangerous, unless you were in the water with them.

I think Will may be on to something....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Hunting Florida gators??? Gotta be more to that one....I'm thinkin' "cake" compared to brown bears in the alders.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems difficult to defend. Maybe he was sick at the time.

Polar Bear by dog sled. The bears are fearless and so that alone should place it on the list. But. The forever below zero weather and sleeping on moving ice makes it my most dangerous hunt.

Alligators????

Honestly compared to bongo or dwarf buffalo, I must admit that Mr. B must finally be past it.

SG

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

Not if you have a double .800 that kicks like a mule Smiler

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
If we start taking into account the environment (such as the cold of polar bear hunts) in addition to the threat posed by the quarry itself, that opens a whole new can of worms. I hunted a heavily occupied conservancy in Zim in 2001 which might fit the bill for dangerous even though I was only hunting plains game. Also if one is hunting Pakistan or Iran, that almost certainly makes Florida Gators look pretty tame.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Florida gators must be much more dangerous than Louisiana gators...

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I don't know what Boddington said about chasing tuskless in thick jesse, but the problem in doing so (besides the dangers of the particular elephant you are hunting) is that one seldom finds just one elephant in that stuff.

More than one P.H. I've hunted with has declined to shoot a tuskless in the thick stuff, even though the opportunity presented itself, because having to shoot another elephant in defense was almost an assured (and undesired) event. We either passed the shot and backed out, or waited to see better where the other ladies were (and evaluate the risks) before I was given the go ahead to shoot.

Getting in place for a shot in the jesse is bad enough, but what happens afterwards... that's where the real danger comes...

So... with only enough experience to have an underserved opinion... I agree with the good Colonel, at least as to the first on his list.

But, he ought to walk around my deer lease and look at the 6 foot-long diamond backs some warm openning day day! Ain't nothing like being waist deep in the palmetto bushes, hearing a rattle and not quite knowing what direction it's coming from... just somewhere close and out of sight... Eeker

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The list I presume is a result of getting scared. Only when one gets a good fright does one think that dangerous game is dangerous.

So what encounter scared you most? Maybe Craig got a bad scare from a gator.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19361 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess it would depend on how you hunted the gators. If you jumped in the canal armed only with a knife to kill a 12 footer........

We killed gators In La. with 16 oz. hammers to the head, holding onto a trot line maybe 18 inches from the teeth. Perfect first whack was good. But one cannot "push" a ten foot gator with a string after a bad first whack.......

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm going to read the article, sounds interesting. I dunno but I think bull elephant or bears ought to make the list. But I've only done #1 and #3.

I sure don't understand the Florida gator thing. Unless you drink too much and fall out of the boat I can't see how there is much danger. Heck our wild hogs are far more potentially dangerous I think, because we are in their turf. Unless you are using a speargun and in the water hunters aren't really in the gators' environment. Unlike crocs, I've never read where a gator took someone from a boat.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I agree that "brown bears in the alders" should rank on the list. I have had experience with gators and haven't found them particularly dangerous. Too bad we can't list "black rhino in the thornbush" as a top 5 any longer.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
Polar Bear by dog sled. The bears are fearless and so that alone should place it on the list. But. The forever below zero weather and sleeping on moving ice makes it my most dangerous hunt.
SG

Gotta say, I agree with SG Olds here. Aren't we really talking about the "potential" for danger? As certainly not every hunt, regardless of the species, is dangerous! Having hunted plenty of DG in Africa, and Polar Bear too. I gotta say that IMO, the "potential" for danger is 10 times greater on a Polar Bear hunt, than any African Safari I have ever been on.

First, we were 270 miles via snow-mobile, across the arctic tundra/pack ice, from the closest village. Temps were obviously well below freezing. A single night spent outside shelter would most assuredly spell death. One is not gonna die spending the night in the African bush, heck we've all done that.

Day one found us atop a rocky outcroping glassing across the Gulf of Boothia's permanent ice pack for bears. When suddenly I pointed to the fact that our dog sled was GONE!! Probably 10 miles from camp, and without our dog sled. The look on the guide's face, was honestly freightening. He knew if he did not get the dogs back, we were screwed. There would be no way we could get back to camp on our own. He left me atop that rocky point by myself, as he went looking for the dogs/sled. Luckily, hours later he returned with em both.

Later, we found our bear. As we approached with an out of control dog team, to within 100 yards of the bear. The big boar (9' 5") immediately came directly at us, on a full charge. Only the quick thinking of the guide kept the bear from being on top of us, as he literally cut the dogs loose with his knife. 30 yards from the sled, and me trying like heck to free my gun from the wrapped up/strapped down case, was 10 dogs having a huge fight with a really pissed off polar bear. Fortunately they were all he could handle at the moment, allowing me the time needed to free my gun, and shoot him. (Guide does not carry a gun).

The following day we took 11 hrs to return to the village, as 90% was in a full-out/complete, blinding blizzard. Despite only 3 full days on the pack ice, and my best efforts to conceal every inch of my body. I did get frost-bite on my face, and I still have a small brown spot on my right cheek, from it today.

Although everything turned out just fine, and had I thought any different, I would not have gone. But without question, the over-all "potential" for danger was much greater on this Polar Bear hunt, than any DG safari I have ever done in Africa. Not to mention, it was by far the greatest ADVENTURE I have ever been on as well.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
That's a quaint narrative Aaron but I take it you've never gone mano a mano with a Florida gator. The amount of beer involved alone could kill most men.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to take anything away from folks who have had hair raising encounters with elephants etc but I have to agree with Aaron that adventures in the severe cold can be deadly.

When I moved to Dillingham, Alaska in '82 moose were not thick and caribou hard to find so the easiest way to get a freezer full of meat was to fly out in the winter to where the caribou were concentrated, get dropped off and camp out for 2-3 days. Remeber this was before Satphone so you were completely dependent on bush pilot returning and not getting weathered in.

We were camping out at 20-35 below zero many miles from anything and I promise you without the best of equipment and some survival skills you could die quite quickly. What Aaron is describing is about 5 times more risky than what we were doing. Today I think I'd rather hunt elephant in the jess.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who is bow hunting for polar bear right now...

Not to stir the archery debate and I know nothing about the great bears...

I would assume the guide has a gun in this situation...

But the cold has got to be a major factor like Aaron said...

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
I don't mean to take anything away from folks who have had hair raising encounters with elephants etc but I have to agree with Aaron that adventures in the severe cold can be deadly.

When I moved to Dillingham, Alaska in '82 moose were not thick and caribou hard to find so the easiest way to get a freezer full of meat was to fly out in the winter to where the caribou were concentrated, get dropped off and camp out for 2-3 days. Remeber this was before Satphone so you were completely dependent on bush pilot returning and not getting weathered in.

We were camping out at 20-35 below zero many miles from anything and I promise you without the best of equipment and some survival skills you could die quite quickly. What Aaron is describing is about 5 times more risky than what we were doing. Today I think I'd rather hunt elephant in the jess.

Mark

I agree with Mark 100%. I did a DIY caribout hunt in late Nov/early Dec on the penninsula some years ago. I fell through the ice at 10 below zero. Two night later horrific winds kicked up; I remember praying all night long as I pushed against the wind to keep the poles from breaking (they were aluminum and were trashed after that night). I remember going out with a headlamp to pound the stakes back in. The temp had risen above freezing (it was a Chinook wind) and I knew if our tent ripped open everything would be wet and once the wind was gone, it would get below zero again and we would be in serious trouble.

The next morning, when the wind subsided, they still maxed out my anemometer at 70 mph. It was the most frightening night of my life.

Like Mark said, we had no SAT phone and had been dropped off. There was no way out unless we got picked up by plane.

I still remember how good that steak tasted in Eddie's Fireplace Lounge in King Salmon.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
That's a quaint narrative Aaron but I take it you've never gone mano a mano with a Florida gator. The amount of beer involved alone could kill most men.

yuck

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "beer factor " aside, maybe he was talking about noodling for gators Big Grin

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

Is tuskless like a Lion without teeth?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9953 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[quote]Ya gotta write something, I guess.

Tuskless in the thick jess. Separates the men from the boys![/quote

Will you are correct - I'll add going in after any wounded big game animal in thick stuff!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say the pubs CB writes for sell a lot of magazines in the South. Lots of gator hunters in the South. Gotta identify with your audience.

And IMHO, ANY hunt where extreme weather is a factor is a dangerous affair.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, more like an Abrams tank without bullets - it just runs you down and smashes you into a pulp!

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
quote:

No, more like an Abrams tank without bullets - it just runs you down and smashes you into a pulp!

Do they do trunkless hunts?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somehow he left out chasing Redheads at college.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They left out REDHEADS, anywhere and anytime. I have found them to be challenging, somewhat elusive and extremely dangerous when pissed! I'm lucky I've survived as many encounters with them as I have!

May have to look for a couple more just to ensure that they are as dangerous as I remember! Big Grin

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
My experience is that darting a free range Rhino is about as dangerous as it gets -- I LOVE it!

You get within about 25 yards and then really piss the guy off and let him know exactly where you are by poking him with a big dart. He then has 5-8 minutes to take out his ire on you before the drug takes effect. Fun, fun stuff.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Boddington's article discusses hunting gators at night with a bow. He said that he has a deep seated horror of water he can't see into, like "blackwater" (at night), and anything reptilian. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well as far as the gator hunt goes it all depends if you are the one being trolled as bait. No offense to my friend Craig but you can sure tell he was that part of the Navy real sailors dont talk about. LOL! Brown water by choice, blue water when all else fails. I dont get the most dangerous hunt part thing but we all have our own demons! I dont agree with leopard with hounds either. The more to the party the less chance that the furry buzz saw will have a chance to single you out. Mountain hunts? Um, maybe but mostly from crazy drivers from some country ending in stan and of course the usuall falls from a great height. Ill go with 1,3, and 4 though.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I would have to say lion hunts by tracking.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will say the most dangerous hunt I was on was Brown Bear.

I haven't done a tuskless hunt, but have had close encounters with an elephant in the Jess while trying to find a bushbuck. The .375 seemed awfully small.

Lion hunting with walking up on them is pretty exciting as well.

Follow up on wounded buffalo is up there also.

Late season waterfowling and bloody near sinking the boat by hitting a submerged muskrat house in subfreezing weather 10 minutes from shore will get your attention also.

Anyhow, that's my top 5.

Posts: 10986 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't buy the typical gator hunt at all. I suppose one could dive and try to get them with a knife or something underwater. But the typical gator hunt, no way.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Polar Bear Bow Hunt

I would put this ahead of most of the list.
With African hunts there is a well trained PH with a cannon at your side. This guy had a scared Inuit Guide with a 243 standing 65m behind him.

African hunts are danger on tap, with some potential for disaster dependent on who is with you etc.
With cold and remoteness against you I think that pound for pound the polar bear with a bow is top of the list for danger potential.

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
It is a simple fact that while you are on the ice hunting the white bear, he is busy hunting you (as food). Now that I find exciting!

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Try hunting a 300 pound Euro/Russian boar with only a knife and hounds. You won't be killed but I've seen plenty of men turn white as paper and piss their pants. Cuts are nasty if you don't get immediate and proper care. Doesn't rank high as for death but it will put some white hair on your head.
Hunting big Croc's in the river, in a small plastic boat. Throw in some angry Hippo's. I don't think a bb would have made it up my rear. I would say that's the most intense day of my hunting career; bar Elephant, Lion & assorted charges. Just sayin'....

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. David Keith:
Try hunting a 300 pound Euro/Russian boar with only a knife and hounds. You won't be killed but I've seen plenty of men turn white as paper and piss their pants. Cuts are nasty if you don't get immediate and proper care. Doesn't rank high as for death but it will put some white hair on your head.
Hunting big Croc's in the river, in a small plastic boat. Throw in some angry Hippo's. I don't think a bb would have made it up my rear. I would say that's the most intense day of my hunting career; bar Elephant, Lion & assorted charges. Just sayin'....

I hunted hogs that way in Australia some years ago. Unfortunately, we didn't get any to take up our offer.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who's tried PAC buffalo at night?

You can hear them stampede but can;t tell which way they're going for a verrry long time....

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the pigs I have shot with a rifle are pretty much a blur regardless of trophy quality. The first one I took with a dog and a knife is still crystal clear. I wont put it up there as one of the most dangerous hunts but there is definitely a serious pucker factor. I would have to say that brown bear in the alders and polar bear on the ice flow have to be on the list. In the first case they are top of you before you know it. Having never personally experienced the second all I can say is that when things go south therre is nowhere to run.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Most dangerous?

Alaska. Out there no one can hear you scream.

Seriously the conditions are treacherous and the climate unpredictable. It is truly the worlds last great wilderness and not to be toyed with.

Rather face pussy cats and toothless elephants.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal