THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Dallas in January Friday night AR dinner at DSC convention
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dallas in January Friday night AR dinner at DSC convention
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
Well the time has come to see how many want to attend the Friday night dinner get together. I am leaning to the Pappas BBQ where we met last year.
One goes up and orders and picks up what you want to eat and drink. No lag time for dinner.
Looking forward to meet old friends and make some new AR friends.

Mike

http://pappasbbq.com/locations/

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
What time? I have to pick up my daughter at the airport that evening but would like to go for a bit?

Is this the right one?
2231 West Northwest Highway
Dallas, TX 75220-4304

It's close to the airport and that would be wonderful!

pappas.com

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I'll make it this year.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The time will not be before 6:30pm or 700pm and the guys just sit around and shoot the bull and enjoy the time together. Wives and welcome also.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike: Put me, Joyce, & Ed down for sure ..... FRANK

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Mike: Katherine and I will be there.

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Mike -- will try but may be haveing dinner that night with local friends -- but will see you there/somewhere anyway --
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Please don't base Texas BBQ on Papa's. It is decent, but nothing close to the best. It is a great place to meet with large groups, my Land Cruiser club meets there.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
Please don't base Texas BBQ on Papa's. It is decent, but nothing close to the best. It is a great place to meet with large groups, my Land Cruiser club meets there.

+1
The food is ok but the companey more than makes up for it. I plan on being there. beer
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Pam and I are in where ever it is held. Is this half as good as Papadeaux's?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Mike, has Judge got the right address?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
that is correct... Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I have died and gone to heaven - I have been adopted by Frank & Joyce, now if Frank will just share his guns with his newly adopted son. Big Grin thumb

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed: You & Tim can fight over them after I'm gone.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I'd very much like to make this event for the first time... It would be my wife and I for sure and possible my team that I will have at the show...DAN

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome Dan plenty of room at the BBQ joint!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike

I will be there.

Kind regards,

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1334 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
food did someone mention food Big Grin tell me where and god willing I'll be there.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Scott it is across the street from Pappadeaux's

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Shawn Massey
posted Hide Post
My Wife and I are plannning on being there!

If you or Tony can spare a round of 450#2 I would like to purchase one for my collection!

DRSS Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun!"

Posts: 203 | Location: South West Kansas | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lord willing and the Creeks don't have an uprising, Jane and I will be there

One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Beller:
Ed: You & Tim can fight over them after I'm gone.

Ed,

He will probably be pissing on our graves while placing another order with Searcy!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a bummer. I cancelled my trip today to DSC over several disturbing things that came up. First my PH from MOz. was told several months ago he had booth space, two weeks ago they informed him a mistake was made and there was no room left. What kind of group operates this way? DSC I guess? Called the Comfort Inn today to check up on the reservation I had made several months ago (confirmed) and was informed it had been canceled. WTF, if these people are this screwed up that they cancelled my reservation for who knows what reason, what else is possible? So I called Delta, cancelled my airline reservation(cost me $90) to back out. Glad I did, since I would have arrived at the Comfort Inn and wouldn't have had a room.

Called SCI, made my Show, Air and Room reservations for Reno, no hassels, no problems, so will be going there instead.

Was really looking forward to meeting a bunch of you at DSC, oh well maybe some other time?

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Larry, the DSC moved to a larger convention center and I can't believe they are sold out of space.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim, I heard that!

Larry I agree with Mike it just doesn't make sense as they have moved to a much bigger venue. The Comfort Inn suprises me and I will re-confirm ny res. Sorry we won't get to raise a few.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be there again this year.

Wayne

Posts: 1241 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Mike, I'm also planning to attend.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Mike,
We (2) will be there. FYI: one of my clients called Comfort the other day and booked the last room available. I had already reconfirmed my room but Larry's situation is a curve from left field.
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I hope to make it up there.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Now you've got me wondering about the room issue-- anybody have the phone # handy? -- think I better call and confirm
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
What a bummer. I cancelled my trip today to DSC over several disturbing things that came up. First my PH from MOz. was told several months ago he had booth space, two weeks ago they informed him a mistake was made and there was no room left. What kind of group operates this way? DSC I guess? Called the Comfort Inn today to check up on the reservation I had made several months ago (confirmed) and was informed it had been canceled. WTF, if these people are this screwed up that they cancelled my reservation for who knows what reason, what else is possible? So I called Delta, cancelled my airline reservation(cost me $90) to back out. Glad I did, since I would have arrived at the Comfort Inn and wouldn't have had a room.

Called SCI, made my Show, Air and Room reservations for Reno, no hassels, no problems, so will be going there instead.

Was really looking forward to meeting a bunch of you at DSC, oh well maybe some other time?

Larry Sellers

Larry, maybe its a conspiracy on the part of everyone in Dallas to make sure you abide by your earlier commitment...

quote:
I have attended SCI for the last 14 years and have never been to DSC. As I posted sometime, somewhere else, I simply won't attend any type of convention held in Dallas. As a hunter I just have no "real interest" in going to a "hunting show" in any BIG city.

I have friends who have attended both shows and based on their reports of DSC, would have to agree with BillQ, that it is indeed a lot smaller, a lot more expensive and just not my cup of tea. I have no doubt that it is well run and all that.

You really can't/shouldn't compare these two shows as they have too many differences. SCI is for members only, DSC lets anyone and everyone attend. SCI has a vastly larger membership than DSC does. SCI has approx.75% more exibitors than DSC. Most of the better known exhibitors are at SCI, DSC has some of them, but also a lot of "local" booths as well. SCI provides transportation to and from the Show via a very efficient bus system, DSC you are on your own (cab, rental car etc.).

Not knocking DSC, it seems they do a good job for a smaller, local Club, just for my money I feel I get a lot more from the SCI Show. Simply attend the one you want or both and be glad we have these great venues to fuel our passions.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally received written confirmation, we have the meeting room for Sat night. With that said we can still over flow into the lobby as long as we keep our normal peaceful decorum and not too many double rifles passed around the lobby. Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest - That thought did indeed run cross my mind. I still stand by the comments from back then, but all the great folks on AR convinced me I should give DSC a try. It's unfortunate this all played out in this manner as I was truly looking forward to going to DSC this year. I still don't like Dallas and other big cities, but was willing to overlook that fact and have a go at it. Still a big mystery how my reservation at Comfort got canned? Maybe someone who knew I was coming, called and made the cancellation for me???

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:

Larry Sellers

Larry, maybe its a conspiracy on the part of everyone in Dallas to make sure you abide by your earlier commitment...

quote:
I have attended SCI for the last 14 years and have never been to DSC. As I posted sometime, somewhere else, I simply won't attend any type of convention held in Dallas. As a hunter I just have no "real interest" in going to a "hunting show" in any BIG city.

I have friends who have attended both shows and based on their reports of DSC, would have to agree with BillQ, that it is indeed a lot smaller, a lot more expensive and just not my cup of tea. I have no doubt that it is well run and all that.

You really can't/shouldn't compare these two shows as they have too many differences. SCI is for members only, DSC lets anyone and everyone attend. SCI has a vastly larger membership than DSC does. SCI has approx.75% more exibitors than DSC. Most of the better known exhibitors are at SCI, DSC has some of them, but also a lot of "local" booths as well. SCI provides transportation to and from the Show via a very efficient bus system, DSC you are on your own (cab, rental car etc.).

Not knocking DSC, it seems they do a good job for a smaller, local Club, just for my money I feel I get a lot more from the SCI Show. Simply attend the one you want or both and be glad we have these great venues to fuel our passions.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Di & me will be there too

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
There is still plenty of room for more friends at dinner...

Mike

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'll be there until I have to go to the airport for my daughter.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello All

Count me in, I have to look after Karl and Charl otherwise they will misbehave

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how late do these things go on? We normally attend the banquets, but, would like to stop by afterwards. We usually do not stay for the entire auction.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
At this point in time, Larry01, his girl friend, my wife and myself will be there....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bryan, you just have to pick one banquet or the other, the rich folk or we po folk we do the $7.95 special and eat with our fingers, eh. hilbily Big Grin dancing