THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Sam and Rosemary Pancotto Family Trophy Photographs (Many Large Files)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sam and Rosemary Pancotto Family Trophy Photographs (Many Large Files)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
Kathi Klimes and her husband, Rick, were given these photos by Sam Pancotto, along with permission to post them on AR.

Kathi sent them to me and requested that I scan and post them.

Needless to say, doing that has been a real pleasure!

For those who don't know of the Pancottos, Sam and his wife, Rosemary, have hunted the world and have taken many, many rare and superb trophies.

In particular, many 100 pound elephant. These are mostly African animals, although there are a few photos of Sam's Asian sheep trophies that are simply amazing.

Perhaps Kathi can chime in with some more information.

Enjoy!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Thanks to both of you. Those are really interesting old photos.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mrlexma,

Thank you for taking the time to post these old photos. I love the picture of Marilyn (Sam's daughter) with her "honeymoon elephant", she still has her manicured fingernails from the wedding!!!

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9372 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Eeker

Fabulous pictures and trophies!

Thanks to you, Kathi, and the Pancotto family.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much!
Fantastic pictures!
All the best wishes and greetings to the Pancottos !!!

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Amazing, thanks ! Andrew Holmberg guided Sam and his wife to 3 elephants over the magical 100 pound mark on 1 safari ! !

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely fantastic!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Truly awesome photos. Wish i was there.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
A pair of lions like that with a double rifle!!!!!!! I'm going to have to find a towl to wipe up all the drool!!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kathi and mrlexma. The old pics are amazing, what a life.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Thank you MR and Kathi for posting these outstanding photos, it again makes me wish that I could have hunted Africa in the 1950’s.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting these amazing photos. Some great elephants and I really like the two lion photo.

Thanks,

Greg

Posts: 201 | Location: Sonoma, California | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply Outstanding Pics !!!!

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of john e
posted Hide Post
Quite nostalgic and extremely tasteful in presentation. Thanks for sharing.

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do" -- Invictus

Posts: 440 | Location: south texas | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . just one of those elephant, that's all I ask, just one . . .

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Posts: 21227 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much to everyone involved in this topic and special thanks to the Pancotto family for sharing these fantastic pictures with us !!!!

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a treat. I loved them all, but that photo with the camel as a pack animal for ivory - way cool!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
A time that will never return. What years are these photos from?

Thank you

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check this out. Unbelievable trophies from a not so distant past. Look at Trophy Room Photos and the title Tell me about this trophy room. My favorite post on AR.

quote:
Originally posted by Rembrandt1:
A friend stopped by and showed me an old photo album of a remarkable trophy room. Album was amoung some old books his father had collected. I have all 4 volumns of Safari-Press's "Great Hunters & their Trophy Rooms", but have not seen this collection featured. From the looks of the furniture and room I'm guessing these were taken in the 1960-70's.

(Edited) Sorry guys, I removed the photos...since posting this it's now believed the trophy room owner is not deceased. Out of respect to the privacy of the owner I think it would be best not to post these unless he wishes to do so. If there is some way to contact him and receive permission, I'd be happy to put them back up. Hope you understand....Thanks, Rembrandt.

Edit update: Have had several people contact me about reposting these photos, sounds like the collection has been dispersed and no longer exists as it once did. A truly amazing collection and a tribute to a great hunter.

Simply amazing.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
404WJJeffery,

The 60's and 70's, prior to Kenya closing hunting. Marilyn's elephant is from 1975. The Marco Polo is from 1988, and the High Altai Argali is 1989.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Those trophies and of course the photos are outstanding!

Anyone have any details about the one involving the camel? I don't recall seeing any other "modern" photos of camels being used.

Very cool!!

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Camels were used in the Northern Frontier District of Kenya, as these were foot safaris.

There is a great story and photos about Sam and Rose in Andrew Holmberg's book "Out in Africa".

There are other hunts and photos of Holmberg using camels on safari.

An excellent book with fantastic photos.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
simply incredible. What a hunting career mr. Pancotto and family

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam and Rosemary Pancotto are in a league by themselves,what they have done will never be duplicated, they are a piece of history in the hunting world,they are five star people and great friends,God Bless them both..............

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
I can't even imagine how trips like the above were set up in the days before the Internet and safari shows

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sitting here trying to add up the amount of adventure that is hanging on those walls. Wow!

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
Camels were used in the Northern Frontier District of Kenya, as these were foot safaris.

There is a great story and photos about Sam and Rose in Andrew Holmberg's book "Out in Africa".

Kathi, I looked at Holmberg's book this evening, and that very photo, of Sam Pancotto with the camel loaded down with over 200 pounds of ivory, is one of those featured in the book.

I would love to have been able to hunt the N.F.D. in Kenya.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted Hide Post
Where can I find this article from saga magazine?

I bagged the Big 5 in 7 days by Sam Pancotto

The Nickudu link is down. Can anybody repost the story?

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I think the Nikudu files are no Nitro Express forums.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted Hide Post
Thank you Brett! Couldn`t find anything over there about the Pancottos.

Nobody saved this article?

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dentist:
Thank you Brett! Couldn`t find anything over there about the Pancottos.

Nobody saved this article?

Did you send a PM to Nickudu at NitroExpress or here?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted Hide Post
Thanks, no, I´m not a member of the nitroexpress forums and I believe Nickudu is away from AR (?) I just thought somebody had saved the pdf.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dentist:
Thanks, no, I´m not a member of the nitroexpress forums and I believe Nickudu is away from AR (?) I just thought somebody had saved the pdf.

You could check with Kathi and I will try Nickudu.

One of Us
Picture of Dentist
posted Hide Post
Thank you Charles! Good idea.

One of Us
Picture of TMTAXIDERMY
posted Hide Post
Sure enjoyed the pics, thanks for sharing!

Posts: 138 | Location: Dardanelle, Arkansas | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Fantastic photos !
Take note of the "classic" safari footwear Sam is wearing in a lot of the photos... Wink

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It makes a guy speechless...

Thanks for the peek.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:

Kathi, I looked at Holmberg's book this evening, and that very photo, of Sam Pancotto with the camel loaded down with over 200 pounds of ivory, is one of those featured in the book.

I would love to have been able to hunt the N.F.D. in Kenya.

You can still do Camel Safaris in this same area, but unfortunately not hunting. Frowner

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote