THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    "I Bagged the Big 5 in 7 Days" - Article Added

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"I Bagged the Big 5 in 7 Days" - Article Added
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
While preparing for our Chicago Chapter Fundraiser on March 3rd, I found an April 1969 issue of Saga Magazine in an old box. The issue contained a story by one of the Chicago Chapter founding members Sam Pancotto "I bagged the Big 5 in seven days". Sam hunted in East Africa with Stan Lawrence-Brown and took a 136 pound per tusk elephant, 43 inch buffalo, big maned lion, 7 foot 4 inch leopard, and a black rhino in seven days of hunting.

After reading this story, I was wondering how many people go to Africa to take the Big 5 or Big 6 (Hippo) in one trip or do most hunters in today's Africa make multiple trips?

If anyone is interested in reading Sam's story,send me a P.M. and I will fax the story to you.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent. Thanks.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't think of many more things that I don't want to do in life. Taking all of the big five in 7 days just short changes you on the African experience. The most important part of a safari for me is being in Africa as many days as I can afford and workng hard to get the trophies I want. It seems like I can remember few of the animals I have killed easily but the best memories are those that I had to work hard for. The longer and harder the hunt is, the more the satisfaction.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Sam Pancotto was not short-changed.

I don't know how many total days he spent on safari in Africa, but I would wager it was several months, if not a year or more.

I have killed four out of the six on one safari. It was unbelievable fun.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Sam Pancotto was not short-changed.

I don't know how many total days he spent on safari in Africa, but I would wager it was several months, if not a year or more.

I have killed four out the six on one safari. It was unbelievable fun.

To each his own! I just gave my opinion with no attempt to force it on or even sell it to others.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
37 Safaris

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Hey, 465, no problem!

I was merely pointing out that Sam Pancotto was not a flash in the pan nor a man to rush through things. He took more than his share of 100 pound elephants in his day, and spent much time doing it.

But his five in seven days goes to show that hunting luck can come in spurts, and I would suggest that one should take it when it comes, because it can leave and stay away a long, long time!

In my case, BTW, something less than twenty one days were required. Not all were easy either, although some were.

Bottom line is, I agree with you that rushing through the experience, with only the goal of how many you can kill in mind, is not the way to do it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted for four of the big five on two safaris but could not connect on a leopard or lion on either.

No tried for black rhino or hippo.

It wouldn't have dented my experience at all to have bagged a lion, leopard or both on either trip!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just read it. Great story and nothing wrong with it to me. Experiencing what the author did myself certainly wouldn't spoil anything for me. I got very lucky on my first plainsgame hunt and it hasn't diminished my desire to return even knowing full well those trophies will be hard to match, much less beat. It's all about the experience for me. Not just winning.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Such a hunt is a true stroke of luck as it sounds like Sam shot some VERY respectable trophies that no one here would have passed up.

I had a sort of lucky hunt in 2005, I shot hippo, leopard and ele (though tuskless) on a seven day hunt. The hippo was the hardest hunted, they were difficult. The ele cow was on the first morning, again, luck to find a herd with a suitable cow that fast.

The next day WE were hunted repeatedly by a tuskless matriarch.

The leopard was taken the following afternoon after setting a bait near where we found his track in the Zambezi River sand. To me that was pure luck, a leopard in one day!

If there were buffalo left on license I could have shot my choice of three big dagga boys that we boxed in a canyon along the Chewore River. Those bulls knew they were busted, you should have seen their faces. I put the scope on them all and dreamed. So I guess I can count them too? Smiler

I shot some other game during that short time and a week later took a 63 inch kudu at another property.

I doubt I could repeat that hunt again.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one can repeat what Sam Pancotto did, the man is a Legend..........

posted Hide Post
Hi Ann ... nice to see you! Smiler

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sam Pancotto is a gentleman. He recently donated all his trophies harvested in hunts over more than 30 years to a university in the Chicago suburbs. When the young turn increasingly anti hunting, these trophies should light a spark of interest in their minds for the outdoors. People like Mr PAncotto should be commended for their service to the outdoor sports.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
From Kathi Klimes:

I Bagged the Big 5 in 7 Days by Sam Pancotto

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,

Thank you for posting the story. I was inundated with requests for the fax. Once again,thank you.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

posted Hide Post
Glad to be of help Kathi. I thank you for your efforts and a prime vintage hunting article.

I hope you can find more! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Many Thanks Nick, and Kathi. clap

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VERY nice of you to find it and share with us. Thanks.

Political correctness entails intolerance for some prejudices but impunity for others. James Taranto

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote