THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Jumbo : 100 Pounder shot in Tanzania !
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jumbo : 100 Pounder shot in Tanzania !
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Game Scouts killed a 100 pounder (47/48 kg and 225 cm long) Jumbo in the south western part of the country. See details (german) and photo under http://www.jww.de

g.
seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Please forgive my poor English, I quickly translated the article .

Game scouts shot a hundredpounder in Tanzania down.

Game scouts shot a hundredpounder in Tanzania down.

With 4 shots from a rotten 458 2 game scouts in Tanzania shot a hundred pounder.
Says the game department, the ivory is 47 and 48 kg, 225 cm , girth 50 cm (20 inches)

The drama took place in a overpopulated zone in the Sout-east of Tanzania along the border with Mozambique in the Mbinga district. No one could remember any elephant presence until a morning the old bull was seen in cornfield in the village Ruhehe.

Immediately the inhabitants crowded the place and the youngsters threwe stones to the animal. A 19 years old young man, Lazaro Ndungur climbed a small tree and hit the bull with a skittle onto the skull when he managed to climb close enough. The disturbed elephant picked the boy with his trunk, smashed him along the tree and stamped on him.

Four days later, the ele was shot down, after he had time to cause much havoc in the crops. For 20 years, no one of the thousands of hunters in Tanzania had got a hundredpounder.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Jean,

Thanks for the translation - You're German is obviously a lot better than mine - I was really struggling with it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto shakari, thanks. Big news! thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the translation. Maybe it wandered over from Moz?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a terrible waste of a fine animal.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In MHO any elephant killed is a terrible waste of a fine animal if NOT killed for theses reasons

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wynwood:
In MHO any elephant killed is a terrible waste of a fine animal if NOT killed for theses reasons

I did not know you were anti-hunting until now.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wynwood:
bewildered

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
me an anti surely you jest! I just have MHO of elephant hunting other than cropping problem animals.
Same goes for a few other animal species but like I said those are MHO.
why is it everytime you post your are trying your hardest to start trouble?????????????

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe were all tired of your constant BS Wyn...You have been proven a troll

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Game Scouts killed a 100 pounder

could'a been worth alot of money to someone

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That's a big elephant. Too bad it couldn't have been taken by a hunter.

Did you notice it required "4 shots from a rotten .458" to kill him?

Either something has been lost in translation, or the Winchester ammo is acting up again. Big Grin

Edited: Just looked at the original German--not a "rotten .458"--but a .458 repeating (or magazine) rifle. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I see what wynwood is saying, it's a shame that scouts killed this animal, it would have been so much better if a AR member was standing with these 100 pounders!

A real waste of a fine animal!!!! Frowner

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Someone should tell the two game scouts they just missed out on a $1 million tip.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
Someone should tell the two game scouts they just missed out on a $1 million tip.

Yes, I have heard the story that the tip is still out there waiting. I would love to tell the game scouts and see the expression on their faces! bawling bawling

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Now why did that big guy hide till next July 24 when I go to Tanzania...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anytime a bull like that is shot as a problem animal then the govt is not doing its job. They could of had a legitimate hunter in there within 24 hours who would have payed for that bull.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on whos child gets stomped to death eh what?

Hundred pounder or not, they did what they had to do...they did what anyone worth his salt would do, they protected their own.

Amazes me how some of you come to such conclusions, like the life of black Africans has no value what so ever..Well I have been amonst them and find most are pretty good folks just like you and me...

Based on that I consider this thread a crock of bull by folks that have little or no knowledge of Africa, or just don't give a shit!...or those that have a prejudice towards black Africans, and I fall into that prejudice trap from time to time, but in the end, I know a lot of good bush africans.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Wellllllllll...this thread went down the crapper pretty quickly.

Still nice looking ivory. And it helps keep the dream alive for those fortunate enough to be able to hunt elephant.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muletrain,

I agree! Just the idea that there could be a 100 pounder out there when you are in the bush is almost too delicious to contemplate.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Immediately the inhabitants crowded the place and the youngsters threwe stones to the animal. A 19 years old young man, Lazaro Ndungur climbed a small tree and hit the bull with a skittle onto the skull when he managed to climb close enough. The disturbed elephant picked the boy with his trunk, smashed him along the tree and stamped on him.

Ray,

What ever you think of the locals, in this case they don't strike me as being particularly bright, especially our intrepid tree climber Roll Eyes

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Yes it's a shame that the villagers were hurt/harassed/killed, and it's a shame that the elephant was shot by game scouts w/o benefitting the local economy and/or conservation...but it is GREAT to think that there was at least one 100-pounder out there, passing his genes on.

Thanks for posting! Smiler

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,
No they arn't particularly bright for the most part, they are uneducated, still of the bush, but they are as much a part of Africa as the elephant they killed...Could they have made some "big money" off the elephant, certainly, but at the expense of many more deaths and the loss of their food supply as it would probably taken forever in red tape done that way, and they are a people that live from one day to the next with no thought of tomarrow or of conservation, you see it is their land, we have just borrowed it and with that we brought our way of thinking, which conflicts with their sence of survival, the boy in the tree was a brave man willing to sacrifice his life so he and others could eat, and that elephant probably fed that village for quite some time, and I have no clue what happened to the tusks but I am sure some black politician has them, you see politicians are the same all over the world and like us the like money above all else.

Now I will get off my soap box, but I consider the black African a part of Africa, as I do those white folks that live and survive there,and we are only visitors and have little right to judge them...Surly they have as much right to that elephant as some fat cat who wants to hang the tusks on HIS wall, and call himself a sportsman at the expense of human life....

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Ray on this count...100 pound ivory or not, if the beast is killing people, it should be shot immediately. Then cut up and eaten or thrown to the dogs. It makes me think about all the glamorous kodiak brown bears that are attracked to small villages...people tolorate them when they can, but if one threatens an elder or a child, or hurts or kills one of them, the entire village goes out with their .223s, .30-06s and .375s and shoots the offending bastard. I was told of a similar accound in Larsen Bay on Kodiak this past winter...a large dangerous animal hurting or threatening or killing people is not a trophy, it is a menace to be shot, and nothing more. An elephant or bear is not worth any human life and I would happily shoot any bear that tried to hurt any of my dogs and turn the beast over to the state.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Ray, I'd say for sure get right on down off of your soap box.

Dead is dead. And rightly so. But $ is $ and much was lost on this misadventure and a dumb assed move is a dumb assed move and that was clearly made here. No disrespect intended and none, I would think, felt, by any thinking African. We all come, after all, no matter what our color or hue, with varying numbers of brain cells.

That's not prejudice. That's simple logic and life experience, as well as simple dollars and cents--and a wee bit of simple calling 'em as I sees 'em.

I'll say it again and mean it again: It's a damned shame that big boy wasn't shot by a hunter.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen Ray.....I would much rather a local game scout defend his people now(regardless of the ele's size) rather than waiting for another ceo hero-hunter to pop in and shoot him. After all, it is their lives at stake, and that's worth a helluva lot more than money, even to a poor african.

Now, if they could have just convinced him to go back in his den until '07, we'd all be happy! Big Grin

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
Well spoken Ray. thumb

Hamdeni

quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Pete,
No they arn't particularly bright for the most part, they are uneducated, still of the bush, but they are as much a part of Africa as the elephant they killed...Could they have made some "big money" off the elephant, certainly, but at the expense of many more deaths and the loss of their food supply as it would probably taken forever in red tape done that way, and they are a people that live from one day to the next with no thought of tomarrow or of conservation, you see it is their land, we have just borrowed it and with that we brought our way of thinking, which conflicts with their sence of survival, the boy in the tree was a brave man willing to sacrifice his life so he and others could eat, and that elephant probably fed that village for quite some time, and I have no clue what happened to the tusks but I am sure some black politician has them, you see politicians are the same all over the world and like us the like money above all else.

Now I will get off my soap box, but I consider the black African a part of Africa, as I do those white folks that live and survive there,and we are only visitors and have little right to judge them...Surly they have as much right to that elephant as some fat cat who wants to hang the tusks on HIS wall, and call himself a sportsman at the expense of human life....

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Just out of interest //

In Zambia if a Lion or any other predetor is harrasing villiagers and causing death then ZAWA will issue a permit for either a local licenced Outfitter or even their own ZAWA game scouts to take out the offending animal.

We have on occasion ouselves been visited by a local ZAWA game scout whom is under firepowered to assist with these dangerious events, it could be a buff or other animal that has been caught in a snare, wounded by poachers, or just old and grumpy like RAY & ME and it has to be taken out for the safety of others.

Yes sometimes the local african is perceived as dumb stupid and the likes by us white people whether we are born in Africa or not ... BUT let me tell you when it comes to the bush and survival skills they will leave us all for dead guys, never forget that .... A lot of things we do are perceived to be DUMB by the local africans as well, so if the cap fits then we must wear it. The easiest thing in the world is to be an ARMCHAIR critic, but when the chips are down and we are confronted with immenient danger then the true character is exposed shame

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ray & Peter et al but I'll also point out that it's a lot easier in theory to find a client for this kind of hunt at short notice than it is in practice. There's plenty of guys who will tell you if you get a special deal I'll come at short notice - but when you contact them and say you've got 3 days to get on a plane it's another story.......... Wink

The same often goes for short notice cancellations.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I guess it depends on whos child gets stomped to death eh what?

Hundred pounder or not, they did what they had to do...they did what anyone worth his salt would do, they protected their own.

Amazes me how some of you come to such conclusions, like the life of black Africans has no value what so ever..Well I have been amonst them and find most are pretty good folks just like you and me...

Based on that I consider this thread a crock of bull by folks that have little or no knowledge of Africa, or just don't give a shit!...or those that have a prejudice towards black Africans, and I fall into that prejudice trap from time to time, but in the end, I know a lot of good bush africans.

Not long ago Atkinson was on his soap box proclaiming how Africa is always Africa and the 'natives' are so barbaric they will always be at each other. As long as he could hunt and make money he was OK.

Has the direction of the wind changed again?

Back on topic, what a magical thing to come out of the bush of Africa. A almost legendary (today) 100 pounder tusker. They are out there I have photographs of another almost there shot a few years ago as well.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes sometimes the local african is perceived as dumb stupid and the likes by us white people whether we are born in Africa or not ... BUT let me tell you when it comes to the bush and survival skills they will leave us all for dead guys, never forget that

Peter,

Please, please don't try to tell me that the actions of our intrepid tree climber don't fall in the catogory of "dumb"?

Ray,

Had the locals not harassed this ele, I doubt anyone would have been killed, and the animal could have been shot as a crop raider..Whether by a paying hunter or game scout is another issue, but the tree climber died largely because of his own stupidity regardless of his race, colour or creed...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Had the locals not harassed this ele, I doubt anyone would have been killed,

No offense, it's hard to live without eating.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel that some of us in this thread are placing a higher value on the life of a native African than the native Africans themselves do. Shouldn't we respect the local African customs and mores with regard to valuing human life?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
can hardly believe that post! Yes indeed this is out of one of the "real hunters" here. Wyn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
I agree with Ray & Peter et al but I'll also point out that it's a lot easier in theory to find a client for this kind of hunt at short notice than it is in practice. There's plenty of guys who will tell you if you get a special deal I'll come at short notice - but when you contact them and say you've got 3 days to get on a plane it's another story.......... Wink

The same often goes for short notice cancellations.

I agree, shakari, but speaking as one who has broken off a hunt in one area to go after and kill a spectacular problem animal hundreds of miles away, I must say that it can be done. The odds are long, but it can be done.

How many elephant hunters do you suppose are in the Selous right now? How many would trade the entire bag of a 21 day safari for a decent chance at a 100 pound elephant? All I am saying is that it would have been better for everyone if the Ministry had placed some calls to outfitters in the Selous before sending the game scouts after this big boy.

I do understand the satisfaction these scouts must have felt at killing this marauder. But because of this outcome, no trophy fees or other revenues were generated. And of course those magnificent tusks are government property.

Maybe that's how it would have worked out even if the Ministry had tried to find a hunter to shoot this elephant. All I am saying is that it's a shame no effort was made and that a hunter couldn't be found to take him.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We might consider things a little differently if we had to live in the Africans shoes. Imagine that you own a maize field of 2 to 5 acres in size and that you, your wife and kids survival depended on that crop. You can't count on the government bailing you out if your crop fails. An elephant or herd of buffalo come in and destroy your crop in 3 or 4 nights of raiding. Would you stand back and let the elephants raid or try to stop them, knowing that there is some danger in doing that? If you couldn't drive the eles out and you had a rifle would you kill one to protect your crops? I suspect we would do what we had to, to protect our families.

I have been hunting crop raiding elephant the past two years and have derived more satisfaction from that then from trophy hunting.

As to using a safari client to handle the problem, I consider that to be preferable as a client and his PH are in most cases more qualified to handle the problem then the local game scouts and some dollars are generated back to the local farmers. But that isn't always possible as a recent post here showed when a client and PH turned down helping to rid the area of a crop raiding elephant when requested to by local game scouts. I suspect that they had good reasons for turning down the request but don't know since the reasons were not given.

CHEERS!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by farktoof:
quote:
Had the locals not harassed this ele, I doubt anyone would have been killed,

No offense, it's hard to live without eating.

I don't understand your point. What does eating have to do with the natives harrasing the ele? Or are you thinking the guy in the tree was going for a brain shot with the skillet (skittle)? Big Grin
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is great news, who cares how he was killed. Think about the possibilites of his other close relatives #110 lbs?? Who knows not how many giants are left, not the biologist or the best PHs in the world. That is the real glory of it all. LOOK UP!

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
I feel that some of us in this thread are placing a higher value on the life of a native African than the native Africans themselves do.

WOW! Again you amaze me, sir. I wasn't aware that "native Africans" were so nonchalant about their lives. I'll certainly keep that in mind the next time I see one trying to cross the roadway in front of me! Wink
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote