THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What did you bring back from Africa to eat?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you bring back from Africa to eat?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I brought back a jar of honey and a bag of Red label Pearlenta Sadza(mealie meal) I bought in a Zim supermarket.Both where delicious.I thought I might get some ideas for the next time around-whenever that may be.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
What food can I bring through customs?

Many prepared foods that are unopened and commercially labeled are admissible (excluding meats and meat products).

You may bring bakery items and most cheeses into the United States.

As a general rule, condiments, vinegars, oils, packaged spices, honey, maple syrup, coffee, fish, tea, and baby formula are admissible.

I was able to bring in some spices that were sealed.

However, The biltong, ostrich eggs, salted fish and some other items were being taken buy customs. I have seen some bags that were being searched by customs and was wondering what were those people thinking.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Didn't you bring back some buffalo cow meat to camp?

clap

Administrator
posted Hide Post
MARMITE!

I always bring several jars of Marmite - in fact, Alan has just arrived here 2 days ago and he brought me some too!

I love Marmite - Ray, and most Americans, hate it!

One told me he thought it was made of rotten hyena guts!

I put enough to taste, add some lemon or lime juice, some Tabasco, boiling water in a large mug.

Absolutely delicious! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I brought back a bag of elephant biltong. I thought it was so nasty that I needed to share it with my friends Big Grin

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crocodile hot sauces from The Lion’s Den on the way to Kariba.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just actually picked this up at a local South African Import store. Been hankering for this on eggs since I left Zim 7 months ago!!!

Posts: 135 | Location: B.C. Canada  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Tuskegee Lager....
The rest I ate while there...

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Amarula !

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Amarula !

That's junk-you can get that anywhere.I need to try it sometime.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Amarula !

I need to pick some up soon. I miss that.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marula jelly!!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

clap

OUCH!!!

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
MARMITE!

I always bring several jars of Marmite - in fact, Alan has just arrived here 2 days ago and he brought me some too!

I put enough to taste, add some lemon or lime juice, some Tabasco, boiling water in a large mug.

You must be part Aussie Saeed...that stuff is disgusting

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some Bain's grain whiskey, some Cruzland gin, and several boxes of rooibos tea bags.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

clap

OUCH!!!

+1

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13400 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I’ve acquired a taste for Monkey Gland Sauce after four trips to Namibia. I serve it with BBQ meats, especially cheeseburgers. I love the sweet and sour taste, plus it brings out many fond memories of past hunts

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biscuits from Mokore Safari camp in the Save.

My Mom liked them and the kitchen staff was very kind to make a large batch to bring back to the us. It lasted for a whole 3-4 months - they made a lot.

I wish I had got some of their chili sauce. They make 2 kinds - red and green and they are both excellent.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
MARMITE!

You lot have no taste for good, wholesome food!

I have friends originally from Africa who have been living in the US for years, visiting.

Yesterday I went to the bakery to get some bread, and got some hot crossed buns for them!

They were over the moon!

A few weeks ago I was introduced to a chef who runs a Michelin Star restaurant.

He was the guest chef, and asked what I wanted to eat.

Conversation went something like this.

"Do you make normal food?"

"Of course! We just make it tastier"

"I know you are going to have to spent a lot of time preparing what these lot are going to eat, so can you just get a T-bone steak, sprinkle some salt and black pepper on it. Put it on the grill, and when the meat is almost as hard as the bone, send it over with a baked potato!"

"Good. I will prepare some nice sauce for you too"

"No thanks. A whole lime sliced in half, and a bottle of Tabasco. That is the perfect sauce for a steak."

"OK. What about dessert? We have a large selection I can prepare for you"

"Do you have vanilla ice cream? Just that and some berries on top. Or melted chocolate"

He was laughing, and took all this in his strides, while everyone was laughing their heads off.

I got my phone out, and showed him photos of our lunch in the bush.

From the just shot klipspringer, to it being skinned, to it being put on the fire, and us eating it with baked beans!

He did prepare my steak perfectly. And our host asked him if he had cooked a steak like that before.

He said "NO!" clap

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
MARMITE!

I have friends originally from Africa who have been living in the US for years, visiting.

Yesterday I went to the bakery to get some bread, and got some hot crossed buns for them!

They were over the moon!

"I know you are going to have to spent a lot of time preparing what these lot are going to eat, so can you just get a T-bone steak, sprinkle some salt and black pepper on it. Put it on the grill, and when the meat is almost as hard as the bone, send it over with a baked potato!"

"No thanks. A whole lime sliced in half, and a bottle of Tabasco. That is the perfect sauce for a steak."

"Do you have vanilla ice cream? Just that and some berries on top. Or melted chocolate"

He was laughing, and took all this in his strides, while everyone was laughing their heads off.

From the just shot klipspringer, to it being skinned, to it being put on the fire, and us eating it with baked beans!

He did prepare my steak perfectly. And our host asked him if he had cooked a steak like that before.

He said "NO!" clap

Cause it is damn insult to good beef to eat is well done Wink

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
quote:
quote:
MARMITE!

They were over the moon!

He said "NO!" clap

Mike

And hyenas eat it raw and rotten too!

Why do you even bother to cook it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
quote:
quote:
MARMITE!

They were over the moon!

He said "NO!" clap

Mike

And hyenas eat it raw and rotten too!

Why do you even bother to cook it!

Just medium rare Big Grin

Mike

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Cheeky Chili. A delicious hot sauce from Zimbabwe.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
Cheeky Chili. A delicious hot sauce from Zimbabwe.

That must be OK.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't brought back anything edible after my Africa hunts but next time coming home from Zim I will try to bring some locally made Peanut Butter. The Zim product is much better and tastier than the China factory produced stuff ( cheap ) most of our supermarkets currently stock here. We do have one excellent NZ brand made from Australian grown ( Queensland ) peanuts which unfortunately is quite spendy. I still buy it however. It's a bit like optics - you get what you pay for !

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2082 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
10lb bag of Peanuts from Burkina Faso. Not a big fan of peanuts, but they are definitely the best peanut I’ve had.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
I’ve acquired a taste for Monkey Gland Sauce after four trips to Namibia. I serve it with BBQ meats, especially cheeseburgers. I love the sweet and sour taste, plus it brings out many fond memories of past hunts

+1

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pili Pili sauce from Tanz. The camp cook gave me an unopened bottle of the green.
Regarding Amarula - last time I drank that stuff, mixed with brandy, woke up wrapped in an elk hide with a couple of small dogs for company. Never again!
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Try www.africanhut.com. A South African grocery store here in the states that can send you many of the goodies you had across the pond!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
A jar of Beefy Bovril. Almost out, which means almost time to go back! Like many things, the attraction is more about what you associate it with than how it tastes ....

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhoro:
A jar of Beefy Bovril. Almost out, which means almost time to go back! Like many things, the attraction is more about what you associate it with than how it tastes ....

This

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are there in the middle of summer (Dec Jan) be sure to get some ripe litchis. You probably can't bring them back but you won't have any left anyway.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Tyler's drinking chocolate. Bought two in Kadoma and will bring back a dozen this year.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
https://www.thecapegrocer.com/...twLDVTUaAtfFEALw_wcB

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Flying back from Namibia two days ago, I brought two giant pieces of German Apple Strudel from the Bakkery in Outjo. I ate them in the middle of the night flying from London to ORD. Not just delicious but fond memories.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote