THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The World's BIGGEST Collection Of Ivory!! Including A 191 Pounder!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The World's BIGGEST Collection Of Ivory!! Including A 191 Pounder!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
That paper is a national disgrace.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
An Article Written By Utter IDIOTS!

"Utter Idiots" is too much of a compliment!

What the writer fails to describe is that the stockpile, is the result of ivory collected over the years, many, many years!

He fails to offer any inside story on the 191 lbs pair of tusks considering one doesn't come across 190 lbs tusk every other day of the week anywhere in Africa! (if I recall, one was slightly shorter and some 10-15 lbs lighter).

Some of you may recall that this elephant was taken by a "rogue game scout" who had become familiar with the bull which resided in the Ruaha National Park; waited for the opportune moment and killed it.

I have had the privilege of handling these tusks shortly after they were brought to the Game Department some 3o years ago but were then kept in a side room away from the pile which over the years to follow grew into what is the current "stockpile".

Unfortunately when morons are given privileged access to warehouses such as this one, the same privilege is misrepresented to suit their own warped purpose.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised they ever let the press in there at all!

I never trust the media an inch and I'd trust the British media even less! Confused

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Simple minded Texan thinking I guess, but somehow I believe if all of the African countries that have such stockpiles of ivory, legal/illegal don't matter would simply dump it all on the open market and drive the price thru the floor.

The animals that ivory came from are long dead and gone. Without poaching, elephants of all ages and sexes die naturally annually.

Probably the majority of the ivory from those animals that die of natural causes is recovered by someone.

To me it just makes more sense to develop a legal market, even if the supply is limited, then to hoard the stuff and keep the black market/poaching forces actively working to supply the demand.

To me and I say this as an uninformed Texan, when Leakey burned all that ivory that time, for some reason I didn't view that as a real intelligent move.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by
To me and I say this as an uninformed Texan, when Leakey burned all that ivory that time, for some reason I didn't view that as a real intelligent move.

But the Kenyan polititians who had their share of the ivory trade cheered and cheered......

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
This was the best part of that article:
"He said the president was willing to burn it, but in return Tanzania wanted roughly £30 million from the international community for an elephant conservation fund. Potential Western donors scoff at that unrealistically high figure."

I guess 30M is too rich for the animal rights money machine. Give me a break! This would not put a dent in their coffers but it would kill a large chunk of their publicity.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Simple minded Texan thinking I guess, but somehow I believe if all of the African countries that have such stockpiles of ivory, legal/illegal don't matter would simply dump it all on the open market and drive the price thru the floor.
The animals that ivory came from are long dead and gone.

Tanzania has been trying to convince CITES to allow them to sell theirs but a number of African member states and conservationists have been aptly able to put the spanner in the works, Kenya being the main frontrunner in leading the veto campaign against TZ.

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

Tanzania has been trying to convince CITES to allow them to sell theirs but a number of African member states and conservationists have been aptly able to put the spanner in the works, Kenya being the main frontrunner in leading the veto campaign against TZ.

Kenyan politicians like ivory supplies to be restricted and unregulated.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

I'm afraid no longer. TZ has publicly stated that they will put their entire ivory stock "beyond any economic use".

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm afraid no longer. TZ has publicly stated that they will put their entire ivory stock "beyond any economic use".

Mich:

You reckon the entire lot is going to end up in the mincer?

I have my doubts. coffee

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Saeed

Thank you for posting this article. I used it today in my 5th grade(10 & 11 year-olds) to teach "conotation/denotation".

The fact that it provided an excellent opportunity to highlight the idiocy of the antis was an added benefit!
Smiler

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Arrrrggggghhh

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
anybody want to give additional insight to the figure stated regarding Selous elephant population: 2006 with 60,000 eles and present day ~13000.

Is this accurate? or yet another blatant lie?

Posts: 254 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justanotherhunter:
anybody want to give additional insight to the figure stated regarding Selous elephant population: 2006 with 60,000 eles and present day ~13000.

From what I understand it's fairly accurate. They've been hammered in the Selous the past few years.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:
quote:
Originally posted by justanotherhunter:

From what I understand it's fairly accurate. They've been hammered in the Selous the past few years.

Really sad but that matches "the word on the street".

Jason

-Jason Brown