Find
Notify
Tools

Photos on Public Platforms
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
And it kicks off in Namibia:

Herewith are the contents of an official letter from the Namibian Ministry of Environment & Tourism signed by the Minister Pohamba Shifeta:

"....requests all hunters with valid hunting permits to refrain from posting photographs of dead animals taken during hunting expeditions on social media.
This practice is not only unethical but also tarnishes the image of the well regulated Namibian hunting industry.
Consequently the Ministry has now introduced a new permit condition, to prohibit hunters with valid permits not to post or send photographs on public platforms but to just take photographs for their own use in their private capacities.
The Ministry kindly requests that this new condition is adhered to at all times."

This directive now also opens the door to prosecution for those hunters who defy the Ministerial order and authorities such as USF&W are likely too pounce on this announcement as a tool for legal action against hunters in the US.

Posts: 2036 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
What an utterly stupid decision!

Instead of facing up to the antis, they are giving in.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68678 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The document appears legitimate.

Maybe they don't realise they don't have anything other southern African countries don't have, so maybe everyone should just give Namibia a miss until they learn.

And I think USF&WS has better things to do than worry about who posted photos from a legal hunt.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ijl:

Maybe they don't realise they don't have anything other southern African countries don't have, so maybe everyone should just give Namibia a miss until they learn.

And I think USF&WS has better things to do than worry about who posted photos from a legal hunt.

I can understand this sort of thing coming fro USFW, an organization far too impressed with their own self importance.

But when it comes from a hunting destination country, it is nothing but utter stupidity - or the antis have taken over!

Posts: 68678 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Everyone is caving in
Before we know it, no export of selective harvest parts and no phones or cameras allowed while hunting
That will finish hunting in Africa as we know it
What a world

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Some of the effects from such postings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lFqrkj2NYg

https://www.change.org/p/aaron...-lions-we-say-enough

https://archives.sfweekly.com/...s-dead-animal-photos

https://www.salon.com/2015/08/..._you_very_seriously/

https://www.boiseweekly.com/bo.../Content?oid=3552965

https://www.forbes.com/sites/d...d-in-king-of-beasts/

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/529735974895292808

https://www.capitalgrio.com/si...affe-is-poacher.html

The boyfriend of a huntress who sparked outrage by posing for photos next to a dead giraffe after Cecil the lion was killed is a convicted poacher, MailOnline can reveal.

Sabrina Corgatelli taunted the world by posting pictures of her ‘trophy kills’ in the wake of the global revulsion around Cecil’s death at the hands of U.S. dentist Walter Palmer.

Telling her haters to ‘bring it on’, Sabrina posted the photo of her draped around a giraffe corpse with the caption: 'I couldn't be any happier!! My emotion after getting him was a feeling I will never forget!!!'

Hunter: In response to the outrage sparked by photos like this one of Aaron Neilson, 43, with the corpse of a lion, he told MailOnline 'Hunting is still the best conservation tool we have throughout much of wild Africa'

Huntress: Sabrina Corgatelli posted this picture of herself with a dead giraffe. It sparked a stream of obscene and disparaging comments accusing her of animal abuse and heartlessness

Proof: Documents from Yuma County court, Colorado, show Neilson pleaded guilty to unlawful hunting of whitetail buck in 1995. He also admitted obtaining a signature by deception and second-degree forgery

Her boyfriend Aaron Neilson is a hunter who has posed with 15 lion kill 'trophies' and helped his clients hunt 'dozens’ more, defends his right to hunt legally.

But MailOnline can reveal that Neilson, 43, a father of one from Colorado, has been convicted of poaching.

Prosecution court papers obtained from Yuma County court in Colorado show he pleaded guilty to unlawful hunting of whitetail buck on private property in 1995.

Then, 23, Neilson also admitted obtaining a signature by deception and second-degree forgery.

His sentence was deferred for 24 months and the court ordered him to pay $1,500 dollars to the Colorado Division of Wildlife’s ‘Operation Game Thief’ – which offers rewards to people who report poachers.

He was also ordered not to hunt or fish in Colorado for two years.

There is no suggestion he has committed similar offences since then.

Neilson, who has been hunting for more than 20 years, claims to have 'developed a reputation in the safari hunting industry as one of the leading experts on the African Lion'.

Wildlife: As this picture shows, not all of the animals Neilson have hunted were in Africa. This image reveals how he persues his controversial passtime in the Arctic

Goading: One Facebook user told Sabrina Corgatelli: 'You could take me hunting anytime'. She is complemented not only on her looks but her hunting skills on social media

'Few agents can match his experience or expertise when it comes to the King of Beasts, or African hunting in general,' a statement on his website, reads.

His pictures prompted fury and led to a 100,000 signature petition calling for him to be banned from visiting some African countries and for his images to be removed from Facebook.

In response Neilson wrote: 'A little something special for my many thousands of Anti-Hunting Fans!

'They currently have three active petitions against me (just google it) apparently hoping numerous African countries will no longer allow me entry?

'Ya right, the guy who shows up with the money - to partake in a legal, ethical and widely supported activity within their country. I'm sure that's gonna happen?'

He posted the message alongside more photos of dead lions, which he told people to 'enjoy'.

In an interview in August, Neilson, who also hosts TV series ‘Trijicon's World of Sports Afield’, told American news channel ABC: 'Hunting absolutely is the only tool right now that’s paying for the vast majority of the wildlife conservation throughout the continent of Africa...

'We might take a small surplus of [lions], but without what we’re doing there won’t be any of them at all.'

This is something disputed by some wildlife organisations, and the idea that trophy hunting benefits animals has been branded a 'fantasy'.

Lion killer: Corgatelli and Neilson (third from right) are pictured posing over a slain lion. Doctor Pieter Kat, director of the charity Lion Aid, said: 'Why anyone would want to shoot a single lion to deliver to a taxidermist is puzzling, but to want to go back time and again to eventually have 15 stuffed lions in their trophy room is incomprehensible'

Bloody: Doctor Pieter Kat, director of Lion Aid, questioned how the actions in these pictures could have anything to do with lion conservation

Doctor Pieter Kat, director of the charity Lion Aid, told MailOnline: 'Aaron Nielsen recently returned from Africa with his 14th and 15th lion trophy safely deposited at the taxidermist.

'Why anyone would want to shoot a single lion to deliver to a taxidermist is puzzling, but to want to go back time and again to eventually have 15 stuffed lions in their trophy room is incomprehensible.'

When confronted by MailOnline on his poaching conviction, Neilson said: 'As you can see it was a big mistake made by a young man in a new area of operation for the first time.

'Like most, I paid my debt to society and learned my lesson in life. To be accurate and factual, I poached nothing - I was not hunting, nor did I even have a hunting licence.'

He said the hunt he joined his girlfriend Miss Corgatelli on in July was inside a private reserve and that the tribal chief had granted permission for them to hunt.

Convicted: Doctor Pieter Kat, director of Lion Aid, believes Neilson has 'no respect whatsoever for wildlife'

Neilson said he has been on anti-poaching patrol in Zambia, adding: 'I've been shot at, I've held poachers at gunpoint, and I've seen the most repulsive example of indiscriminate mass poaching one could imagine.'

He claims 'hunters put their money where their mouths are' and contribute financially to lion conservation in Africa.

'Hunting is still the best conservation tool we have throughout much of wild Africa. In the case of conservation minded hunting - the theory of "sacrificing a few to save the many" is legitimate and working as it has for decades.

'Emotion and irrationality will not save Africa's wildlife. Only money, hard work, and persistence will do so.

'We as hunters want what anti-hunters want too, Africa's wildlife to live on and prosper forever.'

Addressing his hunting of 15 lions, he said: 'No one cares more for, loves or works harder to protect the king of beasts than do I and my hunting brothers and sisters.

Girlfriend: Corgatelli posted this picture of a wildebeest on her Facebook. One of her fans commented: 'That is a very big one young lady that is something to be proud of'

'To me, the lion is the most incredible creature on the planet and nothing I want to see more than his longevity.'

However he added: 'Wild lions don’t have names, they are not friends with Pumba and don’t dance around the campfire with others. They are fighters, they are killers, they have no feelings for the game they hunt and they take no prisoners.

They practice infanticide, and survival is their only goal. Stop humanising a wild animal, humans they are not.'

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
1001: We take and share the pictures, they write the captions.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Hunters are a shrinking minority, especially those hunting the "Mega Fauna", i.e. Elephant/Rhino/Lion/Leopard/Giraffe, and public opinion against that group is only going to continue to grow.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Could it be that hunting reports and trophy pix on certain web based "social media" are more likely to be viewed by persons not friendly to hunting? Facebook for example.

In my experience, such pix on this web site and a few similar sites generate little to no anti
hunting outbursts and are usually well received.

Personally, I have never and will never post my pix of any type on Facebook; period.

Outfitters that use Facebook for their business web presence are asking for more negative response than if they had their own web presence and site where they can exert some control over access and usage.

Food for thought - if butting your head against a brick wall gives you a bloody headache, stop butting your head.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could it be that hunting reports and trophy pix on certain web based "social media" are more likely to be viewed by persons not friendly to hunting? Facebook for example.

That is more of a fact than a "likely", especially if the pictures are of a lion/elephant/rhino/giraffe, or the picture contains a hunter, male or female, grinning like a shit eating dog.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
When is the last time anyone posted a picture from a hunting book, say Ruark or Capstick and it turned into a public frenzy?

You cannot forget that the algorithms that select certain types of posts to show in a users search are based on the image itself and also the browsing history of BOTH users. So, if I like looking at pictures of live kudu, it’s perfectly normal for a picture of a dead one to crop up in my suggested accounts/posts to view. Instagram (which is owned by Facebook) is the best way to see this in action. So, when we post, facebook takes your dead kudu and tosses it in the suggested posts of an animal rights nut simply because the shapes/subject of the image. Take a look at Ivan carter or mike fells Instagram accounts. Most of the posters have NO idea both are PHs because they “found” the image in their suggested searches. It’s simply the software trying to encourage engagement.

1002: we post the pics, they write the captions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong about this, which would be no surprise but in looking and thinking about it, there has been a fundamental shift in the way pictures from 20 years ago or more portray the huntersand their trophies.

Does anyone or has anyone else noticed that?

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
I may be wrong about this, which would be no surprise but in looking and thinking about it, there has been a fundamental shift in the way pictures from 20 years ago or more portray the huntersand their trophies.

Does anyone or has anyone else noticed that?

100%. Again. Get on Instagram. The rise of the social media/instagram hunter is a stain on hunting.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I see no reason to use Instagram either.

Smiler If the Facebook/Instagram world could read a recent post of mine about the wonders of 2-4D for horse pastures, there might be hooded folk with torches at my door. Eeker
No problem tho with farm and ranch folk.

mmm, might be fun with a scatter gun.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Quick tale of woe:

A couple years ago, I posted several photos after my desert sheep hunt on a couple of HUNTING web sites.

Several months ago, my 55-yr-old son was job hunting. He applied to a company and pretty much had the job wrapped up after a discussion with the personnel manager.

Shortly thereafter, the company owner emailed him and told him he had googled his name. He said he wouldn't hire him because he was a hunter.

Sure enough, I googled his name and first thing that popped up were several images from the hunt with him in the photos and listed with the captions.

As soon as he told me, I went to the sites and eliminated all of the images with him or his name included. Did the same if he was mentioned in any related messages. Even with that it took two months before all of the references disappeared.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
Quick tale of woe:

A couple years ago, I posted several photos after my desert sheep hunt on a couple of HUNTING web sites.

Several months ago, my 55-yr-old son was job hunting. He applied to a company and pretty much had the job wrapped up after a discussion with the personnel manager.

Shortly thereafter, the company owner emailed him and told him he had googled his name. He said he wouldn't hire him because he was a hunter.

Sure enough, I googled his name and first thing that popped up were several images from the hunt with him in the photos and listed with the captions.

As soon as he told me, I went to the sites and eliminated all of the images with him or his name included. Did the same if he was mentioned in any related messages. Even with that it took two months before all of the references disappeared.

An excellent point. Which is why I never use my real name on any social media. I control my own narrative...not “them.”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rule only applies if you have a " valid hunting permit ". If you poach then you can post all the pictures you want !

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
This could actually have far reaching implications dependent on whether it's a rule or a law because if it's a law then the USF&WS could probably prosecute under the Lacey Act.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. This is more of a recommendation than a gazetted law.

2. Namibian laws do not have any consequence with American law or it's citizens.

3. It would be economic suicide for the Namibian government to attempt to prosecute an American hunter over posting pictures.

So back to reality - the point should not be wasted. Social media has been the bane of the hunting community. Hunting pictures and videos have only inflamed the nonhunters who are slow to understand and quick to judgement. If one has noticed, the hunting community isn't winning the heart of minds of the masses. With every social media storm over hunting pictures, we lose more ground.

So sure we can pretend this is our right to post pictures and thumb our noses at the nonhunters, but don't be surprised as we lose the political clout to keep our hunting rights.

And I completely agree that anonymity is our best defense from psychopaths and feeding the storm.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I post hunting photos on Instagram, I think of all the photos I have had 3-4 bad comments.

I think educate and showing the benefits with hunting is the only way to go. To be ashamed and hide it - for sure all hunting will go away.

We can argue it all night but education and learning people that have no clue is for me the right thing - I have had school classes come and look in my home and at the same time been educated how animal conservation really works !

Clean respectable photos is at least for me a must.

I have a bunch of people contacted me during the years and many of them no hunters but now started taking the "hunting exam" in Sweden.
I even followed one guy that contacted me last year to Africa for he´s dream safari - all for just posting photos.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The boyfriend of a huntress who sparked outrage by posing for photos next to a dead giraffe after Cecil the lion was killed is a convicted poacher, MailOnline can reveal.

Sabrina Corgatelli taunted the world by posting pictures of her ‘trophy kills’ in the wake of the global revulsion around Cecil’s death at the hands of U.S. dentist Walter Palmer.

Telling her haters to ‘bring it on’, Sabrina posted the photo of her draped around a giraffe corpse with the caption: 'I couldn't be any happier!! My emotion after getting him was a feeling I will never forget!!!'

Hunter: In response to the outrage sparked by photos like this one of Aaron Neilson, 43, with the corpse of a lion, he told MailOnline 'Hunting is still the best conservation tool we have throughout much of wild Africa'

Huntress: Sabrina Corgatelli posted this picture of herself with a dead giraffe. It sparked a stream of obscene and disparaging comments accusing her of animal abuse and heartlessness

Proof: Documents from Yuma County court, Colorado, show Neilson pleaded guilty to unlawful hunting of whitetail buck in 1995. He also admitted obtaining a signature by deception and second-degree forgery

Her boyfriend Aaron Neilson is a hunter who has posed with 15 lion kill 'trophies' and helped his clients hunt 'dozens’ more, defends his right to hunt legally.

But MailOnline can reveal that Neilson, 43, a father of one from Colorado, has been convicted of poaching.

Prosecution court papers obtained from Yuma County court in Colorado show he pleaded guilty to unlawful hunting of whitetail buck on private property in 1995.

Then, 23, Neilson also admitted obtaining a signature by deception and second-degree forgery.

His sentence was deferred for 24 months and the court ordered him to pay $1,500 dollars to the Colorado Division of Wildlife’s ‘Operation Game Thief’ – which offers rewards to people who report poachers.

Neilson, who has been hunting for more than 20 years, claims to have 'developed a reputation in the safari hunting industry as one of the leading experts on the African Lion'.

Wildlife: As this picture shows, not all of the animals Neilson have hunted were in Africa. This image reveals how he persues his controversial passtime in the Arctic

Goading: One Facebook user told Sabrina Corgatelli: 'You could take me hunting anytime'. She is complemented not only on her looks but her hunting skills on social media

'Few agents can match his experience or expertise when it comes to the King of Beasts, or African hunting in general,' a statement on his website, reads.

His pictures prompted fury and led to a 100,000 signature petition calling for him to be banned from visiting some African countries and for his images to be removed from Facebook.

In response Neilson wrote: 'A little something special for my many thousands of Anti-Hunting Fans!

'They currently have three active petitions against me (just google it) apparently hoping numerous African countries will no longer allow me entry?

'Ya right, the guy who shows up with the money - to partake in a legal, ethical and widely supported activity within their country. I'm sure that's gonna happen?'

He posted the message alongside more photos of dead lions, which he told people to 'enjoy'.

In an interview in August, Neilson, who also hosts TV series ‘Trijicon's World of Sports Afield’, told American news channel ABC: 'Hunting absolutely is the only tool right now that’s paying for the vast majority of the wildlife conservation throughout the continent of Africa...

'We might take a small surplus of [lions], but without what we’re doing there won’t be any of them at all.'

This is something disputed by some wildlife organisations, and the idea that trophy hunting benefits animals has been branded a 'fantasy'.

Lion killer: Corgatelli and Neilson (third from right) are pictured posing over a slain lion. Doctor Pieter Kat, director of the charity Lion Aid, said: 'Why anyone would want to shoot a single lion to deliver to a taxidermist is puzzling, but to want to go back time and again to eventually have 15 stuffed lions in their trophy room is incomprehensible'

Bloody: Doctor Pieter Kat, director of Lion Aid, questioned how the actions in these pictures could have anything to do with lion conservation

Doctor Pieter Kat, director of the charity Lion Aid, told MailOnline: 'Aaron Nielsen recently returned from Africa with his 14th and 15th lion trophy safely deposited at the taxidermist.

'Why anyone would want to shoot a single lion to deliver to a taxidermist is puzzling, but to want to go back time and again to eventually have 15 stuffed lions in their trophy room is incomprehensible.'

When confronted by MailOnline on his poaching conviction, Neilson said: 'As you can see it was a big mistake made by a young man in a new area of operation for the first time.

'Like most, I paid my debt to society and learned my lesson in life. To be accurate and factual, I poached nothing - I was not hunting, nor did I even have a hunting licence.'

He said the hunt he joined his girlfriend Miss Corgatelli on in July was inside a private reserve and that the tribal chief had granted permission for them to hunt.

Convicted: Doctor Pieter Kat, director of Lion Aid, believes Neilson has 'no respect whatsoever for wildlife'

Neilson said he has been on anti-poaching patrol in Zambia, adding: 'I've been shot at, I've held poachers at gunpoint, and I've seen the most repulsive example of indiscriminate mass poaching one could imagine.'

He claims 'hunters put their money where their mouths are' and contribute financially to lion conservation in Africa.

'Hunting is still the best conservation tool we have throughout much of wild Africa. In the case of conservation minded hunting - the theory of "sacrificing a few to save the many" is legitimate and working as it has for decades.

'Emotion and irrationality will not save Africa's wildlife. Only money, hard work, and persistence will do so.

'We as hunters want what anti-hunters want too, Africa's wildlife to live on and prosper forever.'

Addressing his hunting of 15 lions, he said: 'No one cares more for, loves or works harder to protect the king of beasts than do I and my hunting brothers and sisters.

Girlfriend: Corgatelli posted this picture of a wildebeest on her Facebook. One of her fans commented: 'That is a very big one young lady that is something to be proud of'

'To me, the lion is the most incredible creature on the planet and nothing I want to see more than his longevity.'

However he added: 'Wild lions don’t have names, they are not friends with Pumba and don’t dance around the campfire with others. They are fighters, they are killers, they have no feelings for the game they hunt and they take no prisoners.

They practice infanticide, and survival is their only goal. Stop humanising a wild animal, humans they are not.'

Tony - Just so I'm clear on this issue as you see it. You were "guilty" of the same thing (posting pics) that supposedly cost your son a job, but you have no problem continuing the spread (re-hashing) of inflammatory material that might cost others theirs? Your either foolish enough, or too ignorant to realize AR is also a social media platform, followed by many whom are not hunters, some even anti-hunters. Today alone Sabrina has received several threatening messages from antis relating to your posts above, noting that even her fellow hunters from AR seem willing to attack her, and lay claim to her supposed wrong doings. Despite the fact her hunt was 100% legal / ethical, etc, and really had nothing to do with me other than I won't stand for people attacking my family. Every time idiots like you dig up this issue, she not only gets threatening messages, her employer does too. Thankfully for her, he has more balls than you and informs her to be proud of her hunting heritage...rather than hiding from it like you propose.

Apparently the only examples (all 8 of them) that you can find of these dastardly deeds involve Sabrina and myself? This really is just a chicken-shit attempt at smearing me...which frankly I couldn't care less about - other than the fact that it then involves Sabrina who was simply proud of her very first African Safari, only a couple of days after the funeral of her younger brother! A continued attack she doesn't deserve, certainly not one that is often fanned by the likes of your dumbass! But you are obviously too stupid to recognize that!?

Face it Tony...you're a washed up "has been", who never really was! You play internet - keyboard warrior like a 20 something stuck in his mommy's basement, looking for any opportunity you can get to defame others in a pathetic attempt to bring relevance to your sorry existence! My personal issues have been aired here on AR several times before, and its always from the likes of you. Someone who's miserable with their own life, hoping for nothing more than an opportunity to slander others in an attempt to feel important....despite the fact your own success has never amounted to anything! If clowns like you spent half as much time trying to better yourselves as you do trying to perpetuate harm to others....you likely would be a lot more successful in life.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
I post hunting photos on Instagram, I think of all the photos I have had 3-4 bad comments.

I think educate and showing the benefits with hunting is the only way to go. To be ashamed and hide it - for sure all hunting will go away.

We can argue it all night but education and learning people that have no clue is for me the right thing - I have had school classes come and look in my home and at the same time been educated how animal conservation really works !

Clean respectable photos is at least for me a must.

I have a bunch of people contacted me during the years and many of them no hunters but now started taking the "hunting exam" in Sweden.
I even followed one guy that contacted me last year to Africa for he´s dream safari - all for just posting photos.

Likewise here on Instagram.

And discussing media and hunting, most of the so called HUNTING shows on TV are an embarrassment even to us!

I have stopped watching anything on THE OUTDOOR CHANEL years ago.

I tried on a few shows, and frankly, I found them so silly, and as far removed from actual hunting as to Mark Sullivan's stupid antics glorifying himself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
This could actually have far reaching implications dependent on whether it's a rule or a law because if it's a law then the USF&WS could probably prosecute under the Lacey Act.

"This directive now also opens the door to prosecution for those hunters who defy the Ministerial order and authorities such as USF&W are likely too pounce on this announcement as a tool for legal action against hunters in the US."

Hence the reason why I said USF&W using it as a tool for legal action.

Some people conveniently tend to forget the Lacey Act and some are too dumb to read in between the lines.

A letter of this nature signed by the Minister who so happens to be a Presidential Appointee, is not to be scorned; reading in between the lines means its just as good as it having being signed by the President. Wink

However, for those who want to believe it should be simply taken as a recommendation can put it to the test and find out the hard way. coffee

Posts: 2036 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the minister.Hunting should be as private as possible but it is kind of hard to do in our times.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I have to admit I was floored by that post from the “writer”. I could see no reason for it other than an attempt to cause more grief for Sabrina and Aaron as well.

Poor form and not very professional in my opinion. It very much appears to be an attack on Aaron and Sabrina...not just a general statement about the problems with social media.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:

Tony - Just so I'm clear on this issue as you see it. You were "guilty" of the same thing (posting pics) that supposedly cost your son a job, but you have no problem continuing the spread (re-hashing) of inflammatory material that might cost others theirs? Your either foolish enough, or too ignorant to realize AR is also a social media platform, followed by many whom are not hunters, some even anti-hunters. Today alone Sabrina has received several threatening messages from antis relating to your posts above, noting that even her fellow hunters from AR seem willing to attack her, and lay claim to her supposed wrong doings. Despite the fact her hunt was 100% legal / ethical, etc, and really had nothing to do with me other than I won't stand for people attacking my family. Every time idiots like you dig up this issue, she not only gets threatening messages, her employer does too. Thankfully for her, he has more balls than you and informs her to be proud of her hunting heritage...rather than hiding from it like you propose.

Apparently the only examples (all 8 of them) that you can find of these dastardly deeds involve Sabrina and myself? This really is just a chicken-shit attempt at smearing me...which frankly I couldn't care less about - other than the fact that it then involves Sabrina who was simply proud of her very first African Safari, only a couple of days after the funeral of her younger brother! A continued attack she doesn't deserve, certainly not one that is often fanned by the likes of your dumbass! But you are obviously too stupid to recognize that!?

Face it Tony...you're a washed up "has been", who never really was! You play internet - keyboard warrior like a 20 something stuck in his mommy's basement, looking for any opportunity you can get to defame others in a pathetic attempt to bring relevance to your sorry existence! My personal issues have been aired here on AR several times before, and its always from the likes of you. Someone who's miserable with their own life, hoping for nothing more than an opportunity to slander others in an attempt to feel important....despite the fact your own success has never amounted to anything! If clowns like you spent half as much time trying to better yourselves as you do trying to perpetuate harm to others....you likely would be a lot more successful in life.

I completely agree with Aaron. This is not a closed society here and these pages get trolled every day. To post this is just an attempt to smear the guy.

Total BULLSHIT.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t think that we should post photos on Facebook but the attack on Aaron was mean spirited. We can have civil discussions without resorting to smearing another person.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:
quote:

I completely agree with Aaron. This is not a closed society here and these pages get trolled every day. To post this is just an attempt to smear the guy.

Total BULLSHIT.

Jeff

Yup.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Total BULLSHIT.

Jeff

And somewhere hundreds of anti's are giggling with joy.

Shame
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony Mandile very poor form indeed......

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Total BULLSHIT.

Jeff

+1

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Total BULLSHIT.

Jeff

+1

+2

Adjust the cannula and up the 02 Tony, that was BS

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Zimbabwe, second-rate politicos (including ministers) make these kinds of announcements from time to time, and then promptly have to retract them. Failing it being that, it could be the ARAs' influence, but I wouldn't have expected it from Namibia.

In Zim, IFAW is tunneling hard to get in, but so far are only a minor annoyance.

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by ijl:

I can understand this sort of thing coming fro USFW, an organization far too impressed with their own self importance.

But when it comes from a hunting destination country, it is nothing but utter stupidity - or the antis have taken over!

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+3

The interesting thing in this whole photo ban mess isn't that some government functionary signed it. Governments do stupid stuff all the time, look at USFWS....

What's shocking is that NAPHA supports the move and has come out with a press statement saying they do. NAPHA is either extremely misguided and is using a Chamberlain type appeasement strategy, or there is something else in it for them. I'm not sure exactly what, but would bet financial gain is involved.

And am I the only one that finds it strange that NAPHA members have been publicly silent on this issue, both for and against? I haven't seen a single comment. You'd think this issue would stir some things up with outfitters as well, but it hasn't.... Why?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe they are siomply looking at the situation from the standpoint of how it will affect their personal futures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of the push for the MET announcement came from within the hunting community as they have seen the economic damage caused by social media storms over hunting pictures. They simply do not want to repeat other's mistakes.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really don't like being the voice of Doom and Gloom, but reality is the numbers of people that are developing a negative attitude toward hunters/hunting is growing, while our numbers continue to shrink.

I firmly believe as a group we need to just keep on hunting as long as we can and not call any unnecessary attention to ourselves and that is just my opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CHC - Some say that it's defeatism to slow down on the Social Media postings while others say it's survival in a mass media world.

It's the proverbial glass half empty/half full debate and there are not correct answers. So the hunting community will continue to be fragmented on the issue and that unfortunately does not help either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
A lot of the push for the MET announcement came from within the hunting community as they have seen the economic damage caused by social media storms over hunting pictures. They simply do not want to repeat other's mistakes.

I don't know that I buy that... If true, why aren't those same outfitters asking clients not to post and being vocal about the need to post, and why are they still posting pictures themselves?

It feels more like an attempt at power and control by a few people within the industry, and again I'm going to point at NAPHA and Danene in particular. They aren't giving up client rights for no reason. And I don't believe it's for the "good of the industry."

It's going to be interesting to continue to watch this unfold.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you probably know Minister Shifeta is very sensitive to negative social media and that helped drive a lot of this. Also there is a generational gap inside NAPHA between those who support social media and use it to drive business and the older set who don't. I also believe the dark horse in this was WWF and their opinion was to be more conservative with social media.

At the end of the day, this is largely a toothless issue. MET isn't going to press charges on anyone who posts pictures. At best, it is a guidance document by MET and hopefully opens some healthy dialogue within the industry.

One thing is for sure, the industry does not need any more negative press than we are already dealing with. And I believe everyone is praying this does not spill over into the tourism industry as that could be devastating for the country. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I am of the opinion this will be forgotten by next hunting season.