New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chirisa Update 3-27
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We left Chicago on Monday only to find our luggage and firearms did not make the trip and we were left in Johannesburg with nothing but our carry-ons. After spending the night at Afton Guest House we left for Vic Falls. Everyone was still clueless as to the whereabouts of our luggage. On the positive side, South Africa seems to have gotten it’s
act together on processing firearms permits as Buddy was quickly whisked through the process.

After arriving in Vic Falls, our charter pilot Chris, requested our luggage keys and Zim firearm permits. Chris told us he would take care of the luggage when it eventually arrived.

We were flown to Chirisa by Chris, and a plan was made that when the luggage arrived it would be flown into camp.

That night at camp we had dinner with George Hallamore and his elephant hunting client. The client was going home empty handed as he was holding out for a very big bull. The story they told was incredible, a cow elephant had literally attacked their vehicle driving one tusk through the hood and the other tusk was stopped by the bush guard and the winch. The Game Scout, who was riding in the rear of the vehicle shot the cow at point blank range numerous times with his AK47, the cow then ran away, but was not recovered.

Now it is Thursday, March 15th, limited clothes, no firearms, and no information on our luggage. We checked with HHK and were told that our firearms and baggage were on their way to camp. In the meantime, Buddy and Ross Johnston were looking for sable from the old game ranger station when they saw a lioness walk out of the bush with a baby impala. She played with the impala like a cat with a mouse before eating it. There are literally lions everywhere. All night they are grunting.

The luggage has arrived!!!!!

Friday March 16th we were driving down the dirt road when we came over a small hill. There were poachers in the road about 500 yards awaywalking with meat on their heads.
Terry accelerated the vehicle and the poachers heard us coming and ran into the bush carrying their poached meat. Langston the Game Scout, jumped from the vehicle as it came to a stop and fired his weapon. The poachers were not hit and escaped. We saw some great buffalo and small elephant bulls. Buddy almost gothis sable and waterbuck but swirling winds ruined the stalk.

I will keep you posted on how the hunt progresses.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
I hope your luggage arrives in the next 5 minutes. Have a great time. beer

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Glad to see the update.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Now that is the true purpose of an AK!

Glad you got your bags!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
On the edge of our seats here in frigid Vermont!

~Ann

Posts: 19564 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kathi, I hope you have a great trip. Sorry to hear about your firearms and luggage situation, but at least it finally got sorted out.

Sometimes it seems as though there's no justice in the world. Over the years, you've come to the aid of numberous clients who showed up in Africa with no guns or luggage, and you sort it out for them. Now, when you're placed in that situation, you have to sort it out yourself. It's just not fair.

Posts: 98 | Location: Eastern United States | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Disappointing that the scout missed. Sounds like you are having a great time. Please send my regards to Terry. I will always remember him as the guy who pointed out to me what a chestnut-backed finch lark was! Can you believe it? That guy is second to none that I know when it comes to African birdlife.

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Funny poacher story. When we were hunting in Tanzania in September one of the hunters in camp and his PH came upon a poacher. The poacher started to run and the PH told the hunter to fire a shot in his direction. The hunter fired and apparently the surpise of the shot caused the poacher to trip and fall. The PH started shouting, "no, shoot in his direction, don't shoot him, don't shoot him, . . ." The PH heard the shot, saw the poacher fall and was convinced that the hunter had shot the poacher.

Kathi, glad things are starting to look up with the arrival of the luggage.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
You will get your game Kathi. Keep us posted. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

That was hilarious, it really got me laughing! clap The PH must of been genuinely pleased to find the poacher both unscathed and discouraged.

Kathi

If I were you, I would blame the lost luggage on the travel agent, and then roast her on the open forums. Wink

Posts: 177 | Location: The Arkansas Line | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Kathi,

Thanks for the update. It appears the satellite/wireless card for you computer is working well. Good luck with your buff and remember to save a big bossed old man for me!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kathi, you go girl. It will all work out. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Day 3,

Tracker Tadius spotted two elephant bulls resting in the shade from the heat. Terry Fenn, my husband Rick, the game scout and two trackers worked their way to the bulls. After glassing the bulls Terry said the biggest bull was 45 pounds per side. The other bull was slightly smaller. After a short discussion, it was decided not to shoot the bull. Terry and Rick sneaked up to within 15 yards of the bulls and for 10 minutes Terry pointed out where the shot should be taken as the angles of the moving bulls kept changing. The wind changed and the bulls ran off.

Terry and I entered a herd of about 150 buffalo. This early in the hunt all bulls were passed.

Buddy missed a waterbuck.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Sounds like youre having a action packed time already.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great time, Kathi. I hope you and Rick get the ones you are after. I know you will. Good luck.

Dave

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Day 4 “This ain’t your daddy’s yachtâ€

Followed elephant tracks all day, but all the bulls were too small. Tracker Maxwell found a large bleached out lion skull while following elephant tracks. We came across a rock python that was estimated to be about 12 feet long. PH Terry Fenn said it is good luck to find a snake and leave it alone, I always thought it was good never to see a snake.

While returning to camp for lunch, my husband Rick and the cameraman Scott were sitting on the bench seat in the bed of the Land Rover with their shirts off getting some sun and drinking lemonade. Terry abruptly stopped the truck and got out of the vehicle and said, “This ain’t your Daddy’s yacht. Put down your drinks and get your shirts back
on and start looking for elephant tracksâ€. Everyone was laughing with Terry’s joke.

After lunch, found more elephant tracks. All elephants were too small. We saw a black mamba while driving down the road.

Buddy wounded a waterbuck that they had to stop looking for as night came. They will pick up the blood trail tomorrow. Buddy and Ross also saw a black mamba climb up a tree and enter a hole. The weather is extremely hot.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kathi,

Keep the stories coming - we love them.
Glad you are having a good time.

Melody

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
March 19th,

Lightning and thunder all night but no rain. As the vehicles were pulling out at 5:30 a.m. the skies opened up. Buddy's waterbuck was not found. We saw a young impala buck with a snare around his neck that was shot to end it’s suffering.

Rick passed on a 40 pounder. Several of the locals living on the edge of Chirisa told us of big bulls raiding their crops, let’s hope it is true. Saw a huge buffalo bull in the Sapani Pan which has a no shooting zone for 400 meters.

Another day in paradise.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
March 19th,

Lightning and thunder all night but no rain. As the vehicles were pulling out at 5:30 a.m. the skies opened up. Buddy's waterbuck was not found. We saw a young impala buck with a that was shot to end it’s suffering.

Rick passed on a 40 pounder. Several of the locals living on the edge of Chirisa told us of big bulls raiding their crops, let’s hope it is true. Saw a huge buffalo bull in the Sapani Pan which has a no shooting zone for 400 meters.

Another day in paradise.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the waterbuck -- hope it turns up.

Here's hoping a really big bull shows soon.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Hope you find the waterbuck !

It will make it much more rewarding to pass those bulls untill that special one. And what's up with the snakes I haven't seen so many snakes the whole year last year all included !

I hope it brings very good luck.

Frederik Cocquyt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Day 6

Torrential rain between 3:00 a.m. to 4:45 a.m. Sengwa river cannot be crossed, We did not see any buffalo and only one small bull elephant today. While walking to a spring we came across an area that had 10 wire snares arranged to funnel animals into them. We removed all the snares with the Game Ranger and brought them back to camp.

During the night before the rain, a fight between lions and hyenas occurred in the reeds next to the riverbed.

Hopefully tomorrow will be the elephant day.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
Day 7,

The day started with Terry reporting he had been bitten by a scorpion during the night.

We were checking the boundary roads for elephant tracks when the villagers who live on the border of Chirisa told us that two elephants had raided their crops during the night and returned into Chirisa at about 4:00 a.m.

Tracker Maxwell and Game Scout Langton did a fantastic job of following the tracks and we soon caught up to the crop raiders. One of the bulls was the biggest bodied elephants that the cameraman had ever seen. Unfortunately, he had only about 30 pounds of ivory.

Terry came up with a plan for the afternoon hunt. Rick, Scott the cameraman, Tracker Maxwell, Game Scout Langton and Terry would walk through a valley that gets almost no pressure due to no access roads. They found several herds of elephants, but no shooters. While walking down a game trail, a ram bushbuck ran past them being chased by about 20 dogs. The dogs stopped when they saw them. Everyone remained motionless waiting for the poachers to follow the dogs. As the poachers were slowly approaching, one of the dogs ran back to them and started to bark. The poachers began running away and during the chaotic few minutes one of the dogs was shot. Langston said they were buffalo poachers.

Hopefully tomorrow will be the day the big tusker is located

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story Kathi, Mabe tomorrow will be the day.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update -- I enjoyed it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kathi, it will all come together. Hunt hard, hunt smart, and you will be successful. Namibia is being difficult. Email me when you can. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
Day 7,

The day started with Terry reporting he had been bitten by a scorpion during the night.

We were checking the boundary roads for elephant tracks when the villagers who live on the border of Chirisa told us that two elephants had raided their crops during the night and returned into Chirisa at about 4:00 a.m.

Tracker Maxwell and Game Scout Langton did a fantastic job of following the tracks and we soon caught up to the crop raiders. One of the bulls was the biggest bodied elephants that the cameraman had ever seen. Unfortunately, he had only about 30 pounds of ivory.

Terry came up with a plan for the afternoon hunt. Rick, Scott the cameraman, Tracker Maxwell, Game Scout Langton and Terry would walk through a valley that gets almost no pressure due to no access roads. They found several herds of elephants, but no shooters. While walking down a game trail, a ram bushbuck ran past them being chased by about 20 dogs. The dogs stopped when they saw them. Everyone remained motionless waiting for the poachers to follow the dogs. As the poachers were slowly approaching, one of the dogs ran back to them and started to bark. The poachers began running away and during the chaotic few minutes one of the dogs was shot. Langston said they were buffalo poachers.

Hopefully tomorrow will be the day the big tusker is located

Kathi,

Are you seeing any more buffalo? Sounds like poaching is running rampant in the area. Hopefully this is not impacting the buff too much (but certainly can't be helping.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
We all look forward to the updates Kathi, thanks! Tell Terry he should get him a AA battery operated UV lamp (blacklight) to scan his sleeping quarters at night. Most Scorpions glow under UV light. Best of luck today! LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Hope you have some great news to report on the next update.

Frederik Cocquyt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kathi

Thank you for the updates.
Short, sweet and to the point. I love them that way. I have time to read and keep up in that form.

May the Huntress Diana smile on you and your hunting party.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
We're sure enjoying your updates! Keep them coming and the best of luck to you and yours.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last night PH Ross Johnston showed us digital photographs of an estimated 46 inch buffalo with hard bosses that was below the old Game Ranger Station. We did not find the bull today, but we did look over several good bulls.

Still no luck with the big elephant. Tomorrow is another day.

Buddy shot a 12 inch reedbuck today, he is still looking for that big sable.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
I suppose that 46" bull has got your name on it hope you find it thumb

Frederik Cocquyt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Day 9,

Plan B went into effect today, 3:30 a.m. wake up, breakfast, and on the road by 4:30 a.m. The plan was to get to the boundary by daybreak and pick up fresh tracks. Several elephant were located but no shooter bulls. I cannot say enough about the effort of PH Terry Fenn, Trackers Maxwell and Tadius, and Game Scout Langton in trying to locate a 50 pound bull. If perseverance determined tusk size, a 100 pounder would be shot.

Another snare was picked up today. We saw a buffalo cow that was missing a large part of one of her rear legs that was apparently caused by a snare. She had a young calf with her. With all the lions around she will not last long.

Buddy shot an impala and while they were retrieving the impala, Ross and Buddy observed a lioness stalk an injured cape buffalo calf and fight the calf’s mother who was trying to protect her.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
Day 10

I almost got the big boy today but some cows and calves ruined the stalk. There was rain this afternoon and the buffs were more relaxed. Maybe tomorrow.

No elephant today. There is an elephant hunter in the next camp that shot a 45 pound bull today, three hours into his hunt. He booked another bull elephant hunt so he can take two.

PH Ross Johnston and Buddy took great photos of a magnificent ginger maned lion. The first lion hunter this season here is a lucky person.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kathi, Sounds like your having a great time. Can't wait to see the video. Good luck to you, and tell Rick I said good luck.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Good luck on the big buff.

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Getting closer and closer thumb

Frederik Cocquyt

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Go get em gal. Are you really going to settle for a 46 inch bull? Razzer

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Kathi,

These updates are great! Stick with those buffalo, you'll nail the big one yet.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote