Tools

Illegal hunting in Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
This crap ends up tarring all South Africans with the same brush. There are reports coming out of Namibia, Tanzania and Mozambique where the same sort of horse-wallop is taking place. I would like to see that someone kicks all their bloody arses into touch.
There is not much difference in the mind set of these bastards and rhino poachers. It is an unfortunate development where certain folk have no regard for wildlife except as a means to an end. That being as much money in the bank on the back of wildlife with little regard for the future. Pretty much the same applies to the so called private reserves found all over South Africa nowadays. The stresses created by Landrover loads of wine guzzling, gawking, raucous idiots must be difficult to bear and in reality have little to do with conservation.

Amen Bro Mad

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Back to the Nyakasanga story.

Apparently Bouna Safaris, through the connections of those in power, have a revolving charge account on lion in the Nyakasanga...shoot one...get another on quota...sell another...so on and so forth.

But...at least in the lion department...there is some Zim PH involvement that has given people piece of mind sake to shoot these lion.

I say this so those Zim PH's/outfitters that have cried RSA in this thread...can also clean up their own house...with outing the bad egg Zim PH.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Shingani 2010 newsletter.

SHINGANI 2010.

2010 WAS A VERY VERY GOOD HUNTING YEAR AND WITH ALL THE PROBLEMS WORLD WIDE WE STIL MANAGED TO BOOK AND SHOOT 35 BUFFALO, 4 LEOPARD, 8 SABLE, 5 CROCODILES AND 2 ELEPHANTS IN ZIMBABWE. WHAT A FANTASTIC SEASON WE HAD. OUR SEASON IS GETTING LONGER EVERY YEAR AND IN 2011 OUR FIST HUNTERS ARE IN ON FEBRUARY THE 2ND. I WIL AGAIN HUNT IN MATATSI 6. 7 , DEKA POOLS AND WOODLANDS FOR BUFFALO . WE HAD 100% ON BUFFALO AGAN THIS YEAR AND TOOK SOME GIANTS. I AM ADDING A FEW PICTURES OF THE BULLS WE SHOT.

I WIL BE IN USA FROM JANUARY 3RD TO FEBRUARY 16TH. I WIL ATTEND THE RENO SHOW AND ALSO THE PORLAND SHOW AND WIL BE IN CINCINNATI, HOUSTON, PORTLAND, FLORIDA, ALABAMA, TRI CITIES, DENVER AND WHERE EVER HUNTRES WANT TO SEE ME I WIL FLY AND MEET WITH THEM. EVERYBODY CAN CONTACT ME BY E MAIL @ SAFARI@SHINGANI.COM AND SENT A COPY OF THE E MAIL TO GAME@SHINGANI.COM . I LOOK FORWARD TO SEE EVERYBODY THAT MISSED OUT HUNTING THIS YEAR AND EVERYBODY THAT WERE HERE. HOPE SOME GET LUCKY AND PULL A DEER FOR THE POT BEFORE CHRISTMAS.

http://www.shingani.com/zim.asp

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I WIL AGAIN HUNT IN MATATSI 6. 7

I thought Matestsi 6 was illegal for USA residents and isn't 7 for Photo Safaris????

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
and here we go with Woodlands again!

I hope he is not taking USA hunters to these places!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Or any hunter to 7.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, yeah,there is that too!

Seems the Park areas are prime land to hunt, not too many tourist really and not likely to run into other, legitimate, Zim PH's either.

And Woodlands again,with another outfitter! You'd think it was overrun with game!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is just the tip of the iceberg.

How many elephants have senior Parks officers shot for the chinese in these areas?

Posts: 81 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muvhimi:
This is just the tip of the iceberg.

How many elephants have senior Parks officers shot for the chinese in these areas?

Yep...the same Zim PH that affiliates with Bouna Safaris on lion in Nyakasanga...shot a 100 pounder in Hwange...so I am told.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
The single most important factor to exposing any illegal activity is to remember that it has to carry complete and irrefutable proof. There are those in Zim who have reported illegal activities before(groenewald in the southern areas of Zim for example) and seen it swept under the carpet because there has been a lack of evidence. However, if complete and compelling evidence is provided(and made public) then Parks are forced to react.
The secret is to make it public and embarras officials who otherwise would do nothing.

There are certainly Zim operators and Individuals who have information on illegal actions and activities and in many cases this information has been shared. I beleive that even if Parks themselves dont react to information, then SOAZ and the ZPHGA should conduct their own investigations and forward the results of these investigations to Parks and other interested parties. If a National Association has no right to take members to task over unethical behaviour, then perhaps the core functions and values of such an association needs to be re evaluated

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I beleive that even if Parks themselves dont react to information, then SOAZ and the ZPHGA should conduct their own investigations and forward the results of these investigations to Parks and other interested parties. If a National Association has no right to take members to task over unethical behaviour, then perhaps the core functions and values of such an association needs to be re evaluated[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the BOTTOM LINE is once again

NO SOUTH AFRICAN CAN HUNT ILLEGALLY WITHOUT THE ASSISTANCE OF A ZIMBABWE OUTFITTER, PH OR SOMETHING !!!!!!!!!

Zim clean your own house, then South Africans will not have the oppurtunity to operate illegally !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kwan:
... OR SOMETHING !!!!!!!!!

Walter, It seems likely that the "or something" is the root of this evil.

But, looking at it from another angle: If there were no one to buy these illegal hunts, would there be any?

It seems obvious that there are people who are offering hunts/quota that they have no authority to offer, and pocketing all or most of the money themselves. We all know that the systems, and organizations are crippled by the economy, politics, and inefficiency. Is that likely to change soon?

If the Outfitter and Professional Hunter organizations on both sides of the fence get their houses in order, and can influence the various members and even non-members who are faciltating these events, it seems likely that some progress could be made.

A final solution may need to await a change in management however.

Les

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les

As a fact it is that as long as there are "clients " out there that do not give a shite where they hunt as long as it is at the lowest price/best oppurtunity to hunt parks aimals, or whatever these " Outfits " will carry on.

So the crux now becomes the clients that are willing to support these neafarious outfits ? or am I wrong stir

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
EXACTLY RIGHT WALTER!. it's like the drug trade. if there were no demand, there would be no supply. ultimately it is unethical hunters who drive this illegal activity.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jdollar,

I can't completely agree with you and Walter. The truth is that a lot of clients particularly safari novices are just niave and don't have a clue that there is anything amiss with where they are hunting or who they are hunting with. They cast about the Internet looking for a cheap price and voila one of these questionable hunts pops up and looks very attractive. After all booking a safari is just like looking for that second hand Chevy. Right?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Mark, I agree up to a point. I suppose novices just look for the cheapest price and due diligence is perhaps a rare thing. But when someone charges 1/3 less than others- CAVEAT EMPTOR! Oh well, one man's bargain is another man's Lacey Act violation. just glad it ain't me.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
jdollar,

I can't completely agree with you and Walter. The truth is that a lot of clients particularly safari novices are just niave and don't have a clue that there is anything amiss with where they are hunting or who they are hunting with.

Then throw in a bad egg PH that has a good last name made by an honorable father...folks don't know who trust!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter54:
Saeed,

You are a man of wealth and power, why not issue a Press Release (through PRWeb or other) that openly shows what is going on. Get a freelance writer to do a short, 500 word expose!

To all of us, we are just chatting about this let's get to ACTION by filing complainst, showing this to SCI, DSC etc.!

At this rate, we will have NO lions or other game left for the next generation!

Is this the legacy we want to leave our children???? Do we want our children to know that we could have done something and were too lazy or carefree to ACT?

Someone with means, please let us know what you will do to save hunting, please!!

BTT. This is worth a double read.

All I see here is inaction from people who are much beter positioned to act than me but who have not done anything about this... Mad

one of us
posted Hide Post
It would surely be easy to place blame, or attempt to, for illegal hunting onto the shoulders of the hunters themselves. But off the mark I feel.

One of the reasons for stringent PH and Outfitter licensing proceedures and laws, the requirements by governments that a Professional Hunter be used, as well as "hunting seasons", "quotas", import and export regulations etc, must be to protect the state AND the clients from injury.

It is completely unreasonable to suggest that every hunter, be fully advised and aware of every rule, guideline, quota, boundary, border, in every country or hunting area where he might hunt. It is clear that we require the hunting "Professional" to be fully aware and advise us at every opportunity, in every case. That is part of what we are paying for.

Should every hunter do their best to discover to truth of the situation they are entertaining, certainly. But it is very unlikely that they can come anywhere near to gathering the required expertise. It is likely that most hunters have never heard of AR, or the Campfire, or any of the other such sites, and never will hear of them.

Obviously, there are going to be criminal clients, who look to get around the system, wherever they go.

But, is every client that buys a hunt, on the internet or at a show, a bottom feeder who deserves less than what he has paid for? These hunts are not necessarily being offered at bargain rates?

I am sure that the two clients [a couple] I observed recently sitting on the back of a Land Cruiser, dressed in fairly new outdoor gear, sporting new "Cabelas" caps, smiling and chatting with us and our PH, likely had paid full price for a hunt through a major outdoor retailer, who they trusted to provide them a quality product.

I am equally sure they had no idea that hunting on Woodlands was [immoral? illegal? improper? - whatever]! That any civilian/non-professional would work out the rather tortured logic that Ganyana provides above is extremely unlikely! But, the "Professional" selling or guiding the hunts should know that, likely DO know that, and MUST share such information with the clients, preferably prior to the hunt, not after the trophies fail to appear.

Now, the clients that were found, sitting under a tree in the shade at the very edge of National Park lands, the PH's Double Cab parked in the middle of the "two-track" [with the wired on, expired Zim number plates, over the SA plates] while the two PH's had run into Vic Falls for supplies in the other vehicle - probably had something of an idea their hunt was questionable.[ But even then, in those hunting areas, with miles and miles of "two-track" dust, sand and bush, how many of you [us] knew exactly where we were at ANY point in the hunting day? ]

To try to shift the blame to the customer for all the ills of the systems as they exist, or have broken down, is really a reach.

The "Professionals" must be expected to do right,in all cases, no matter what the temptation, and be held responsibile for doing wrong.
[In the above, in MY mind, "Professional" incudes the PH's, Outfitters, and government officials of all types. Booking Agents are in the mix as well, but are unlikely to be much better prepared than the best prepared client.]You can shout caveat emptor all day, but the professionals are charged with behaving properly, within the rules, and still must do so.

So, Walter, while we disagree, I understand your frustration, but hope you will hear mine, as a consumer as well.

Les

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is more ignorance on the part of the client, but certainly not always. A quick search of these forums will show at least one hunter who was definitely aware he was going on an illegal hunt, but was able to justify it to himself and even tried to rationalize it to others.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les

Yup you do make a point, and I agree, but as always you get seconh hand car slaesman and the you get secondhand car salesman, but the bastards that operate illegally, I promise you very rarely belongs to any organization or association,

Here in South Africa, NON LICENSED PH and OUTFITTERS selling hunts is becoming a worrying thing, and out here who do you think is going to enforce the Law ?

So the same goes for all the other countries as well

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the greatest frustrations is that organisations like SCI not only allow the open selling of illegal hunts but often actively support them.

As to the Zim government allowing a clean up of its own house? - Not in the near future, so sadly the target has to be the consumer- it is the only point where we can influence matters. Ideally it would only be the top men...but they can afford the legal protection to get away with just about anything (sk Lindsay Lohan) so it will take a couple of lacy act convictions to get US hunters to learn that they need to contact ZPHGA/SOAZ and check that their outfitter and PH are licensed.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the greatest frustrations is that organisations like SCI not only allow the open selling of illegal hunts but often actively support them

How true!

And SCI has the nerve to keep screaming FIRST FOR HUNTERS! Mad

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
One of the greatest frustrations is that organisations like SCI not only allow the open selling of illegal hunts but often actively support them.

As to the Zim government allowing a clean up of its own house? - Not in the near future, so sadly the target has to be the consumer- it is the only point where we can influence matters. so sadly the target has to be the consumer- it is the only point where we can influence matters. Ideally it would only be the top men...but they can afford the legal protection to get away with just about anything (sk Lindsay Lohan) so it will take a couple of lacy act convictions to get US hunters to learn that they need to contact ZPHGA/SOAZ and check that their outfitter and PH are licensed.

Ganyana,

While I agree with most of what you say...there are some registered Zim PH's contributing...one selling multiple lion hunts for Bouna in Nyakasanga. So...it seems to me...that ZPHGA/SOAZ has a little bit of house keeping duties to do as well.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But not a member of ZPHGA...and there are now openly two white guys that have 'aquired' PH licenses from parks without going through the exams and the DG said it was his privaledge to give them out as he wished...

And yes, Fronting for all the worst offenders on the occupied farms is a white guy...

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ganyana:
...so sadly the target has to be the consumer- it is the only point where we can influence matters..../QUOTE]

Ganyana,

Respectfully, I must disagree with some of your theme.

The responsibility for cleaning up Zimbabwe and South Africa's houses may not be pushed onto the backs of the consumer. ZPGHA, SOAZ, PHASA and as many government bodies as can be made to perform their assigned functions MUST continue to influence/convince those bad actors to behave legally/morally, by whatever means available.

And assuming that you may sacrifice a few USA hunters to get your point across is absurd. Equally absurd is the "...need to contact ZPHGA/SOAZ and check that their outfitter and PH are licensed....".
The liklihood of every hunter shopping for a Zim hunt, checking with SOAZ prior to booking, even assuming they have HEARD of SOAZ and that they can reach them, and that SOAZ will respond appropriately, whether the inquiry individuals are members, or not, is beyond realistic.

Yes, we here all know that the government there is not operating at peak efficiency, and that political appointees are trying to get as much as they can out of their positions now, fearing the possibility of a change in management. And we here know it will be difficult to get any change from that crowd.
But surely something can be done by the professionals.

Can't the bad actors be identified in forums such as this one? Shouldn't the "USA banned" list be available on your web sites? Are all the hunting areas they control identified? Are all the "occupied farms" identified somewhere? IS it illegal for USA residents or others to hunt on those "occupied" lands, or unethical? Are the trophies "stolen" really, are they getting Government/Bank approval and being exported?

Equally, PHASA and the South African industry must work to influence and identify those operating illegally or improperly as well.

Influencing consumers through education, publicity, and outreach is certainly appropriate activity. If you wait till USA hunters are caught up in legal wrangling, Lacey Acy or whatever, at the hands of "Professionals" you run the very real risk of killing the "Golden Goose". THAT sort of news will get around and the hunting industry will feel the economic pain first.

Les

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and there are now openly two white guys

I just liked this quote. I'll move along now...

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly, ZPHGA has little teeth beyond expelling unethical members. The Zimbabwe government in 1996 and SCI in 1997 made sure that the association couldn't enforce membership and couldn't deal with PH's who chose to function outside of the rules.

Considering that there is a white guy canning heroin for shipment to the USA (bought with rhino horn aledgedly) and doing so fairly openly in Harare...what can you expect in the way of government enforcement of a few hunting laws??? When even the 'land aquisition act' has never been finalised and the occupied farms are not legally forfit to government, simply 'designated' for aquisition and occupied by folk other than the owner...

We try...a small band of ethical PH's (and dare I mention it , Photogaphic guides) to maintain standards in the face of official conivance to destroy wildlife.

Do you, the consumer, hold yourself aloft from the delcine in animal numbers? Mean buffalo trophy quality has fallen from 40,7" in 1996 to 36,8" today...and proabably 34" if all the data was collected like it used to be.

The workings of the US government are strange to me. The high profile guilty buy their way out od trouble. The head of a major US rifle maker hunted illegally in Zim, evidence was provided and the farmer (legal owner) was 'bought off' with US$100,000. US fish and wild life were pissed with all the work they had put in to convict the guy.

Another major US firm 'apparently' paid a 7 figure 'contribution' to end a problem and place all the blame for the illegal hunting on his (white) Zimbabwean partner...who conviently died.

In summery...we have Law and ethics, and the two do not tie up. 50% of the US clients I have had are absolute gentlemen. The other 50% would be none the worse for a knife in the kidneys...fortunately for me I am of an age and a situation where I can choose who I guide...but I feel for those young PH's trying to do their best in a broken system to make a name for themselves.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sadly, ZPHGA has little teeth beyond expelling unethical members. The Zimbabwe government in 1996 and SCI in 1997 made sure that the association couldn't enforce membership and couldn't deal with PH's who chose to function outside of the rules.

Considering that there is a white guy canning heroin for shipment to the USA (bought with rhino horn allegedly) and doing so fairly openly in Harare...what can you expect in the way of government enforcement of a few hunting laws??? When even the 'land acquisition act' has never been finalized and the occupied farms are not legally forfit to government, simply 'designated' for acquisition and occupied by folk other than the owner...

We try...a small band of ethical PH's (and dare I mention it , Photographic guides) to maintain standards in the face of official connivance to destroy wildlife.

Do you, the consumer, hold yourself aloft from the decline in animal numbers? Mean buffalo trophy quality has fallen from 40,7" in 1996 to 36,8" today...and probably 34" if all the data was collected like it used to be.

The workings of the US government are strange to me. The high profile guilty buy their way out of trouble. The head of a major US rifle maker hunted illegally in Zim, evidence was provided and the farmer (legal owner) was 'bought off' with US$100,000. US fish and wild life were pissed with all the work they had put in to convict the guy.

Another major US firm 'apparently' paid a 7 figure 'contribution' to end a problem and place all the blame for the illegal hunting on his (white) Zimbabwean partner...who conviently died.

In summery...we have Law and ethics, and the two do not tie up. 50% of the US clients I have had are absolute gentlemen. The other 50% would be none the worse for a knife in the kidneys...fortunately for me I am of an age and a situation where I can choose who I guide...but I feel for those young PH's trying to do their best in a broken system to make a name for themselves.

Some bold statements here.

Are you indicating the US is to blame for the Heroin trade and illegal rhino smuggling? Are we also to blame for the decline in Trophy quality of Buffalo? Then to follow it up by indicating half of the hunters from the US are short on Ethics?

quote:
One of the greatest frustrations is that organizations like SCI not only allow the open selling of illegal hunts but often actively support them.

As to the Zim government allowing a cleanup of its own house? - Not in the near future, so sadly the target has to be the consumer- it is the only point where we can influence matters. Ideally it would only be the top men...but they can afford the legal protection to get away with just about anything (sk Lindsay Lohan) so it will take a couple of lacy act convictions to get US hunters to learn that they need to contact ZPHGA/SOAZ and check that their outfitter and PH are licensed.

Is relying on the US government to support your cause a wise position? You think arresting hunters for hunting on land taken by Mugabe is going to help the hunting industry in Zim? What about all the European clients that hunt in Zimbabwe. Should the Lacy act apply to them also?

You say “US hunters to learn that they need to contact ZPHGA/SOAZ and check that their outfitter and PH are licensed” but then later on comment that “ZPHGA has little teeth beyond expelling unethical members”.

Les made some great suggestions in his comments. Several others on this thread have also indicated that cleaning house in Zimbabwe is the first step in changing the current situation. I think we all realize that Zimbabwe has been through massive change in the last 10 years. I certainly sympathize with the people who have lost all they own and forced to leave their property. The reality however is that bad things happened and the only way to move forward is to focus on the future. The laws that were written before the current administration took over are not being enforced because the people in control now do not believe in them. Your own Parks department is not abiding by them. I think it is safe to say they are no longer true “Laws”. Blaming South African PH’s and US hunters for the situation in Zimbabwe is simply an excuse. Only when you stop playing the victim and start providing solutions will you improve things.

This of course is the opinion of a US hunter from Arkansas. You can decide which of your 50 % I fall into. I have hunted in Zimbabwe 9 different times and have made some of my best memories there. I also have made strong friendships with many of the PH’s and Staff that I have shared hunts with. None of them like how things have changed regardless of skin color or nationality. What they do believe is that the current people in power need to be educated so they can understand the value of natural resources. They want to show them that being a steward of the land, though difficult in the short term, will provide sustainable wealth for the future.

I wish you and the small band of ethical PH’s the best in your cause. I truly believe your intent is one of valor. But history indicates that change is made through Idea leadership and supported by organized numbers willing to drive a common agenda. The people who choose to be a victim eventually disappear and accomplish nothing.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Considering that there is a white guy canning heroin for shipment to the USA (bought with rhino horn aledgedly) and doing so fairly openly in Harare...what can you expect in the way of government enforcement of a few hunting laws??? When even the 'land aquisition act' has never been finalised and the occupied farms are not legally forfit to government, simply 'designated' for aquisition and occupied by folk other than the owner...

We try...a small band of ethical PH's (and dare I mention it , Photogaphic guides) to maintain standards in the face of official conivance to destroy wildlife.

Do you, the consumer, hold yourself aloft from the delcine in animal numbers? Mean buffalo trophy quality has fallen from 40,7" in 1996 to 36,8" today...and proabably 34" if all the data was collected like it used to be.

The workings of the US government are strange to me. The high profile guilty buy their way out od trouble. The head of a major US rifle maker hunted illegally in Zim, evidence was provided and the farmer (legal owner) was 'bought off' with US$100,000. US fish and wild life were pissed with all the work they had put in to convict the guy.

Ganyana,
Good post and I hear you load and clear.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mashonga:

I would like to put some things straight here and let everybody know that Kalulu Safaris is not a south african company but a registered hunting operator in Zimbabwe HOP 0287. We are a 100% legal and proper company abiding by the ethics and hunting laws of Zimbabwe.
I will not be anonymous as others have done here. If you are fighting for a genuine cause why being a coward and write anonymous postings. I am proud to introduce myself as director and PH of Kalulu Safaris,Zimbabwe. My partner Joe da Silva is south african, ofcourse,but he does not conduct safaris here, it is my sole responsibility. Never in the 25 years he has sent hunting clients to Zimbabwe operators has he broken or been accused of breaking a zimbabwean law.
Joe is my partner and he does handle all our bookings, but he has done nothing to be painted from the same tar pot used for Dawie Groeneawald and Riaan Vosloo.

I am sure that you and joe have never been accused of breaking a zimbabwean hunting law (until now) and i am also sure that you have broken many in the short time you have been trying to fly underneath the radar together. can you honestly tell this forum that you were not implicated as the legally registered professional on the TR2 form for the client who in May 2010 shot a buffalo illegally in Kazuma national park? and was the client concerned not booked through the vosloo brothers (Shingani safaris)? if you were the licensed pro in that instance, then your license should be suspended for at least 5 years, as has happened to other PH’s for less serious offences. Do you suppose that the underground movements that operated anonymously in WWII were cowards? Please take the time to ponder the result of those anonymous endeavors.

It is very unfortunate that some local people are not comfortable with Joes vision as shown on our web page and are trying to pull down Kalulu safaris.This is true, 100% true. Well, i would prefer not to discuss issues of our prices,fly camps and ration quotas because it is my feeling that these grievances must be presented to the proper authorities in our country first, engaging all parties involved before confusing people and making a scene in the international media. Did those of you who have issues ever go to National Parks with your questions? If you had,you would not have started this controversy on the internet.

No surprise that you are reluctant to discuss your prices fly camps and ration quotas. if your ‘vision’ was that of advancing black zimbabweans and black ph’s in particular then there would be no issue, but you should ask yourself if that truly is your vision. And you and joe should stop imagining that this is your ‘vision’ – black ph’s have been carving their names in zimbabwean hunting since there has been a hunting industry, and the majority of hunting operators in zim right now are black.

Kalulu Safaris has never charged clients 6% government levy.Posting that number as well as the spelling on my name were a genuine mistake by our web page designer.

So at the very least you confess you are poor advertisment for zimbabwean hunting. How long has your website been up and running? You are so professional but you cannot call your web designer and tell him to clean up the glaring blunders on your site? Your site was/still is misleading and amounts to false advertising.

We have never hunted lion but we offer it and give the price on request because we organise it from a diffrent area.

In which area might that be? Might your ‘floating’ quota perhaps have something to do with bouna safaris?

We do not have a permanant camp,and so what. What is wrong with a fly camp?Many clients prefer it because it is in the tradition of old africa safari hunting.

Just wondering if your fly camp in katambora parks area is the one ZTA issued you an operators permit for… I stand to be corrected, but I believe it is a ZTA requirement that a person needs a permanent camp and recognized hunting concession before qualifying for an operators license.

Finaly, the quota i had was authorised by Parks and have permits endorsed from National parks HQ.For your own information, the area warden, even the regional office does not issue permits but the HQ.You can find out from National Parks.

We don’t need to find out anything from parks because we are well aware that parks policy is no exporting of ration animals, yet the visionary joe has been advertising ration hunts with exportable trophies. However, it is my feeling that zrp/cid/rbz need to find out about the operations of matabeleland taxidermy and the ‘trophies’ they have been exporting in recent times. regarding your comment about head office being solely responsible for issuing permits, it appears that your area warden norbert sibello is a law unto himself since he conducted a hunting safari in zambezi national park recently (with riaan vosloo) and i question whether head office authorized that fiasco.

It is my ernest wish that people interested in blowing other peoples' candles must get all the facts right before they start confusing the world. Maybe this will make Mr.Anonymous' candle shine more brighter.

Thank you making my candle shine more brighter, please carry on posting because you are doing a good job of helping us to expose your operations for what they really are – grand theft and gross abuse of our wildlife areas.

Fellow sportsmen and true hunters, all i can say is beware of people using this space with their private agenda and making false accusations to pull down others.

i’m sure by now most know who to be wary of.

Mariet Mashonganyika.
Director and PH of Kalulu safaris

Zimpatriot

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Zimguide,

Wasn't there a ~100 lb. ele bull shot in Hwange Park in the not too distant past?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
All this information is illuminating for a Zimbabwean citizen like me who has been out of the hunting loop for a while. Obviously there is little honor left in the Zim hunting industry, and that is sad because that's what it all used to be about. At the end of the day, the problem lies with the criminals in Zimbabwe - without them, none of this would be happening. Those criminals should realize that the wheel does turn, albeit slowly, and that we, the people of Zimbabwe, will ensure that they are prosecuted to the full extent of the law when the wheel reaches a certain point. And it will reach that point, make no mistake, sooner rather than later. Mull that over you worthless oxygen thieves.

I did not fully appreciate the enormity of the problem in our parks and hunting areas before, now I do. I also did not swallow the newspaper article I read the other day which stated that 75% of our game has been slaughtered over the past decade, now I do. I think I'll spend less time trying to educate antis as to the benefits of hunting, seems a bit pointless now, at least from a Zimbabwean perspective. How can anyone justify/defend the fact that nothing is being done to bring those responsible for the desecration of our wildlife areas to book? These unprincipled hunters are more dangerous to hunting worldwide than the antis, because they feed the anti campaign.

To the individuals who are knowingly involved in overshooting quotas in various areas, I hope your children are made well aware of the fact that you destroyed the Zambezi valley gene pool.

David Hulme

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David,

There is a long history of posters on AR participating in illegal hunting in Zim and trying to marginalize thier own complicity. All the chest pounding is really quite sickening, when it is obvious these people knew they were breaking Zim law. I have no doubt some are naive and don't understand the situation, but a careful read of this board shows that many know exactly what / who they are supporting.

I support the honest, ethical PH's in Zimbabwe who are operating under extremely challenging conditions. The realization that a significant percentage of posters on this board can't get on board with supporting wildlife laws has been very dissapointing. Cheap prices and apparent "bragging rights" seems to cloud their judgement. I guess it is no different than high fenced, canned hunting, which I will never understand. It seems the philosphy is pretty close to this: "It is obvious that somebody will rape her (Zim), so it may as well be me who has the fun." Pathetic.

While I recognize the difficulties and potential injustice in targeting the foreign hunters, it should not be overlooked as part of the equation. To paraphrase a famous saying,"The only thing necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." There are a number of otherwise "good men" on this forum who have strapped on the blinders and even participated in these activities.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Got a mail from a booking agent today.Hunt Nyakasanga 7000USD dayrate, 21 000 Trophyfee for lion..100% succesrate last 5 years. You can shoot elephants and buff for trophyfee 50 pounds average last 5 years. 4 tuskless left @ 4500 each.

Top zim outfitter

AD

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Anton,

Why don't you post the name? There have been many posts on this thread dancing around this person...including the one about a 100 lb. ele being shot in Hwange Park.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks - After alot of due-dilligence lately, help from others and more info brought to light over the past 3 months, I unfortunately will not/cannot support operators, agents or foreign hunters who are using the Nyakasanga hunting area, any longer.

Bouna Safaris (S.A. outfitter) and the Zim officials are widely abusing the area, and more importantly the wildlife/hunting quota. The over-use of Nyakasanga is NOT limited to Bouna Safaris, nor does ir exclude some Zim operators as well. But, I think its important as concerned hunters to take s stance against the abuse, and distance ourselves from the situation for the time-being.

Unless quotas are quickly returned to past levels, and the abuse is stopped, Nyakasanga will go the way of many of Zim's once glorious hunting grounds! I urge you to strongly consider this thread, if comtemplating a hunt in Nyakasanga.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Anton,

Why don't you post the name? There have been many posts on this thread dancing around this person...including the one about a 100 lb. ele being shot in Hwange Park.

From my understanding its legal exportable quota.

Diana Hunting Tours & Guy Whittall

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Anton

No animal may be legally exported if shot in a National Park in Zimbabwe, if it has been exported it has been done illegally.

No respectable hunter should even consider a so called ration hunt in any of our parks if offered one. Period

Martin

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote