New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remingtons for Dangerous Game
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have too many Winchesters, Dakotas, Mausers, and other dangerous game rifles to risk reducing their value by suggesting that a mere Remington 700 with push-feed could ever suffice....

But in the September 1999 Rifle magazine, Ross Seyfried has a very good article "A Professional's Rifle." In it he describes many characteristics required of the professional's rifle including trigger, stock, magazine, sights, etc.

Seyfried states, "There is a lot of discussion about the reliability of various kinds of actions, especially those with controlled-feed, classic Mauser claw extractor and those without. In my opinion there is little or no advantage for either system." He goes on to discuss the merits of each.

Seyfried himself used a Remington 700 in 416 Remington for his dangerous game rifle during his many years as a PH in Africa.

Bob Hagel who hunted and guided in North America extensively for umpteen years also used Remington 700s for Alaskan bear.

We have all read the arguments pro and con, and again I have too much investment in claw-extractor rifles to allow any depreciation or weakened market value. But...

How many of us have personally had a Remington 700 extractor fail after breaking in the rifle with a hundred or so rounds ?

Hammer

[ 10-11-2003, 10:38: Message edited by: Hammer ]

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer

You may have a point and I believe a lot of dangerous game has been shot with push feed actions. One wonders if the mauser action thing is not overdone a little.

However if I personally was going to use a Remington in a DG caliber I wouls have a Sako extractor fitted for peace of mind - maybe even just buy a Sako.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer a claw-extractor type action mainly for sentimental reasons and I like the look of it!Esthetics do count when I buy a rifle. [Smile] Plus it just gives me an additional psychological sense of security knowing the bullet is "held" by something whilst feeding!

It sure does make my life harder to find a left handed action with a claw extractor for the .458 lott of my dreams.... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

I can report two such incidents: one with a Remington M700 7mm RM in about '78, and the second with a M700 .416 RM in '91that I ordered from the Remington Custom Shop when the cartridge was first announced.

I had both replaced with Remington extractors, and kept shooting the rifles. I have since traded both rifles.

My opinion is if you get the rifle past the infant mortality stage, the extractor will probably last. After reading Jack Belk's writings on the Walker trigger, I am more concerned with that component.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I'd rather trust my own judgement. The fact that Seyfried and Hagel used Remington 700-based rifles in the face of dangerous game means nothing to me. They weren't the first to do so, and they won't be the last. Quite a few gunwriters over the years have waxed ecstatic over rifles that I'd personally rather not use.

For any sort of big game hunting, I'll take a rifle with a Mauser-style controlled-feed action for my own personal use. I have not found a single logical reason to select a push-feed action instead of a controlled-feed action, especially for dangerous game purposes.

AD

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

We have shot a very large number of Remington rifles, and have never, ever had a failure to extract, or a broken extractor.

Having said that, the tiny little extractor Remington includes on their factory rifles does not inspire confidence.

As a general rule, I always install a Sako type extractor on all my own Remington rifles. It is certainly not out of necessity, but out of choice.

Posts: 66996 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had two fail on the same 700 AWR in 300 Weatherby. This more than a year and several hundred rounds into it's life. Still, I wouldn't be afraid to use one for DG, until something was coming to bite me and it broke again... [Eek!]

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allen day:
I'd rather trust my own judgement. The fact that Seyfried and Hagel used Remington 700-based rifles in the face of dangerous game means nothing to me. They weren't the first to do so, and they won't be the last. Quite a few gunwriters over the years have waxed ecstatic over rifles that I'd personally rather not use.

For any sort of big game hunting, I'll take a rifle with a Mauser-style controlled-feed action for my own personal use. I have not found a single logical reason to select a push-feed action instead of a controlled-feed action, especially for dangerous game purposes.

AD

I agree, 100% Well said Allen! [Cool]

[ 10-10-2003, 18:00: Message edited by: MacD37 ]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Going in harm's way with a firearm made by the lowest bidder will give you an uneasy feeling that depreciates the thrill of the hunt.

You will feel much better carrying a firearm that was designed to work more reliably with each modification. Instead of one that was concieved by removing features deemed uneccessary by a bean counter.

I can still remember looking for the extractor on my first Remington. I thought I had gotten an unfinished rifle, until someone pointed out the fact that it doesn't really have one in the tangible sense. It relies on the policy of "wishful thinking" to extract a cartridge, which may or may not work when you need it to.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I have had my share of problems with push feeds, but not extraction problems. Sometimes jams, sometimes popping the cartridge out into the blue. It is just not worth the risk when better options are around.

Posts: 19316 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once again from the Ross Seyfried article in the September 1999 Rifle ....

The success and reliability of either depends solely on how well it is made and tuned. Actually the Remington/Sako style extractors are a bit more foolproof. That is, they require less sophistication on the part of the gunmaker to cause them to work perfectly.

Generally a Remington extractor works right out of the box.... If they survive the first box of shells, they usually last almost forever. Because they do not get involved in the feeding and chambering process, there is little that can go wrong.

The Mauser claw, controlled-feed system is certainly a wonderful device. There are one or two traps built into this system that will bite you if given the chance. First, the claw that controls the feeding out of the magazine must have perfect geometry, size, and tension. When they are not correct they either blow the cartridge out in front of the bolt or bind it as it tries to make the corner into the chamber. Further, it is very important the claw be able to cam itself over the round that has inadvertently found its way into the chamber in front of the extractor. If the extractor is set up with zero clearance so it cannot possibly leave a case in the chamber without tearing the rim away (this is common when makers search for perfectly reliable extraction), it is equally impossible for it to get over one that got into the chamber in front of the bolt.

These are what I call catastrophic failures in the field. You have a round mashed into the chamber, the bolt will not close nor do you have any means to remove it. It is one of those untidy situations when you must say, "Please, Mr Charging Lion, wait while I get a cleaning rod."

Hammer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer:

How many of us have personally had a Remington 700 extractor fail after breaking in the rifle with a hundred or so rounds ?

Hammer

1. I have only experienced a Remington (model 600) firing when I did not press the trigger due to the defective Rem trigger design. It fired when the bolt was closed.

2. I hunted with a PH who said two of his clients have experienced broken Rem extractors in the field. But that is second hand info.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once again, all my dangerous game rifles are either double-barrels or Mauser claw controlled-feed extractor rifles like Winchester, Mauser, Dakota, and Mathieu. Montana Rifle Company actions to be added soon.

Just wanting to understand the real-life comparison in use between the two bolt systems.

In my work, many times great ideas and theories and strongly-held beliefs don't always stand up under the test of time and hard data scrutiny. Sometimes folks conveniently remember all the failures of one vendor and cannot recall any failures from a competing vendor, but deep search finds similar frequency of both. My father (age 94 when he passed away) could not remember a Ford car that did not fail or a Buick that did. Some of his fourteen children's memories were different. Some of my associates can remember every Dell computer ut-oh but cannot remember a single one from Gateway, but our data records don't show the same conclusions. (I personally can remember every fault of every Democrat, Republican, or other liberal politician. Wish there was a true conservative politician to have a fault.)

Again, just looking for real-life experiences.

Hammer

[ 10-11-2003, 06:57: Message edited by: Hammer ]

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once again from the Ross Seyfried article in the September 1999 Rifle ....

The success and reliability of either depends solely on how well it is made and tuned. Actually the Remington/Sako style extractors are a bit more foolproof. That is, they require less sophistication on the part of the gunmaker to cause them to work perfectly.

Generally a Remington extractor works right out of the box.... If they survive the first box of shells, they usually last almost forever. Because they do not get involved in the feeding and chambering process, there is little that can go wrong.

The Mauser claw, controlled-feed system is certainly a wonderful device. There are one or two traps built into this system that will bite you if given the chance. First, the claw that controls the feeding out of the magazine must have perfect geometry, size, and tension. When they are not correct they either blow the cartridge out in front of the bolt or bind it as it tries to make the corner into the chamber. Further, it is very important the claw be able to cam itself over the round that has inadvertently found its way into the chamber in front of the extractor. If the extractor is set up with zero clearance so it cannot possibly leave a case in the chamber without tearing the rim away (this is common when makers search for perfectly reliable extraction), it is equally impossible for it to get over one that got into the chamber in front of the bolt.

These are what I call catastrophic failures in the field. You have a round mashed into the chamber, the bolt will not close nor do you have any means to remove it. It is one of those untidy situations when you must say, "Please, Mr Charging Lion, wait while I get a cleaning rod."

Hammer

That couldn't have been better written if it was written by Remington themselves. [Roll Eyes]

There is a margin of error in everthing that you do in life. This will always be the case as long as Mr. Murphy is alive and kicking.

Remington makes a nice product. I didn't say great. Just nice. With their feeding and extraction design along with their trigger/safety design, they just have a much greater margin for error than I am comfortable with.

Both of my rifles that I took to Africa were CRF. Eventhough that was their design, it wasn't good enough. I checked the feeding of each and every round that I took. If it didn't feed 100%, it didn't go. I also took great pains to make sure the guns didn't fire unless I pulled the trigger. So the safeties and triggers were thoroughly tested.

Beyond that, I relied on common sense and safe gun handling proceedures. It makes life a lot easier when you can eliminate problems and you only have to concentrate on a couple of items. Personally, I don't want to concern myself with feeding and extraction issues along with misfires. Thus, I have made certain choices.

Unfortunately for Remington, they don't fit into my plans. Except, of course, for the Remington Model 30-S that I picked up a few months ago. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifa course ended yesterday. Proficiency exam starts next week.

So far, one broken extractor in a rem 700 in .416 Rem. Quite a few other rifle problems as well including a delux stock on a Frank Wells .416 cracking up! After the proficiency Charlie Haley is going to compile oll the statistics for the African Hunter Magazine.

(Push Feeds can be ok, but not a Rem 700 in .416!)

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting reply on the Ross Seyfried quotes.

In the same article, Seyfried shows his collection of working rifles which include, but not limited to, Ruger #1, Champlin, Remington, Winchester, Dakota bolt action and single shot, Blaser, Shilen DGA, and Holland & Holland.

Do the sentiments about non-Mauser extractors extend to the Browning A-bolt, Weatherby Mark V, and recent Sakos ?

Would that limit the currently produced dangerous game rifles to Winchester, Dakota, Ruger, and CZ ? Would that eliminate consideration of all other action types such as lever, single-shot, or double rifles ?

How strongly held are the beliefs concerning the necessity of the Mauser extractor ?

If one were visiting Africa on business and were offered an unplanned opportunity to hunt buffalo for free during an extension of the stay using a borrowed rifle and the only rifle available was a Remington 700 in 458 Win Mag, should one turn down the hunting opportunity out of consideration for safety ?

Hammer

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

Here is my example of why feeding and extraction was most important. I wrote about my first buffalo hunt and you will see that I had absolutely no margin for error where feeding and extraction is concerned.

http://www.nookhill.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=003549#000001

one of us
posted Hide Post
I much prefer Mooney aircraft and can itemize many performance and safety advantages of Mooneys. But I have been known to fly Cessna, Piper, Beechcraft, and Bellanca airplanes.

I much prefer Linebaugh revolvers, but I have shot the cheaper Freedom Arms revolver.

But there are things which are make-or-break issues. I would never ride an English saddle. Would ride bareback first. John Wayne's saddles always had horns (except the calvary movies). So will mine.

Is the Mauser extractor a make-or-break issue ?

Hammer

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

My sentiments about the Remingtons (push feeds) do extend to Weatherby (I own a couple), Brownings, and Sakos. I do not have issues with the triggers of the last three like I do for Remington. So one problem is eliminated.

To answer your "Business Trip" question. Most likely I would pass up the hunt for two reasons. First, I wouldn't hunt dangerous game without a rifle that I am completely confident in. Which would eliminate a borrowed rifle. And two, my only choice is a Remington. Which goes back to my first post. This would all be a moot point because I would never travel to Africa without taking one or two of my rifles. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

In the scenarios that you presented, the CRF issue is make or break to me.

As far as the aircraft you fly or the pistols you shoot, they must all fall into the margin of error you are comfortable with. Otherwise you would never take off or pull the trigger. Now would you?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Longbob,

Good reply.

Unfortunately, my travel plans change constantly during my trips. I do end up in places that I had no expectation of going to when I left home. I don't leave the house without an overnight bag and a passport.

I have probably killed as much game with borrowed or imprompto tools as with guns I have spent years planning.

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know many people that use Remingtons, including my good friend George Hoffman and they liked them, but most, like George preferred a control feed when it came down to it...I have a world of respect for Ross and I consider him a friend

HOWEVER

I have seen more failures with pushfeeds than I have with control feeds by a goodly amount, therefore I am opposed to pushfeeds and am a Mod 98 Mauser, and pre-64 Mod. 70 dyed in the wool fan...That will go to the grave with me....

I do respect anyones wishes to pack a Remington and may God rest their soul! [Frown] [Wink]

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I don't care for the Remington extractor (and don't care for some other features on the 700, either), I am confident that the number of extractor failures with the Remington and feeding failures with other push-feed actions when facing dangerous (or other) game is some number fewer than the number of jams (failures) with controlled-feed actions due to a cartridge going directly into the chamber and the extractor failing to "pop" over the rim. I know that not all CF actions will do this, but many, especially the older Mausers, certainly will.

CF advocates dismiss this jamming potential as an issue, saying that it is operator error and the cartridge should always be pressed fully into the magazine for single-loading. My response is that the CF advocates' argument against PF actions is that "short stroking" can lead to a jam. Well, so what? Short stroking is just another example of operator error.

All in all, the net difference in the two actions isn't worth a dead rat in a tampon factory and pontification on the subject is a result of over-active egos, unrealized fantasy, or perhaps hormonal imbalances. [Wink] Have a nice day and don't forget to write.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do the sentiments about non-Mauser extractors extend to the Browning A-bolt, Weatherby Mark V, and recent Sakos ?

Would that limit the currently produced dangerous game rifles to Winchester, Dakota, Ruger, and CZ ? Would that eliminate consideration of all other action types such as lever, single-shot, or double rifles ?

How strongly held are the beliefs concerning the necessity of the Mauser extractor ?

Hammer

#1 Yes it does, I would not hunt dangerous game with any pushfeed rifle regardless who made it!

#2 That about covers it for the boltaction rifles! As to the double rifle I would rather have a good double rifl than any bolt rifle, regardles of make or action!

#3 The EXTRACTOR is only one part of a CRF system! The 700 fitted with a Mauser extractor would still be a push feed, and as such not suited for hunting dangerous game!

As Allen says there is not one reason to make a pushfeed rifle except to cut cost of manufacture. This system was NOT done to improve the Mauser system, but to cut cost, and increase the company's bottom line! The PF system is not the only bad thing about the K-Mart mentality of Remington, they are thrown together,by workers who are not gun people, and care nothing for quality control, only PAY DAY. At least of the other PF rifles you name, the SAKO is at least assembled with some pride!

Regardless no push feed rifle is suitable for use on dangerous game, no matter who makes them! If, however, the PF was all that was available, then I could understand one buying it, but when you have a choice, Well that's a different bag of shot! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At lunch today talked with my 73 year old gunsmith who has been building and fixing guns since 1946. Asked him how many rifle extractors of various makes he had fixed over the years. Now this is not the same as extractor failures, because an extractor might fail in the field but not need to be fixed in the eyes of the shooter.

He said that he figured he had fixed about a half dozen Remingtons, a couple of Winchesters, several military Mausers, and no Sakos. He said during the fifties he fixed quite a few Mausers that were probably broken when someone tried to feed a round without inserting it into the magazine. He has done a brisk business over the years installing Sako extractors on Remingtons for customers who wanted it done.

He also worked on Garands and M14s while in the Army during Korea. He did not consider Garands and M14s to be controlled-feed Mausers. He did not recall the extractor part being a common problem.

He was recalling this from memory, not from written records.

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer, you are not talking to an audience that looks at this issue rationally.

I feel you are wasting time, if you are trying to convince others.

BTW, I agree with you.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer........I believe you are mistaken about Hagel using a Remington for the big bears.....I believe he preferred his .340 for that and I think it was built on a Winchester action , although I agree he mentions using Remingtons for other hunting .

As far as your 'smith not rememering fixing Sako extractor , I can believe that , as the hook assembly is quite strong ; however being a pretty narrow hook it could concievably slip off or tear out a chunk of rim on a stuck case without breaking .

I can live with a good push feed such as a post 64 Winchester or a Sako , but to me the Remington has too many strikes against it with the trigger , safety , and extractor concerns .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reduced cost of using a push-feed system instead of a controlled-feed system is an interesting argument. It might have been true fifty years ago.

Ruger uses a controlled-feed system and their rifles underprice Remingtons, Sakos, Brownings, and Weatherbys who used push-feed.

But the biggest expense of gun companies these days is legal liability. Assume that the failure rate of push-feed systems is so much higher than controlled-feed systems and that people's lives were subsequentially endangered. While this might not be public knowledge, the gun company lawyers would know it. Would not the same lawyers who forced ten pound triggers on us force controlled-feed systems on us ?

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
SDGUNSLINGER,

Thanks for your reply.

In visiting Bob Hagel on a few occasions I noticed the number of custom-stocked rifles on his walls. All had been stocked by Hagel himself. I was surprised by the Remington 700s being there and had just assumed he would have used Pre-64 Winchesters, Springfields, or Mausers.

Look at page 431 of Hagel's Guns, Loads, and Hunting Tips . The caption below the Alaskan brown bear picture reads, "For big game that may get nasty if wounded, the 340 Weatherby is a favorite. This one is built on a late Winchester Model 70 action with French walnut stock and a 4x Redfield with Buehler mount. This Alaskan brown bear was taken with a 250-grain Bitterroot."

Elsewhere on the same page in the narrative, "is built on a post-1964 Model 70 Winchester action made for the 375 H&H cartridge and has a Hobaugh barrel chambered for the 340 Weatherby Magnum cartridge."

This book is copyrighted in 1986 so preceeds the re-introduction of the controlled-feed Winchester, I think.

Think Hagel used many different actions for his rifles ranging from Krags, Springfields, Mausers, Winchesters, and Remingtons. Don't remember him expressing strong preference for any of them over another, but standby to be corrected.

Once again, thanks for the reply. Seeing pictures in magazine articles with Hagel's Winchester 70 in 340 Wby would lead one to assume that it was a controlled-feed Pre-64 action.

Hammer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But there are things which are make-or-break issues. I would never ride an English saddle. Would ride bareback first. John Wayne's saddles always had horns (except the calvary movies). So will mine.

Is the Mauser extractor a make-or-break issue ?

Hammer[/QB]

In reading this thread, as a gunsmith I'd have to agree with most of you. The Remington extractor is not reliable enough for me to use on anything that will bite, skewer or trample me. IMO, the Remington action is poorly designed all around. It has the worst trigger in the industry, the bolt head/recessd barrel design causes total lockup with high pressure situations. Of course the normal guy then takes a stick of firewood to hammer the bolt open which knocks off the soldered on handle, The list goes on. I've built a bunch of African rifles on the old Ruger action. I realy like the design of the Montana Riflesmith action as well. Any good commercial mauser or old Mod 70 is far superior to the Rem action. (IMO)

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an article written somewhere at home, got it off the internet a couple years ago. Don't have it with me so will summarize the incident.

A pair of guys were hunting buffalo, one a new hunter the other the experienced one I think was guiding. The new guy had a remington with him. He took a shot at the buffalo (africa, cape buffalo) as it was broadside to him. It ran perpindicular to where they were standing, as he swung for a second shot he cycled the bolt and because of his movement the cartridge came out as the bolt went forward, he pulled the trigger on an empty chamber.

The other guy took the kill shot and luckily the buff had run and not turned on them. But it was just a failure I had read about regarding a remington so thought i would share.

Personally I like old military rifles anyways, nice seeing what can be done with them, so all my hunting caliber guns are springfield or mauser.

Congratulations to whoever said they got the rem. 30s I passed on one a few months back in .257 roberts because it got beyond my budget constraints. they sure look good though. (never seen one in person).

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Orion 1,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not looking to convince anyone, including myself. Just looking for real-life data on the issue in question. Is a push-feed system inherently less safe in dangerous game hunting than a controlled-feed system ?

Twenty-plus years ago I was asking for advice from gundealers concerning the proper rings and mounts for putting a Leupold scope on a 300 Win Mag Winchester 70. When I mentioned Weaver, I got verbally attacked by every gunshop employee and patron. I assumed from their reaction that Weaver systems must fail daily in normal use. Not knowing any better, I wrote a letter to Weaver asking about their scope mounting system failure rate. I got a telephone call that same week from a Weaver company executive wanting to know if I had had a Weaver mounting system fail. I assured him that I had not (thinking naively that I might be in trouble for no known reason). He wanted to know if I knew anyone that had personally had a Weaver system fail. I did not. He then unloaded on me about how they wished someone with personal failure experience would contact them. They were tired of unsubstantiated rumors running amonk in gun stores.

Now days I see Weaver-looking systems on all sorts of very expensive rifles.

One high-end custom gunsmith told me that Weaver's biggest problem was that they did not charge enough. If Weavers sold for $100 a set and claimed they were exotic high-tech, they would sell many more.

Did notice Bob Hagel using a Weaver set when testing a 458 Win Mag rifle.

And, no I don't use many Weaver mounting systems. Most of mine are Leupold or Tally.

I learned long ago not to try to convince anyone of anything. Just trying to collect data on a fight that I don't have a dog in. Once again, I already have my controlled-feed dangerous game rifles. Just seeing if there really is a story here.

Hammer

[ 10-11-2003, 03:23: Message edited by: Hammer ]

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Dago,

It was me that bought the 30-S Remington. It is a 30-06. I can't wait to take it to the range. They are really neat. It would be great if Remington would go back to them, then maybe Winchester will be forced to improve their quality. A fella can dream, can't they? [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
If we accept that the Remington is a piece of junk, a danger to children, and a blot on modern society...

Do the harsh sentiments still hold on other push-feed rifles like the Browning A-bolt, Sako, and Weatherby Mark V ?

Hammer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reduced cost of using a push-feed system instead of a controlled-feed system is an interesting argument. It might have been true fifty years ago.

Ruger uses a controlled-feed system and their rifles underprice Remingtons, Sakos, Brownings, and Weatherbys who used push-feed.

Just goes to show that idiots like KurtC, who know NOTHING about manufacturing economics, love to run their mouths and look stupid just to hear themselves talk.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The various shooting schools must see a lot of gun failures during their classes.

During one rifle class at Jeff Cooper's old Gunsite, all but one rifle/scope failed during the week while shooting an average of six-hundred shots per participant.

Wonder if Gunsite or any other school keeps failure records by gun type ?

Hammer

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KurtC:
Going in harm's way with a firearm made by the lowest bidder will give you an uneasy feeling that depreciates the thrill of the hunt.

You will feel much better carrying a firearm that was designed to work more reliably with each modification. Instead of one that was concieved by removing features deemed uneccessary by a bean counter.

I can still remember looking for the extractor on my first Remington. I thought I had gotten an unfinished rifle, until someone pointed out the fact that it doesn't really have one in the tangible sense. It relies on the policy of "wishful thinking" to extract a cartridge, which may or may not work when you need it to.

KurtC has said it all and well.

[ 10-11-2003, 04:19: Message edited by: mrlexma ]

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently have 4 custom Remington rifles that I believe to be the finest rifles available for their intended purpose. While I believe my Remintons are the finest rifles a guy could have for North American hunting I am not sure they are perfect for dangerous game.

I also have a couple of Brno and Mauser actions that could eventually become perfect dangerous game rifles but I am not sure.

Why?

The problem comes when I consider how many tens of thousands of rounds I have fired through my Remingtons and how few rounds I have fired through CRF actions. I feel so comfortable with my Remingtons that disaster (pilot error) is more likely to occur with a new (to me) action type.

Any thoughts?

Jamie

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
quote:
Originally posted by KurtC:

KurtC has said it all and well.
I have seen Kurt Chanti say nothing intelligent and thoughtful in the entire time I've been here.

"Remingtons suck because I said so" is the essence of his argument.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Many references have been made to poor Remington quality. I myself have had a Remington 700 bolt stop fail during a week long rifle class. Saw a friend's Remington 700 trigger fail during a prairie dog hunt. But neither of these are specific to push-feed systems.

I have also seen other firearms fail too. Had the front sight of a Colt 1911 fall off during the Saturday shoot-off at a Gunsite course as Cooper was yelling, "Watch your front sight!" Still carry 1911s though.

Most of the equipment failures I have seen in Africa were related to scopes or scope mounts. Saw the crosshairs of a Leupold fall loose during the recoil of a 350.

Hammer

[ 10-11-2003, 07:16: Message edited by: Hammer ]