Find
Notify
Tools

Is this Lion a taker?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
Let us say you are on a Lion hunt and this is the best possible view you get of this Lion. Study him and yes he is with his girlfriend but this is not a pride scenario and their are no dependant cubs.

Is he of age? Six? Is he a nomad, courting pride male or an outcast?

Would be interested for opinions across the board and especially from those in the know.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9957 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Let us say you are on a Lion hunt and this is the best possible view you get of this Lion. Study him and yes he is with his girlfriend but this is not a pride scenario and their are no dependant cubs.

Would be interested for opinions across the board and especially from those in the know.

I'll be the first absolute non-expert to weigh in. In this case I can only see less than half the Lion. The face carries some scars (the female has really seen better days), the nose looks black (for whatever that is worth, the mane lays facing rearward, not forward, and the coat colors, especially along the back are quite dark.

If this was early in the hunt and this cat was happy on bait, since he does have a female with perhaps further observation is in order. If it's later in the hunt and the cat has been observed to only be with this female then (wait for it)......he's fairgame.

Bottom line is I personally will be relying on the talent and expertise of my PH this June and he does appear to have quite a bit of knowledge judging the maturity of game including Lion.

Where's the picture from Andrew?

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jvalha
posted Hide Post
Well , I have never hunted Lions yet! But I will give it a try, hoping somebody with the right intel will answear on this thread!
There is clearly a visible mohawk and obviously the ears are very visible that puts the cat inn the 3-4 years category!On the other hand there is very much pigmentation on the nose, there is a light area on the nosetip, but still 80-90% black? If that is correct this cat is 7-8 years old and a shooter. There is also some scarring, both ears are cut up..
So what is significant? I will think it depends on area , some of the central African lions dont develope a lot of mane, there are also some genetical issues when it comes to big manes.
I think I will have to depend on the PH here (unless its All Gones PH), I cant answear the question.
But i am hoping somebody will Smiler

Posts: 37 | Location: Norge | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

I'm no expert either but my guess is it's a shooter. Your pic? From where?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Clearly a shooter, IMO.

Andrew, PM re: safari outbound to you.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Study him and yes he is with his girlfriend but this is not a pride scenario and their are no dependant cubs.

It looks like him and his lady are outcasts. I would think that he is of age due to his mostly black nose and facial scaring.

His lady seems to be missing and eye and has a great deal of scarring for a female. I have seen that prides will kick lame females out of the pride, so I would guess that is what has happened here.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
They look like Zambezi valley maneaters. I know there is going to be a twist here, but I say boom, and if the tag is there, boom again! Ja, now contrary to what I wrote on the leopard thread, I reckon they should start shooting more female lions in Zim's Zambezi valley and give the males a break.

These lions are what I always imagined the maneaters of Chimutsi dam to look like.....

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
OK chaps location is irrelevant and let us dismiss the female.

You are in a blind and this is the very best look you get at him. You have seen his spoor over a few days and he is independent or rather singular. You have seen him in the twilight hours and your PH maybe hesitant.

Is he a younger nomad or an aged outcast?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Nose colour is not an age indicator in Zambia.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is he a younger nomad or an aged outcast?

In the blind I would defer to your expertise but I'll pick number two aged outcast.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
As my buddy Mr. Jines wrote, I would shoot him and never post a picture on AR.

Seriously, he appears old to me, but I am not a lion expert like most on AR.

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
As my buddy Mr. Jines wrote, I would shoot him and never post a picture on AR.

Seriously, he appears old to me, but I am not a lion expert like most on AR.

animal

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nose colour is not an age indicator in Zambia.

Ah, you have given the game away....

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The echo would be sounding in the ph's ears.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Not before consulting with my vet.....eran PH.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I'd give him a pass.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
With that drooping chin and lower lip plus his dark colour I would guess he is. The female certainly looks old.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
If my PH advised me to shoot, we'd be taking dead animal pictures.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Have a look at his legs and does anyone see a spot pattern? Is his mane dense? He is also lying in shadow. The Lioness could be the male's mother?

So far we have a minimum of 3 plus. Safari Lawyer has turned him down.

Would like Lane and Aaron to comment before I post more pictures, but what I am getting at is this maybe the best sight a PH gets of the Lion and ultimately we have to make the call.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would like Lane and Aaron to comment before I post more pictures,

Andrew,
Are we getting ready to see a picture of this lion with a hunter squatting behind it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd shoot him just for having such an ugly girlfriend....

troy

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I would shoot the female as I have never had the desire to kill a male of any age or status, but dearly wanted to shoot a female.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
I would shoot the female as I have never had the desire to kill a male of any age or status, but dearly wanted to shoot a female.

Plus one I think a lioness make a great mount and a stalking hunt for lioness would be great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think he's 6.

His mane is a little thin, and I see what Fairgame is saying about the spots, although I did not really pick up on it when I first saw the photo, and just thought it was due to the lighting.

Honestly, if this is all the better look I will get on him, I'm passing unless my PH is certain.

Even if he is 6, the relative thinness of the mane makes him not the lion I would be looking for.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am at my deer hunting camp and looking at the pic on my Iphone. With that pic...I would vote 4-5 and would not shoot him without seeing more to convince me he was older.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Come on Lane are you going to shoot or not? It is a $50,000 question. The pictures are good.

Here is another.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Unless my PH says otherwise, he is ging to be going back to the skinning shed with us.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Unless my PH says otherwise, he is ging to be going back to the skinning shed with us.

Yep, boom is still my call.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Indeed - Andrew bring the vehicle and guys to load it.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mouse93:
Indeed - Andrew bring the vehicle and guys to load it.

I'd like to see more views, but at this point I'm leaning towards agreeing with you. That said I'm wanting a pro's oppinion on this one! If he says no I'm ok with that.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don`t thin k it is, looks a bit immature to me.

Posts: 203 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the Zambezi valley shoot now << in matetsi pass

Posts: 49 | Location: ZIMBABWE | Registered: 17 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ross-The Zam Valley for sure, Save, Matetsi, Masailand pass

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
But that's the thing isn't it? These lions almost have to be valley residents, they have the look....

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I would shoot him unless the PH said he wasn't a trophy as I know nothing of lions. I like his very rugged looking face.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your question Andrew is really two-fold, IMO. Would I personally shoot him, well, depends on where I was hunting? Do I think he's old/mature enough to make an acceptable/quality trophy, ABSOLUTELY!! Would I ever shoot a lion, and be ashamed, or apprehensive to post him on AR, or anywhere else, heck no!! If you are, that should tell you something about your lion. Would I be happy with this lion as a trophy, yep!!

I will say this though, if I was guiding/hunting in TZ, with the new 6 yr old LAW, I would absolutely wait until I could see more. Its the law!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Good call most of you and the Zim hunters know their Lions. This is in fact a pride male and was recently photographed in Lower Zambezi.

When i first saw photo one I guessed about a four year old but having seen a number of photographs and indeed some excellent video of this male responding aggressively to another I changed my mind and added a couple of years. Therefore he would be a taker once removed from the pride.

This is little more than an illustration to show that for us PH's often light (or lack of) angle of head etc can be confusing when guessing age. Most Lions in hunting concessions are secretive and a quick glimpse as in the first photo is often all you will get.

Safari Lawyer you missed out mate.

What age say the Zim chaps?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at all the pics posted, and the last one is awesome by the way. I'm confident he's well over 6 yrs old. His pride status might make him a non-shooter, but certainly not his age or trophy quality. JMO.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dtala, that's a funny post.

Dutch