Find
Notify
Tools

Is this Lion a taker?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Great character! If he were alone, he would be going down.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
They look like Zambezi valley maneaters. I know there is going to be a twist here, but I say boom, and if the tag is there, boom again! Ja, now contrary to what I wrote on the leopard thread, I reckon they should start shooting more female lions in Zim's Zambezi valley and give the males a break.

These lions are what I always imagined the maneaters of Chimutsi dam to look like.....

I do not pretend to be a lion hunter, so anything I have to say can be taken as a guess!

I don't think any one of those signs is definitive to judge age, but a combination of those tells me he may be a younger Nomad. IMO mane size is the least reliable sign of age in some areas! Some old lions suffer from alopecia and have spotty noses. In this case and in most cases I would yield to my PH’s judgment!

I agree with David, and have been saying all along the one of the things that can be done, and not totally stop lion hunting is hunting dry females to give some relief to the males for a while. On bait it is easier to judge age, but in tracking prides the females are more dangerous IMO, than the males. The males will usually split from the females when pressed, and the females stay together. With the females you stand a greater chance of getting a charge, and many time a multiple charge, so a real danger is there, if danger is your game!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

When i first saw photo one I guessed about a four year old but having seen a number of photographs and indeed some excellent video of this male responding aggressively to another I changed my mind and added a couple of years. Therefore he would be a taker once removed from the pride.

This paragraph says it all Andrew...watch until you have enough info (plus or minus trail cam photos) and make your decision.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He may be six years old but he isn't my dream lion by any means.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
NO WAY TO KNOW IF HE IS OLD ENOUGH UNTIL I SEE HIS DENTAL XRAYS AND PSA LEVEL( IN LEU OF A PROSTATE EXAM). UNLIKE DAWNROAR, I WOULDN'T JUST SHOOT BECAUSE MY PH TOLD ME TO- AFTER ALL, I KNOW AS MUCH AS THEM. OH THAT'S RIGHT- HIS OPINION CHANGES DEPENDING ON WHO IS PAYING HIM

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13403 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
He may be six years old but he isn't my dream lion by any means.

465H&H

Each to his own. I will never shoot a trophy lion myself, but I would much rather have a crack at this one in the lower Zambezi than one of those with the neat hairstyle on the open plains.... Smiler

Boom BOOM

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would much rather have a crack at this one in the lower Zambezi than one of those with the neat hairstyle on the open plains....

+1

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
I would much rather have a crack at this one in the lower Zambezi than one of those with the neat hairstyle on the open plains....

+1

+2

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nose colour is not an age indicator in Zambia.

That's strange!
Dr Paula White claimed as recently as 2009 that it was!