THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What do you carry on your person while hunting in Africa
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you carry on your person while hunting in Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
I have my own little kits and such for hunting around home and out West, but what do you carry both in the truck and on you while on safari?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Lets first assume that you are actually going to be in the bush and on a walking safari where you may end up 10ks from the vehicle.

flask of old bushmills
cuban cigars
10 spare rounds of Ammo
Small first aid kit
Matches
24 oz water
GPS - use the MOB function when you exit the vehicle
Bino's
Multi purpose tool
spare shoes laces
two power bars
light weight leather gloves
Compass
small flashlight
cable saw
flexible cleaningrod, couple of soaked patches
wide brim hat
camera
toilet paper
handi wipe sanitary towlettes
extra roll of film

If you are on a driving safari you can cut that list down

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Some of it is in pants pockets or neck and some in a fanny pack.......

Extra ammo
sun screen
pocket digital camera
lip balm
bottle water
face net <--- damn Mopane flies
bandana
toilet paper <---------A girls' must have
small knife
head lamp
bino's and or range finders

In the hunting car one hopes for plenty of fluids packed in a cool box, some snacks, a first aid kit, gun and or bow case, warm clothes for the ride back to camp. Brrrrr!

~Ann

Posts: 19545 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I must be a minimalist!

When I get onto the truck in the morning, I take a small bag that has:

Spare ammo
A pair of binoculars - usually a 10x42 Leica
Digital camera with a zoom lense + spare batteries.
Wet wipes
Boiled sweets
Chewing gum

I wear an ammo belt that has 20 rounds and a small knife. This I keep on all day, Whether in the truck or walking.

A small pocket digital camera is always in my pocket.

As we leave the truck, I take some of the sweets and chewing gum and put them in my pocket.

I pass these along to everyone on the walk every hour or so.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68621 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I'm even worse. I don't take the wet wipes, the boiled sweets or the chewing gum. A thermos of coffee is nice, though . . . I have one of the trackers carry it and share it around at break. The trackers in Zim really appreciated that.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Having worked the street a bunch of years we have a saying...

tis better to have and not need then need and not have...

you did notice the order of my list did you not

Saeed - by the way...what is up with all the ammo...you plan on starting to miss a lot...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I carry as little as possible. In my camera kit bag I carry an extra box or two of cartridges, lens cleaning stuff, a silicone rag in a sealed pouch, camera (of course!), batteries, film, extra lenses, plus sunscreen.

I always take a jacket along, and I always carry a 'Surefire' flashlight in the pocket, plus Kleenex, etc.

On my person I carry a leather pocket-type cartridge holder (Westley Richards) in my right front shirt pocket, and my passport in a small Ziplock bag in my left front shirt pocket. Right pants pocket carrys a spare set of keys to my luggage and riflecase, plus two extra cartridges. My left front pocket carrys Chapstick and a Victorinox 'Cadet' Swiss Army knife.

On my belt I carry a cartridge wallet (sometimes two) a sheath knife, and a pair of leather gloves, and I strongly prefer Churchill brand gloves.

Of course, I always have binoculars (Leica's) around my neck, from daylight to dark.

My billfold, paperwork, airline tickets, etc., I leave locked-up in my guncase back in camp, and the guncase is secured with a covered cable-type bicycle lock.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifle, cartridge belt, pocket knife, binocs most of the time. My belt has a quick rod and a small workman tool or whatever you call it...

I go light.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well...when we get lost you guys are gonna want me to share the od busmills and the cubans

Mike

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
My list sounds pretty much like the others.

ON ME:

Ammmo belt and 20 rounds of ammo;
Rifle;
Sunglasses;
Watch;
Fingerless gloves;
Bandana;
Head net;
Hard candy;
Binoculars;
Pocket knife;
Ear plugs;
Travel Kleenex and wet wipes; and
GPS.

My wife carries the camera.

IN the DAYPACK (in the vehicle);

Travel Kleenex;
Wet Wipes;
Asparin;
Bandaids;
Moleskin;
Eye Drops;
Pepto-Bismal Tablets;
Flashlight;
Batteries (camera);
Bug Spray;
Sunscreen;
Candy (for the trackers);
Water Bottle;
Warm Gloves;
Stocking Cap;
Gun Cleaning Kit;
Extra Ammo;
Cigarette Lighter;
Lenspen;
Warm Jacket;
Broad Brimmed Hat; and
Small Notebook and Pen.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike D., if you really carry all that crap, you can't be walking very far.

I carry 10 rounds of ammo. Maybe a camera, and maybe not (the trackers will bring the truck around when you shoot something anyway). Binos depending on what game we are after. That's it.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
guys, read carefully...the only thing I really carry any different is water and a gps...all that other stuff ways nothing...

matter of fact cause I carry less ammo we are close to even...

and Dan...its called training...if you do 1/2 Dome in a day which is 18 miles round trip and a 4500 ft climb...15k of safari is nothin

Mike

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
On my belt:
10 rounds of ammo
1st Aid kit
GPS
Gerber knife/tool kit

on/in my shirt;
4 extra rounds of ammo
binos
toilet paper

trackermatic;
water
radio

in the truck;
bigger 1st aid kit
torch
extra knife
extra ammo
pen & paper
cameras
sweets
couple of reference books for the clients
radio
toilet paper

In camp;
even bigger 1st Aid kit
lots of other stuff

one of us
posted Hide Post
15 rounds of ammo..... a knife and water bottle compass and map.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did anyone mention depenz... Big Grin in case you have one of those nasty occasions you actually survive! troll

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I`m also kind of a minimalist.
Spare ammo, binos, camera, extra film, Leatherman, warm jacket (if not on)... Maybe a chokolate or two.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gun, ammo, knife, leatherman micra, bino, camera, first-aid, toilet paper, biltong, peanuts and raisins, water.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only 1 or 2 mentions of water.... I'm surprised.... or is it carried for you?

EKM

----------------------------------
Never Go Undergunned, Always Check The Sight In, Perform At Show Time.

Good judgment comes from bad experience! Learn from the mistakes of others as you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

Posts: 289 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
ElkampMaster,

First, the trackers will carry just about anything for you that you ask. As a matter of fact I don't think I have ever had them say no. So they will carryy your water.

I personally just prefer to carry it myself. All the stuff I described fits is a small fanny pack that has two water bottle pouches.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always went pretty light. Binos, maybe depending on game and area. 15 rounds of ammo, I always figured I'd live to fight another day if I ran out, never have.A few pieces of hard candy. In the Sudan rain forest and the CAR where we walked a lot we took a porter or two to carry cameras, tripod, water and etc.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First thing I do is check to see what the PH has one of the trackers carry in the pack. If he is already carrying water, toilet paper and a first aid kit and some food I don't take any. When dangerous game hunting for elephant or buffalo I carry a small set of binos in my shirt pocket, a set of tweezers to pull thorns (seems every one wants to use those at some time), 20 rounds of ammo in a culling belt, eye glasses (for eye protection from thorns spitting cobras) and a few band aids for blisters. If I am hunting cats I also carry a hand gun. When elephant hunting I also like to carry a small measuring tape to measure elephant tracks (bit anal about that) and my own wind direction powder in a small plastic squeeze bottle.

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know who the hell you guys hunt with but we have two trackers, a water boy and probably another camp staffer to carry all that crap your packing...They would even carry your rifle if you wish and that BTW is an honor to them, it gives them prestiege in camp....however I mostly carry my rifle as one never knows when you will stumble into a wounded Buffalo, it has happened to us two years running and got a bit cheeky to say the least....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Count me as a minimalist.

I normaly have about 10 rounds of ammo with me, binos, a small flashlight, a watch and a knife in my pocket. I don't like carrying a bunch of crap and I can go a long way without water, we have walked as much as 6 hours in 90+deg weather. Sure, I was glad to see the truck when we got back but the next day I still didn't feel the need to carry a water bottle.

In the truck, or car as they say, we normaly have more ammo, a light jacket, sunglass, 2 to 3 cameras and LaRita ALWAYs has enough candy for everyone, she keeps the tracker well supplied with sweets.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Survival Kit contents check: (Slightly modified from Major T.J. Kong's kit).

In them you will find:

1. One .45 caliber automatic.
2. Two boxes of ammunition.
3. Four days concentrated emergency rations.
4. One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills.
5. One miniature combination Swahili phrase book and Bible.
6. One hundred dollars in cash.
7. One hundred dollars in gold.
8. Nine packs of chewing gum.
9. One issue of prophylactics.
10. Three lipsticks.
11. Three pairs of nylon stockings.

Shoot, a fellah could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff . . . .

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I take a small bag with a jacket for the ride to, and from camp, a flashlight, and a GPS.This is usually left in the bakki, unless we are going to be on foot for a long period, then it is handed to a tracker.

I use a Culling belt, with 20 rounds of ammo, a small sheeth knife, a little pouch that holds a Little Mg-light, sun screen, and bug juice, and band-aids for blisters. The little GPS goes in that pouch as well, unless the PH has one. I carry small Bi-nocs over my neck, and under my left arm, a digital camara in my vest pocket, and my rifle! Most times I hunt wearing shorts, or Wranglers, and a T-shirt, and light pocket vest, baseball type cap, and eyeglasses. If bugs are bad, I replace the vest for a longsleeved shirt.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my person I carry:
Swiss Army knife
two lighters
Leatherman Wave
Folding hunting knife
compass
binoculars
Surefire flashlight
sheath knife
bullet carrier
sunglasses
On the truck I have a Filson back pack I use as a truck/carry bag. In it I carry a digital camera, a Polaroid camera, extra ammo, anti-bacterial hand wipes, larger flashlight, GPS, bug spray, larger binoculars, extra film, extra sunglasses, and an extra hat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I forgot about the sunscreen LaRita keeps in the car. Then again I'm reminded she a packrat and always carries twice as much junk than I do. So if I aint got it odds are she has it somewhere in the car. Most of the time the only problem is finding it. Confused

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
20-30 rounds of ammo; some in a belt case and some on my rifle in a butt caddy, some more on the sling.
I use leather belt on which is the aforementioned belt case for ammo and a USArmy magazine carrier in which I carry:
lighter
eye glass repair kit in very small tube
multitool
Toilet paper which doubles as lens paper
lens cleaner
small zip lock with:
lomotil
tylenol
pseudafed
bandaids
foil packs of antiseptic
mole skin
bug dope

On my person:
Handkerchief
flashlight-small
camera
purex handcleaner
towelettes
life saver indiv. wrapped candies
compass

Wear
brimmed hat
hunting vest
shirt
trousers
light sweater
wool socks
comfortable shoes

on Truck
Day bag
cleaning kit
Jacket
video cam
extra tape
charger in truck with battery for camera(s)
extra rifle with ammo

I agree with the statement above which says basically that it is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

if you do 1/2 Dome in a day which is 18 miles round trip and a 4500 ft climb...

What the heck is a "1/2 Dome" and are you trying to lead us to believe that your workout is 18 miles per day?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my person I carry:
My rifle, with ammo on the buttstock.
A Murray belt with 15 rounds of ammo.
A 4" S&W Mod 629 44 Mag in a crossdraw holster with 2 6 round speed loaders.
A Puma folding knife.
A Leatherman tool.
A Canon Digital camera [S500].
A pen and a small notebook.
A Swiss Army knife and a Kershaw Ken Onion pocket knife I won when I outshot the rest of the SWAT Team in a school taught by EX Delta force personel [It is so handy I never go anywhere with out it] carried in my pocket.
Tikka Tatical head light.

In a Filson bag in the "Safari Car" I carry extra ammo for both rifles and pistol, extra camera memory cards, some power bars, gloves and pullover hood [ for leopard/lion blind], flashlights, extra batteries.
Takedown cleaning rod with enough patches/solvent to clean mud, etc out of the bbl.
There may be some other odds and ends I can't remember right now.
I took a camelback but did not use it as the trackers carried bottled water.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Here is what Walter carries, and please bear in mind that he does not walk more than 50 yards from the truck.

A GPS, sometimes 2
A short wave radio
Cassete player
Portable DVD player
Video camera
Digital camera
Film camera
Assorted books and magazines
A knife
A Can opener
Wire cutters
Several small voice recorders/players to annoy the PH with
Chocolates
Sandwiches
Biscuits
Left over T-bone steaks from the night before
Jerky

He leaves me to carry his extra ammo, as he normally requires a few "practice" shots at any animal before he connects with it.

We have discovered a way of making animal invisible to the PH and trackers.

All we need to do is say "it is Walter's turn to shoot the next animal"

It is incredible how well this works on them.

Funny enough, it does not seem to work on us city dwellers. As we saw literally dozens of animals of all kinds. Some are almost run over by the truck. But, they remain invisible to the PH and trackers.

Walter would be screaming "STOP! STOP! STOP! There is a warthog there"

The PH just continues driving, saying over his shoulders "stop hallucinating Walter. There is no warthog there. Just sit down and relax, we will soon be back in camp for you to have more food"

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68621 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Dan,

My work out is 5 miles a day in about 58 minutes (never was much of a road work guy) combination of jogging and brisk walk...

Half Dome as in Yosemite National Park. The hike is a day hike. You obviously have to take food, a first aid kit, and usually about 3 liters of water in a camelback. Which you drink on the way up and then refill and drink almost the rest on the way down. Round trip is 18 miles and about a 4500 ft increase in altitude. I usually do it once a year.

My point is if you get in shape you can carry a little bit of gear and not slow yourself down...

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~rpang/yosemite-2002/before-final-ascent-to-half-dome.jpg

http://www.uh.edu/~doan2580/Half%20Dome.jpg

http://www.uh.edu/~doan2580/Half%20Dome%20Closeup.jpg

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifle, 30 rounds of ammo (.375 or lighter), swiss army knife, binos, chap stick, and my tired ass.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

trackermatic;

Hey I've enquired and telephoned all over town for one of those, and none of the camping stores have one. No "blackamatics" either. Hell they are hopeless when they don' carry adequate stocks of essentials.

My list of gear to carry

On my person:

• approx eight to ten rounds on one or two leather belt pouches;
  • binoculars;
  • maglight and leatherman also in leather belt pouches;
  • suntan cream - ideally has bug repellant in it as well
  • broad brimmed hat
  • toilet paper
  • matches
  • usually some water - how many times has your PH only carried ONE water container and shared it with himself, all the trackers as well as YOU the client. How many diseases are widespread in Africa and can be transmitted by saliva??? I know having caught one that way
  • water purification tablets
  • fly screen head net - useful if one spends 'lunch' out in the bush without returning to the vehicle
  • digital camera, flash etc in a bum bag - often left in the vehicle.
  • small compass

Why does anyone carry a sheath knife? Does the client ever use it?

In the vehicle bag, additional ammo, additional camera gear, bug repellant spray, toilet paper, small first aid kit with anti-allergenic tablets etc. Novel, pen and writing pad. Animal and bird reference book or two. Sunglasses. Also some petite cigars which I had out to everyone if we get a good trophy.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

That half dome is the kind of ascent that I love. Hills are for me, but I do not run them any more due to lousy knees.

one of us
posted Hide Post
binoculars, handful of paper towells, tape measure, small water flask, sunglasses and some spare ammo in my belt. Anything else can stay in the truck or someone else will have to carry it

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I see these references to a 20-round belt. Okay, what kind of classy ammo belt should I buy for my first safari? I'm thinking some kind of "web" affair, for comfort, with leather loops for the ammo... right?

Russ

The doing of unpleasant deeds calls for people of an unpleasant nature.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rifle
10 rounds of ammo
sunglasses
cigar
butane lighter
small swiss army pen knife

If some of you guys carry what you say, you must sound like a marimba band going through the countryside.

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Trackermatics are paid for the job mentioned and do take serious pride in carrying all for you,Ray does do it right though and carry his weapon as some trackers tend to bolt with essentials when steamy buffalo emerge from the undergrowth.
Walmart has a very easy remedy for all candy fans it is called mountain trail mix , bottled water binos ,knife and ammo let the trackers carry all the other stuff.Charter flights have weight restrictions and most phs will have whatever else you may need in the truck.

Elephant hunting when walking will teach you quickly how to lighten the load.
If this is your first time take it all and you will find as others have here what you may need and what you will not.

KIND REGARDS
IAN .C.DODDS
HUNTING HARD,SHOOTING STRAIGHT AND LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT.
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I don't know who the hell you guys hunt with but we have two trackers, a water boy and probably another camp staffer to carry all that crap your packing...They would even carry your rifle if you wish and that BTW is an honor to them, it gives them prestiege in camp....however I mostly carry my rifle as one never knows when you will stumble into a wounded Buffalo, it has happened to us two years running and got a bit cheeky to say the least....

Ian Cundill Dodds
Hunters Africa
www.huntersafricagroup.com

Posts: 26 | Location: texas | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Russ,

Good to see you posting again bud!

What caliber do you need an ammo carrier for??

Unless Ray chimes in here, drop him a PM with regards the ammo carrier...I seem to recall he modified one that was available from Cabelas to make a decent "culling belt"...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote