THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Taxidermy Enterprizes dip and pack charges BEWARE!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taxidermy Enterprizes dip and pack charges BEWARE!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted
As you all know I normally refrain from bad mouthing anyone on these forums, nothing good usually comes from it IMHO, but I believe this should be told. Taxidermy Enterprizes out of Bulawayo is charging one of my customers over 2950.00 JUST FOR DIP and PACK. This DOES NOT include freight to the USA. They refuse to reduce the charges. By the time his crate gets here the total charges will be 4500-5000.00, that is outrageous!

It includes 22 animals, 6-8 of them just skulls, Giraffe cape and Buffalo cape,Crocodile and various other shoulder mounts, so it is a large Safari, BUT, 2950.00!!

I just recieved a notice from Any Hunter's dip and pack company and they charged 500.00 for dip and pack of a 20+ specie shipment for another customer of mine , that is about the norm.

Dip and Pack charges usually run anywhere from 500.00 - 1000.00 depending on the contents, 2950.00 for just dip and pack charges is just plain ole gouging.

I just thought I'd let you know, if you have plans on going this year and your PH uses Taxidermy Enterprizes for their dip and pack, this is what you can expect. I would definitely research with your PH who does the dip and pack of his trophy shipments and find out details of how they charge. If you have trophies at Taxidermy Enterprizes now and haven't been contacted yet , GET READY.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got one from Namibia for a plains game hunt. 15 animals skulls and capes, they charged $100 to clean skulls and then 40-100 for each cape, 8.00 per warthog tusk, etc, etc. $2500.00 not icluding any shipping. I believe I am going to tell them to stick it! I do have a few animals I would like to get back but not $2500 worth.

After 7 trips I am done with taxidermy from Africa.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Are these charges ever discussed BEFOREHAND? If not, why? Does your PH or outfitter say, " I use X company" and that is the end of the conversation?

Not a slam on you, just wondering.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
They hit me pretty hard for the stuff they sent me too Jerry, and we know they didn't do everything the way I wanted it- plus it took 18 months to get it going. Mine wasn't very extensive either. Next time I am in Zim, I will not use them!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
The Dip Pack Ship issue is that important I suggest the AR forum owners maybe delete one of the other (more irrelavent) topics and rather INCLUDE a NEW special topic category named:

Africa Hunting Trophies - Dip Pack and Ship

I promise it would be a (very very good category) subject to have all on its own, not only for those offering their business service to hunters, BUT for the hunter/guests to use as a focused information board.

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
Are these charges ever discussed BEFOREHAND? If not, why? Does your PH or outfitter say, " I use X company" and that is the end of the conversation?

Not a slam on you, just wondering.

No slam I did not ask, usually I do not care. I can say in the past I have felt ripped off by shipping company, port charges, etc.

I do not think I have ever been charged this much for dip and pack I will go back check past trips.

I have no problem telling them to keep the trophies.

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Ouch! Scary. I have a croc, buff, hippo and a few small things with them right now. I decided to let them mount it, and I have a quote. It didn't seem out of line. Wonder what it would have been with just the dip and pack Confused

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tradewinds:
I just got one from Namibia for a plains game hunt. 15 animals skulls and capes, they charged $100 to clean skulls and then 40-100 for each cape, 8.00 per warthog tusk, etc, etc. $2500.00 not icluding any shipping. I believe I am going to tell them to stick it! I do have a few animals I would like to get back but not $2500 worth.

After 7 trips I am done with taxidermy from Africa.

Who was it in Namibia? If you do not wish to post the name here please PM me with it.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tradewinds,

Who did you use in Namibia? I will be going in May.
PM if you feel better about it.

Thanks

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ouch. I was gorking a bit over my dip pack from Namibia this year but this is much worse. Here is my list from Reiser Taxidermy in Windhoek. I guess everything goes up.

Resiser Taxidermy
Invoice R08/443

Administration 60.00
2 Capes (drying,folding and disinfecting 60.00
1 eland backskin tanned 260.00
4 eland feet as bookends 360.00
6 hides (drying, folding, disinfecting) 300.00
1 skull cleaning and disinfecting
Aardvark 80.00
Aardwolf 80.00
Caracal 80.00
Genette 60.00
1 skull and horns cleaning and
disinfecting impala 80.00
2 skulls and horns cleaning and
disinfecting gemsbok 120.00
1 skull and horns cleaning and
disinfecting dik dik 40.00

Subtotal 1580.00
Packaging 180.00
Total 1760.00
It would appear that dip/pack is more profitable than full taxidermy or am I wrong?
Also dosnt include shipping etc. Then they didnt want to discuss prices on my elephant until later accordng to the email.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
This subject has become a "stick in the eye" for most all of us who hunt the dark continent and other International destinations. Are we being ripped a new one? Hell yes, and don't think otherwise. Currently, I am withholding some comments, but soon I'll have plenty to say. The wise will read and heed. Those asleep at the wheel will blow it off, but be the first to cry Wolf when they get their ass took to the cleaners. I have been researching this increasing problem for some time now and in the near future will be only doing business with those companies who are: A. Competent B. Reliable C. Licensed, Bonded and Insured and D. Reasonable and fair. It's become the second highest expense for a safari and certainly over priced.
Cheers,
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
couple of years ago they tried to stick me for extra taxidermy work that i had not ordered. I told them to stick it, all i ordered was pack and ship, not taxidermy work. it does seem like that there are increasing numbers or problems with taxidermy enterprises each day. i have noticed on more than one occasion that the outfitter just informs the client that that is where their stuff is going, without consulting first. few years back they had developed a terrible reputation, which they had worked on fixing, and now it does seem like they are going back to the old ways

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had very good success on my dip and pack and shipping from my trip to Namibia. I shipped the following - Mt Zebra, Eland, Gemsbok, Kudu, Blesbok all the back skins, skulls and horns. My total dip and pack + shipping back to the US was $800.00. Clearing with Flora and Fauna and inbound freight to the tannery was another $400. My total bill was $1200.00

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow.

My dip and pack was I think $300 and freight and everything from Zambia to Atlanta for my crate was $1,100 (including Coppersmith's fees) total bill of $1,400. Your customer is getting screwed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
(4) Gemsbuck Clean/Bleach $96.00 ea.
(4) Gemsbuck treating Capes $42.00 ea.
(1) Blue Wildebeest Clean/Bleach $96.00 ea.
(1) BW Capes $44.00 ea.
(1) Hartebeest C/B $96.00 ea.
(1) Hartebeest Capes $42.00 ea.
(1) Eland C/B $100.00 ea.
(1) Eland Capes $56.00 ea.
(2) Kudu E/B $96.00 ea.
(2) Kudu Capes $44.00 ea.
(3) Warthog C/B $85.00 ea.
(3) Warthog Capes $18.00 ea.
(3) Warthog Tusks $ 8.00 pr.
(3) Sprinbuck C/B $60.00 ea.
(3) Springbuck Capes $16.00 ea.
(1) Mt. Zebra C/B $96.00 ea.
(1) Zebra Cape $70.00 ea.
(1) steenbuck C/B $48.00 ea

Packing $303.45, Documentation $75.00

Total $2401.45 Yes they have Clean and Bleach of a Zebra Skull

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phoenixdawg,
Who did you use in Namibia for D+P and shipping?

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just a vote for Andy Hunter's services. I've used him many times and have found him beyond honest, reliable and fair.
Regards,
Inyati

Posts: 47 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 26 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I am not sure why you are so surprised...the inflation rate is a bazillion percent in Zimbabwe...why is it you think this would not apply to Taxidermy services

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
That sounds like quite a bit to me for dipping, cleaning and packing. Some months ago I sent them $1700.00 for 5 cape buffalo of mine, but that included tanning some of them for leather?

In years past they have done a great job for me on other things.

I got hit hard from Tanzania a few years ago. Everything in Tanzania was a screw you deal from the start. I had about 15 animals, including a leopard-dip and shipping was $7500.00. I almost croaked!!!!! But what are you going to do, they have your feet to the fire if you want your trophies? Then they could not fill out the paperwork properly and I nearly had to send the entire shipment back to them!!! After being held by US F&W for a couple of months finally the only thing I lost was a zebra skin! But it was touch and go for awhile!

I still have the 5 buffalo at Bulawayo and 2 elephants from November 2007! Still waiting!
Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have to charge quite a lot to give a proper kickback to the outfitter. JMO
Adrian

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
Just got notified about 2 weeks ago that my stuff from my May 2008 hunt is finally ready to be shipped from teh taxidermist. My stuff is a combo dip and pack and some tanned items (3 full rugs and a couple of tails and backskins). The taxidermist is Otijinwarango (spelling?) and I don't know who they used for the tanning of the skins, which are a full zebra, blue wildebeest and impala and a waterbok and red hartebeest backsin. Plus I have capes and skulls from teh other 9 animals. Also a wood plaque in the shape of Namibia is part of this. Total cost for this to the taxidermist is a shade over 2K. Pam F is going to do the shipping for me and the prelim quote from here for shipping (airfreight) to Seattle, WA is coming in at $1.900 and some change. All a lot of $$ to be sure, but not sure if I'll get back to Africa again and I'm willing to pay for this to get my trophies back. Of course still have to get shoulder mounts done on 5 of theses animals, BUT I'm having thqt done by a taxidermist here in WA. On my first truip to Namibia in 2003, my stuff at that time went thru Reiser's, and I don't recall those costs at that time, tho the shipment was smaller abck then too. The only thing about all this that gripes my butt, is the time it takes, but I've been told the tanning was the delay, but who really knows. The other bitch I have is that the taxidermist hasn't been able to tell me wire transfer fees, and so had to best guess that extra amount that the bank takes in Namibia for receipt of the money into the clients account there. At least I don't have to pay out going wire transfer fees thanks to my bank here when I route the money thru my checking account.

All the price to pay if one wants more than pictures, whcih are great, but for me having part of the trophy is good too. Some day I'd like to do a cull/manegement hunt, especially in Namibia and especially for gemsbok, and I've seen such a hunt advertised here on AR by the TJ Safari company ( I think), and from something like that my only "trophies" would be pictures.
Costs on all things safari related keep going up and we as hunters have to make up our own minds on home much of what you want to pay.

Willi

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usewd Caspers Tax. in Winhoek Namibia last year.
I hunted in April of 2008.

Was notified that the trophies were ready to ship in the fall of 2008--(Just dip&pack only.)

they just hit state-side two weeks ago-----typical Africa----- nothing moves quickly other than ele on charge! hilbily

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:
It includes 22 animals, 6-8 of them just skulls, Giraffe cape and Buffalo cape,Crocodile and various other shoulder mounts, so it is a large Safari, BUT, 2950.00!!

Jerry

Do you perhaps have a detailed breakdown of the total amount? I would like to comment, but it is difficult not knowing the details. Just looking at the total is completely meaningless.

Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My fee's from Taxidery Consultants International April 2008 hunt:

1 buffalo

1 waterbuck

1 baboon

1 elephant: including skull, 6 panals, 2 ears, 4 feet, Skull, 2 40 lbs tusks, and a leg bone.

Total cost:

Dipping: $1590

packing: $625

Gov. Levy $258

total: $2473

Are these resonable fees?

In addition, I was informed by Fauna & Flora that my shipment will arrive in New York by March 25.

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Balla Balla,
Here is the breakdown.

7 Impala skulls
3 Impala skins
1 Impala cape and backskin
1 Zebra rug skin
1 Bushbuck cape and backskin
1 Duiker cape and backskin
3 warthogs
2 warthog skins
1 Warthog cape and backskin
1 Bushpig Cape and backskin
1 Buffalo Cape and backskin
1 Giraffe Cape and backskin
1 Crocodile full skin
1 Eland Cape and backskin
1 Kudu Cape and backskin
1 Waterbuck Cape and backskin
1 Wildebeeste Cape and backskin

Dip 2270.00
Pack 375
gov levy 322
ttll 2967.00

The head count has never mattered in the past, nearly all PH's charge a set charge for dip and pack on Dangerous game hunts 500-1000.00 is the usual charge. Like a said before, Andy Hunter's dip and pack company ( who is very reputable by the way) would have charged 500.00 for this shipment. Also I've never seen a gov. levy charged on a dip and pack bill.
I will again make the point, if you guys are hunting in Zim this year, this is the kind of charges you will recieve if you PH uses Taxidermy Enterprizes.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In regards to Taxidermy Enterprises in Zimbabwe, I have said this before and I will say it again, the only reason you should run from them is that you cannot fly!! I for the life of me, cannot understand why they are still in business.

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally lob my buiness at Andy Hunter Winkbut... Zim parks have introduced new fees including 2% extra levee on each trophy etc, and they charge you US$150 for each permit- even when they make a mistake and have to re-issue it- you still get to flick them another $150.

It is a thankless job and how Andy hasn't already got stomach ulcers....

BTW there are many WORSE companies than taxidermy ent. in zim

Lastly cost of living in Zim in US$ terms has risen by 2-300% in the last six months since the economy officially dollerised.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote