THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Carrying Two Seperate Rifles With You, Daily, When Hunting?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying Two Seperate Rifles With You, Daily, When Hunting?
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Every now and then, I get asked about the advantages of having an additional rifle being carried by one of the trackers, as well as the one you normally carry.

Such as two different calibers, or even different actions - a bolt and a double.

I thought of posting this here for you to tell us your opinions.

Personally, I don't shoot doubles.

In fact, I don't even own a single double.

Taking two separate rifles on a hunt; I have done it once, and will not ever doing it again.

We were hunting sable, and for that I had a 270 Ackley. And just in case we come across anything bigger, such as a buffalo or an elephant, I had one of our trackers carry my 416 Rigby Improved.

Not far after leaving the truck, I got cold feet, as I wasn't really happy with anyone carrying my rifle.

I took my rifle from the tracker, and left it behind a tree to pick up on the way back to the truck.

End of story for me taking two rifles on a hunt.

Ever since, I have used a single rifle that is suitable for everything.

My 375/404.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68628 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I always carry two rifles. Will never take only one as I've had one break in the field on a previous hunt.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Took two my last time over. My Hoffman .375 H&H, which has been used to kill everything I hunted in Africa and an Old English Double in 450 3 1/4 NE. Turned out to be a good thing I had two. My PH needed one.

sofa

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I always carry two rifles. Will never take only one as I've had one break in the field on a previous hunt.

You took a Blaser? Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I took Saeed's question to be whether you carry two rifles while hunting, not whether you travel with two rifles. I generally pack two rifles, for the reason Todd mentioned, in case one breaks. I keep both rifles on the vehicle but once we leave the vehicle, we only take one rifle.

Mike

Posts: 21667 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
While I do not relish the idea of one of the trackers carrying one of my rifles, I have done it a few times. I always carry my iron sighted double myself - no exceptions! I will sometimes have a trusted tracker carry my scoped Dakota .375 H&H in case the opportunity for a longer range shot at a plains game animal presents itself. The other reason is that if the situation gets a bit sticky, the trusted tracker (his name is Dunwork), who I know is a proficient rifle shot, just might save my skin because he is carrying my backup rifle.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take 2 or 3 with on the hunt and have all of them on the truck.

I think only occasionally did I have one of the trackers carry one of the rifles for an "in case" shot at distant PG, but since my usual battery is .375H&H, .416 Rigby and just recently added a .470, there really isn't that much difference practically between the bolt guns.

I have given the .375 to one of the trackers following a buff that had been wounded.

I can't say that having multiple guns on a walk is something I do much of, and at least in theory, my view is any of them should work for anything I want to shoot (which is why I put a scope on the double- I guess I'm a heretic.)

Posts: 10969 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just one that I am very familiar with and cannot confuse the ammo.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Just one that I am very familiar with and cannot confuse the ammo.

I took two once and they were in identical cases. I ended up in the field with a rifle in one caliber and ammo for the other. It sucked.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I took Saeed's question to be whether you carry two rifles while hunting, not whether you travel with two rifles. I generally pack two rifles, for the reason Todd mentioned, in case one breaks. I keep both rifles on the vehicle but once we leave the vehicle, we only take one rifle.

You got it right Mike.

What I meant was taking two rifles on your daily hunts.

Not taking two rifles with you on safari.

In fact, I take two identical rifles on safari every year.

I use one, and my friends use the other one.

Posts: 68628 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Saeed:

When hunting dangerous game I will have both my .470 NE double rifle and a light plains game rifle (usually a .275 Rigby) on the truck.

Upon leaving the vehicle on a stalk for an elephant or buffalo, I will only take my big gun - the focus being singular. However, should the stalk be for plains game - with dangerous game still on license - I will have a tracker carry my double in the event we encounter the unexpected buff. Am I concerned about a tracker carrying my double? No, not at all. My experience is that native team members show greater care for my rifles than I do. And while I would never ask someone to carry my principle rifle, I see no issue at all in having someone carry my second rifle.

Once when hunting with Buzz Charlton we left the vehicle to conduct a brief recce for elephant. Carrying my .470, we weren't more than quarter of a mile from the truck when my nemesis - a hyena - trotted within 250m of where we stood. Of course, had someone brought my bolt action I wouldn't today be totally and ridiculously fixated with whacking this elusive trophy.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Why were you not happy with the tracker carrying you gun?

Generally if you use a calibre that is suitable for both DG and PG then you cannot go wrong. The .375, .404 and .416 are all versatile calibers.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I take both rifles afield at times, and at other times, only one. It really depends on what we are hunting, and to some extent, what stage of the hunt we are on.

For instance, if on a tuskless / leopard hunt as I was on in 2011, I'll carry the 500NE double with my ammo on my belt, while the tracker will carry my empty "light" rifle in case we spot impala, kudu, or the like for bait animals. Whether that "light" rifle be a scoped 375 as in the past, or currently my 9.3x74R double, the ammo for that rifle is carried on the stock in an elastic or leather ammo carrier that holds 9 or 10 rounds. In this case, there is zero opportunity to mix up the ammo and rifle and the "light" gun is being carried empty.

If on an ele bull or even tuskless / buffalo, I'm less likely to carry both guns upon leaving the truck as either game animal we are after is intended to be taken with the double in an up close scenario and we wouldn't likely interrupt that hunt to take a target of opportunity such as an impala or warthog. If we can't get close enough for the double and open sights, it just won't get done as I have little to no interest in sniping DG from a distance.

Now, here is an exception to that statement. Last year, on my Zim lion hunt, we had lion, buffalo bull, and tuskless on quota. Obviously, lion was the overriding priority. That means we needed bait!! In that case, sometime around day 5 or 6, as our currently hung baits were beginning to go rotten, we desperately needed to replenish the aging meat. Therefore, upon leaving the truck to track two dugga boys, we carried both the scoped 9.3x74R (trackers carried) and 577NE double (I carried). In this case, with bait for the lion being more important than the "experience" of taking a buffalo bull up close and personal with the double, we carried both in the event that a sniping scenario was our only opportunity. Luckily, we closed to 60 yards on the bull and I took it with the open sighted big bore.

But this scenario illustrates why we might carry both rifles upon leaving the truck, and how that decision varies depending on "what" is being hunted, the priority of our quota, and what stage of the hunt we are in. For instance, had we taken the lion early and no longer needed bait, taking the buffalo would have been an up close and personal with the open sighted big bore or nothing as that is my preference for DG hunting.

One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Like so many things in hunting, it comes down to personal choices.

To trust a gun bearer or not to trust a gun bearer? I have had no instance in over 20 years of a gun bearer damaging, in any way, any rifle a client may have asked him to carry.

I did have an incident whereby a client left his 375 double casually laying in the back of the cruiser, which, when the driver took the vehicle for refuelling, fell and broke the stock. That was careless on the client's side.

Not being able to shoot a plains game species because you are only carrying your 470 double as you search for elephant is all part of the hunting experience. This again is all a part of the frustrations and adds to the adventure.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Saeed,

Generally if you use a calibre that is suitable for both DG and PG then you cannot go wrong. The .375, .404 and .416 are all versatile calibers.

Andrew,

I just don't like anyone, who is not known to me, get anywhere near my rifle on safari.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

You got it right Mike.

What I meant was taking two rifles on your daily hunts.

Not taking two rifles with you on safari.

In fact, I take two identical rifles on safari every year.

I use one, and my friends use the other one.

I always take two rifles on safari or even on an Alaska or Canada hunt, as Todd says just in case one breaks down, the other one is capable of finishing the hunt.

For several years I had three double rifles, and had a scoped Ruger No1 re-barreled in the same chambering as the double. One was a 450/400 3 in, double, and a No1, a 450NE 3 ¼ in and a No1, and 500/450NE and a No1.

With each of these pairs I only had to carry one supply of cartridges on my belt. If either one of a pair broke the other was legal and capable of finishing the hunt! Sometimes the PH would carry the Ruger No1, but most times it was left in the hunting car!

I’ve been thinking about buying a factory Ruger No1 chambered for 9.3X74R to go with my Merkel double rifle chambered for the same cartridge, and another one chambered for 450/400NE 3in to match a double chambered the same way. Now that Ruger factory chambers the No1s for those two chamberings it cuts the cost of having the pairs.
...................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed:
I was expecting to hear you'd walked for miles and came out on the other side of the country and called for the truck. Then couldn't find your rifle when you went back looking.

I bought a BP Walker Colt revolver some yrs ago that looked like that very thing happened. It was laying next to a tree under oak leaves. From the looks of the rust etchings and stains on the stocks I'm sure it had spent at least one winter out there, maybe several. After ad's in the local paper for a month didn't turn up it's owner I bought it. Then polished things down best I could and refinished the stocks. It's a fine gun now and looks sharp.

I always take a couple extra rifles along in case someone in camp has a break down. They're good quality guns but, not top dollar. In over 45 yrs I've had to loan one once so far. The guys brand new 7mmWSM locked up and we couldn't get the action open. He killed an elk with my '06 solely because I was the only one along that owned more than one rifle and happened to take it along for just in case.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6002 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Saeed,

Andrew,

I just don't like anyone, who is not known to me, get anywhere near my rifle on safari.

Good policy. I noted here that some thought the tracker could use a firearm in case of emergency. Which is also not recommended.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry one rifle. Too much chance of messing things up When carrying two guns for me. I try to learn my bullet path and to hit what Im aiming at. And for me thats more important than anything else.

.416 rem.mag is my choice for all game. The only exeption is When I cull deer whith a 6,5x55 barrel. In the Blaser of course!

Posts: 193 | Location: Near the arctic circle, Norway | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
I typically travel with two rifles to Africa and each go to the field daily. There are times I have only taken a single rifle and this is usually dictated by quotas already being achieved by the outfitter.

Clearly this is a personal preference but I really enjoy taking multiple rifles and shooting them. Could care less about someone else carrying my other weapon.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The two rifles of the same cartridge head stamp has interested me in the name of simplicity. I believe this is a not allowed in SA but do other countries have issues with this and if so which ones?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always have taken two. My 375 rum and a 308.

Life member NRA
formally scrappy

Posts: 192 | Location: Ga | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

after seeing some of your videos it would surprise me if you allowed anyone to come near anything of yours, for fear some of the shinaghans would come back to you

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beware of the man who has but one rifle, He knows how to shoot it, If you know how to shoot a 375HH is all you will need

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Saeed,

Andrew,

Saeed,

Yet, you loan your rifle to Walter???? Odd! dancing

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience is limited to only 2 trips to Africa, but will take two on the trip, but only carry one during the day.

My "heavy" rifle is a 404 Jeff, so it will work well on plains game if we happen to run into something nice while hunting buffalo.

Matt

Posts: 36 | Location: New York | Registered: 22 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends.

If I am hunting only elephant, then I carry one gun. If I am hunting anything other than elephants, I carry one gun.

If elephants AND other game is on the agenda, the trackers have from time to time carried a gun while I carried the other. However, most of the time, I carried a single gun into the field.

I ALWAYS bring 2 rifles to camp.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shotgun46:
a 375HH is all you will need

Cringe! Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I've often thought about this, and have a question. Have any of you ever brought along a soft case that has a shoulder strap, to protect your secondary rifle (which is presumably being carried by a tracker) from scratches, dings, and dirt?

Just curious.....it seems to me like this would be a good idea.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want to have to worry about more than 1 rifle while hunting but I'm lucky enough to hunt with Mrs Blacktailer so I carry my 375 which will take care of anything but if I want the light rifle and there is time, I can use her 308.
The only cost is her extra trophy fees. Wink

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No sweat! Smiler

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
I've often thought about this, and have a question. Have any of you ever brought along a soft case that has a shoulder strap, to protect your secondary rifle (which is presumably being carried by a tracker) from scratches, dings, and dirt?

Just curious.....it seems to me like this would be a good idea.

Yes

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I do exactly as Mike Jines does. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always take a minimum of two rifles, but most of the time three (plus a shotgun). I do so for many reasons already mentioned above. One is in case of loss/damage for backup, but also I simply enjoy using different rifles that I own. Also, my wife too, always accompanies me on safari. I always carry the heavy rifle and she carries a medium. If I have three rifles, the light rifle stays on the truck until I am ready for it, and my wife then carries my heavy.

To my utter amazement, I showed up in Zim one time on a buffalo/leopard hunt, and my PH had NO rifle. Yes. He and I ended up sharing my 375H&H and 458 Lott. I've found that nothing can be taken for granted while on safari, so I have come to rely upon myself, as much as that can be done and is practical.

I am hoping to go to Africa again this coming summer. I was going to take three rifles again, but I will probably take only two; a 404 Jeffery and a 338 WM. But I will NEVER take only one rifle. Too many 'funny' things seem to be possible while far away from home.

Posts: 2623 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
In my early trips to Africa in the 1980s, I always took two rifles -- a .30-06 or a 7mm Rem Mag and a .458 Win Mag. In the 1990s, I only took my 7mm Rem Mag except for one to trip to Zambia where I also took a .416 Weatherby Magnum.

On three trips since 2000, I used only borrowed rifles and wondered why I hadn't started doing that much earlier. Traveling is simpler, and I've had absolutely no issues with the rifles I've used.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On all trips before the one in 2012 I have taken two. Usually my old trusty Rem. 721 30/06 and something (once a 470NE)and once my Husky 9.3x62. In 2012 I took only my 9.3x62 but then of course I had to shoot my buff with a borrowed FN 375 H&H because Delta did not ship my Tuffpak with clothing and rifle on time. They left it in Atlanta and then when shipping it to Vic Falls sent it to Livingston, Zambia instead. What a great airline!
I will most likely travel with only one rifle again on the next safari unless my son goes with me and then he needs one too,

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harry - That's about the ONLY time a Tuff Pak doesn't work and work well. When it's left behind. Big Grin

I only take one rifle, with a backup scope. Where I hunt there is a .500 double gun, , .458Winny, 300 H & H that can be used if the situation dictates it.

Since I only take one gun, obviously I only have one in the field and none on the cruiser.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to take two rifles on a stalk then you really have to let a tracker carry one. Especially if you are my size Big Grin

If you can't cop that idea, then do as Saeed does.

On a PG hunts I've found two rifles are superfluous, but after having a scope go bad on me this year in Namibia....I will be taking a second zeroed scope in rings as back up.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a backup scope which is a 2.5 Leupold with heavy reticle.
It is small and light and I just put it in gray foam pipe insulation and close it all up with blue painters tape. Never had to use it but I can put it on about anything. Stick it in my Tuffpak with the rifle and away I go.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by shotgun46:
a 375HH is all you will need

Cringe! Roll Eyes

A 375H&H that WORKS may be all you need, but regardless of chambering if the rifle is broken, you are in trouble if you have only one rifle!

................................................................... Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote