New
Find
Notify
Tools

Botswana Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been seeing some things on television lately that at least part of the hunting areas in Botswana's Okavango delta area are going to be closed to hunting soon. Although it's unlikely that I'll ever get there, I'm curious as to whats going on and how much of the delta will be closed to hunting.
Thanks
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all of the Delta is going to photographic. I believe Johan Calitz has the last lease for hunting in the Delta which runs out after the 2012 season.

This may change in the future, but not under their current president.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all of the Delta is going to photographic. I believe Johan Calitz has the last lease for hunting in the Delta which runs out after the 2012 season.

You're essentially correct, the Delta has for some time been "dual use" but the eco-safari business has grown to the point where there have been conflicts, so in the future the Delta will be reserved for non-hunters.

I believe that several PH's are still hunting this year and that Johan Calitz has three leases with leases that permit him to hunt for two more years. Calitz will be the last PH hunting there.

As an aside, from what I've been told by PH's that have hunted there in recent years, the eco-tourists are coming in such numbers as to cause damage to the environment. There are many more of them than there have ever been hunters -- although each leaves behind a LOT fewer dollars -- and they seem not to be too careful about the mess they create. I haven't seen it first hand, but I have little doubt that it's an accurate depiction. Crowds of people from any ideological bent are bound to leave lots more tracks than do relatively few hunters.

It's a real shame as the Delta is one of the best hunting areas in Africa, but its loss to hunting in a country where the government is notoriously anti-hunting is not a real surprise.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the combimed "ecco-tourist" and Ele damage, Botswana is headed for hell in a hand basket!
Greeff and I were hunting Matetsi 6 years ago and often driving the border road....ecco-tourist would wave and we back....then one day we needed an Impala to freshen a Leopard bait and they watched in horror as I whacked one....they quit waving!
Sounds like a good thing I have already booked my hunt with Johan for 2012!!!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom In Tennessee,

Are you going to NG32???? Johan was completely booked for this unit through 2012, so my husband took CT2. A cancellation is the only reason we are going to NG32 in a week!!!

Check with Johan on taking the helicopter to camp instead of the boat ride, the trip is supposed to be fantastic flying above the Delta.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HUNT.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how long the eco-wienies will take to lose interest and bankrupt the country?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I wonder how long the eco-wienies will take to lose interest and bankrupt the country?

Rich
DRSS

A long, long time. They have a few bits of very compact, shiny carbon they sell to the first world that finance pretty much everything. Revenue from hunting pales in comparison.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:

There are concessions outside what is technically considered the delta both to the east and west. Jim Van Rensberg's Kgori Safaris has a huge concession to the east (Kwatale) and also hunts elephant way to the west.

I may be wrong but I think that those less-photographic areas will still be hunting concessions.

Kgori Safaris

: : :

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Kathi. Its me. Terry. Long time no hear.
So you off to Bots soon ? Just ele ? You should get a good one there. I wish I was there.

Chinanga Safaris
Phone : 263) 9 247021
Mobiles : 263) 712211822 & 712613613
e-mail : terryfenn@yoafrica.com

Posts: 30 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Hope your season is going well, sent you a PM.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah! There are some area closures in Botswana. There's just more bucks in the high end photo safaris than in hunting. Yes there is!!!

It does seem that elephant hunting in areas not conducive to photo safaris will continue. These hunts are spendie but success on big elephant is very good there. Ranch hunting also seems secure for the future and if my experience there last year was an indication Botswana offers some of the best ranch hunting in Africa.

Botswana also is a very friendly country with no hassles transitting in and out of country with graft almost unknown. Botswana is just a great safari destination.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote